shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help finding a princess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Whipped

Rough_Rock
I am having trouble finding the "perfect" princess cut stone. After studying and seeing stones I have developed pretty strict specifications. My budget is $6000 to $8500.

Size: 1 - 1.5 carat
Cut: Ideal (AGS0 prefered)
Color: D-F
Clarity: IF-VS1
L/W ratio: <1.02

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Any reason that your clarity expectations are so high? A VS1 will look exactly the same to the naked eye as an SI1 if the SI1 is eyeclean...

I really just don''t want to have any regrets with the purchase. I would rather "play it safe" with buying online and not seeing the stone first. I don''t want to hassle with visiting an independent appraiser and possibly shipping it back. It is worth paying a little more and know that it is eyeclean.

However, I am open to any suggestions. And, I am having trouble finding Ideal cuts that meet the other criteria.

Good Old Gold has a number of them at the lower end of that carat range that meet your other criteria.

Those are options at the low end of my budget. Maybe I can look at larger stones?

I looked at GOG, but only found one of those stones. I do like their $500 upgrade policy.

The middle one is graded by GIA, but it has AGS ideal light performance...or is that a typo?

Date: 12/6/2008 2:34:58 PM
Author: Whipped
Those are options at the low end of my budget. Maybe I can look at larger stones?

I looked at GOG, but only found one of those stones. I do like their $500 upgrade policy.

You could look at larger stones if you relaxed a few of your requirements...but so far I am having a hard time finding ones that meet your criteria in a larger size. Tis the season for short supply unfortunately...

Date: 12/6/2008 2:15:59 PM

However, I am open to any suggestions. .

Here''s one: in a well cut princess, you''d probably get a larger stone for your dollar if you expanded your color criteria to include G and H stones. I would feel confident recommending an H-colored princess if it was beautifully cut.

Yea, I haven''t found any stones above 1.1 that have what I am looking for. Maybe it best to stick with close to 1 where there are options.

I would be willing to look at G.

What kind of budget do you have?

Here is one 1.23c G VS1.

Date: 12/6/2008 3:29:51 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
What kind of budget do you have?

He said $6-8.5K.

Ok, lets take another angle... If you had $8k to buy a princess cut, what would you buy?

One word - WHITEFLASH! Ok two words WHITEFLASH ACA!!!! :)

I just got a princess. Didn''t have the budget you did. I got a .728 F SI1. I LOVE it! I can''t find the inclusions under a 30X microscope when I was in teh store. I just got it today. But haven''t seen anything in any light so far. Whiteflash will tell you what is eye clean. The ACA cut sparkles like NO princess I have ever seen. I''d buy from there without a doubt.

If I had $8K, I''d probably be willing to expand my search to include stones I-J in color, and SI2 in clarity (with the clarity codicil being: the jeweler/gemologist would have to assure me that it''s 100% eye-clean, and their return policy would have to reflect a favorable outcome for me if I wasn''t 100% happy with the stone) in order to have a broader size range from which to choose.

I would not relax the cut criteria. I *probably* would not be willing to relax the ratio criteria, either. However, that ratio thing is just a matter of my personal taste (which, judging by your ratio criteria, you appear to share).

Date: 12/6/2008 5:54:38 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
One word - WHITEFLASH! Ok two words WHITEFLASH ACA!!!! :)

I just got a princess. Didn''t have the budget you did. I got a .728 F SI1. I LOVE it! I can''t find the inclusions under a 30X microscope when I was in teh store. I just got it today. But haven''t seen anything in any light so far. Whiteflash will tell you what is eye clean. The ACA cut sparkles like NO princess I have ever seen. I''d buy from there without a doubt.

Yeah, WF ACA is another really good option. I think there''s only one in stock that meets his criteria (except for color) and it''s at the lower end of his size spectrum: I think it''s a 1.0

Date: 12/6/2008 5:56:35 PM
Author: Mediterranean
If I had $8K, I'd probably be willing to expand my search to include stones I-J in color, and SI2 in clarity (with the clarity codicil being: the jeweler/gemologist would have to assure me that it's 100% eye-clean, and their return policy would have to reflect a favorable outcome for me if I wasn't 100% happy with the stone) in order to have a broader size range from which to choose.

I would not relax the cut criteria. I *probably* would not be willing to relax the ratio criteria, either. However, that ratio thing is just a matter of my personal taste (which, judging by your ratio criteria, you appear to share).

So you would suggest something like this: http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-912103.htm?

Date: 12/6/2008 7:25:27 PM

If I had $8K, I''d probably be willing to expand my search to include stones I-J in color, and SI2 in clarity (with the clarity codicil being: the jeweler/gemologist would have to assure me that it''s 100% eye-clean, and their return policy would have to reflect a favorable outcome for me if I wasn''t 100% happy with the stone) in order to have a broader size range from which to choose.

So you would suggest something like this: http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-912103.htm?
That stone is nice, but you could do a little better. There should be a more red in the ASET picture.

Date: 12/6/2008 7:32:31 PM
Author: JulieN
Date: 12/6/2008 7:25:27 PM

That stone is nice, but you could do a little better. There should be a more red in the ASET picture.

Yeah, I agree w/Julie. That''s too much light-leakage and I''d look for a better cut quality

whipped - that is not an ACA princess. You need to stick with ACAs. You could email Lesley with your criteria. You can relax on the clarity for sure. I''m color sensitive, so I went with an F. But judging from what I have read on here you can relax that too. But stick with the ACA - they are 5 star rated with WF. The one you linked is only 4 star rated.

I''m thinking like this one: www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-1158450.htm

But it is too low on the color chart. Though you might be perfectly happy with it. (Have you watched the video on color? It''s pretty eye opening on how little difference there is) Anyways, that''s the only one in the carat size for you. But I urge you to contact WF and see when they will have more. You will not be sorry with an ACA princess. Trust me. I''m terribly picky and I love mine. :)

Date: 12/6/2008 8:46:24 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
whipped - that is not an ACA princess. You need to stick with ACAs.

I would love to get an ACA, but that color is too low. I am going to watch WF for the next few weeks.

Date: 12/6/2008 10:28:55 PM
Author: Fly Girl
This one meets your criteria. Link A gorgeous Crafted by Infinity princess would be perfect. =400&src=loupe:2o8h065d]Link2

Thanks for finding this stone. Do you think it is priced appropriately? It seems a little high, but it is slightly larger than the three stones we looked at earlier.

Date: 12/6/2008 10:54:07 PM

This one meets your criteria. Link A gorgeous Crafted by Infinity princess would be perfect. =400&src=loupe:2o8h065d]Link2
Thanks for finding this stone. Do you think it is priced appropriately? It seems a little high, but it is slightly larger than the three stones we looked at earlier.
Whipped - You are paying for the top cut, color, and clarity combo here. Look at the light return of that ASET. Now, dropping to a slightly smaller F VS2 saves you over $1,000. Link

Going down in color saves a lot more $$$. But, you sure can''t beat the cut of these stones.

Crafted108ASET.jpg

Date: 12/6/2008 11:11:20 PM
Date: 12/6/2008 10:54:07 PM

Whipped - You are paying for the top cut, color, and clarity combo here. Look at the light return of that ASET. Now, dropping to a slightly smaller F VS2 saves you over $1,000. Link

Going down in color saves a lot more $$$. But, you sure can''t beat the cut of these stones.

WINNER!
30.gif
FlyGirl, nice catch!!
30.gif

I agree that expanding the color criteria would save a lot of money, and give you more from which to choose. Take into account all of the factors which affect an observer''s perception of color: The stone will be mounted in jewelry. It won''t be viewed through a loupe, or side-by-side with same-sized, same-cut quality, higher-colored diamonds for probably 99.999% of its existence. In this size range, it won''t be a perceptible difference to the eye of the wearer/observer: it''s an object that is roughly between five or five and a half millimeters wide. It will be mounted in jewelry. Also, it will be worn by a living person who will be moving 100% of the time, and who''ll be in all sorts of different lighting conditions, wearing all kinds of colors in her clothing, moving around in environments that consist of all kinds of colors. That means the stone will be in constant motion, picking up and reflecting back all types of lighting. Of all the criteria, color is the most subjective, I think. And I know there are buyers who must have "d" colored stones, or "IF" or "FL" clarity stones, because they feel it reflects the purity of their love for their intended, but beyond the symbolic reference, those factors are imperceptible in a "jewelry meant for daily wear" situation.

I have relaxed my criteria quite a bit, but I think the lowest color I want to go is G. A number of people have told me that for the normal observer, the color is more important than the cut.

There are a few GIA stones I have considered on jamesallen, but I''m concerned about the low symmetry and girdle grades.

Hopefully more stones will pop up after christmas.

Date: 12/7/2008 6:06:39 PM
A number of people have told me that for the normal observer, the color is more important than the cut.

23.gif
23.gif
Whaaaaat??? Oh, Pricescopers!
23.gif
23.gif

That does refute all that we''ve learned on PS.

I must respectfully beg to disagree with those who have advised you in this manner. It is my firm belief that you''ve been misled. While it is certainly true that the casual observer will not be able to tell that the pavilion angle is XX% or that the crown angle is XX%, the RESULTS of an excellent cutting job are actually more evident to the casual observer than any other factor, all other things being equal. A stone that is less well cut can:

possibly face up smaller than its carat weight

potentially expose more flaws to the eye

exhibit a dullness or darkness characteristic of a stone that cannot handle light properly

ironically enough, betray itself as being lower-color (with no flashes of white light to brighten it)

I definitely hope some PS''ers chime in on this one. For something other than my (very humble, totally not-expert) opinion, do a search of the forum for posts that are about the importance of cut quality.

Alright, so apparently that advice was wrong or misread.

I am now realizing that I may not have to spend as much as I thought to get a very nice 1+ carat. I have expanded my searches to include D-G and IF-VS2...and GIA stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP