shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie in New York - where to stay?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Hi

I need your help!

My uncle is visiting from South Africa and on his way back he would like to spend two days in New York. He has never been to New York. He asked me to make reservations for a hotel.

My problem is I have never been to New York! And I am getting totally lost in all the hotel offers on the internet.
8.gif

In which area do you stay if you are a tourist? Anybody has a recommendation for a reasonably priced hotel?

Thanks you

Maya

If you are a tourist, I would say midtown manhattan.

What''s your budget? I would also check out tripadvisor.com for hotel reviews from patrons...it''s a great site.

I would suggest midtown. It''s convenient to trains, Times Square, Grand Central Station, etc. There are tons in the Times Square area. I recently stayed in the Hudson Hotel, on 58th St and 8th Ave. It''s considered posh but I really don''t recommend this hotel. Pricey and the rooms were way too small, IMO. Cool lobby and bar though. There is a Hyatt on 42nd Street, right by Grand Central that I recommend. Very convenient and not smack in the middle of Times Sq, which can be a pain.

Good luck. I think hotels are going to run $250 plus a night.

the one time we actually stayed in NYC we got a room at Le Parker Meridian which we loved. it's a kind of trendy-ish boutique hotel and the rooms were spacious for NYC rooms (which are typically pretty small) and it was pretty centrally located. i can't recall where exactly but we could walk to 5th avenue and times square. and we got a deal on expedia or something so it was only like $200 a night.

i would check out expedia, if you are worried about quality then stick with a brand name you recognize for mental comfort...it may not be the most cool place around if it's something like a westin or a hyatt but at least you know usually it won't be a dive. also i use expedia's star ratings and their special rates often, they come up with some great stuff. good luck!

oh also, in le parker they have the #1 breakfast spot in NYC, norma's...the breakfast there is just divine!!! some unique items, all TASTY. we go to the parker in palm springs and the chef from normas came from NYC and is now cooking in palm springs. yum!

I agree on the Hudson. We stayed there...and although the lobby is quite lovely, they are some of the smallest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in! There is also a W hotel in NYC, isn''t there? I stayed at the W in Chicago and found it to be quite nice.

wow what a coincidence I am trying to find a deal on NY hotels right now too. The last time I was there (Nov o5) I stayed at the hampton inn. it was 2 blocks from madison square garden and it was close to the subway. 4 blocks from 5th ave. the prices were nice rooms were small but no one should stay in their room when they are in NYC. I think they were nice rooms and very reasonable for what you get. The beds were SUPER comfy and you fall asleep right away anyways. I think they were like 150-200 a night. Great hotel. FREE breakfast. heres a link. Call and they will give you a better deal.
emwink.gif

Here is the hotel i stayed at:

http://www.orbitz.com/App/ViewHotelSearchResults?retrieveParams=true&z=24e&r=54&z=250&r=56&lastPage=interstitial

In the touristy areas, pretty much all the hotels have tiny rooms for those just paying for the regular rooms. It''s Manhattan. They have no room. That''s why real estate is through the roof.

I stayed at the Paramount a few months back. It was fine. Trendy lobby and bar, elevators, etc. Room was kinda trendy, even tho not my taste. Doesn''t matter tho, it''s all about location. If you''re in NY, you don''t wanna be spending a lot of time in your room. The Paramount is in Times Square/Broadway area. Popular touristy location. I think it came out to about $200/nite which seems average.

Hi

Thanks to all for your recommendations!

Tripadvisor.com was a really good source of information. I also got some info from the bulletin board at www.lonelyplanet.com

My uncle could not believe the prices they ask for a 2 star hotel in Midtown! It is nearly two times as much for the two nights as it was for the airfare from Washington DC to Seattle, and then Seattle to NY!

He will be in NY for one day before his business trip starts and he wants to see what he can get then, before I reserve a hotel for him. I will give him your recommendations as well.

Thanks again
Maya

Check out the Marriott Marquis...a great hotel right on Broadway....

Have Fun!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP