shape
carat
color
clarity

Nabati Jewelry for rubies?

My new look? :lol:

It's actually not as uncomfortable as I would have thought, confirming that for me at least thickness is much more important for comfort than width.

1724905639395.png

You are a candidate for those think jadeite rings! I’ve always wanted one but they are so uncomfortable for me!

Those look great on you!!! Love the emerald band!

She said this will be 3.5mm ring and about 2.5mm in height not filed down and no stones on the side.

@Dreamer_D summoned me so here I come. :D

To me it definitely would not be too bulky. However, I spent a decent number of years with a veeery chunky full eternity practically glued to my finger - about 2,8mm in height and a smidgen over 5mm wide. And square, with corners. At first, I could feel it, because that's a pretty thick ring to stick between your fingers, and then I adjusted to it and no longer noticed it.

I no longer wear it because I've gained weight since university and it doesn't fit my ring finger anymore, it only works with the pinky. Haven't gotten rid of it for sentimental reasons, otherwise it isn't anything special, silver piece with cz. But if it would fit me today, I'd slip it on without a second thought.

With that said, I imagine Yvonne has experience with a large number of customers and has probably established that for most people bulky is not the way to go. I imagine you have some time so here's my suggestion - go visit some jewellery stores and ask to see and try on their bulky eternities. See how it looks on your hand and how you feel about it. That way, if you have a strong negative reaction from the start, you'll know to go with half eternity and thinned down metal band for comfort, rather than the originally planned 3/4 eternity.

Thank you, everyone for your valuable advice! Yvonne shared a pic of a similar ring to give me a visual. This isn't what I was visualizing as my choice of looks for this particular ring for me. Rings don't spin on my "pudgy" fingers, so am going with 1/2 eternity with less metal on the sides and bottom. Now this opens the door for me to have matching ruby earrings LOL! ((hugs)) to all for helping me!
ring profile.png

Thanks for tagging me, @Dreamer_D!

I have three eternity-ish rings, one ring with a thin half eternity on the band, and one very bulky pearl ring but none of those eternity-ish rings are from Yvonne (my one ring from her is a Paraiba tourmaline in the Camellia oval setting). My fingers are kind of knuckly so there's some space between my fingers at the base but also rings are always going to be a bit loose there just because of the size to get over the knuckle. For reference, I have big hands with long fingers. My ring finger size is a 6.5+ and my index and middle fingers are a 7.5+. I don't have a good way to measure finger length but I can reach an octave and two notes on the piano and they're the longest hands of any woman I've compared to (except I'm tied with my mother).

Because my rings spin due to looseness from the knuckle size, I would personally choose more than a half eternity. I like that the emerald band is a 2/3, personally!

Below are photos with dimensions. I just took all of these rather than digging through my old photos and the lighting isn't exactly flattering to my jewelry right now, but it was just to show you how they look and to talk about dimensions and comfort. Dimensions were measured with a set of electronic calipers just now.

Side view of everything I'm discussing here:
1724899322995.png

From most to least comfortable:

1) Wide diamond eternity band. 5.8mm wide, 2mm thick, comfort fit, full eternity (I might still return this one, it's been a saga! this is my second time having it in-hand but it's so comfortable and I think it's really fun)
1724898460984.png

2) Rubellite and ruby ring, rubies going just under halfway around. I added this just because it's rubies and thus maybe relevant. 2mm wide and 2.7mm thick at the pave, 1.9mm wide and 1.9mm thick for the plain band. This is comfort fit on the inside which is great but it spins -- probably not relevant to your band. I wish this had more ruby coverage so I wouldn't ever see plain metal.
1724898715375.png

3) Emerald CvB 2/3-ish eternity band, 4.3mm wide at the top, 3mm thick at the top, 1.8mm wide at the bottom, 1.8mm thick at the bottom. Definitely aware of this between my fingers but I got used to it quickly, it helps that it's relatively smooth
1724898620421.png

4) Sapphire eternity band. 3.9mm wide, 2.4mm thick. Even though it's thinner, this one is less comfy than the emerald band because it isn't a soft comfort fit on the inside and I'm more aware of the sharper edges on the milgrain than of the smooth emerald setting
1724898985110.png

5) Surprising no one, chonky pearl is the least comfy even though it's very rounded, though honestly I think that's at least somewhat due to sheer weight. The bottom diamond circles are 5.6mm wide and thick and they just get between my fingers when my hand is held flat but not when it's kind of naturally draped in like a typing position. The plain metal tapers from 3.5mm wide and 2.5mm thick just below the circles to 4.5mm wide and 2.4mm thick at the bottom. It really helps that this is so rounded, I debated switching this and the sapphire ring above it.

1724899299844.png

Edit: and just to be clear, none of these is actually uncomfy -- to me. Maybe I'm not picky. I will happily wear any of them all day at work at my computer-intense job. It's just that ring #1 is soooooo smooth and comfy I would forget I have it on and I would never forget about the emerald or sapphire bands.
Wow, you have an amazing collection of rings and beautiful hands too showcase them too! Thank you for your advice and the time you took to help me!=)2

@Dreamer_D summoned me so here I come. :D

To me it definitely would not be too bulky. However, I spent a decent number of years with a veeery chunky full eternity practically glued to my finger - about 2,8mm in height and a smidgen over 5mm wide. And square, with corners. At first, I could feel it, because that's a pretty thick ring to stick between your fingers, and then I adjusted to it and no longer noticed it.

I no longer wear it because I've gained weight since university and it doesn't fit my ring finger anymore, it only works with the pinky. Haven't gotten rid of it for sentimental reasons, otherwise it isn't anything special, silver piece with cz. But if it would fit me today, I'd slip it on without a second thought.

With that said, I imagine Yvonne has experience with a large number of customers and has probably established that for most people bulky is not the way to go. I imagine you have some time so here's my suggestion - go visit some jewellery stores and ask to see and try on their bulky eternities. See how it looks on your hand and how you feel about it. That way, if you have a strong negative reaction from the start, you'll know to go with half eternity and thinned down metal band for comfort, rather than the originally planned 3/4 eternity.

Hi Avondale! Thank you for your advice and experience which helped me make my decision. I appreciate your time!

You'll still feel a half eternity between your fingers, just FYI. If you truly want it to not have pave where your fingers touch, it should be a little shy of 1/2 -- if you see the side view of chunky pearl and of rubellite, they don't quite make it halfway around. I still vote for more stones rather than fewer so hitting the 'full half' just so you don't see plain metal, but that's just me!

Love the idea of having matching earrings and can't wait to see the finished ring! :)

Here's an example from JbG with stones in your stone size range with full top coverage and no stones between the fingers and it clearly doesn't hit halfway. It's a small size so you may need more stones, but I mostly wanted to show the top and side view:
1724941342644.png
1724941359513.png

You are a candidate for those think jadeite rings! I’ve always wanted one but they are so uncomfortable for me!

Those look great on you!!! Love the emerald band!

Jade is so mysterious and honestly a little scary to me but if you ever see a particularly good one in my size range, let me know! I would want a US 7.75-8, EU 56 if I ever got one.

The emerald band is a preloved PS purchase and I love it too!

@kathley - looking forward to seeing how your ruby half-eternity project turns out -- I hope you update us!

@newtojewels makes a good point about literal half eternity vs stones spanning the top of finger and not going between. A subtle distinction worth considering!

You'll still feel a half eternity between your fingers, just FYI. If you truly want it to not have pave where your fingers touch, it should be a little shy of 1/2 -- if you see the side view of chunky pearl and of rubellite, they don't quite make it halfway around. I still vote for more stones rather than fewer so hitting the 'full half' just so you don't see plain metal, but that's just me!

Love the idea of having matching earrings and can't wait to see the finished ring! :)

Here's an example from JbG with stones in your stone size range with full top coverage and no stones between the fingers and it clearly doesn't hit halfway. It's a small size so you may need more stones, but I mostly wanted to show the top and side view:
1724941342644.png
1724941359513.png

This is a great visual for me, thank you!

@kathley - looking forward to seeing how your ruby half-eternity project turns out -- I hope you update us!

Hi marymm. I am really excited about this project and super appreciative of everyone's input! I will share photos of the completed ring. Yvonne said about 6 or so weeks...

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP