shape
carat
color
clarity

Inherited Grandfather’s vintage Omega Seamaster - need to bring her back to glory!

In case anyone is curious, I went to Omega today. This is the Mag Mile Chicago location.

The young woman who worked there was one of the rudest sales associates I have ever had the displeasure of working with. It was truly about a 3-minute interaction.

She estimated ~$2k ($550 full service, $930 dial refurbishment, $400+ for strap plus some other fee...) which did take me by surprise. I said I wanted to talk to my husband, and she took that to mean that I was incapable of affording it.

Within 30 seconds she asked me if I could even afford to extend the credit to send the watch to Switzerland. She mentioned 3 times that I would have to extend the credit before she considered taking it...what?!

I asked if she could show me some strap options. She said, "it will be black or brown, they will send photos." So...nothing in the store that looks remotely like an Omega strap for me to see, huh?

As I left she said in a condescending manner, "Yes, I'm so sorry it is so expensive and I just don't think it will be worth it unless the watch has sentimental value to you."

Apparently, I deigned to waste her time with such a worthless timepiece! I am just SHOCKED at her attitude. I plan on complaining to the manager.

She also shared that they would never accept the watch if I decided to wait to mail in it later, which directly contradicts @LLJsmom's experience?!

Anyways. Bummer. I am still considering sending it to Omega, as I found out the watch was serviced by some random watch repair person my mom found, and I worry pieces have already been replaced anyways...

Last edited:
In case anyone is curious, I went to Omega today. This is the Mag Mile Chicago location.

The young woman who worked there was one of the rudest sales associates I have ever had the displeasure of working with. It was truly about a 3-minute interaction.

She estimated ~$2k ($550 full service, $930 dial refurbishment, $400+ for strap plus some other fee...) which did take me by surprise. I said I wanted to talk to my husband, and she took that to mean that I was incapable of affording it.

Within 30 seconds she asked me if I could even afford to extend the credit to send the watch to Switzerland. She mentioned 3 times that I would have to extend the credit before she considered taking it...what?!

I asked if she could show me some strap options. She said, "it will be black or brown, they will send photos." So...nothing in the store that looks remotely like an Omega strap for me to see, huh?

As I left she said in a condescending manner, "Yes, I'm so sorry it is so expensive and I just don't think it will be worth it unless the watch has sentimental value to you."

Apparently, I deigned to waste her time with such a worthless timepiece! I am just SHOCKED at her attitude. I plan on complaining to the manager.

She also shared that they would never accept the watch if I decided to wait to mail in it later, which directly contradicts @LLJsmom's experience?!

Anyways. Bummer. I am still considering sending it to Omega, as I found out the watch was serviced by some random watch repair person my mom found, and I worry pieces have already been replaced anyways...

OMG i feel your shock
what a cow !
defiatly complain
im disgusted by the 'service' you received
dont just complain to the manager/ owner, I'd be mentioning it to Omega (when the watch is fixed)
after a lifetime in sales (all be it not in luxury goods) i would tell that condescending little bi*ch you can not ever just assume what people can and cant afford
a good shop keeper just cannot afford to judge a customer, whether it be their car, clothes, accessories, speech or even their adress
that girl has a lot to learn
has she never seen Pretty woman ?
she doesn't deserve that job !
i want to slap her with a cold fish and my cat Borris is already preparing a special delivery of some special ' treats ' from her dirt box to leave at her doorstep in a flaming paper bag

wowzers..yeah not got service...she think us "little women" need our husbands for money...screw her....this makes me angry...I have hit that wall myself...this is 2021 we are are women we dont need our husbands or their money to make any decisions...dang.....sorry you had to go thru that

Why do people spew garbage? Just ignore people that should never be in sales. Not her calling. My DH got notified that the watch work was done and he got charged $625. It’s on its way back. Will post pics when done.
They did the following.
1. Movement not performing to factory specs. Fixed it. Dismantling, cleaning, assembly, oiling of watch movement.
2. Crystal scratched. Replaced.
3. Crown worn. Replaced.
4. Replaced push buttons and gaskets
5. Cleaning of case an bracelet to factory specs.

He called the swatch group per instructions on website. He discussed it all on the phone with them. He never went through a store. You don’t need to go through a store.

What an incredibly rude salesperson! It boils my blood when they act like this. You absolutely need to speak to a manager about this!

But I’ll echo what LLJsmom said - she probably has zero clue what she’s talking about, and if it’s an AD or retailer and not an official Omega store they may tack on some fees of their own that you don’t need to pay. This happened with my mother - she had a luxury watch (I’m forgetting the brand now, but it was one of the Swiss ones) that she needed to get refurbished so she took it to the nearest AD, who quoted her quite a high price, couldn’t show her strap options etc. (Though they were nice about it, not rude).

Well she was travelling to Switzerland a month later, so she took it with her there and took it in to that brand’s flagship store, and the price they quoted her was significantly lower, plus they showed her the strap options etc.

If calling and mailing in is an option, I would definitely take it!

OMG i feel your shock
what a cow !
defiatly complain
im disgusted by the 'service' you received
dont just complain to the manager/ owner, I'd be mentioning it to Omega (when the watch is fixed)
after a lifetime in sales (all be it not in luxury goods) i would tell that condescending little bi*ch you can not ever just assume what people can and cant afford
a good shop keeper just cannot afford to judge a customer, whether it be their car, clothes, accessories, speech or even their adress
that girl has a lot to learn
has she never seen Pretty woman ?
she doesn't deserve that job !
i want to slap her with a cold fish and my cat Borris is already preparing a special delivery of some special ' treats ' from her dirt box to leave at her doorstep in a flaming paper bag

Thank you for commiserating. I was so mad and humiliated by her attitude! What a terrible representation of the brand. And it’s true you never know what kind of money people do or don’t have. You should never judge anyone for how they look!

Thank you @Daisys and Diamonds , @LLJsmom @AllAboardTheBlingTrain @diamondringlover I really appreciate it

I was so upset by the whole interaction. I shouldn’t let that sort of thing bug me, but it really did get under my skin!

This was indeed an official Omega store which made it all the more shocking. I spoke to a manager and he explained how the process actually works and she was wrong about almost everything she said. When I added “she told me that it’s not worth it to repair unless it has sentimental value” he was especially displeased. For a company that stands by their products no matter how old, that is a poor representation of their values.

He was very nice and insisted that I work with him directly (if I decide to even work with a store). After that experience, I am going to reach out to a few independent repair people just to see what their quotes might be and test the waters.

I’ll keep folks posted on the decision.

Why do people spew garbage? Just ignore people that should never be in sales. Not her calling. My DH got notified that the watch work was done and he got charged $625. It’s on its way back. Will post pics when done.
They did the following.
1. Movement not performing to factory specs. Fixed it. Dismantling, cleaning, assembly, oiling of watch movement.
2. Crystal scratched. Replaced.
3. Crown worn. Replaced.
4. Replaced push buttons and gaskets
5. Cleaning of case an bracelet to factory specs.

He called the swatch group per instructions on website. He discussed it all on the phone with them. He never went through a store. You don’t need to go through a store.

So curious to see how it turns out!

Thank you @Daisys and Diamonds , @LLJsmom @AllAboardTheBlingTrain @diamondringlover I really appreciate it

I was so upset by the whole interaction. I shouldn’t let that sort of thing bug me, but it really did get under my skin!

This was indeed an official Omega store which made it all the more shocking. I spoke to a manager and he explained how the process actually works and she was wrong about almost everything she said. When I added “she told me that it’s not worth it to repair unless it has sentimental value” he was especially displeased. For a company that stands by their products no matter how old, that is a poor representation of their values.

He was very nice and insisted that I work with him directly (if I decide to even work with a store). After that experience, I am going to reach out to a few independent repair people just to see what their quotes might be and test the waters.

I’ll keep folks posted on the decision.

I completely understand why you got mad. I’ve had it happen a few times when someone has looked down on me / judged my ability to buy because of either my age or my skin colour and it just fills me with fury whenever it happens. For example, there is an airline that I will refuse to fly using (so much so that I will cancel a trip if that’s the only airline) because of their condescending attitude towards my ability to afford a business class ticket. Frankly, I refuse to award such behaviour with my patronage. I’m glad you told the manager and I hope the lady received some censure/retraining for her behaviour.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

The watch is back!!! Looks absolutely great!!
Here is the before.
03DFD279-B63A-4B2B-96DB-42AB621018EA.jpeg
Here is the after.
449B714D-9BB4-4132-BB16-F745B207D2EF.jpeg0C7D1DFE-454E-4DD6-B902-C4FCD79448B7.jpeg36CA0B96-A264-4E07-AC3E-15BF510DC8B7.jpeg171F42FF-6D8B-4484-B761-F638E33747AE.jpeg
AF89B0A3-E071-494D-AD51-7A948FA4F599.jpeg
Here is a copy of the work order and also every part that they replaced was returned to us.
128176EE-8108-4B6B-A7DE-872DF15785D5.jpegB79E7F8E-4C9D-47DC-AEBE-31D8812B2C1D.jpeg

Sorry, @Cerulean should have probably tagged you. The watch came back. My DH is thrilled with the results. Short of getting a new strap and a whole new face, it's like a brand new watch. He is very happy with the service.

Thank you for commiserating. I was so mad and humiliated by her attitude! What a terrible representation of the brand. And it’s true you never know what kind of money people do or don’t have. You should never judge anyone for how they look!

no salesperson ever has the right to humiliate a potential customer

no salesperson ever has the right to humiliate a potential customer

It’s true. When I spoke to her manager, he was not pleased. The assistant store manager was much nicer and asked that I speak to him only in the future, which is a relief!

The watch is back!!! Looks absolutely great!!
Here is the before.
03DFD279-B63A-4B2B-96DB-42AB621018EA.jpeg
Here is the after.
449B714D-9BB4-4132-BB16-F745B207D2EF.jpeg0C7D1DFE-454E-4DD6-B902-C4FCD79448B7.jpeg36CA0B96-A264-4E07-AC3E-15BF510DC8B7.jpeg171F42FF-6D8B-4484-B761-F638E33747AE.jpeg
AF89B0A3-E071-494D-AD51-7A948FA4F599.jpeg
Here is a copy of the work order and also every part that they replaced was returned to us.
128176EE-8108-4B6B-A7DE-872DF15785D5.jpegB79E7F8E-4C9D-47DC-AEBE-31D8812B2C1D.jpeg

Oh this looks incredible! And love that they have the parts back. I think will ultimately go this route.

thanks so much for sharing your experience and photos, it really is appreciated!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP