shape
carat
color
clarity

Older Fancy Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
I am not sure about this, but I thought that this was a good place to ask? Sorry if I am off the mark...

I recently bought a Pear (2.63 Carts, VS2, L 1.75 to 1 Ratio, v good symmetry,polish, and cut, some indenteds on the girlde which is bruted) that was cut in the 1940''s. When it was appraised, the GIA gemologist was telling me that new Fancys (Pears and marquise in particular) are cut differently now to minimize/remove the bow tie effect. This stone''s bow tie is very samll and doesn''t bother me at all. I love the rock.

He said he knew the it has never been recut or re-touched (the ring was from a client of 50+ years of the same jewler, 3rd generation family owned B&M.) She, the original owner, sold most of her stuff for charity; I was able to buy from the collection before it went to their estate case.

The original owner had the ring for 60 years and the same family jewler has always worked on it, cleaned, etc who sold it to me and appariased for me.

The major difference I see in the older pears that I can find that are 2 Cts plus (and that isn''t many) seems to be much larger tables (63% on mine) and thin bruted girdles, almost knife edged. Is this typical in older fancy cuts that we cut without computer plotting?

Thanks, there is SO much good stuff on here I hate to ask, but I can''t find much info on fancies and their cutting before about 1980.

I''d love to see a picture of the rock. Pears are my favorite shape other than the OECs and OMCs. Is it set or are your going to reset?

It sounds very nice, can we have a picture to get a better idea?

I will post some when I get home. But there are pics on the Rocky Talky page. It is toward the back from under the title "was lurking now have this to show." I will post pics from my home computer.

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP