shape
carat
color
clarity

My first diamond ring. It's electric!

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Most of you will know that I'm a big fan of star stones. Now I've got a (sort of) star diamond.

In normal lighting (top pic), the stone looks like a very yellow-brown diamond with an X-shaped inclusion cloud. The magic comes when it's lit from the side with a flashlight - the X glows (middle pic). But for a really cool trick, you can replace the middle section with an insert holding a LED powered by magnetic induction. When you hover the ring over an induction base, the X glows in light from the LED (lower pic).
DiamondRing.jpg

This picture shows how the ring is assembled:
DiamondRingAssembe.jpg

The main part is platinum, the metal insert is rose gold with brown diamond accent stones and the LED holder is black plastic (nylon), (so as not to interfere with the magnetic induction).

The ring was designed and made by Cinnamon Lee, an innovative Sydney jeweller. She is interested in both jewellery and lighting. This was very much her project.

From one point of view, the whole thing in rather a gimmick. But it's a very cool gimmick! I hope to have some videos in a day or two.

@Starstruck8 I am starstruck ! it is a dream ring :kiss2: It appeals to both my aesthetic and nerdy sensibilities :appl: It is so much fun :mrgreen2:
It should get an award for both beauty and creativity.
Love it lots.

Very unique stone and ring!

That's super cool!!!

Love this!!!!

Super cool design, like nothing I've seen before!! <3

This is the coolest ring ever! Looking forward to videos!

Wow! So cool. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like this on PS!

I keep coming back to this. 1. Does it have a cert? I'd love to see how GIA labeled the fluor (strong? med?), and OMG IT'S JUST SO COOOOOOL!

How cool is that!

Wow this is so cool and love how different it looks when it's lit. What a cool party trick!

Thank you all for the appreciative comments!

@Starstruck8 I am starstruck ! it is a dream ring :kiss2: It appeals to both my aesthetic and nerdy sensibilities :appl: It is so much fun :mrgreen2:
It should get an award for both beauty and creativity.
Love it lots.

Thank you! Yes, 'aesthetic and nerdy' sums up Cinnamon Lee's approach, as a look at her website shows. She embraces technical challenges and likes conceptual twists. She was clearly the right (?only possible?) person for this project.

Of course I want one.

First, find your diamond... :)

I keep coming back to this. 1. Does it have a cert? I'd love to see how GIA labeled the fluor (strong? med?), and OMG IT'S JUST SO COOOOOOL!

No report. It visibly is what it is. Apart from the very cool inclusions, it would not have much value. It was just waiting for a weird, geeky collector... :)

As far as I can see (but I'm not absolutely sure), it's not fluorescent. The glow is just the inclusions being illuminated. The blueish colour in the pictures is caused by different colour temperatures of the ambient lighting and the flashlight/LED.

Thank you all for the appreciative comments!

Thank you! Yes, 'aesthetic and nerdy' sums up Cinnamon Lee's approach, as a look at her website shows. She embraces technical challenges and likes conceptual twists. She was clearly the right (?only possible?) person for this project.

First, find your diamond... :)

No report. It visibly is what it is. Apart from the very cool inclusions, it would not have much value. It was just waiting for a weird, geeky collector... :)

As far as I can see (but I'm not absolutely sure), it's not fluorescent. The glow is just the inclusions being illuminated. The blueish colour in the pictures is caused by different colour temperatures of the ambient lighting and the flashlight/LED.

omg it's not fluorescent? I totally thought it was. Super super cool.

It’s wonderful @Starstruck8. When I visit Sydney next, I would love to see her pieces.

How neat!! Loved reading about it- Enjoy!!

So cool. A rock collector’s dream setting.

Some more pics.

(Left) I found that you can light up the star in direct sun, if the ring is angled properly

(Right) A close-up of the stone with the X lit. It shows that the X is formed by a cloud of tiny inclusions. Also, some subtle growth zoning, most clearly seen in the middle of the arms. I haven't fully grasped the 3D structure.
DiamondC.jpg

I'm new to video, so apologies for the quality:

The induction base is under the cloth (to avoid distractions - and to make it spookier). The light flashes off in a dead spot in the magnetic induction field.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP