shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry history buffs - please help me date these earrings!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I have had these earrings for at least 35 years. I bought them at an estate sale, because they fit the bohemian look that was popular in the 1970s.

I''m attaching three pictures: front, back, close-up of ear wire.

They are not marked. The craftsmanship is rather crude (see detail on photos). Stones are set crooked, the rope detailing is not closed neatly. There appears to be glue in random places. The ear wires look like they were attached later by solder.

I have no idea if the stones are turquoise stones or turquoise colored plastic. I''ve never cleaned or polished them with any chemicals, and the metal, although not marked, appears to have aged the way silver would age.

Any ideas?

CIMG1224.JPG

2 of 3

CIMG1228.jpg

3 of 3

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

CIMG1230.jpg

Date: 3/30/2010 2:05:44 PM
Author:sarap333
I have had these earrings for at least 35 years. I bought them at an estate sale, because they fit the bohemian look that was popular in the 1970s.

I''m attaching three pictures: front, back, close-up of ear wire.

They are not marked. The craftsmanship is rather crude (see detail on photos). Stones are set crooked, the rope detailing is not closed neatly. There appears to be glue in random places. The ear wires look like they were attached later by solder.

I have no idea if the stones are turquoise stones or turquoise colored plastic. I''ve never cleaned or polished them with any chemicals, and the metal, although not marked, appears to have aged the way silver would age.

Any ideas?
At first glance the earrings look like early 1970s work.The turquoise is genuine and un treated.This is why it has discolored over time(it take a long period of wear to get the green color)The earrings could go back to the 60s,but im my opinion not older then that.

Thanks, Jewelerman. I always thought they were 1940''s-''50''s "tourist turquoise" - the jewelry people would bring back from road trips to the Southwest U.S. or Mexico.

When I first bought them, I wasn''t even sure the stones were real. But now, looking at them under the loop, I can see that they are stones. It''s nice to know that they are untreated turquoise.

The craftsmanship is just so odd - crude almost.

Very pretty!

I can''t help with information but they''re very interesting earrings :)

They could be victorian? Or maybe they were made in the 60s in Morocco or something.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP