shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions! Can I accomplish this setting w. an MRB???

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
Re: Need opinions! Can I accomplish this setting w. an MRB??

Just to mix things up a bit.... there's always this - love it. But I've never seen it with an MRB (versus an antique stone)...

step3.jpg

stepcut2.jpg

stepdown.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

HAH! Found something that might help.

First picture. Not actual halfmoons but the bezel is, so it should be a big help to you.
Second picture is just awesomeness I had to share.

50d09c393620e32eeedd6afb5dc71fa2.jpg

f9dc1986e128c257f9c0d89f65c2634b.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

With a round brilliant. Looks nice.

art-deco-brilliant-cut-and-baguette-diamond-ring-3862d-frontx4-650-ba-5400_0_80.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

What I was looking for finally clicked for me.

The ring the below is inspired by was flat out gorgeous (you can read the drama here and why I can't post pictures of that ring, which I do have saved, somewhere, as many of us do) : [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/does-anyone-have-a-photo-of-surfgirls-single-stone-ring.168931/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/does-anyone-have-a-photo-of-surfgirls-single-stone-ring.168931/[/URL]

But the copy by Singlestone had different proportions and while lovely didn't have the same impact.

It's similar to what you want and has the halfmoon step cuts.

file.png

This one is why I say the half moons with the round center might be 'too much round' together.
file.jpg

If you are on any of the Facebook FB sites you can ask if any of the members have pictures of the 'ring that shall not be named' and if they will share them with you privately.

I just looked and couldn't find mine. Probably on a floppy disk somewhere it was so long ago!!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Hi!
Absolutely awesome thread with so many beautiful options!! :love:
I really like the art deco styles posted here, especially the ones with traps and bullets in bezel. Gorgeous! Really nice with half moons like Gypsy posted now too.
I am not very helpful in saying this, but are you absolutely sure about the mrb? Great stone! But your inspiration ring is a cushion. Makes me think maybe you really want a cushion... :think:
The mrb would be absolutely gorgeous as a solitaire too.
If you are sure, forget about my post!! :wavey:
It will be very interesting to see what you decide!

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

This thought has crossed my mind aca!!! And you may be right! But I do love the RB, and it's taken me so long to get this far that for my own sanity I can't go back now!

:bigsmile:

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Gypsy|1457077923|3999544 said:
This one is why I say the half moons with the round center might be 'too much round' together.
file.jpg

AMAZING inspiration photos Gypsy!!! Thank you so much!!! I like this one a lot, but I DO think I might like that exact design a little better with the traps! What do you think?

Victor suggested this ring from his website as inspiration - it's an oval sapphire with half moons and bullets (both brilliant cut interestingly).

sapp.jpg

All of these are pretty, but the issue I'm finding is that they don't highlight the center stone enough for my taste. Compare that AMAZING blue stone ring you posted above - the side stones are not center stage. The ring doesn't look like a 5 stone band of bling, it looks like a solitaire with side stones. I want the latter look. But perhaps I need, say, a 5 carat diamond to pull that off! Or else just really tiny side stones. Thoughts?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I prefer the look of traps. I get what you are saying about the side stones accenting the center. Have you reached out to Leon? He gets proportions.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

I've used Leon in the past and I would agree with that. Hoping to use VC this time around though.

To me, the proportions of this ring posted by Gypsy are dead on exactly what I want (in terms of side stone size to center stone size). Just with an RB in the middle.

proportions.jpg

In some ways, I think the step cut deco ring might be easier to pull off though. In the sense that there are less variables and a better chance I will end up with a finished product that I like.

I wonder which would be more costly. The 5 stone will be about $6K, which is already going to put me in trouble with the hubs ;(

step3.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can Victor make photo's of outlined stones for you (sorry, I might have missed a post about his answer)

Traps and french cuts:

_36578.jpg

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Acinom|1457125138|3999907 said:
Can Victor make photo's of outlined stones for you (sorry, I might have missed a post about his answer)

Hi! Meaning can he call in options and photograph them next to my center stone? Yes - he just said he can bring in some traps and half moons for me to compare. :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Perfect.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Would you all be nervous attempting this design without CAD? I'm starting to get cold feet.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes, I would be okay without a CAD. But I would need the pictures of the sidestones and trust my jeweler.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Veltiesmom|1457154716|4000064 said:
Would you all be nervous attempting this design without AD? I'm starting to get cold feet.

I just don't think these kinds of settings look good with round center stones. I mean, sure, you can do it. But will it be the best look? I don't think so. I think pear side stones compliment a MRB so much better. Do you like pears at all?

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Sadly, I don't love pears with RBs. Just a personal thing.

I may be in a small minority but I actually really like the round with traps! I think it's what Gypsy said about shape contrast.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Veltiesmom|1457121993|3999882 said:
In some ways, I think the step cut deco ring might be easier to pull off though. In the sense that there are less variables and a better chance I will end up with a finished product that I like.
I wonder which would be more costly. The 5 stone will be about $6K, which is already going to put me in trouble with the hubs ;(
I'd predict that using graduated, step-cut baguettes on both sides will be less expensive, but it's been almost 5 years since I priced various side stones.

Do shields hold any appeal for you?

Veltiesmom said:
Would you all be nervous attempting this design without CAD? I'm starting to get cold feet.
I find CADs too distracting & more anxiety producing than old fashioned pen & ink drawings and/or seeing the loose stones grouped as they would be in the jewelry piece. But I think I'm in the minority here on that ;))

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Gypsy|1457071159|3999516 said:
Yes, but the humongous center stone obstructs the sidestones from being angled out like they should have been so you can actually appreciate them. Plus, it's an ugly center stone (at least I think so). And I think that with the stone being rectangular and all the sidestones being rectangular it's all too rectangular together. If that center was a round, I think it would be lovely. Or if the traps were half moons. Or something. It could just be that I don't like the cushion so I want it gone and replaced with something else.

Hi Gypsy! Any chance you could link me to where you found this ring? [Edited: I tried to paste in the photo but it didn't work. Hopefully you know the one I mean!] I'd like to see if there are any more views. I agree with you about the center stone but in terms of the side stones it's a good inspiration piece for my project.

Thanks again for your help and input!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Perfect! Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results