shape
carat
color
clarity

OH MY GOSH!!! Old gemstones found at my parents house...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count me in on those anxiously awaiting. Found treasure, how fun! Take pics of the coins and stuff too!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ok here is the maybe/maybe not diamond. I honestly can't tell because of the cut.
20.gif
It could very well be crystal. I don't have a good profile shot yet but from the side it looks like an old miners cut, but it's round. It has a very small table, thin girdle, thick crown and measures 1ct. I did see some black specs in the stone. Another thing I'm not sure about is this weird thing it's set in. I have no idea what it is. I don't have a good photo yet to share but I'm working on it!!

dgfind1.jpg

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Again, bad fuzzy shot. I''ll get some good ones sometime later today.

dgfind2.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I can explain the setting. It''s a man''s cravat (or tie) pin. The point went through the fabric and then you just gave it a little twist to secure it.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks upgradable! Yeah, we were thinking something for a tie or hat or button cover...but why would you set a diamond in something like that? This is what leads me to believe it could be something else.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
The ring (it's sooooo old.) size 9 in 14k gold. I'll get better photos. And I got a snapshot of the year. It said Dec. 25 as well. I can't tell if it's ruby or garnet.

dgfind3.jpg

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
And then this little guy. It''s gorgeous! A dark photo...again, I''ll get more in better light. It''s in 10k white gold.

dgfind4.jpg

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
As I said, I''ll try to get better photos today and take more of everything else as well. I promise! Just hold tight because I''m about to head out so I wont get to do it until later sometime or tomorrow...

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
My grandmother had a big honkin'' red stone mounted in one of those settings. I took it to an antique jeweler and he explained what it was. He also showed me that the stone was a garnet doublet. A thin layer of garnet bonded to glass to make it large.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Ooooohl! The ring from 1881 is really pretty! They look kind of like garnets in the photo but they could be darker rubies? That stick pin is neat looking too. Agian in the photo it looks like a garnet to me but who knows. Could the diamond be an OEC? whats the culet like? And the setting? Great find. I can''t wait to see more pics.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the 1881 ring. I agree they look like garnets but who knows. I''d love to see more pics of the diamond. The stick pin is really cool.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 3:39:42 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
And then this little guy. It''s gorgeous! A dark photo...again, I''ll get more in better light. It''s in 10k white gold.
Oh beautiful; I love this one
30.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 4:13:40 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Love the 1881 ring. I agree they look like garnets but who knows. I''d love to see more pics of the diamond. The stick pin is really cool.

Yah, I think they look like garnets--such a lovely and interesting piece! It looks like it''s in great condition too. I love the stick pin too. Can''t wait for more pics--very fun!

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 3:36:17 PM
The ring (it''s sooooo old.) size 9 in 14k gold. I''ll get better photos. And I got a snapshot of the year. It said Dec. 25 as well. I can''t tell if it''s ruby or garnet.
Wow, ain''t that a beauty!
36.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I''m in love with the 1881 ring! So pretty! Thanks for sharing your photos.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I love those, that ring is stunning!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 3:33:30 PM
Thanks upgradable! Yeah, we were thinking something for a tie or hat or button cover...but why would you set a diamond in something like that? This is what leads me to believe it could be something else.

Ditto Upgradable on a gentleman''s cravat pin. It was pretty common for ''men of means'' from that era; I recently inherited one of the 5 diamonds that my great-great grandfather wore in the 1880s. (The 5 my GGGrandfather wore were on a cravat pin, two cufflinks, a ring, and a boutonniere pin; they''re even visible in a 125-year-old portrait for which he sat.)

Dreamgirl, I''m so intrigued by this thread; please keep those photos coming!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 3:36:17 PM
The ring (it''s sooooo old.) size 9 in 14k gold. I''ll get better photos. And I got a snapshot of the year. It said Dec. 25 as well. I can''t tell if it''s ruby or garnet.
A true beauty!The ring is deffinatly fashioned in the East Lake style so popular of the period with seed pearls and what looks like pyrope garnets to me(the orange brown undertone from the stones ) which were very popular in jewelry in 1880s.So cool that someone recieved this in their Christmas stocking!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 5:29:21 PM
Author: tlh
That is cool! When it is in your home... finders keepers!
36.gif

Is that true in this country? If the previous owners forgot something when they moved, it automatically belongs to the new owner?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Your question kind of doesn''t make sense. There''s no property title to jewelry (anywhere that I know of).

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s so cool. Can''t wait to see pics.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 3:39:42 PM
Oooh, love that one! So pretty!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! I'm so incredibly excited about these items. I took some more photos and plan to take even more because not all of them came out well. Here is a teaser until I'm able to upload more.

What do you all think??
31.gif

dgfind5.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very nice! That last one has a beautiful cut! Not sure it''s a diamond though. But I hope it is!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, very cool. I''m not sure it''s a diamond, either.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 5:38:19 AM
Author: Imdanny
Your question kind of doesn''t make sense. There''s no property title to jewelry (anywhere that I know of).

If you lose your ering in the movie theater and I found it, can I just keep it since I am not aware of any title associated with it?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Tough to tell from the pic. It does have an open culet though whatever it is. What do you see under your loup? Have you taken it out in the sun? I can''t wait to see more photos :)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 3:44:22 AM
Author: zhuzhu

Date: 3/13/2009 5:29:21 PM
Author: tlh
That is cool! When it is in your home... finders keepers!
36.gif

Is that true in this country? If the previous owners forgot something when they moved, it automatically belongs to the new owner?
There was a case about this. . .a family bought a home and the contractor broke through the wall and found $182K in bills from the 1930s and him and the owners fought over the money and eventually the estate of the family who originally owned the house got involved. Moral of that story, be careful who you tell about the diamond being found in the house! (but, tell us all if it's real)

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,,24625471-5013110,00.html

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Looks like it could be white topaz or zircon.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
What cool finds!!!! That''s just so exciting! It''ll be interesting to find out if that''s a real stone or not.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results