shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on GIA 7 carat Oval

Tay0220

Rough_Rock
I am new here and hoping to get some honest opinions. I am strongly considering this 7 carat oval that is set with two pears (I think .5 tw?) The person selling it is a private jeweler who used to work retail but now is wholesale with this business on the side. It is priced at $189k firm. I have never spent this much for a stone so am hoping I can get some feedback from experts :)
  • SI2: The black specs are quickly identified with the loupe but I did not observe them with my eyes. I took it out in bright sun and also did not see them. My concern is that once daily wear comes into play (lotion etc.) that I will notice them.
  • Strong fluorescence: It did not appear milky or hazy in the bright sun to me. She said that this helps it appear whiter, but its already an F so wasnt sure on that. Online seems really split on whether or not this matters. I was told by a diamond seller friend that the cost should be less than it is due to this fluorescence and that most sellers wouldnt even buy a stone with strong fluorescence. Is that true? Do sellers/retailers shy away from these?
  • Pricing: I looked at the rap sheet which of course didn't mean a lot to me. But going off that, it said $164k for these specs. I noticed that the rap sheet said good ratio ovals will have a premium.
  • Cut: she said the cut is better than most that she sees. We compared with an oval that was one clarity grade better and priced $70k higher and I preferred this one.
  • My opinion: I of course love it lol. Whatever ratio this is works really well on my fingers I am just not sure on these specs. I am trying not to get caught up in the specs and go with "what looks good to me" but this is a ton of money for me to spend so wanted to get some other views.
Would you say this is a good or appropriate price given the fluorescence/specs? Or is this a no? I am afraid if I pass up on this that I won't find something like it

Tried to do a you tube video link of the ring in light box. Hope it works.
E6DA4BF1-17E6-4BD9-8614-1717AC507255.jpeg967685DC-225A-46AE-9AE0-5AE502F713F9.jpegF1A4442C-B26E-45DC-8F6C-883D25DB33B5.jpegagain.

A huge thank you for your time!

I haven’t looked up any comps yet, but I wouldn’t personally pay that much for an SI2 stone.

Also, while I love fluoro generally, strong blue fluoro can cause diamonds to look milky in direct sunlight. In general, modern cut stones with fluoro are currently discounted.

I haven’t looked up any comps yet, but I wouldn’t personally pay that much for an SI2 stone.

Also, while I love fluoro generally, strong blue fluoro can cause diamonds to look milky in direct sunlight. In general, modern cut stones with fluoro are currently discounted.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I had searched for diamonds online with similar specs but none had strong blue which got me wondering why I couldn't find any and questioning if it was discounted enough.

This will sound so basic but why is SI2 bad if your eye can't see it? Or as it gets dirty, does it become more apparent?

Okay, just looked up the cert at StoneAlgo just to give you a point of comparison...

Their projected fair market price for this stone is $134k.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I had searched for diamonds online with similar specs but none had strong blue which got me wondering why I couldn't find any and questioning if it was discounted enough.

This will sound so basic but why is SI2 bad if your eye can't see it? Or as it gets dirty, does it become more apparent?

I think SI2 can be fine for lower price points. But for a stone in excessive of $100k and of a large carat size, SI1 is the cut off for me.

I would rather buy this stone for less money-though I would want it recerted by GIA first :

or this one:

ETA: Good luck and let us know how you make out! Feel free to post stones that you want evaluated here!

Last edited:
1728823495400.png

There should be a discount to the Rap price...
Example this 8 ct H Si1 STG Rap $25k x8= $200k~ Retail $148k or 25% off Rap .... Strong Fl should discount a little bit % more .... For the Better Cut add some $ back...
But using 25 % off Rap = retail price.... $164k - $41k = $123k
1728822851222.png

HI:

The SBF would be an absolute deal breaker for me (not a fan of Fluor period). Also the price seems OTT for an SI2.

cheers--Sharon

Last edited:
Here's smaller one with a good Strong Fl discount.....
nice feature of Fluorescence is they can't be counterfeited / swapped with a lab.... If I was buying a large clean colorless these days for $$ i'd want to be able easily confirm it's real...

1728850458257.png

Okay, just looked up the cert at StoneAlgo just to give you a point of comparison...

Their projected fair market price for this stone is $134k.

omg this is SO helpful! I actually feel kind of bummed - I did like this ring so wish it was coming in at the $134k. That being said I am glad everyone here has given me the real deal so I dont end up overpaying for something.

I think SI2 can be fine for lower price points. But for a stone in excessive of $100k and of a large carat size, SI1 is the cut off for me.

I would rather buy this stone for less money-though I would want it recerted by GIA first :

or this one:

ETA: Good luck and let us know how you make out! Feel free to post stones that you want evaluated here!

Thank you again :)

So for example - these two stones - how do people buy like this without seeing them in person? Does someone at the company help them or do you just "know" from the specs on here?

I would not pay that much for a SI2 diamond of any kind. Strong blue doesn't help the price either - this would be a mistake IMO.

Thank you for the response. So glad I asked! As a consumer you just don't know.

Thank you again :)

So for example - these two stones - how do people buy like this without seeing them in person? Does someone at the company help them or do you just "know" from the specs on here?

I don't know this particular company but a reputable company will let you take the stone on some kind of approval and return if you aren't happy. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a stone from a company that wouldn't.

1728823495400.png

There should be a discount to the Rap price...
Example this 8 ct H Si1 STG Rap $25k x8= $200k~ Retail $148k or 25% off Rap .... Strong Fl should discount a little bit % more .... For the Better Cut add some $ back...
But using 25 % off Rap = retail price.... $164k - $41k = $123k
1728822851222.png

OMG this is incredibly helpful! Ya know, I felt like it was priced that high because it was "special" and the cut was one in a million (she said that)....but for the price it sounds like there are plenty of other stones out there.

I don't know this particular company but a reputable company will let you take the stone on some kind of approval and return if you aren't happy. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a stone from a company that wouldn't.

Good point. I am grateful for the help on here. thank you!

HI:

The SBF would be an absolute deal breaker for me (not a fan of Fluor period). Also the price seems OTT for an SI2.

cheers--Sharon

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Here's smaller one with a good Strong Fl discount.....
nice feature of Fluorescence is they can't be counterfeited / swapped with a lab.... If I was buying a large clean colorless these days for $$ i'd want to be able easily confirm it's real...

1728850458257.png

Although smaller, this is a much better clarity than SI2 and it is 60k less than the 7 I was looking at. I feel the one I Liked should be a bigger discount than 189k. this has been so incredibly helpful. thank you!

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

You have a stunning budget and I think would be forever upset if you learned you paid over premium. Take your time in choosing. And you'll find PS'ers are a helpful and patient bunch.

You have a stunning budget and I think would be forever upset if you learned you paid over premium. Take your time in choosing. And you'll find PS'ers are a helpful and patient bunch.

You are spot on! I was panicking honestly because she said this was "one in a million" so I was worried I'd pass it up and only had until beginning of this week to decide.

I have to imagine she wont sell it easily at that price.

You are spot on! I was panicking honestly because she said this was "one in a million" so I was worried I'd pass it up and only had until beginning of this week to decide.

I have to imagine she wont sell it easily at that price.

That's a classic BS sales tactic. "There's only one like this! And you only have a few days!". Hard pass.

I don’t enough about ovals to comment, I just wanted to say I’m so happy you came here to ask before you bought. It’s a huge purchase and anyone pressuring you is looking out for THEIR best interest and not yours.

Someone who truly cares about their product wants you to be 10, 20, 50 years from now would never rush you. Pressuring someone into a purchase, especially a large one like this, doesn’t go hand in hand with good business.

There’s are lots of diamonds out there, and some wonderful vendors and you found a great forum with some knowledge people who are passionate about diamonds and love to help others find their treasure(s). So spend some time here, ask questions … our only request is when you find your diamond, you reward us with lots of pics and videos so we can all drool :kiss2: :lol-2:

I don’t enough about ovals to comment, I just wanted to say I’m so happy you came here to ask before you bought. It’s a huge purchase and anyone pressuring you is looking out for THEIR best interest and not yours.

Someone who truly cares about their product wants you to be 10, 20, 50 years from now would never rush you. Pressuring someone into a purchase, especially a large one like this, doesn’t go hand in hand with good business.

There’s are lots of diamonds out there, and some wonderful vendors and you found a great forum with some knowledge people who are passionate about diamonds and love to help others find their treasure(s). So spend some time here, ask questions … our only request is when you find your diamond, you reward us with lots of pics and videos so we can all drool :kiss2: :lol-2:

OMG I WILL!!!!! I am so happy that someone on reddit directed me over here. I can tell how helpful and kind this community is. And everyone seems to really be knowledgeable which thank goodness or I would have probably panic bought this stone. Between the cut being "one in a million" and the ratio being "perfect for me".....I had total FOMO/panic buying on the brain.

That's a classic BS sales tactic. "There's only one like this! And you only have a few days!". Hard pass.

Thanks for this. I was seriously panicked. I guess I was a bit naïve to think those sales techniques wouldnt be used;)

Everyone has already given you a bunch of great advice so I thought I’d jump in and say that at those sizes, even large size differences aren’t THAT visible to the eye, and also spread matters more than carat weight.

I compared this stone to the 6.19 F and the 8.01 H that were both posted above just for you to see what a carat up or down would look like:

IMG_7241.jpegIMG_7240.jpeg

There IS a difference, of course, but I would bet that you won’t notice it overmuch on a daily basis once set. I definitely wouldn’t pay such a huge upcharge for a SBF SI2 stone, even one that’s beautifully cut.

What are your colour tolerances? For eg could you handle an H colour in this size, or would you prefer to cap it at F-G? I feel like a bit of flexibility on specs when you want something big and in a fancy shape is usually necessary. Have you seen a large GIA H in person before?

And honestly, if you do go out and search and find after a couple months that your heart belongs to the oval your jeweller showed, I bet you’ll find it still available. There aren’t that many buyers for 7ct ovals out there!

OMG I WILL!!!!! I am so happy that someone on reddit directed me over here. I can tell how helpful and kind this community is. And everyone seems to really be knowledgeable which thank goodness or I would have probably panic bought this stone. Between the cut being "one in a million" and the ratio being "perfect for me".....I had total FOMO/panic buying on the brain.

I'm the one who pointed you here, I knew you would get good advice! I can't wait to see what you end up with! :)

Everyone has already given you a bunch of great advice so I thought I’d jump in and say that at those sizes, even large size differences aren’t THAT visible to the eye, and also spread matters more than carat weight.

I compared this stone to the 6.19 F and the 8.01 H that were both posted above just for you to see what a carat up or down would look like:

IMG_7241.jpegIMG_7240.jpeg

There IS a difference, of course, but I would bet that you won’t notice it overmuch on a daily basis once set. I definitely wouldn’t pay such a huge upcharge for a SBF SI2 stone, even one that’s beautifully cut.

What are your colour tolerances? For eg could you handle an H colour in this size, or would you prefer to cap it at F-G? I feel like a bit of flexibility on specs when you want something big and in a fancy shape is usually necessary. Have you seen a large GIA H in person before?

And honestly, if you do go out and search and find after a couple months that your heart belongs to the oval your jeweller showed, I bet you’ll find it still available. There aren’t that many buyers for 7ct ovals out there!

Omg I just noticed when I screenshotted the 6 vs 7 comparison I somehow set the ring size to 11.75!!

Here’s the comparison for size 6.5 instead. I also reposted the comparison for 8 vs 7.

IMG_7243.jpegIMG_7241.jpeg

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP