Votes: 5 4.6%
  • 3) Good on other people, just not for me

Votes: 18 16.7%
  • 4) Not to be borne on ANYONE under ANY circumstances, ew, blech, icky, yuck

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Just thinking a little about long hair and how people perceive it ...

I work in a very male dominated environment with a very casual dress code. The fact that I wear any makeup (most women here don't and in some areas of the building it isn't allowed) am under 30, and a female already makes me stand out, so I figure the long hair isn't going to make someone think any different. I don't think I'd appear any older or more mature with shorter hair, at least compared to the people around me.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1305333843|2921303 said:
Thank you for the kind compliments, ladies!

Jaysonsmom...love your hair. :love:

I usually don't wear the curls...typically leave it straight so its a bit longer than it is in that photo. It's in a bun right now :sick:

Manderz...I'm 4'11, you were correct!

Thank you, I love yours, especially the picture of your hair straight. when I was younger, my hair was thicker like yours, and I'd have it layered to a V just like yours, but now, even thought it's still fairly thick, I don't have to have it as layered.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
lbbaber|1305334016|2921307 said:
Jaysonsmom, you have naturally what I spend hours in the salon trying to acheive...I am ENVIOUS :mrgreen: I love your hair!

Thanks. If my hair required "work" I'd probably be a big mess every day since I'm too busy to do anything with it. So I lucked out. The color is natural, the straightness is natural, I don't even blow dry....just air dry all the way from my house to work.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Circe, you have the most gorgeous hair I've ever seen! It looks so thick and lush! I always thought blond hair was finer. :love:

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1305507300|2922682 said:
My hair is about as long as Autumn's, and I LOVE my long hair! (Autumn--you have GORGEOUS locks, my dear!)

I think hair at any length can send any number of messages, and the message it sends has much more to do with how it is kept and styled than how long it is.

I'm lucky that my hair has a nice big, full wave to it when it air dries, so I can get away with leaving for work with wet hair and I show up with some nice looking locks. I usually pull it back in a low bun, though.

I wore my hair in the Vidal Sassoon graduated bob for YEARS and that remains my favorite hairstyle to this day, but it just doesn't look great on me. I found this out when I let my hair grow out after college and person after person said "Wow! Your hair looks SO much better long."

As for professionalism and hair length, I consider myself lucky to be in a profession that values its members for their contribution to the college and to their field over anything else. Some of my most recognized colleagues aren't exactly the most put-together, but they are extremely well-respected.

I sort of hate you right now :bigsmile: and yes, you are very very lucky!!!

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
Elrohwen|1305554240|2922968 said:

I work in a very male dominated environment with a very casual dress code. The fact that I wear any makeup (most women here don't and in some areas of the building it isn't allowed) am under 30, and a female already makes me stand out, so I figure the long hair isn't going to make someone think any different. I don't think I'd appear any older or more mature with shorter hair, at least compared to the people around me.

I have never heard of not companies banning makeup! That is crazy. Like any? That is sad, IMO. Some people are self-conscious about acne/complexion and would feel very uncomfortable without at least a little concealer or foundation. May I ask WHY it is banned?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
iugurl|1305575816|2923295 said:

I have never heard of not companies banning makeup! That is crazy. Like any? That is sad, IMO. Some people are self-conscious about acne/complexion and would feel very uncomfortable without at least a little concealer or foundation. May I ask WHY it is banned?

she might work in a lab where it is not safe to wear cosmetics. I doubt they are banning them without reason to do so.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1305576209|2923304 said:

she might work in a lab where it is not safe to wear cosmetics. I doubt they are banning them without reason to do so.

Yep, correct - it's a clean room. I still wear minimal makeup because I'm a rebel :rodent: and because it's really an unnecessary rule - there is no way for a flake of mascara to end up on our product with all of the other precautions. I can wear it in the office though, and I don't spend more than an hour a week in the clean room on average, which is another reason I break the rule. If I worked in there full time I wouldn't try to get away with it. Still, most women don't bother with makeup here, whether they are allowed to wear it or not.

eta: I don't think anyone would notice if you wore just concealer or foundation - only your eyes are visible in the clean area anyway after putting on the super sexy suit.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
Elrohwen|1305577103|2923319 said:
slg47|1305576209|2923304 said:

Yep, correct - it's a clean room. I still wear minimal makeup because I'm a rebel :rodent: and because it's really an unnecessary rule - there is no way for a flake of mascara to end up on our product with all of the other precautions. I can wear it in the office though, and I don't spend more than an hour a week in the clean room on average, which is another reason I break the rule. If I worked in there full time I wouldn't try to get away with it. Still, most women don't bother with makeup here, whether they are allowed to wear it or not.

I wondered if it was a lab. I guess I watch too much tv, because I figured if it was that kind of lab, all people would be in full lab bodysuits or something lol, so it wouldn't matter if you wore makeup or not.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
iugurl|1305577350|2923329 said:
I wondered if it was a lab. I guess I watch too much tv, because I figured if it was that kind of lab, all people would be in full lab bodysuits or something lol, so it wouldn't matter if you wore makeup or not.

It's more manufacturing facility than lab, so every precaution is already taken at the equipment level. Wearing the suits is fine (though the veils over the lower face are annoying and only became mandatory lately) but there really isn't a chance of the makeup being an issue - it's not like it's an open lab environment. Oh well! I stick to mascara, blush, and concealer and I'm sure the men around me don't even know I'm wearing it.

And I can tell you my long hair is super annoying when trying to fit it into a hairnet and under the suit. Haha. I like it anyway!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love properly maintained hair of any length. What looks great on one person doesn't always look great on the next.

My hair is currently waist length. Just touches the top of my pants. I'm still learning the fun things you can do with long hair and I get lots of compliments sometimes. (dried to add some volume with just the sides pulled back works great)

Short hair did not do well on me. (shorter than shoulder length)
Really short hair (shorter than chin) looked awful...... I was with my mom at work one day and one of the old ladies asked what her son's name was :nono:

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
sparklypoodle|1305338616|2921376 said:
I also have hair that is longer than my shoulders. I loooooove it that way! I tried short hair briefly when I was in college, and couldn't wait to grow it back.

On the subject of hair, maybe someone can offer me some advice. I have been strongly considering getting a 'Brazilian blowout'. It seems like a popular thing to do around where I live. I have some frizzies, and was told this would help a lot, and greatly improve the quality of my hair. My hair is healthy, just on the thin side. What do you guys think? Anyone get it? Many salons offer it, but the prices vary widely from $150 to $350 plus after care product... Not sure what is best. I also heard that the kind with formaldehyde works better...

Sorry if this is considered thread jacking... Not my intention, just looking for advice from people with gorgeous hair!

I have been a hairstylist for 21 years, I left a few years ago to go back to school and I'm now a nurse but I still work as a colorist at my former salon for two days a week (seems my regulars won't let me leave!) and as far as hair length goes, I think as long as it's well groomed, regardless of length (ruling out hair-to-your-butt lengths, no one suits that) I think any length can look great on any age.

I just want to make a comment about the Brazilian Blowout though, in all seriousness; don't do it. It's not that the product actually contains formaldehyde, it offgasses it during the process, at levels WAY above health safety guidelines. It's been pulled from salons up here. Formaldehyde is highly carcinogenic, not only are you breathing it in, it is also transdermal.
I mentioned I am now a nurse... well I work in hospice, all my patients are dying and the majority are dying of cancer. Not all my patients have hereditary cancers, some can be attributed to environmental exposure to carcinogenic compounds.
Brazilian Blowouts do coat the hair and temporarily make it feel better, but it's not worth your health IMO.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love long, well-maintained hair. LOVE. That said, I do agree that short hair is more professional than long hair, although that mentality seems to be slowly changing.

My hair is mid-back level and the longest I've ever had it. I tend to grow hair out, then chop it all off and then re-grow it out. But I haven't chopped it off in the past 2 years. Long hair is much easier to maintain for me. I just do a quick blow-dry (no style, just drying - I get sick if I step out with wet hair). Short hair, on the other hand, needs to be straight to look good on me. So I have to blow dry and style or even quickly straighten.

Tried to take a picture of it, but it's incredibly difficult! sorry for the weird facial expressions!

Also, LOVE everyone's hair on this thread. So pretty!

kamahair.jpg

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Kama, your hair is so thick and pretty!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elrohwen|1305647753|2923943 said:

Thanks, Elro 8) My hair is actually super thin, but I just have a LOT of it. I get it thinned out, or else it looks flat and lifeless.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
kama_s|1305656468|2924084 said:

Thanks, Elro 8) My hair is actually super thin, but I just have a LOT of it. I get it thinned out, or else it looks flat and lifeless.

I have fine hair too, but enough of it that it looks decently thick (though not as much as yours!). I also have the flat hair problem ;( With it long though, I feel like it's ok to not have as much volume on top. When it's short, I think it looks worse when it's flat, so I spend more time trying to give it volume (which is not too hard when it's pretty short, but hard during the intermediate stage which is why I don't like it). I wish I had naturally wavy hair.

I'll share my red color with someone if you share your wavy hair with me

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elrohwen|1305657961|2924106 said:
kama_s|1305656468|2924084 said:

I have fine hair too, but enough of it that it looks decently thick (though not as much as yours!). I also have the flat hair problem ;( With it long though, I feel like it's ok to not have as much volume on top. When it's short, I think it looks worse when it's flat, so I spend more time trying to give it volume (which is not too hard when it's pretty short, but hard during the intermediate stage which is why I don't like it). I wish I had naturally wavy hair.

I'll share my red color with someone if you share your wavy hair with me

Have you tried using a volumizing mousse before you dry your hair? I can't do without it. I never used any product in my hair until a year ago. My hair is incredibly limp without adding in texture, so the volumizing mousse works wonders. I can't remember which brand I use (I think it's probably 'Matrix'), will check and let you know.

I actually have the opposite issue. My hair is less wavy when it's long. When my hair is short, I find I have to constantly straighten/blow-dry. *sigh* No winning anywhere.

Also, thanks for your offer, but I'm a-okay on the redness factor :cheeky: . I actually have an absurd amount of red/copper in my hair. You can't see it in the picture and I also actually colour my hair darker than my original colour, but I have had TONS of hair colour issues before I realized that anything with even a small amount of red/brown will end up making me look like a carrot top - the red/copper in my hair picks it up like nobody's business.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I like the look of longer hair, but it is too hard for me to maintain it with 2 small children. I have fine hair, but TONS of it. I have to get it thinned out when I get it cut. So the air dry thing doesn't work for me. I've tried to just put it up in a ponytail after I shower, but it literally would stay wet all day long so I have to blow dry. It is a few inches below my shoulders and with 15-20 mins of blow drying plus a few minutes to curl the ends under, that is all I have time for. Love the look on other people though if it's well maintained and has some sort of style.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well everyone posting their long hair looks gorgeous and healthy! Doesn't matter if it's short or long, as long it is well-groomed.

I'm going through a hair dilemma don't know what to do with my hair.
When I was young, after growing out of the little girl bob I had relatively long hair (think Marcia and Jan Brady with barretes in their hair).
Then for a long time (jr high-college) I went into a long phase again of a modified bob, first with bangs and then not.
In grad school I guess I let it grow out. I didn't realize until I looked at pictures how long it was (not super long like bra strap to mid back length).

Last few years I had a great stylist who styled it by having it above the shoulders with razored layers to give it more body. My hair is medium-fine but I have ALOT of it, and it's straight so it can be heavy (and boring).

My stylist moved, and the next 2 different stylist gave me the same hairdo I used to have, basically a bob, but no layering, and I don't care for it. I'm really bored of that look. So I'm inadvertantly growing it out because I don't know which stylist to go to. I don't want to pay $50 for a hairdo I'm so so about. My hair's about shoulder length at this point.

My husband thinks I should get my haircut really short, like Michelle Williams. I don't know.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
kama_s|1305658850|2924119 said:
Have you tried using a volumizing mousse before you dry your hair? I can't do without it. I never used any product in my hair until a year ago. My hair is incredibly limp without adding in texture, so the volumizing mousse works wonders. I can't remember which brand I use (I think it's probably 'Matrix'), will check and let you know.
s.

Definitely check out the name of it! I've tried a ton of products - something will work for a while, then be completely ineffective, so I end up rotating through a couple different things and it seems to help. I'm always looking for new ones with personal recommendations.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
I have had long hair since I was 11 and at its longest I had hair to my hips. This was about 14 years ago when I was 38. As I approached my 30th birthday I kept hearing remarks that long hair should only be worn by women under 30. I truly feel that it is a personal thing. I am lazy and long hair is much easier to deal with, busy days you can just pull it up into a bun or pony tail. Three years ago I quit colouring my hair and had thought I'd have to cut it short if I went really gray, I didn't want to look all scraggly. Well I didn't cut it really short but it is now about at my bra strap in back and to the shoulders in front (I have curly hair and that makes it shorter). Now that I have quit colouring it and I look like I have had my hair frosted with a cool silver streak in front (I am about 45% gray according to my stylist) I get complimnets on my hair. Most of the compliments go like this "If I knew my ahir would look like yours I go gray too". So the long and short of this is you can be gray and have long curly hair at over 50 and it can look fabulous!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elrohwen|1305670888|2924268 said:
s.

Definitely check out the name of it! I've tried a ton of products - something will work for a while, then be completely ineffective, so I end up rotating through a couple different things and it seems to help. I'm always looking for new ones with personal recommendations.

Here's the one I use:

http://www.matrix.com/products/matrix_essentials/amplify/foam_volumizer.aspx

I've been using it for a few years now and love it. It's also very reasonably priced. Let me know if it works for you if you do decide to invest in it.

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
I am trying really hard to grow mine. I've never had very long hair..it's only been as long as maybe 2 inches below my shoulders. I've never grown it where i trimmed it frequently. I always let it grow and then say it looks crappy and stringy when really i should have been trimming it the entire time. Right now it's just barely at my shoulders. I think long hair looks good on some people, not all. I can't stand the long, down to your butt look. And when you always just put it up in a bun or a ponytail, that seems pointless to me, that's not really a style IMO.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
kama_s|1305677143|2924378 said:
Elrohwen|1305670888|2924268 said:
s.

Here's the one I use:

http://www.matrix.com/products/matrix_essentials/amplify/foam_volumizer.aspx

I've been using it for a few years now and love it. It's also very reasonably priced. Let me know if it works for you if you do decide to invest in it.

I'll definitely look for it. Can you find it in your regular drug store? Or is it more of a specialty thing that you would get at a salon or beauty supply store?

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elrohwen|1305724560|2924727 said:
I'll definitely look for it. Can you find it in your regular drug store? Or is it more of a specialty thing that you would get at a salon or beauty supply store?

Hmm, I'm not sure how different US drug stores are from Canadian drug stores (I think they stock more products than Canadian stores do), but I don't think it would be available in drug stores. I get mine from a beauty supply outlet kinda store for around 20$.

I also use the volumizing shampoo and conditioner from the same line. The three together = va va voom hair for me.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
kama_s|1305725364|2924735 said:
Elrohwen|1305724560|2924727 said:

Hmm, I'm not sure how different US drug stores are from Canadian drug stores (I think they stock more products than Canadian stores do), but I don't think it would be available in drug stores. I get mine from a beauty supply outlet kinda store for around 20$.

I also use the volumizing shampoo and conditioner from the same line. The three together = va va voom hair for me.

We have a beauty supply store in the mall so I'll have to take a trip over there. I love trying new products!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone has the most beautiful hair! Love it! :appl:

Here's my mop, don't mind the classless, messy venue in the background (our ensuite :bigsmile:) This reminds me, I need a haircut! :loopy:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Elrohwen|1305577765|2923338 said:
And I can tell you my long hair is super annoying when trying to fit it into a hairnet and under the suit. Haha. I like it anyway!

I have the same problem! I work in the OR, so we have to wear hats, and the regular scrub hats just don't cut it for long hair. I bought special ponytail hats here:
http://lindaslids.net/category.sc;j...DEEDC9F1858CE81C59B.qscstrfrnt03?categoryId=2

And these also look nice (don't have any though):
http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/categories/Scrub-Hats/Scrub-Hats-for-Women/Pony-Collection/

So if any of you long-haired girls work in a hospital and need a way to tame your locks, I hope this helps!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BLEH, forgot the pic!

jstar, they are so cute! At work I roll my hair into a fat bun on the crown of my head and wear a big bandanna, just a large triange shaped pice of fabric that goes long side over my foreheard, down to the nape of my neck, and around the top of the bun, tied in a knot, and tuck the tails in. Lots of the girls at work try to copy but so many of them have short hair, unless you have a mane of hair it just doesn't work! :bigsmile:

I do love the ones you posted!

HairPics 006.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The scientists (as I call them, although they should be referred to as doctors!) I've known have been absolutely beautiful, made-up or not. I have a fashion degree (BS), and almost all of my friends from high school attended Ivy League schools for their undergrads or went overseas and obtained their undergrads and came back to the U.S. to achieve their Masters' and doctorate's. I hang out with some pretty savvy females who couldn't care less about their appearances, but do the basics to maintain now that we all are in our early thirties. They work on curing cancer...I work on making them look awesome while they're doing it. :saint: :bigsmile: :wavey: My point is: you can still look hot while wearing a lab coat. :bigsmile: ;))

Edited to add that I may be mis-uing "Doctorate's" or Masters'." I'm pretty sure I'm doin' it rong. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results