shape
carat
color
clarity

Making a choice...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tertius

Rough_Rock
I''m looking for a diamond just under 0.75ct. Here are some options so far. Let me know what you guys think.

diamonds.png

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What shape are these stones?

If round cut, we will need crown and pavilion angles to give an opinion. If other shapes, at least an IS if not ASET.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome teritus,

We need the crown and pavilion angles please for each diamond if you can post them.

tertius

Rough_Rock
More details, diamonds listed by ct size.

All diamonds are round.

cloud, feather
crown 36
pavilion 40.6

crystal, cloud
crown 35
pavilion 40.8

feather
crown 35
pavilion 40.2

cloud
crown 35
pavilion 40.8

crystal
crown 35.5
pavilion 41.6

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2008 11:15:56 AM
Author: tertius
More details, diamonds listed by ct size.

All diamonds are round.

cloud, feather
crown 36
pavilion 40.6

feather
crown 35
pavilion 40.2

cloud
crown 35
pavilion 40.8

crystal
crown 35.5
pavilion 41.6
The ones marked above look promising, can the vendor supply Idealscope images? That would be useful also can you find out if the cloud inclusions are grade setters - the reason that the diamonds were given SI1 clarity?

tertius

Rough_Rock
"No, we can't do idealscope images. All inclusions are taken into account when grading a diamond for clarity."

"48 hours" (For eyecleanness check).

How do I request one? I.e. what I'm comfortable with... I don't know what I'm comfortable with, this is my first diamond! (Engagement)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Avoid 2, 3 and 5.

Personal preference, I would go for 4 as long as the stone is eye-clean.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Something like is the inclusion visible by a person with perfect eye-sight viewing from 1 foot away from all angles and lighting?

This example is quite difficult to fulfill for SI1, just giving you a rough idea.

tertius

Rough_Rock
Can you give me reasons for your preferences? (And why you would choose a SI2 stone over a VS2)

From the list the ones that look the best for me would be 0.68 (because of VS2) and the 0.72 because of being a bit bigger. But I''m guessing these are so close to each other that the diameter wont make a big difference.

Help!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 11:28:30 AM
'No, we can't do idealscope images. All inclusions are taken into account when grading a diamond for clarity.'

'48 hours' (For eyecleanness check).

How do I request one? I.e. what I'm comfortable with... I don't know what I'm comfortable with, this is my first diamond! (Engagement)
Hi tertius, have you looked all around, and maybe considered a vendor who could give you more info? In the size and stats you seem to be looking at, I would think you could find something! I only mention this as you say it's your first diamond, so I wasn't sure if you were aware of all your options. (vendors) Just a thought.
1.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, the 0.71, SI1 stone. You forgot to list the 0.66c stone.

The good candidates to me, using the HCA, are this and the 0.65, both SI1 stone. 0.65 is a FIC cut, which will show slightly more fire but also slightly less brilliance, also it will usually result in a slightly smaller face up size. The 0.71 is a normal ideal cut which will be safer bet.

I am guessing you are buying from BN? What are you budget, maybe we can find something for you on the pricescope database that is better for your budget?

tertius

Rough_Rock
Nope I''m not aware of my options :)

Should I just use the pricescope search?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, cut quality search are all from trusted vendors here with top quality stones. They also have discount for pricescope members so you could get stone that are cheaper than BlueNile.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2008 12:03:25 PM
Nope I'm not aware of my options :)

You can do, search by cut or read up on the PS vendor websites first to learn a bit about them and their various policies and services. That way you can familiarize yourself with each vendor and see which one appeals to you, also you can search on their individual websites if you prefer.

www.whiteflash.com

www.goodoldgold.com

www.winkjones.com

www.jamesallen.com

www.niceice.com

Also if you are considering SI clarities you need to make your expectations completely clear to the vendor you are working with as to your expectations for an eyeclean diamond. Some vendors use a rule of thumb similar to this - no inclusions visible face up with normal vision in normal light at arms length, or words to that effect. Hence if you don't want to see any inclusions from any angle at close scrutiny in your diamond, then make sure the vendor understands that.

tertius

Rough_Rock
Budget has a roof of about $1750.

tertius

Rough_Rock
One things I''m concerned about is the fluorescence of the 0.71 stone. It says "strong blue".

Is that good or bad? I don''t know what to think about this.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2008 12:19:55 PM
One things I'm concerned about is the fluorescence of the 0.71 stone. It says 'strong blue'.

Is that good or bad? I don't know what to think about this.
Rare that strong blue is an issue, it can occasionally cause a diamond to look cloudy in some lighting but this is rare. It is prudent to always check with a trusted vendor to make sure a diamond with strong blue fluorescence doesn't have a negative effect of course but like I said this is considered unusual.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 12:03:25 PM
Nope I''m not aware of my options :)

You can, though I''ve found that searching the individual site will sometimes have options that don''t come up in the search feature. Have a look around! (Lorelei posted some great vendors)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
By the way, if any of your friends bought from BN before, you can as them to refer you and get a $100 discount for both of you, in case you do not know about that.

tertius

Rough_Rock
I saw that you can get $100 off. But it says not on diamonds. And I''ll only be getting a diamond from them.

How does this one look?

http://www.polygon.net/cgi/en/webwizard.diamondDetail.view/WebWizard.CnSearchParam.ProductOid=1045529/WebWizard.CnSearchParam.SellerInfo=Alias/WebWizard.CnSearchParam.accessCode=/WebWizard.CnSearchParam.currency=US/WebWizard.CnSearchParam.ClientNo=62710/WebWizard.CnSearchParam.WWClientSettingsId=9281811

It''s a little over budget but it looks really good to me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it appears to be a nicely cut stone, however EGL Israel are believed to be softer on grading in some circumstances by some experts. If you are interested in this diamond it would be best to make any sale final on it checking out to your satisfaction in all aspects by an independant appraiser.

tertius

Rough_Rock
Just as a side issue. How do I deal with insurance? I''m clueless! I''m not a U.S. citizen so I''m not very clued up about things around here.

tertius

Rough_Rock
To be honest this whole process is pretty scary. I don''t want to accidentally get the wrong diamond or get one that''s not rated like it says it is or get a blue fluorescent diamond that''d make the diamond cloudy!!!

So many things to be scared about.

Though I got a good deal on setting the stone, $50 and not $150 like robbins brothers.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2008 2:18:28 PM
To be honest this whole process is pretty scary. I don't want to accidentally get the wrong diamond or get one that's not rated like it says it is or get a blue fluorescent diamond that'd make the diamond cloudy!!!

So many things to be scared about.

Though I got a good deal on setting the stone, $50 and not $150 like robbins brothers.
Tertius there is no need to be scared! Some of us have been doing this a long time and we will help you through this. You could still consider some of your original choices or look through the vendor listings I gave you, any one of those vendors will take excellent care of you. If you work with a trusted vendor this will take a lot of the stress out of it. I would suggest concentrating on GIA or AGS graded diamonds to begin with and as for fluorescence, like I said adverse effects are rare and again a trusted vendor will be able to evaluate any diamond which has strong fluorescence for you.

As to insurance you could get a separate rider if you are a homeowner or there are companies out there which might be able to help you.

Here is a lovely stone, it is an I colour which would still look white, you would need to check it is eyeclean to your standards but it gives you an example of what you could get - and a couple of others.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5129/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4681/

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-signature-ideal-cut-h-color-si1-clarity_LD01418525

tertius

Rough_Rock
The center stone will be next to some small G stones, so I want to either be G or H.

I just want to get the best diamond. Not too small, not too cloudy, pretty. Just the best for her.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2008 2:53:31 PM
The center stone will be next to some small G stones, so I want to either be G or H.

I just want to get the best diamond. Not too small, not too cloudy, pretty. Just the best for her.
Then take a look at this one. You would need to check it is eyeclean as with any SI clarity. Also you could consider I colour as the experts say to generally keep the centre and side stones within 2 similar lab grade colour grades if you are open to the idea, so a GIA/ AGS I colour might be an option if needed.

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-signature-ideal-cut-h-color-si1-clarity_LD01418525

tertius

Rough_Rock
That looks like a really great diamond. I''ll see if I can find it. I''d like a stone that''s a bit bigger. Maybe 0.68+. I don''t know enough to know how much of a difference there''ll be between a .63 and a .70.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 3:25:28 PM
That looks like a really great diamond. I''ll see if I can find it. I''d like a stone that''s a bit bigger. Maybe 0.68+. I don''t know enough to know how much of a difference there''ll be between a .63 and a .70.
Not all that much. And with your budget and color restrictions, it''s going to be slim pickings.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2008 3:39:00 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 11/19/2008 3:25:28 PM
Not all that much. And with your budget and color restrictions, it''s going to be slim pickings.
2.gif
Ditto.

tertius

Rough_Rock
Ok thanks for the help.

Here''s another one that I''ve found.

What do you guys think about this?

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-ideal-cut-h-color-vs2-clarity_LD01448538?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results