shape
carat
color
clarity

my very first Pad...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
31.gif

SSCN3221.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
4.gif

SSCN3222.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
37.gif

SSCN3223.JPG

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mochi, the cushion is to die for, very beautiful. I love them both though.

Do you mind sharing, where you found them???

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 2:44:29 PM
Author: Linda W

The oval I got from ebay (GASP!). The cushion was from my jeweller.

I don''t know what to do wtih them yet. I would love to get them certified, but if it''s going to cost a lot of $$, than I''ll just enjoy them for what they are.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mochi, What setting are you interested in for your cushion??? I can picture it in a James Meyer
9.gif
, or even the lotus setting that MakingTheGrade purchased. That is just me though.

Linda

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Linda... Not sure yet, but what you mentioned are gorgeous settings. I''m going to keep them as a pet for a bit, I think until my jewelry budget is a bit better.
14.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 3:49:21 PM
Author: mochi

I don''t know what to do wtih them yet. I would love to get them certified, but if it''s going to cost a lot of $$, than I''ll just enjoy them for what they are.
Mochi did you ask whether either were diffused? If they have been then it won''t be worth spending the money on getting them certified. A very strong colour (especially if the gemstones were not top $) is fairly indicative of BE diffusion. I would hazard a guess that the majority of Ebay Pads are diffused - although that''s a sweeping statement but you know what I mean.

Whether they''re treated or not, they''re both incredibly pretty and I can''t wait to see how you set them but PLEASE stop taking pictures by your pool - I get so envious each time I see it!
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 4:51:39 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Mochi did you ask whether either were diffused? If they have been then it won''t be worth spending the money on getting them certified. A very strong colour (especially if the gemstones were not top $) is fairly indicative of BE diffusion. I would hazard a guess that the majority of Ebay Pads are diffused - although that''s a sweeping statement but you know what I mean.

Whether they''re treated or not, they''re both incredibly pretty and I can''t wait to see how you set them but PLEASE stop taking pictures by your pool - I get so envious each time I see it!
9.gif
Mochi, I love both the colors on these, but especially the cushion!

I would ask if they are Be diffused though. Pads are such a tricky stone for me. If you only paid 100s for them, then it''s tough to get yourself to pay $250 bucks to get them certified (AGTA). But if they are Be diffused, then they wouldn''t be worth anywhere near the 100s you paid. This is why I would not buy a pad unless certed by a respectable lab.

In fact, I still have not received the cert from Richard. I trust that this is what he says (since he spoke to GRS personally) but call me gun shy...I don''t want to send it off to be set until I see the cert with my own eyes.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
mochi, they both are glowing beauties! I have to admit that I do favor the cushion among the two.

I am soooooooooooooooooooo jealous because I have no room in my budget to afford a pad. Will just drool over yours everyday!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Such gorgeous, fiery stones!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 12:33:17 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
sooooo pretty!!! I''m so jealous of your collection - btw, Mochi, I think it''s high time that you did a thread showing pics of your entire collection
1.gif
DITTO!!! Beautiful stones!!!!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mochi,
Kawai. Joking! They are beautiful. Please do follow Loving Diamond''s advice though. I hope that they are indeed the real thing. I missed the appearances of Art Nouveau and Widgets'' Pads, and am thrilled that we are finally getting to see lovely specimens.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Mochi,
You surprise us all the time!! I love it!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 4:19:09 PM
Author: marcyc
Gorgeous!

Thank you, Marcy! I haven''t seen you around while..

mochi

Ideal_Rock

9.gif
Will, he said heated, but didn''t specify how or what, and of course I didn''t ask.
38.gif
I''m not that educated on the types of treatments and this is a area that I''m going to have to read up on.

If it is diffused, does that mean that the color will fade over time?

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 5:37:21 PM
Author: TravelingGal

9.gif
Mochi, I love both the colors on these, but especially the cushion!

I would ask if they are Be diffused though. Pads are such a tricky stone for me. If you only paid 100s for them, then it''s tough to get yourself to pay $250 bucks to get them certified (AGTA). But if they are Be diffused, then they wouldn''t be worth anywhere near the 100s you paid. This is why I would not buy a pad unless certed by a respectable lab.

In fact, I still have not received the cert from Richard. I trust that this is what he says (since he spoke to GRS personally) but call me gun shy...I don''t want to send it off to be set until I see the cert with my own eyes.
I''ll just enjoy it for now, I guess. Not sure what to do with them..

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 5:49:53 PM
Author: yingh
mochi, they both are glowing beauties! I have to admit that I do favor the cushion among the two.

I am soooooooooooooooooooo jealous because I have no room in my budget to afford a pad. Will just drool over yours everyday!

Thank you, Yingh... It is a pretty color.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 6:03:09 PM
Author: kittybean
Such gorgeous, fiery stones!

Awww...thank you Kittybean!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 6:06:54 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Date: 3/14/2009 12:33:17 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
sooooo pretty!!! I''m so jealous of your collection - btw, Mochi, I think it''s high time that you did a thread showing pics of your entire collection
1.gif
DITTO!!! Beautiful stones!!!!

Thank you, Freke!!

lili

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty.
I love them....especially the cushion!
30.gif

Love the shot of the gem on the clovers.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 6:18:07 PM
Author: Harriet
Mochi,
Kawai. Joking! They are beautiful. Please do follow Loving Diamond''s advice though. I hope that they are indeed the real thing. I missed the appearances of Art Nouveau and Widgets'' Pads, and am thrilled that we are finally getting to see lovely specimens.

konbanwa, Harriet-san!! And thank you. I take in alot of information and learn so much from you guys..

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 6:24:20 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Wow Mochi,
You surprise us all the time!! I love it!

Oh, thank you TL!!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 7:10:04 PM
Author: lili
Very pretty.
I love them....especially the cushion!
30.gif

Love the shot of the gem on the clovers.

Thank you lili!! It''s almost St.Paddy''s!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 7:03:07 PM

I don't know what to do wtih them yet. I would love to get them certified, but if it's going to cost a lot of $$, than I'll just enjoy them for what they are.
Mochi did you ask whether either were diffused? If they have been then it won't be worth spending the money on getting them certified. A very strong colour (especially if the gemstones were not top $) is fairly indicative of BE diffusion. I would hazard a guess that the majority of Ebay Pads are diffused - although that's a sweeping statement but you know what I mean.

Whether they're treated or not, they're both incredibly pretty and I can't wait to see how you set them but PLEASE stop taking pictures by your pool - I get so envious each time I see it!
9.gif
Will, he said heated, but didn't specify how or what, and of course I didn't ask.
38.gif
I'm not that educated on the types of treatments and this is a area that I'm going to have to read up on.

Mochi - don't worry, we all had to learn at some point! Here's the non-technical explanation and then I'll link you to a couple of articles.

Basically you have (1) real Pads - where the colour has occurred naturally or has been heated to obtain the Pad colour. Then you have (2) Padparadscha COLOURED sapphires. These are sapphires (normally low grade but not always) that are treated with a chemical to infuse them to become Pad coloured. They are NOT Pads, however, they are sapphires. The treatment can be called lattice diffusion, BE diffusion, Berylium diffusion, new heat (a particularly misleading term that is being used in Thailand now), and bulk diffusion - so it can get confusing. The huge difference is that a real Pad is worth top $. BE treated Pads are not. Their colour normally is fairly strong with a diffused Pad (which is why I asked the question of yours). BE treatment is not on the same playing field as heat treatment. Some people accept heat treatment but for others it's a complete "no no". Diffusion is much less tolerated as it's not seen as being "natural".

Years ago, it was easy to spot a BE diffused stone by immersing it, however, technology has progressed and that's no longer the case. You now need to get a gemstone tested to be 100% sure. Also I believe when BE treatment first started it was akin to a coating and therefore if you cut or scratched the gemstone it would reveal the "real" colour underneath. That's no longer the case and the treatment goes all through the stone. I don't believe that this treatment fades either.

Here are some links that I hope you find interesting.

http://lgdl.gia.edu/pdfs/su03a1.pdf

http://www.palagems.com/bulk_diffusion_sapphire.htm

http://reviews.ebay.com/Sri-Lanka-Padparadscha-Orange-Sapphires_W0QQugidZ10000000001000086

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Holy Moly Mochi!!

I go out for the day and this is what I miss. I tell you they are mighty nice stones - you must be over the moon. The cushion is my fav, but they are both lovely, you lucky girl.

Did I miss something, did we know you were up to something????? You''re pictures are lovely and as for the pool, well what can I say - I''m so envious. Not so much of the pool, but the warmth. I''ve got a 4ft snowdrift at the back of my house and a skating rink of 6" of solid ice at the front. In fact, earlier on I was trying to melt a chanel in it with a flame thrower!!

Enjoy your lovely new pretties.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 7:36:00 PM

9.gif
Will, he said heated, but didn''t specify how or what, and of course I didn''t ask.
38.gif
I''m not that educated on the types of treatments and this is a area that I''m going to have to read up on.

Mochi - don''t worry, we all had to learn at some point! Here''s the non-technical explanation and then I''ll link you to a couple of articles.

Basically you have (1) real Pads - where the colour has occurred naturally or has been heated to obtain the Pad colour. Then you have (2) Padparadscha COLOURED sapphires. These are sapphires (normally low grade but not always) that are treated with a chemical to infuse them to become Pad coloured. They are NOT Pads, however, they are sapphires. The treatment can be called lattice diffusion, BE diffusion, Berylium diffusion, new heat (a particularly misleading term that is being used in Thailand now), and bulk diffusion - so it can get confusing. The huge difference is that a real Pad is worth top $. BE treated Pads are not. Their colour normally is fairly strong with a diffused Pad (which is why I asked the question of yours). BE treatment is not on the same playing field as heat treatment. Some people accept heat treatment but for others it''s a complete ''no no''. Diffusion is much less tolerated as it''s not seen as being ''natural''.

Years ago, it was easy to spot a BE diffused stone by immersing it, however, technology has progressed and that''s no longer the case. You now need to get a gemstone tested to be 100% sure. Also I believe when BE treatment first started it was akin to a coating and therefore if you cut or scratched the gemstone it would reveal the ''real'' colour underneath. That''s no longer the case and the treatment goes all through the stone. I don''t believe that this treatment fades either.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Sri-Lanka-Padparadscha-Orange-Sapphires_W0QQugidZ10000000001000086
Thank you LD for taking the time to explain this and the links. I will read over them.

BTW.. you''re more than welcome to come over for a dip in the pool anytime!!
35.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 8:12:15 PM
Author: Gailey
Holy Moly Mochi!!

I go out for the day and this is what I miss. I tell you they are mighty nice stones - you must be over the moon. The cushion is my fav, but they are both lovely, you lucky girl.

Did I miss something, did we know you were up to something????? You''re pictures are lovely and as for the pool, well what can I say - I''m so envious. Not so much of the pool, but the warmth. I''ve got a 4ft snowdrift at the back of my house and a skating rink of 6'' of solid ice at the front. In fact, earlier on I was trying to melt a chanel in it with a flame thrower!!

Enjoy your lovely new pretties.

Gailey... it''s getting pretty warm here in FL... I don''t envy the snow all of you guys have been getting up north.

I didn''t get the zircon from Gene. I was expecting it today, but it was not to be.
8.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 7:36:00 PM

9.gif
38.gif

Mochi - don''t worry, we all had to learn at some point! Here''s the non-technical explanation and then I''ll link you to a couple of articles.

Basically you have (1) real Pads - where the colour has occurred naturally or has been heated to obtain the Pad colour. Then you have (2) Padparadscha COLOURED sapphires. These are sapphires (normally low grade but not always) that are treated with a chemical to infuse them to become Pad coloured. They are NOT Pads, however, they are sapphires. The treatment can be called lattice diffusion, BE diffusion, Berylium diffusion, new heat (a particularly misleading term that is being used in Thailand now), and bulk diffusion - so it can get confusing. The huge difference is that a real Pad is worth top $. BE treated Pads are not. Their colour normally is fairly strong with a diffused Pad (which is why I asked the question of yours). BE treatment is not on the same playing field as heat treatment. Some people accept heat treatment but for others it''s a complete ''no no''. Diffusion is much less tolerated as it''s not seen as being ''natural''.

Years ago, it was easy to spot a BE diffused stone by immersing it, however, technology has progressed and that''s no longer the case. You now need to get a gemstone tested to be 100% sure. Also I believe when BE treatment first started it was akin to a coating and therefore if you cut or scratched the gemstone it would reveal the ''real'' colour underneath. That''s no longer the case and the treatment goes all through the stone. I don''t believe that this treatment fades either.

Thanks for the write up LD. It is important to note that all BE treated stones are heated, but not all heated stones are BE-treated. If the seller is telling you it''s heated, he''s not lying, but if it''s BE-heated, he isn''t disclosing the full truth either. Sellers on ebay tend to do that A LOT with BE-heated stones. I''m not saying Mochi''s stone is BE-heated, but this is just some FYI for people buying sapphires, especially on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results