shape
carat
color
clarity

Laptop recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 7:32:01 PM
Author: CDNinNYC
I know you said no to the Macbook, but the white 13-inch MacBook is $999. Microsoft office for the Mac is $149.

We just got the new macbook two weeks ago and love it!!!

Ditto this recommendation! A Mac will last so much longer than a PC so even thought it''s pricier up front it''s well worth it. I bought the PowerBook I''m typing on refurbished from the Apple store 4 years ago and it''s still going strong. Sometimes I almost wish it would die so I can get the MacBook Air or the new MacBook Pro!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have always used macs (like since second grade) and have a 7 year old imac, a 5+ year ibook (both still work) and a new macbook. Whatever you decide do NOT get third party RAM! I learned the hard way and went through 3 laptops. It was a PITA but apple''s customer service is the best.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Are you heading any particular direction at the moment, Zoe? It`s great reading everyone''s experiences. My dad has Sony Vaio and is very happy with it. He had it for few years and it runs better than his desktop. I must admit though when I asked at work about laptop recommendations, everyone is totally into the Macbook. To tell you the truth, I would like to get the macbook, but my hubby is so stubborn and takes him years to warm up to something different.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 8:04:36 AM
Author: neatfreak
Zoe- What exactly do you mean by compatibility? What do you want to be compatible? I have a mac for my personal computer and a PC at work and I switch files, etc. between them all the time without problems.

But if you tell me what you are wondering about compatibility wise I can ask my DH-he''s knows a lot about computer compatibility.
Thanks so much for offering your husband''s advice!

I think I mean being able to switch files, etc., just as you do. We only have PCs at work, and my husband is definitely going to get a PC. I want to make sure that if I use his computer for something (or my PC at work), I can switch a file to my Macbook successfully. I have recently learned that you can get certain software to have your Macbook think like a PC, which I think is what I''m looking for.

We did go to a Sony Style store and an Apple store last night. One thing I learned is that although you can get Microsoft Office for Macs, you can''t get Microsoft Access for Macs. This is something I really want to have on my computer because there''s a certain database that my husband created that I''d like to have (a nutrition DB). I was pretty disappointed to learn that.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 8:39:58 AM
Author: Inanna
I''m a Mac girl, so I wouldn''t have anything else. I''ve never had any trouble switching files with PC users. Also, there are programs you can buy (for around $80) which will allow you to run both MS Windows and the Mac OS on your computer - VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop are two of them.

FI has a Lenovo, and I have to say I''m very impressed with it. If I were to buy a PC laptop, it would be Lenovo. One thing I have noticed is that while my Macbook''s battery easily lasts for 4-5 hours, FI''s Lenovo battery lasts for 2 hours maximum.
We just learned about VMFusion and Parallels last night. They seem really good.

Lenovo is one we had been looking into a bit. Thanks for the recommendation, Inanna.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Zoe

I have a Mac and use the Parallels software to run Windows, and my husband has a Mac and uses VMFusionware to run Windows. Based on our experiences, the VMFusionware is a little better. For budgeting purposes though, keep in mind that you would have to buy not only the Parallels or VMFusion software, but also the Microsoft OS software itself (either Vista or XP if you can find it), and maybe Microsoft Office depending on what you want to use the Windows side for. So that''s at least two additional pieces of software any maybe three which adds quite a bit to the overall price tag.

And having a virtual machine inside your Mac that runs Windows (which is what the Parallels and VMFusion do) can add some complications for peripheral devices such as printers and backup devices. It''s nice to have that ability on my Mac but it did increase the complexity. I have Windows so I can connect directly to my office e-mail and document servers from home and use them in their native applications. If I didn''t need that capability, I wouldn''t have gone the Parallels route at all, and just stuck with the Mac. It would have been a lot simpler.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

CrookedRock -- I''m sorry that you don''t like the Lenovo. THe only negative thing I''ve read about the Vaio is that it can be pretty noisy (the fan, I think). You can''t really tell in the stores because they''re so big and you can''t hear the computer''s running. Other than that (and a few of the reviews here), I''ve only heard positives.

Pocahontas -- thanks so much for explaining OpenOffice. Getting something for free is always good, and I''ll look into it.

MissPrudential -- thanks for your insight. It is hard to lump computers together because you''re right, it can be a simplistic view. I get what you''re saying. Thanks for recommending cnet. I''ll browse through it later today.

Omie -- thanks for recommending an external drive. We actually just got one not too long ago, and I''m glad we did. My computer died soon after we put files onto it. I''m glad we have most things saved.

Thing2 -- we looked at the Macbook Pro last night but it''s just too expensive for us right now. It looks like a great computer.

Tacori -- Okay, we''ll stay away from 3rd party RAM. Good to know. I used to have an iMac and I liked it but man, was it heavy. The new ones are gorgeous and so light. Granted, I got my iMac in ''00, and of course things have changed so much since then.

Chiquitapet -- It''s so easy to get overwhelmed because there are so many laptops out there, and since I need just a basic computer, there''s more to choose from. My husband''s the one who has more specific requirements, and I think he has an easier time deciding.

I *think* I''m either leaning towards to Sony Vaio, the Lenovo, or the Macbook. My research has to end at some point.
9.gif
I know I can get an educator discount on the Macbook, and I learned last night that I can get 5% off the Vaio as an educator. I''m not sure about getting one for the Lenovo. Not being to get MS Access on the Macbook might be the deciding factor for getting a PC. I know I could use my husband''s computer for using his nutrition database but I wanted it on my computer as well.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 6:04:12 AM
Author: ZoeBartlett
Date: 3/6/2009 8:04:36 AM

Author: neatfreak

Zoe- What exactly do you mean by compatibility? What do you want to be compatible? I have a mac for my personal computer and a PC at work and I switch files, etc. between them all the time without problems.

But if you tell me what you are wondering about compatibility wise I can ask my DH-he's knows a lot about computer compatibility.

Thanks so much for offering your husband's advice!

I think I mean being able to switch files, etc., just as you do. We only have PCs at work, and my husband is definitely going to get a PC. I want to make sure that if I use his computer for something (or my PC at work), I can switch a file to my Macbook successfully. I have recently learned that you can get certain software to have your Macbook think like a PC, which I think is what I'm looking for.

We did go to a Sony Style store and an Apple store last night. One thing I learned is that although you can get Microsoft Office for Macs, you can't get Microsoft Access for Macs. This is something I really want to have on my computer because there's a certain database that my husband created that I'd like to have (a nutrition DB). I was pretty disappointed to learn that.

You can import the information in the DB to whatever you want. I don't know what you do with it, but most people use MySQL.

Does that make sense?

It's just like you don't need Microsoft Word to write a paper, or even make a .doc!!!

You can't get a Mac to "think" like a PC (why the H would you want that??) but it can look like it uses Windows.

What type of files do you need to transport? I'm guessing they are just documents, which is not a problem.

My VAIO does not have a loud fan... at all. Age is probably the biggest factor in fan noise? My sister has a Lenovo, I think she likes it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Julie -- thanks for explaining. I''m sure my husband would understand more than I do, to be honest. I''m sure he''s familiar with MySQL but I''m not. Basically, the database I''m talking about is a nutrition DB that we use to enter food items into, plan meals, etc. It calculates perentages, calories, etc. It''s similar to Sparkpeople actually but I like his better because we''re the ones entering the data, so I trust it more.

As far as transporting files, yes, it''s pretty much just Word documents that I''d need.

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
Zoe, did you decide which one you''re getting? I''m also planning to buy a new laptop next month. Everyone I''ve spoken to recommend the Macbook (and yes, educator''s discount is awesome!) but I''ve always been a PC person so I''m really nervous about converting
32.gif
I love the VAIO but have read bad reviews.
Will you let me know which one you decide to get? Thanks!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Zoe,, we''ve always been a PC family,, well my hubby branched out and bought the MACbook Pro but obviously you''re not looking for some of the things that was important to my hubby,,, but he really like how it functions,, so even their $1000 line is recommended,, I''m a deal discount shopper so I will search for days for the best price on vendor.. and the one we used was macconnection.com (we got free shipping, plus, rebates and had the best price around ) not sure of the rebate for the particular Mac if you are interested.. we tried macmall.com but we had nightmares on trying to order from them 3 times... anyhow my hubby sure loves his Mac and he is glad that he switched. we opted not to get the parallel,, due to some of the slowing down of the MAC, hubby can run either windows or Mac on his laptop, however, when he runs windows it eats up more batterylife. He only ran Windows when he wanted to use Excel or Word... but then we later talked with our IT person, and just did away with Windows part and just bought the Windows software for Mac (home, student edition.. which was only like $95)... hope this helps you..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results