shape
carat
color
clarity

K color vvs2 in white gold settings?

90marv90

Rough_Rock
Would this k color vvs2 look too yellow in a white gold engagement setting and foremost your thoughts on this stone Screenshot_20240704_124313_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240704_123652_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240704_123652_Chrome.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 28

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a fan of this one unfortunately. The cut doesn't look good

90marv90

Rough_Rock
Ok thanks for replying back

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
K color is fine in white metal. It is still a K -- there is no getting around that. But for many people K is plenty "white" and it won't look dull or dingy. My diamonds are all in this color range and they look nice and bright and white in their platinum setting.

For the style of cut, this one looks OK. Is it an AGSO cut grade? I think so. And H&A. Which means it is very precisely cut and it passes the AGS cut grade optics testing which is a fairly high bar

However, it is not the preferred proportions of most people around here seeking a superior cut RB. I think this is what lovesdogs means by her post. The patterning is unusual and it might favour white light return over fire. A smaller table among other small changes would bring it more in line with classic ideal proportions. But I think to some degree that is a matter of personal preference. This is a well cut diamond.

90marv90

Rough_Rock
Oh ok I think I understand what you are saying is because the table is on the higher of the acceptable range it may slightly too large to give the good fire return which will only let the eye see the white light/sparkle return which I would not know unless I physically have the stone too which one it fires off
Will a K color be ok with a setting with side stones on the setting without things looking too awkward.
what are your thoughts on the light leakage on that stone also thanks for everyone's help

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I don’t like it much. It is AGS. The cut says “true hearts.” Wonder what cut grade AGS gave it. Can you view the grading report and see what cut score AGS gave it? Find out if it is AGS 000? A video might help.

Traditional wisdom says an AGS ideal cut that is on the shallow side might look near colorless face up. But you almost certainly will see tint from the side. Some people care (bugs me personally), some don’t.

Here’s a K in white gold. The first 3 are in the same location from various angles.

IMG_0592.jpeg IMG_0575.jpeg IMG_0569.jpeg IMG_0765.jpeg

90marv90

Rough_Rock
Screenshot_20240704_193838_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240704_124313_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240704_124313_Chrome.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 8

90marv90

Rough_Rock
The one pic on the blanket does look pretty yellow could that be because of it being an emerald cut ? But the one on your finger looks pretty white

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
I have a J color round brilliant stone that is within the PriceScope Community’s parameters for an excellent cut. (57 T, 61.9 D, crown angle 35, 40.8 pavilion angle). The round brilliant shape and cut helps camouflage some of the tint. The stone has a medium blue fluorescence that cancels out the J color completely in the sunlight and of all places, stadium lighting. In other lighting I see the slight tint but most wouldn’t.

It was originally set in a D,E,F color diamond and high polish platinum micropave’ halo that concentrated the slight tint in some lighting. It is now reset in a platinum metal bezel with milgraining. This is a much better choice with an all metal bezel next to the J color stone. I was very close to resetting it in rose gold to camouflage the J color. The stone may reflect some of the color of metal it is set in, especially in a bezel. That is why I went with platinum bezel. There are SO many more metal shades and options when you can go the custom route, just a thought. Then there is brushed versus high polish finish. I found a brushed finish enhanced the richness of the metal and let the diamond have the sparkle. Many of us on here would recommend David Klass.

IMG_3962.jpeg

I shared a lot of information to say (long story short) it’s really up to your personal taste. I have grown to really love and now prefer J,K,L,M,N color diamonds. Maybe embracing and enhancing the shade is something to consider. With all the colorless lab diamonds out there now, it makes tinted natural stones stand out in a good way.

Here is my J color in lighting that pulls the tint.

IMG_3963.jpeg

Last edited:

90marv90

Rough_Rock
That particular stone doesn't have any fluorescence to hide the tint I haven't really paid too much attention to j colors when I was going into the stores just to get an idea of what was what atleast not knowingly so I'm not sure how much of a tint it will have but then also it would be depending on each stone and like you said my personal preference if it's something I like or dislike and thanks for your input your diamond doesn't look yellow

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one pic on the blanket does look pretty yellow could that be because of it being an emerald cut ? But the one on your finger looks pretty white

An emerald cut will generally show more tint than an MRB. Do you have a setting picked out? Will it be a stock setting or are you considering custom? If you have someone like DK make it, you can ask for the side stones to be J/K color. In a stock setting, if the side stones are very small, they tend to look whiter than their true color just because of the size. So you may see a bit of difference. It really depends on the color sensitivity.

The round stone in this ring is a GIA L (with a brown tint) set in white. It's not a super ideal stone, but within PS parameters. Granted, no side stones but it looks white to me in white metal, but caveat is that I'm not color sensitive.

Screenshot 2021-04-19 150232.jpg

This is a GIA K. Again no side stones, and an older cut. But again, in white metal. Do I ever see a slight tint? Yes, in some situations, but not much, and nothing that bothers me. I think you really need to know the color sensitivity of the wearer. That will be important.

IMG_5796 (1).JPG

90marv90

Rough_Rock
It looks white yo me too

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks white yo me too

Have you seen this thread? Maybe check it out and see K's in white metal in different settings. I think it would help you decide.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamond reflect colors around them too. K color stones tend to look most tinted in rooms with yellow or taupe or brown paint I find.

I would not be concerned about AGS0 cut grade. Unless you are a cut nut I suspect you would be perfectly ok with a diamond with that grade.

90marv90

Rough_Rock
Have you seen this thread? Maybe check it out and see K's in white metal in different settings. I think it would help you decide.

Ok I will check them out

90marv90

Rough_Rock
Diamond reflect colors around them too. K color stones tend to look most tinted in rooms with yellow or taupe or brown paint I find.

I would not be concerned about AGS0 cut grade. Unless you are a cut nut I suspect you would be perfectly ok with a diamond with that grade.

Oh ok thanks

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
The cut has a big impact. My OEC K faces up very white. My radiant not so much (but I cheated and set it in a white gold cup). Cut is, to me, the biggest differentiation. The larger and chunkier the facets the less it shows the colour (just pastel flashes). With a round brilliant, an ideal cut just outdoes the colour with fire and brilliance.

90marv90

Rough_Rock
No sure if anyone really that that diamond has no fluorescence so would that cause it to be really be yellow/warm looking

90marv90

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone responding back with the helpful info I was worried about it being yellow due to it having no fluorescence which from my understanding some fluorescence could possibly help whiten it but without I'm not sure what I would get

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you thought about ordering the diamond loose to see what you think? James Allen has a good return policy. If you are doing a stock setting, you can probably find that locally. If you're going custom, you'd probably have to send it to the jeweler you choose anyway. You seem to be struggling, so perhaps seeing the stone in person will give you the answer that you need.

90marv90

Rough_Rock
I found this comparison from an older thread that might be helpful.

diamond-color-d-h-k.jpg

Really can't tell that much difference face up just don't know if that has fluorescence because the one I was looking at doesn't

90marv90

Rough_Rock
Have you thought about ordering the diamond loose to see what you think? James Allen has a good return policy. If you are doing a stock setting, you can probably find that locally. If you're going custom, you'd probably have to send it to the jeweler you choose anyway. You seem to be struggling, so perhaps seeing the stone in person will give you the answer that you need.

Yeah I thought about ordering it just been hesitated since the one diamond I ordered was not good

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I thought about ordering it just been hesitated since the one diamond I ordered was not good

Was that based on cut and not color? I think there is a general consensus here (but for a few) that this diamond looks good as far as cut. So what you need to decide if the color is okay for you (or the wearer). That's hard for anyone here to know. However, I don't think going up to J color will be significantly different than K. I think you'd probably need to go to an H for there to be a noticeable difference to most unless they are color sensitive. And of course, going to H will change size/clarity specs and probably still have a budget issue. I think you just have to pull the trigger or not. Or change your priorities as to size.

90marv90

Rough_Rock
Your thoughts on this one Screenshot_20240707_210438_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240707_210303_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240707_210303_Chrome.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20240707_210247_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240707_210247_Chrome.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 14

90marv90

Rough_Rock
Yeah the 1st one was a bad cut and I vs2 with medium fluorescence which the slight yellow I only noticed under certain lighting

freddyboston

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for everyone responding back with the helpful info I was worried about it being yellow due to it having no fluorescence which from my understanding some fluorescence could possibly help whiten it but without I'm not sure what I would get
with all the inexpensive non fluor colorless synthetics flooding the world these days maybe a warm natural with strong blue is a good thing... could be better cut but what a price... 1720403049763.png

90marv90

Rough_Rock
Whew that is a nice price for that size stone but man it is warm lol

90marv90

Rough_Rock
Anyone thoughts on the 1.53 Kvvs2 I just posted

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results