carat
color
clarity

Opening Ceremonies......I'm Crying

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thank you for posting!!!! I had tears also.

I will be watching!!!!!!!!

cheer--Sharon

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
yeah, I'm crying cause it's cringe AF

except Snoop and Celine

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wondering what Ariana Grande, Snoop Dog, Beyonce and other rap people have to do with the Olympics. Just yuk.

But Celine nailed it!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was wondering what Ariana Grande, Snoop Dog, Beyonce and other rap people have to do with the Olympics. Just yuk.

But Celine nailed it!
A lot of stuff was yuk lets be honest here.

Snoop was there to smoke that thaaang :))))))) Did you see his face how he was looking at it?

Last edited:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was rather bonkers in places. I too did not understand why there were so many artists of a non French origin. In my experience, the French think that everything French is the best- they only buy French cars, wine, designer goods etc. Maybe they were just trying to have more of a world wide appeal, who knows?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of stuff was yuk lets be honest here.

Snoop was there to smoke that thaaang :))))))) Did you see his face how he was looking at it?

They could have gotten any former beloved Olympian to carry it instead.
What were they thinking?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was rather bonkers in places. I too did not understand why there were so many artists of a non French origin. In my experience, the French think that everything French is the best- they only buy French cars, wine, designer goods etc. Maybe they were just trying to have more of a world wide appeal, who knows?

It should've been more Frenchy and less rappy:lol-2:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I LOVED it. People are losing their sh*t over it which I find a bit puzzling and kind of hilarious- I mean it’s France! With all the theatrical quirkiness I just kept saying to my DH “haha that is so French”.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVED it. People are losing their sh*t over it which I find a bit puzzling and kind of hilarious- I mean it’s France! With all the theatrical quirkiness I just kept saying to my DH “haha that is so French”.

Aha! So the inclusion of Snoop Dog was maybe a French poke in the eye!
Haha!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Aha! So the inclusion of Snoop Dog was maybe a French poke in the eye!
Haha!

Not so much Snoop - his inclusion was probably bc of the notoriety he got with he and Kevin Hart’s hilarious commentary in 2021 (horses lol). But the drag queen runway show Dionysian Bacchanal stuff that everyone is pearl clutching over is what I’m thinking about.

It’s making Twitter entertaining tho!
IMG_2529.jpeg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not so much Snoop - his inclusion was probably bc of the notoriety he got with he and Kevin Hart’s hilarious commentary in 2021 (horses lol). But the drag queen runway show Dionysian Bacchanal stuff that everyone is pearl clutching over is what I’m thinking about.

It’s making Twitter entertaining tho!
IMG_2529.jpeg

You know what I saw most on SM? "OMG, I can't believe they would desecrate Christ like that! Never watching the Olympics" :shock::wall:

Fam, the unfortunate truth is that the opening ceremony just exposes the gaps in the American education system. https://www.britannica.com/topic/Bacchanalia

And y'all know that France is all about their wine and theatrics.

I personally didn't care about the celebs there. They are there they bring attention, they did their job. honestly though, meh.

Celine is not included in the meh.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It couldn't get more Satanic. I can't believe people can't see what right in front of their faces

Also people forgot what art is, blatant mockery is art now...:roll2:
Ordures!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was shocked and RuPauled!

8.gif

Seriously, I spent no more than a minute fast-forwarding through the 3-hour opening ceremony.
Fluffy hoopla just ain't my cup of tea.
Give me the content itself.

However, while I've never been sports fan of anyone, now Simone Biles is da bomb digidey bomb bomb! :mrgreen2::dance::clap::wavey::appl:

Last edited:

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love watching Simone Biles videos on Youtube!
However, at the video's default normal playback speed, her most impressive and difficult moves are just a blur.
To find out what the heck she just did I have to listen to the announcer say, " a triple thingamajig, double who zits, with a Y fratamazoid, and a reversal" blah blah blah.

Sure, that sounds impressive ... but still ... to understand I need to see it with my own eyes
I assume the judges must immediately review slomo playback on screens to come up with a score.

Of course, you can't do that watching a live performance, but later on YT I go to the bottom of the window and click on that round-gear SETTINGS icon.
I change from normal playback speed to the slowest, 0.25.
Though it slurs the audio I can see, comprehend, and really appreciate her astonishing achievements.

I'm also so happy she maned up (womaned up?) in Tokyo and has shone (shined) a light on the horribly oppressive toll that pro sports can take on one's mental health.
And this comeback ... to score in first place just minutes after a calf injury ... especially at the (gymnastics) ancient age of 27?
OMG!!!!

Massive kudos to Biles!

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone wanting the entire schedule

admittedly I'm not terribly excited about watching gymnastics (we will watch because my husband loves it)

I'm really looking forward to track and field (August 1) I always follow T&F though. It was amazingly hard for many to make the team this year. What would normally had gotten you qualified and even on the podium in previous Olympics, didn't make the cut in the US trials.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It couldn't get more Satanic. I can't believe people can't see what right in front of their faces

Satanic is when priests abuse children and their behavior is covered up; satanic is when a certain sect in the south covers up over 500 cases of religious leaders abusing children; satanic is hate, racism, phobias against minorities and the LGBTQ+ communities in the name of a god/religious texts.

I could go on but religion and politics are prohibited topics here.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't watch the opening ceremony but because of discussion here I found Celine's performance on youtube. It was emotionally moving to see her perform again. I hope she can continue to do so.

I stopped watching the Olympics when they allowed professional sports athletes to participate.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Satanic is when priests abuse children and their behavior is covered up; satanic is when a certain sect in the south covers up over 500 cases of religious leaders abusing children; satanic is hate, racism, phobias against minorities and the LGBTQ+ communities in the name of a god/religious texts.

I could go on but religion and politics are prohibited topics here.

Certain people with certain proclivities infiltrated the church, "it's a bug not a feature".

Whatever arguments you are trying to bring to defend that wokery, it's not gonna work, people are fed up with it.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

@Mreader My huge guffaw of laughter was due to saying, "haha that is so French". My DH spent time in France, and around Euro French (as well as Canadian French), and there are some hilarious differences/perspectives.

I missed the whole Olympic opening, and will likely miss most of the competition. It takes too much time to watch, so if anything, I'll catch some clips of finals.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... It takes too much time to watch, ...

The ratio of advertising to actual content is horrible! :knockout:

But, come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I watched anything on TV with good old commercial breaks.
I've become a film streaming kinda guy.

Last edited:

ShinyPink

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's France. They are artsy, and can do whatever the hell they want. We certainly don't need to be telling them what to do with their ceremony!

The athletes are amazing! Oh my word, I could watch swimming and gymnastics all day! We been watching all sorts of events since NBC has them on all day - fencing, rugby, archery, canoeing, etc. They are sports we never watch, so it's been fun! There's so much talent and skill out there in the world for us to appreciate and enjoy!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's France. They are artsy, and can do whatever the hell they want. We certainly don't need to be telling them what to do with their ceremony!

The athletes are amazing! Oh my word, I could watch swimming and gymnastics all day! We been watching all sorts of events since NBC has them on all day - fencing, rugby, archery, canoeing, etc. They are sports we never watch, so it's been fun! There's so much talent and skill out there in the world for us to appreciate and enjoy!

No, it doesn't work like that. No religion or politics are allowed (in in their own rules, look it up) yet they mocked The Last Supper and now deny it. Some of the art directors even said they took inspiration from Da Vinci's Last Supper and also the whole thing they did was called ‘La Cène sur la scène sur la Seine’ - which for those who don't speak French, translates as 'The Last Supper on the stage on the River Seine'. Then after the huge backlash they started denying it and took down all the videos.
It is blatant mockery of the faith of billions of people, faith that built the west civilization including that of France, and it's not ok. It's not THIER ceremony, it's the freakin' Olympics, they are just hosts this time.
Wanna keep religion out, good, keep it out 'cause people can see through the BS.
A brazilian athlete had the image of a statue of Christ the Redeemer (symbol of Rio de Janeiro) on his surfboard and he was made to remove it or he was gonna be kicked out of the competition, why the double standards?

They effed up, just apologise, for real this time.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Olympic PSA, sort of ...

Netflix just released a 2-episode Docuseries on Biles.
I'm gonna binge-watch it before today's highly-anticipated Women's Gymnastics Olympic finals.

If DH wasn't already subscribed to Netflix I'd join now just for this.
Netflix probably has a free trial period, so you could watch this, then cancel.

Biles Netflix.jpg

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's expensive to host the Olympics and with the mounting environmental challenges that have plagued the games since Beijing in 2008, I've been thinking that we may be getting close to the end of this tradition or it may have to change drastically in order to continue. The media has reported athletes' displeasure with the housing arrangements (uncomfortable cardboard beds) and the food both of which some speculate are affecting their performance.

@Gloria27, the artistic portion of the games are not subject to the rules that govern the actual games.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results