shape
carat
color
clarity

Milgrain or not on Sleek Line Pave in platinum by White Flash?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
For me it depends on the metal used.Fine milgrain detail wears down over time when high carat gold is used.If 18 karat is used then get the smooth version and if platinum is used then either is nice.I like the the smooth look in this ring because i think it shows off the side diamonds better.

Thanks for the replies, most of you are helping to convince me that I made the right choice
9.gif
!!! This is what caused me to really want the milgraining on this type of setting (saw it in a local B&M):

http://precisionset.com/product.php?pid=87&line_id=1

Good thread!

I''m in the process of a similar decision. I wanted something with hand engraving and milgraining and my WF rep recommended a Sleek Lines customized to suite my needs.

The pics of the milgaining here may have made the decision for me - awesome.
36.gif

Thanks man, I think it looks awesome (obviously, or I wouldn''t have bought it)! Yeah, I''m really glad that KtIceRN was able to post the pics of her friends ring for us. I will post mine as soon as it comes in -- can''t wait!

Good luck on you purchase!

Date: 7/12/2008 3:50:00 PM
Author: rcrosier
Thanks man, I think it looks awesome (obviously, or I wouldn''t have bought it)! Yeah, I''m really glad that KtIceRN was able to post the pics of her friends ring for us. I will post mine as soon as it comes in -- can''t wait!

Good luck on you purchase!
Glad I could help rcosier! I can''t wait to see your pics!!!

Hey guys,

They shipped the ring today, so I should get some more pictures in the next few days, but this will last me until then:

myring1367.JPG

omg what a gorgeous setting! i love the milgrain!

WOW! It looks fantastic!!! I didn''t weigh in ''cause it looked so good in both images but I think it came out beautiful with the milgrain! Congratulations and I can''t wait to see hand shots! KTiceRN, yours looks incredible too!!! Great timing on that one
35.gif

Date: 7/24/2008 8:00:47 PM
Author: pixley
WOW! It looks fantastic!!! I didn''t weigh in ''cause it looked so good in both images but I think it came out beautiful with the milgrain! Congratulations and I can''t wait to see hand shots! KTiceRN, yours looks incredible too!!! Great timing on that one
35.gif
Thanks, I''m glad you all like it. I thought that the milgrain would add a touch of detail to it... I hope to post some more pics tomorrow or over the weekend!

Looks incredible Rob! can''t wait to see "real life" pics.
Forgive me if you''ve already mentioned, but what size is the stone?

I would not do the milgraine. I think the style of the ring is such that the lines should be left alone. But whatever you choose will be beautiful for sure.

Oh jeez! I just saw the rest of the thread including the pictures, and I have to retract my reservations. The ring looks fabulous. Obviously you made the right decision! Congratulations and can''t wait to see more pics.

It looks great! The milgrain is a nice touch. :)

Any updates? How''s the ring coming along?

I am a fan of milgrain, as my rings have it... But I actually think that the plain edge looks really nice on this one. It makes it look clean and crisp. Although, the milgrain looks kind of old fashioned and distinguished. (I guess that''s the word I was looking for
33.gif
) I guess what i''m trying to say is- Both would look lovely! (Sorry i''m not more help
20.gif
)

Ooops... Just saw that you already bought it. Good call on the milgrain- It looks stunning!!
36.gif

Hey all,

I just got back online a bit ago and didn''t realize I had received so many replies. Pictures were taken but came out blurry, so there should be some picture posts tomorrow afternoon using the micro lens. Sorry to diasppoint, but stay tuned and I will get them up ASAP!!!

Thanks for all the interest and help,

Date: 7/26/2008 11:07:07 PM
Author: rcrosier
Hey all,

I just got back online a bit ago and didn't realize I had received so many replies. Pictures were taken but came out blurry, so there should be some picture posts tomorrow afternoon using the micro lens. Sorry to diasppoint, but stay tuned and I will get them up ASAP!!!

Thanks for all the interest and help,
Just as an example, here are the BLURRY pics.
32.gif
(ring on my moms hand) Again, will post better images tomorrow!

DSC01039s.JPG

That looks awesome! I love that PrecisionSet ring that was your inspiration, too!

Got some new pics in, but my mom still doesn't really know how to use her camera up close! BTW, all of these are on my mom's hand. I guess I'll have to wait until I get back home before I can post anymore, and by that time I will be proposing, so then we can get some on my fiance's hand!

Anyways, this is what I have now, but I'll have some more in about 4 weeks! The ones that I take will be much better, I promise...

Thanks,

BLURRY PICTURE!!!

DSC01046s.JPG

This lighting causes the sparkling stone to shine kinda orangeish... Her Sony CyberShot really sucks at taking up-close pictures of the ring!!!

DSC01054s.JPG

Zoomed out....

DSC01054.JPG

Outside...

DSC01040.JPG

From a different angle outside....

DSC01041.JPG

Original WF pictures.... (EDIT: Oops! Double Post!!!)

myring1339.JPG

Wow, it turned out beautifully! The milgrain is great and the diamond is GORGEOUS! Are you sure you have to make your girlfriend wait 4 more weeks?! It''s just not fair to deprive her of that for an entire month!
3.gif

Date: 7/27/2008 8:50:03 PM
Author: thing2of2
Wow, it turned out beautifully! The milgrain is great and the diamond is GORGEOUS! Are you sure you have to make your girlfriend wait 4 more weeks?! It''s just not fair to deprive her of that for an entire month!
3.gif
Haha thanks! I''m glad you like it. I am on a work detail until August 8th, then I''ll make my way back home and propose sometime after that, so I don''t have much of a choice
8.gif
on how soon I can propose...

Anyways, I will get some better pictures up when I get back home!

Wow that is an amazing ring. Nicely done! Question, there have been alot of questions lately about I color. Do you notice any warmth in your stone? I have decided to go with an I color myself but I have not actually seen the stone yet.

Hi rcrosier,

Just wanted to say Congrats on such a beautiful ring - the millegrain is GORGEOUS!! Also, thank you for sharing your pictures. They were lovely to look at. The hand shots look so sparkly and beautiful - a bit more lively than the WF pics, which were exquisite as well!

Date: 7/28/2008 10:00:20 AM
Author: first123
Wow that is an amazing ring. Nicely done! Question, there have been alot of questions lately about I color. Do you notice any warmth in your stone? I have decided to go with an I color myself but I have not actually seen the stone yet.

I did when I was in the WF offices looking at it face down next to the D color stones on a grading tray, but not when looking at them face up. I haven't been home yet to see my finished ring in person, but my mom assures me it looks very white. She said she doesn't see any color from the sides either. She even said it looked whiter than her G color stone, but her G is set in yellow gold so that is likely an issue of evironment. I got a Legato head to try to hide the sides just a litte, but I really wasn't that worried. I asked Brian Gavin if he thought the I color would be a problem or take away from the beauty of the stone and he indicated that he did not, so that was good enough for me. What you have to remember is that I color stones are still in the near-colorless range, so a great cut, like a WF ACA, should never face up yellow. Heck, an I isn't even yellow face down, but just a slight hue of color instead of being pale. EDIT: If you look on a lot of websites, they categorize D-E-F as colorless and G-H-I-J as near-colorless, but they make a designation between I & J, such as on the website below:

http://www.thediamondbuyingguide.com/diamondcolor.html

I think that the steps between G-H-I are less noticable than between I-J-K when talking about the face up position. Notice that when looking at diamond prices, going from a G to H then H to I has a smaller increment in value than from an I to J or J to K. But you should also know that many J and even K diamonds face up very white, so long as the cut is exceptional. Personally, I would suggest looking at some in person and seeing what you think as pictures can be confusting and misrepresentative when it comes to a diamond's color.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP