shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help finding a princess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 12/7/2008 7:22:33 PM
Author: Mrs W
If I was going to buy a princess cut I would so be all over these:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3777/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5083/

These were the same ones mentioned earlier. These are "in the hunt".

I am really trying to find something on WF for dumb reasons, im sure... I like WF''s ring builder feature a lot better because they actually list prices. It seems like it is very difficult to find the setting you want on GOG.

GOG has the settings listed on their site....you just have to ask about the prices. Most from GOG are designer settings if you want that or not...

Also, WF does not have any ACA princess in stock with your requirements..... this is the closest and its an H if your okay with that....ACA princess is the best/ideal princess on WF website

I think you can find a nice stone that will represent a great deal, and absolute beauty. It''s frustrating because princess cuts are subjective and the dueling grading systems can be contentious(not to scare you, just to offer some perspective on the search, but I gave up on my princess search...my fiance had to finish it alone, and he got so frustrated that we ended up with a larger more expensive stone that we wanted originally, but it was the prettiest one, even if it was roughly half a carat beyond our upper range). Since you can''t see the stones with your naked eye right now, here''s my small and very lay-person''s guide to looking at the light performance indicators (your ASET and IdealScope images).

Click on the ASET image. OK. The ASET shows you where the stone gathers light. the BLUE color on the ASET represents a light frequency that''ll be blocked by the eye. It can, however, add contrast (giving the stone a depth and complexity). RED is the best, the most intense concentration of light. Green is OK. Green represents a light that has the intensity of reflected light, as opposed to direct light. So, green is OK, RED is the BEST.
WHITE represents light leakage, which is bad. WHITE is particularly bad when it''s right next to BLUE (because blue is blocked by the observer, WHITE next to BLUE will appear as a lifeless, dead spot on the stone in real life).

So, let''s look at your IdealScope image for this stone:

The IdealScope image is showing you your stone''s light return, the light that gets reflected back at you by the stone. The more RED you see here, the BRIGHTER your stone is. Remember how I keep saying over and over until I annoy you
20.gif
that you can go down in color comfortably with a well cut stone? THIS is why: BRIGHTNESS. Bright stones flash more light back at you, and look whiter (higher in color) than stones that are NOT as well-cut. So, with the IdealScope image RED is BRIGHTNESS. The REDDER, the BRIGHTER, yes? OK. WHITE is light leakage. Light leakage can make diamonds look smaller (like in the case of rounds that leak too much light at the girdle or outer edge) or it can make them look less alive... neither outcome is good. And while all diamonds leak SOME light, you don''t want too much white (a pink area is better. Pink isn''t so bad. It''s still returning more light than it''s leaking if it''s pink, although RED is the thing here. Think RED). The IdealScope can also help you determine how shallow or deep a given stone is, and those proportions affect reflectivity, too.

So, looking at your princess here, I think this is a nice stone, but I think you''ll find a better one for your dollar as more stock becomes available.

Meanwhile, for practice and reference, why not just look at a couple I or J color stones, just to get the feel of making determinations using the cut angles of the stone, your IdealScope and your ASET imagery? Just for practice and learning?

Date: 12/7/2008 7:37:15 PM
Author: Mrs W
GOG has the settings listed on their site....you just have to ask about the prices. Most from GOG are designer settings if you want that or not...

Yea, that is what I have noticed. I think I will give them a call tomorrow.

Like I mentioned earlier, I am all about little hassle that''s why WF is on top.

Date: 12/7/2008 7:39:05 PM
Author: Mediterranean
I think you can find a nice stone that will represent a great deal, and absolute beauty. It''s frustrating because princess cuts are subjective and the dueling grading systems can be contentious(not to scare you, just to offer some perspective on the search, but I gave up on my princess search...my fiance had to finish it alone, and he got so frustrated that we ended up with a larger more expensive stone that we wanted originally, but it was the prettiest one, even if it was roughly half a carat beyond our upper range). Since you can''t see the stones with your naked eye right now, here''s my small and very lay-person''s guide to looking at the light performance indicators (your ASET and IdealScope images).

Click on the ASET image. OK. The ASET shows you where the stone gathers light. the BLUE color on the ASET represents a light frequency that''ll be blocked by the eye. It can, however, add contrast (giving the stone a depth and complexity). RED is the best, the most intense concentration of light. Green is OK. Green represents a light that has the intensity of reflected light, as opposed to direct light. So, green is OK, RED is the BEST.

WHITE represents light leakage, which is bad. WHITE is particularly bad when it''s right next to BLUE (because blue is blocked by the observer, WHITE next to BLUE will appear as a lifeless, dead spot on the stone in real life).

So, let''s look at your IdealScope image for this stone:

The IdealScope image is showing you your stone''s light return, the light that gets reflected back at you by the stone. The more RED you see here, the BRIGHTER your stone is. Remember how I keep saying over and over until I annoy you
20.gif
that you can go down in color comfortably with a well cut stone? THIS is why: BRIGHTNESS. Bright stones flash more light back at you, and look whiter (higher in color) than stones that are NOT as well-cut. So, with the IdealScope image RED is BRIGHTNESS. The REDDER, the BRIGHTER, yes? OK. WHITE is light leakage. Light leakage can make diamonds look smaller (like in the case of rounds that leak too much light at the girdle or outer edge) or it can make them look less alive... neither outcome is good. And while all diamonds leak SOME light, you don''t want too much white (a pink area is better. Pink isn''t so bad. It''s still returning more light than it''s leaking if it''s pink, although RED is the thing here. Think RED). The IdealScope can also help you determine how shallow or deep a given stone is, and those proportions affect reflectivity, too.

So, looking at your princess here, I think this is a nice stone, but I think you''ll find a better one for your dollar as more stock becomes available.

Meanwhile, for practice and reference, why not just look at a couple I or J color stones, just to get the feel of making determinations using the cut angles of the stone, your IdealScope and your ASET imagery? Just for practice and learning?

Wow..thanks for this VERY informative post. So Red, red, and more red!

I think you are right about waiting for more inventory. I am starting to get frustrated like your finance, but I want to find a good stone.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. It is obvious that I am pretty green.

If WF is on top then I would not settle for anything less than an ACA. I just returned from a play and even when the lights were down, my ring was sparkling!!!!! Amazing - especially for a princess. :) So what I would suggest is that you call them. Ask for Lesley. She''s amazingly nice. See if she knows when something in your criteria will come in. You won''t be disappointed! The wait will be worth it. My whole experience with WF was painless. As a side note - the prices l not listed on GOG''s site for certain stones is one of a few reasons I went with WF. The whole "please call" thing doesn''t fly with me. Just list the price. :)

Date: 12/7/2008 7:48:44 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
If WF is on top then I would not settle for anything less than an ACA. I just returned from a play and even when the lights were down, my ring was sparkling!!!!! Amazing - especially for a princess. :) So what I would suggest is that you call them. Ask for Lesley. She''s amazingly nice. See if she knows when something in your criteria will come in. You won''t be disappointed! The wait will be worth it. My whole experience with WF was painless. As a side note - the prices l not listed on GOG''s site for certain stones is one of a few reasons I went with WF. The whole ''please call'' thing doesn''t fly with me. Just list the price. :)

Yes a ACA would be ideal, but they are a very low percentage of diamonds sold.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP