shape
carat
color
clarity

Just buying a setting from James Allen

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone just bought a setting from James Allen and sent in a diamond to have them set it? For a few reasons I’m thinking of resetting my ER and I really love their cushion shaped halo for a round stone. It’s also 25% off at the moment.

I have not, but other posters have. I think there is a setting fee of under $200 usd. Make sure you have insurance on your diamond during setting as I don't think they cover stones they did not set.

I have not, but other posters have. I think there is a setting fee of under $200 usd. Make sure you have insurance on your diamond during setting as I don't think they cover stones they did not set.

Good to know about insurance. I think I read the setting fee was $100 but may be more for larger stones. Trying to decide if it’s worth it.

I have. The setting fee is 100, and they also charge 100 more if it's a larger stone. I think if it's over 7mm. The service is very good and responsive, and the nice thing is if you get a James Allen setting they'll still honor the regular lifetime warranty of free cleanings and prong tightenings and such.

I have. It was an easy process. I had to pay $100 for setting fee and $100 for over 7mm (pear) which was kind of ridiculous. I am very
happy with the reset. They did tiny claw prongs which I think you have to also pay extra for if they dont come with the setting. I think its
another $100.
2016-03-11 15.43.06-1 (1).jpg

Does anyone know if JA would make the setting and send it to a local jeweler to be set? I have always wondered about this.

Does anyone know if JA would make the setting and send it to a local jeweler to be set? I have always wondered about this.

I do not know but have not heard of them doing it for anyone on PS. You should call and post so we all know!

I do not know but have not heard of them doing it for anyone on PS. You should call and post so we all know!
They sell their setting without a stone. So, you'd just need to buy it and give to the jeweler. I'm not sure they will mail to an unknown party vs. the payee. So, they "know" WF and BGD and will mail settings or diamonds to them for a buyer (at least when all within the US). For a local jeweler, not sure if they have a rule vs. mailing to the buyer.

Is it typically $100-200 to have a stone set at a different jeweler? I’ve never had it done.

Is it typically $100-200 to have a stone set at a different jeweler? I’ve never had it done.
That's about right in my experience.

That's about right in my experience.

Thanks. That’s good to know! I’d have no problem with JA setting it but wouldn’t want to pay a huge amount over if it was normally much less expensive.

Is the QC going to be the same now that they're owned under the same umbrella as Kay Jewelers, Zales and Jared the Galleria of Jewelry?

The evolution from its origin as dirt cheap diamonds... something to keep in mind. It would be nice to hear the opinions of someone who's a repeat JA customer in its various forms.

Thanks. That’s good to know! I’d have no problem with JA setting it but wouldn’t want to pay a huge amount over if it was normally much less expensive.
I wouldn’t have a problem with them setting it. I just have a major fear of sending off my diamond in the mail. I am weird about that kind of stuff.

I wouldn’t have a problem with them setting it. I just have a major fear of sending off my diamond in the mail. I am weird about that kind of stuff.

I hear you!

Is the QC going to be the same now that they're owned under the same umbrella as Kay Jewelers, Zales and Jared the Galleria of Jewelry?

The evolution from its origin as dirt cheap diamonds... something to keep in mind. It would be nice to hear the opinions of someone who's a repeat JA customer in its various forms.

Interesting! I didn’t know that!

I really would suggest having a halo ring made by David Klass over ordering one from a vendor like JA. That way the halo can be made to exactly fit your stone and it will be higher quality, too.

I do love his work but am working in a budget.

I do love his work but am working in a budget.

Have you actually reached out to him and got a quote? Only asking because I went the custom route for my girl and had concerns with cost as well. Turns out it was cheaper for me, plus I got better quality and something unique.

Have you actually reached out to him and got a quote? Only asking because I went the custom route for my girl and had concerns with cost as well. Turns out it was cheaper for me, plus I got better quality and something unique.

It’s worth a shot! I’ll give it a try!

It’s worth a shot! I’ll give it a try!

Someone on this forum (there's a backstory) got her double halo ring made by David Klass for around $1,100.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/attachments/1531110154129_45531-quad-jpg.637693/

The quality on James Allen rings is not bad, but probably not to the standard of David Klass rings. One benefit of going with James Allen though is that they do have very good service, and a lifetime guarantee. So for example if you need to have your prongs tightened it's only going to cost you 30 bucks for the cost of Fedexing it to them.

Someone on this forum (there's a backstory) got her double halo ring made by David Klass for around $1,100.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/attachments/1531110154129_45531-quad-jpg.637693/

The quality on James Allen rings is not bad, but probably not to the standard of David Klass rings. One benefit of going with James Allen though is that they do have very good service, and a lifetime guarantee. So for example if you need to have your prongs tightened it's only going to cost you 30 bucks for the cost of Fedexing it to them.

That's a good price for the double halo. There are ways to make that ring more economical, starting with something as simple as a single halo. But that battle is for another day. I'm not sure how old that pricing is so it would be unfair to comment too much.

FYI, you might ask DK about things like prong tightening, etc. In some of my very limited conversations, they made it sound like if I FedEx the ring back to them, then they would take care of me from a service standpoint.

That's a good price for the double halo. There are ways to make that ring more economical, starting with something as simple as a single halo. But that battle is for another day. I'm not sure how old that pricing is so it would be unfair to comment too much.

FYI, you might ask DK about things like prong tightening, etc. In some of my very limited conversations, they made it sound like if I FedEx the ring back to them, then they would take care of me from a service standpoint.

It's not old at all, but as someone else reminded me, there's a "backstory" so YMMV: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-jeff-white.241712/

I bought a setting g from JA during the Mother’s Day sale. I’ll be honest, I didn’t expect much for the price I paid and it exceeded my expectations. I did have to pay a $100 setting fee and $100 for a 7mm or larger stone. I had the exact measurements of my stone from the GIA certificate. And I asked to have them make it and send to me and I’d have my stone set locally. But they said because of the setting style they had to have my diamond on hand. This setting won’t be forever. But it’s great for right now.

Thanks all! Yes, talked to JA yesterday and it’s $200 to set it (because over 7mm) and $30 for shipping with insurance. They would not send me the setting without setting the stone because the halo will need to have the exact measurements— not sure if they would if it wasn’t a halo. I’ll contact DK and explore that path as well. I do really love the look of the JA one. Does anyone know a PS who has this setting?

I bought a setting g from JA during the Mother’s Day sale. I’ll be honest, I didn’t expect much for the price I paid and it exceeded my expectations. I did have to pay a $100 setting fee and $100 for a 7mm or larger stone. I had the exact measurements of my stone from the GIA certificate. And I asked to have them make it and send to me and I’d have my stone set locally. But they said because of the setting style they had to have my diamond on hand. This setting won’t be forever. But it’s great for right now.

Thank you! How long did the setting process take? Also, what setting did you go with?

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP