missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BA9293A8-2D84-41EB-B4EA-2F891EF3A66D.jpeg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So then where is it “safe”?
Statistics don’t tell the story. We agree on that but from opposite sides.
If we watched and lived by statistics who would ever get in a car?
It seems to me like there’s a lot of fear mongering in the media.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

He’s a nut job …..but looking at how many people are incarcerated in the US….doesn’t seem like putting people in jail (statistically) solves the issue.

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock
He’s a nut job …..but looking at how many people are incarcerated in the US….doesn’t seem like putting people in jail (statistically) solves the issue.

It appears you are living in right city then. Maybe the police department there could be disbanded completely if jailing criminals doesn't help. :roll:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

David this statement right here. You’re part of the problem. Yes, let’s let all the criminals be free to commit crimes. Oh wait, that’s exactly what’s happening and why we’re in this situation.

It appears you are living in right city then. Maybe the police department there could be disbanded completely if jailing criminals doesn't help. :roll:

100% agree with you Sunrise Sunsets. Just when you don’t think it could get any more outrageous. We are living in an upside down world. SMH

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@missy ..I think we agree on the basics- get the bad guys off the street. And we're both not happy with the justice system/police. "Defund the police" is the dumbest concept ever.
I want effective policing.
Put the right people away. And keep them the hell off the streets. Who could argue against that?

Not that I have any control but I remember when police actually policed.
I have a lot of friends that are retired NYPD
NYPD is nothing like it used to be. All the seasoned veterans retired. They had policies that encouraged it.
It's just different in the way of human interactions- everyone- including NYPD officers, on their phones.
When people point to statistics, it just shows me the problem isn't locking people up - it's locking the right people up. And keeping them behind bars.

I just know that, for example- my car was broken into on many occasions in NYC, in the '70's-90's That's really not happening now.
@seaurchin really made great points about why we're at where we are.
I agree, looking at the "big picture, dark times- because none of us really can affect the events unfolding.
But again, riding through Central Park today.....throngs of folks enjoying the day. People from all over the world. Many different cultures represented. All co-mingling, peaceful as could be....
Right here, Right now...New York City feels quite safe.

Given the times....it seems so smart to enjoy each and every moment.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
@missy ..I think we agree on the basics- get the bad guys off the street. And we're both not happy with the justice system/police. "Defund the police" is the dumbest concept ever.
I want effective policing.
Put the right people away. And keep them the hell off the streets. Who could argue against that?

Not that I have any control but I remember when police actually policed.
I have a lot of friends that are retired NYPD
NYPD is nothing like it used to be. All the seasoned veterans retired. They had policies that encouraged it.
It's just different in the way of human interactions- everyone- including NYPD officers, on their phones.
When people point to statistics, it just shows me the problem isn't locking people up - it's locking the right people up. And keeping them behind bars.

I just know that, for example- my car was broken into on many occasions in NYC, in the '70's-90's That's really not happening now.
@seaurchin really made great points about why we're at where we are.
I agree, looking at the "big picture, dark times- because none of us really can affect the events unfolding.
But again, riding through Central Park today.....throngs of folks enjoying the day. People from all over the world. Many different cultures represented. All co-mingling, peaceful as could be....

Given the times....it seems so smart to enjoy each and every moment.

Sorry. I wouldn't have deleted my post if I knew someone was responding to it. I just decided I'm not in the mood for the discussion tonight, after all.

Last edited:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My intent posting this thread was to bring attention to violence against women, which happens EVERYWHERE, constantly. This goes much, much deeper than policing effectively. It is the result of thousands of years of social conditioning and patriarchal systems globally. Yeah, this guy illustrates a surface problem in NYC, ok. But why aren’t we discussing on a deeper level the acceptance of this violence being perpetrated on unsuspecting women who haven’t done anything to attract these angry, emotional outbursts?

If this is too contentious for PS, I will request the thread be deleted.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
My intent posting this thread was to bring attention to violence against women, which happens EVERYWHERE, constantly. This goes much, much deeper than policing effectively. It is the result of thousands of years of social conditioning and patriarchal systems globally. Yeah, this guy illustrates a surface problem in NYC, ok. But why aren’t we discussing on a deeper level the acceptance of this violence being perpetrated on unsuspecting women who haven’t done anything to attract these angry, emotional outbursts?

We have Forensic Files on right now, one episode after another of this kind of thing (I like seeing all the clever ways they catch criminals). But I don't even know where to start, in trying to make sense out of such senseless cruelty and evil. I mean, even if you knew for sure that you could attack someone you didn't even know and hurt or kill them or whatever and get away with it, who would want to, even then? No idea.

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
But why aren’t we discussing on a deeper level the acceptance of this violence being perpetrated on unsuspecting women who haven’t done anything to attract these angry, emotional outbursts?

My apologies for derailing the thread in defense of NYC
From my perspective I don’t see an acceptance of this sort of violence. It’s shocking, which is actually a good thing. If it was “normal” we wouldn’t hear about it like this.
I see a lot of BS being normalized but thankfully not blindsiding women ( or men) on the street.
YMMV.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
**edited by moderator, no politics or namecalling** The defund the police concept was the stupidest thing ever. First of all it was a terrible slogan (didn't mean what everyone thought it meant) and many misinterpreted the meaning. Second of all shootings spiked. Crime spiked. Yeah great idea. So many people want pithy slogans that fit on a sign. Defunding the police does not work. But neither does throwing tons of money at a problem work either. Look at California and their homeless issue...they spend over a billion dollars and they still have the highest homeless population.

What's happening in the world today @Rockdiamond is because of people who think like you. You don't want to admit it to yourself but that does not change the fact. Wishing things away does not work. I learned that as I got older. We are not living in a fairy tale and if we do nothing we are part of the problem. All of you reading who are ignorant to the facts I implore you to really do your homework and wake up and see the reality. If we continue on this path it will only get worse. Stop believing all you read on social media. People are getting their "facts" from Tik Tok. Learn all you can in a five second bite. Let's keep doing this if we wish to destroy the world...The definition of insanity...doing things the same way over and over and hoping for different results. Does. Not. Work.

**edited by moderator, no politics or religion**

The masses have been brainwashed and I have no clue how to fix this systemic problem. By all means though let's keep taking money from foreign countries who preach death to America. Yeah see how well that's going. Another 9/11 is on the way. I am going to hate very much saying I told you so but nonetheless if we keep on this trajectory just wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a lot of BS being normalized

On that we can agree. Except I will take it one step further. I see insanity and extremism being normalized. Not. OK. Not in the slightest

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

100% agree Monnie. Thank you for starting this thread. And I do not think the divergence into some other topics have threadjacked the principles we are discussing....Violence against women seems to be accepted by too many. And g-d forbid Sharia law comes here and violence against women will be the norm. I truly hope all PSers here learn exactly what Sharia law means because yes that is the intent of those who are in this country right now protesting. They are very clever but they have made their intentions known. Though if feels as if many are not paying attention to the facts and the intent behind all of this.

This is a systemic issue. Period. And it is going to take a lot to deprogram this kind of violence against women because right now it does feel as if it is accepted. Or maybe Israeli women do not count

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Really David?
Any comment on the recent slew of attacks in Central Park?

Police investigate a string of crimes in Central Park​

by: Grace Gomez
Posted: Apr 28, 2024 / 10:04 PM EDT
Updated: Apr 28, 2024 / 10:06 PM EDT

"
Thousands of people headed to Central Park on Sunday, where the police have been investigating four separate incidents, including robberies and sexual assault.

The latest incident happened on Saturday around 1 p.m. a tourist was sitting on a bench with his camera equipment when it was snatched by a suspect who fled eastbound on Fifth Avenue.

On Friday, two incidents took place. The first one happened at six in the morning. That’s when three suspects attacked a 41-year-old man while he was taking pictures in the park. One of the attackers took a gun out and put it on his head. The victim was punched in the face and taken to the hospital. The three suspects fled by moped.

Then, later that evening, at 10 p.m., two people pulled a gun on a 25-year-old male and tried to grab his phone. Certain Parkgoers were extra cautious today.

Mehr Kaur, a long island resident visiting the park said, “Makes me want to grip my phone a little tighter, i don’t know it doesn’t feel very safe all the time.”

On Thursday evening, a woman was attacked and sexually assaulted by a suspect, who also took her phone and wallet.

"

From this past weekend David. Fresh off the presses

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Really David?
Any comment on the recent slew of attacks in Central Park?

First off, given that my thoughts are responsible for what’s happening in the world today…maybe I’d better stop thinking.??

I hadn’t read the story till you posted it. It’s terrible and sad.
My comment is thank god people were still out enjoying the day. What’s your solution?? Hunker down inside and allow the bad people out there to destroy our ability to live??

Seriously- if you’re claiming my thoughts are responsible for the world today, please tell me how changing my mind will cure the world.
I’ve lived my life. But the kids…..what kind of world are we leaving them??
If you think this doesn’t fill me with dread you don’t know me at all. But again…what to do?? Lock them up inside?
Aside from doing all one can personally to make the world a better place for those close to us, what is the solution??.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is a systemic issue. Period. And it is going to take a lot to deprogram this kind of violence against women because right now it does feel as if it is accepted. Or maybe Israeli women do not

Kind of boiling under the collar that you’re somehow thinking my attitudes have anything to do at all with this. You do realize my company is named after my daughter living in Israel.
She lives in constant fear and terror. Yes I do wish she’d come live back here in NYC. No matter how much you think this city is so unsafe, it’s a ton safer than many places in the world today. Think about how all of us are in danger. ALL of us.
And again, what am I and my thinking…..how am I part of the problem and if so, how can I change the situation??

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock
Kind of boiling under the collar that you’re somehow thinking my attitudes have anything to do at all with this. You do realize my company is named after my daughter living in Israel.
She lives in constant fear and terror. Yes I do wish she’d come live back here in NYC. No matter how much you think this city is so unsafe, it’s a ton safer than many places in the world today. Think about how all of us are in danger. ALL of us.
And again, what am I and my thinking…..how am I part of the problem and if so, how can I change the situation??

Perhaps you feel NYC is very safe because, thankfully, you haven't been a victim of crime. It's a slippery slope when any crime committed isn't prosecuted and an appropriate punishment meted out. For instance, if a jewelry business is robbed, inventory is cleaned out but no one is injured, should the crime be prosecuted? Insurance will cover the loss and the business owner can continue as usual. The perp has the financial means now to continue his seamy business so prison isn't necessary... right?

I hope your daughter remains safe but if she did return to NYC and was cruelly attacked as some women have been, it would shed a brighter light so you would advocate for criminal prosecution. Hand in hand with all of this is the need for mental institutions and help for mental illness.

I do wish your family well.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The broad brush -- Violence against women is rooted in social, cultural, and religious ideology. We are vessels made to procreate, not smart enough to vote, not good enough for equal pay for equal work, the weaker sex, untrustworthy to make decisions about our bodies, always associated with the ancient virgin/whore expected to be chaste until marriage. We are granted rights only when the prevailing power (white, powerful men) choose to do so and only until the powerful decide to take them away. We become targets of physical and emotional abuse when men are angry, scared, frustrated about their lives.

Women are shackled by society, by their cultures, and by their religions that seek to control behavior -- how we dress, what we eat, who we love, what we believe.

Perhaps we should start by freeing ourselves from the boundaries set by gods who are the genesis of the problem. When women cover their hair, their bodies, engage in religious rituals to cleanse themselves because they are unclean, eat prescribed foods and wear prescribed clothing, they are still enslaved even if they can vote. Perhaps turning the male gods into females would turn the tide of power and women will stop abdicating their autonomy to the men who resemble their gods.

We need to acknowledge that we are, in part, responsible for the double standards that exist -- boys will be boys right?
Until women achieve political power equal to that enjoyed by men, things will change slowly if it all. Exercise your right to vote out those who perpetuate the social, cultural, and religious beliefs that underpin violence against women.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
The broad brush -- Violence against women is rooted in social, cultural, and religious ideology. We are vessels made to procreate, not smart enough to vote, not good enough for equal pay for equal work, the weaker sex, untrustworthy to make decisions about our bodies, always associated with the ancient virgin/whore expected to be chaste until marriage. We are granted rights only when the prevailing power (white, powerful men) choose to do so and only until the powerful decide to take them away. We become targets of physical and emotional abuse when men are angry, scared, frustrated about their lives.

Women are shackled by society, by their cultures, and by their religions that seek to control behavior -- how we dress, what we eat, who we love, what we believe.

Perhaps we should start by freeing ourselves from the boundaries set by gods who are the genesis of the problem. When women cover their hair, their bodies, engage in religious rituals to cleanse themselves because they are unclean, eat prescribed foods and wear prescribed clothing, they are still enslaved even if they can vote. Perhaps turning the male gods into females would turn the tide of power and women will stop abdicating their autonomy to the men who resemble their gods.

We need to acknowledge that we are, in part, responsible for the double standards that exist -- boys will be boys right?
Until women achieve political power equal to that enjoyed by men, things will change slowly if it all. Exercise your right to vote out those who perpetuate the social, cultural, and religious beliefs that underpin violence against women.

Add to this : not voting in (again) those that perpetrate and are found guilty of sexual violence against women.

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock

I couldn't disagree more. This isn't the 1950's and woman, young girls in particular, dress more like harlots than attractive females. I'm seeing some very successful, bright women achieving their goals. Thank you '60's ladies.

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock
Sexual violence... like touching, smelling, etc? Barbara Eden at age 92 disclosed that JFK left his phone number in her pocket.

There are male sexual predators in all levels of society, probably some are your husbands. There are also loads of female predators looking at men who are married, successful and have money or aren't even worth the effort. Where is the line?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't disagree more. This isn't the 1950's and woman, young girls in particular, dress more like harlots than attractive females. I'm seeing some very successful, bright women achieving their goals. Thank you '60's ladies.
The bolded snippet proves my point.

Anecdotes about what you see, while relevant, are not the preponderance of what is happening in the US and around globe. We are fortunate that women here have made strides in business and politics yet we still have a long way to go.

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock
The bolded snippet proves my point.

Anecdotes about what you see, while relevant, are not the preponderance of what is happening in the US and around globe. We are fortunate that women here have made strides in business and politics yet we still have a long way to go.

I agree we have a way to go but it's not that long. What we need now is for the younger generation to step away from social media and build self-awareness and integrity. Raising our daughters to flourish is our job and spending hours at the nail salons, spas, hair studios, shopping and plastic surgeon's office isn't helping.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Perhaps you feel NYC is very safe because, thankfully, you haven't been a victim of crime
First of all , I have.
Secondly, where did I say I don’t think criminals should be locked up????
To repeat- I want the police to enforce the law and jail lawbreakers- especially violent criminals.
Speaking of being victimized… I was subjected to missile attacks last time I was in Israel.
Maybe that’s why I feel safer in NYC.

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock
First of all , I have.
Secondly, where did I say I don’t think criminals should be locked up????
To repeat- I want the police to enforce the law and jail lawbreakers- especially violent criminals.
Speaking of being victimized… I was subjected to missile attacks last time I was in Israel.
Maybe that’s why I feel safer in NYC.

I can appreciate you being frightened by missile attacks but is that the standard we want to use for safety here?

And in your words...".but looking at how many people are incarcerated in the US….doesn’t seem like putting people in jail (statistically) solves the issue".

And why only enforce violent crimes? That's the slippery slope...

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Sexual violence... like touching, smelling, etc? Barbara Eden at age 92 disclosed that JFK left his phone number in her pocket.

There are male sexual predators in all levels of society, probably some are your husbands. There are also loads of female predators looking at men who are married, successful and have money or aren't even worth the effort. Where is the line?

Sexual violence like forcibly putting your finger in a woman's vagina against her will in a department store.

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock
Sexual violence like forcibly putting your finger in a woman's vagina against her will in a department store.

I don't want any unwarranted advances, I consider any sexual violence. Keep your hands and body away from me.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please don’t attribute things I have not said to me.
When did I say only violent crimes should be prosecuted?
In terms of how many people are incarcerated here…. It’s a fact. The crime rate, whatever it is is also a fact.
There are also stories of people being locked up for years for minor crimes- while proclaiming their innocence.
One young man committed suicide after Rikers. He was being held because he was accused of stealing a backpack- he was held for years awaiting trial.
It does make sense to read a wide variety of news to get a full picture.
If it was simple and locking people up solved the issues, I'd be all for it.
It just seems the issues are deeper. We're not locking the right people up......

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results