shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on GIA 7 carat Oval

I'm the one who pointed you here, I knew you would get good advice! I can't wait to see what you end up with! :)

Awwwwww I didnt put that together! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Everyone has already given you a bunch of great advice so I thought I’d jump in and say that at those sizes, even large size differences aren’t THAT visible to the eye, and also spread matters more than carat weight.

I compared this stone to the 6.19 F and the 8.01 H that were both posted above just for you to see what a carat up or down would look like:

IMG_7241.jpegIMG_7240.jpeg

There IS a difference, of course, but I would bet that you won’t notice it overmuch on a daily basis once set. I definitely wouldn’t pay such a huge upcharge for a SBF SI2 stone, even one that’s beautifully cut.

What are your colour tolerances? For eg could you handle an H colour in this size, or would you prefer to cap it at F-G? I feel like a bit of flexibility on specs when you want something big and in a fancy shape is usually necessary. Have you seen a large GIA H in person before?

And honestly, if you do go out and search and find after a couple months that your heart belongs to the oval your jeweller showed, I bet you’ll find it still available. There aren’t that many buyers for 7ct ovals out there!

I cannot believe you took the time to do this for me :kiss2: Thank you so much!!!
You are absolutely right - the differences aren't overly noticeable once on your finger. It does seem that the ratio (is that kind of like spread?) makes it look bigger or not on a finger. I have small fingers (4.5) so that will help the pics above too;)

OK. Color. I have never seen an H on a large stone in person. This is where I wanted someone like the current salesperson to help me out. Would you cap the color at F-G or would you be open to H?

I cannot believe you took the time to do this for me :kiss2: Thank you so much!!!
You are absolutely right - the differences aren't overly noticeable once on your finger. It does seem that the ratio (is that kind of like spread?) makes it look bigger or not on a finger. I have small fingers (4.5) so that will help the pics above too;)

OK. Color. I have never seen an H on a large stone in person. This is where I wanted someone like the current salesperson to help me out. Would you cap the color at F-G or would you be open to H?

Unfortunately it's a very individual choice. Have you seen GIA H color before? I personally like warm stones, but not everyone does. I think seeing stuff in person is incredibly important, even if you're only looking at local stores for color (not size)

Personally I am reasonably colour tolerant even in the bigger sizes, I’ve seen an 8ct I and a 10ct H (both fancies) in real life and thought it looked totally acceptably white. The largest stone I saw was either H or I, 14ct emerald cut, to me it looked WHITE. I feel like I is my cutoff for large stones though, J+ I can usually see colour.

Some people are more colour sensitive and can’t handle anything below F for larger sizes.

There is no substitute to seeing stones with your own eyes imo, and you’ll have to see larger (like 5ct+ sizes) to calibrate your eyes better. A 1ct H will look whiter than a 10ct H. But you’re not limited to buying online.

You can also engage a concierge service to evaluate and pick out diamonds for you if you want. Or if you have a good jeweller you can hire them to do that for you. I wouldn’t ask this jeweller friend to do that though. Or purchase online from a reputable vendor (ask for pics and vids to your heart’s content).

Spread isn’t the same as ratio, but kind of related in that you want a stone that falls in the depth sweet spot (not so deep that it makes it look smaller than the average; but not so shallow that it looks leaky and badly cut despite seeming bigger than the average). But because they can be bigger or smaller along 3 dimensions compared to another, you can have a 6ct that spreads more like 6.5 or 7ct (because it’s not as deep and the length and breadth dimensions trick the eye into thinking the stone is covering more surface area).

Honestly for a purchase this large and important, id be reaching out to distinctive Gem (@Rhino on here) or diamonds by Lauren (@Rockdiamond ). Both are very experienced with fancy shapes and can hopefully find you nice options

Grace at Jewels by grace also has access to giant diamonds and has an excellent reputation. Alex Parks also sells large diamonds and has a good reputation though less customer service that you might prefer.

What you need is a trusted and ethical vendor to help you search. They will be able to call diamonds in and evaluate them for you and only let you see the ones that have passed muster. You could then choose with your eyes. And you can post here for us to help you determine market value.

Unfortunately it's a very individual choice. Have you seen GIA H color before? I personally like warm stones, but not everyone does. I think seeing stuff in person is incredibly important, even if you're only looking at local stores for color (not size)

No I have not. I should head over to the nice jeweler near me and look at some. I always feel like they will be annoyed that I am taking their time. I create my own anxiety lol

Personally I am reasonably colour tolerant even in the bigger sizes, I’ve seen an 8ct I and a 10ct H (both fancies) in real life and thought it looked totally acceptably white. The largest stone I saw was either H or I, 14ct emerald cut, to me it looked WHITE. I feel like I is my cutoff for large stones though, J+ I can usually see colour.

Some people are more colour sensitive and can’t handle anything below F for larger sizes.

There is no substitute to seeing stones with your own eyes imo, and you’ll have to see larger (like 5ct+ sizes) to calibrate your eyes better. A 1ct H will look whiter than a 10ct H. But you’re not limited to buying online.

You can also engage a concierge service to evaluate and pick out diamonds for you if you want. Or if you have a good jeweller you can hire them to do that for you. I wouldn’t ask this jeweller friend to do that though. Or purchase online from a reputable vendor (ask for pics and vids to your heart’s content).

Spread isn’t the same as ratio, but kind of related in that you want a stone that falls in the depth sweet spot (not so deep that it makes it look smaller than the average; but not so shallow that it looks leaky and badly cut despite seeming bigger than the average). But because they can be bigger or smaller along 3 dimensions compared to another, you can have a 6ct that spreads more like 6.5 or 7ct (because it’s not as deep and the length and breadth dimensions trick the eye into thinking the stone is covering more surface area).

Color: It sounds like I need to view some of these in person. I am going to bop into my local jeweler and have them show me some different stones. To be honest, I am not entirely sure if I am color sensitive or not. My current stone is an I and next to the F with the strong blue fluorescence, it looked dark to me. But prior to that I liked it lol.

Help buying: You are absolutely right here. I have to find someone who I can trust to help me. Honestly once I know my color range, if I can find a trustworthy person who can help with the cut and the spread like you explained above (because that is over my head)...I would be a-ok doing virtual.

This got me thinking......I have to tell my jeweler friend "no" today. Do I say why I'm saying no? I don't know what to say. I did like the way that ring sat on my finger too (not too high) so how could I find out how high that was? Or perhaps that's just the setting that dictates how low it is.

THANK YOU!

Honestly for a purchase this large and important, id be reaching out to distinctive Gem (@Rhino on here) or diamonds by Lauren (@Rockdiamond ). Both are very experienced with fancy shapes and can hopefully find you nice options

Oh ok so I can just message them on here? I will do that. Thank you for the referral :)

Grace at Jewels by grace also has access to giant diamonds and has an excellent reputation. Alex Parks also sells large diamonds and has a good reputation though less customer service that you might prefer.

What you need is a trusted and ethical vendor to help you search. They will be able to call diamonds in and evaluate them for you and only let you see the ones that have passed muster. You could then choose with your eyes. And you can post here for us to help you determine market value.

Yes times a thousand! You are totally right. I thought that is what I had but it turns out I dont think I did. As long as it's white and sparkles...i am a-ok. The next thing for me would be how wide it is (my fingers are 4.5) so I noticed the wider ones weren't as good for me. That being said, I should try some more on.

And thank you for the referrals! I plan to reach out;)

Oh ok so I can just message them on here? I will do that. Thank you for the referral :)

No, you need to email them offline. We don't have DM on pricescope

No I have not. I should head over to the nice jeweler near me and look at some. I always feel like they will be annoyed that I am taking their time. I create my own anxiety lol

I don't have anything to add but I just wanted to say that don't feel like you're wasting their time. If they make you feel like that then you can take your business elsewhere. There's lots of reasons why you choose one vendor over another and you can always tell your "friend" you want to keep looking =)2.

I don't have anything to add but I just wanted to say that don't feel like you're wasting their time. If they make you feel like that then you can take your business elsewhere. There's lots of reasons why you choose one vendor over another and you can always tell your "friend" you want to keep looking =)2.

Good idea - I will say for such a big purchase, I need to do some research and look around. :)

This got me thinking......I have to tell my jeweler friend "no" today. Do I say why I'm saying no? I don't know what to say. I did like the way that ring sat on my finger too (not too high) so how could I find out how high that was? Or perhaps that's just the setting that dictates how low it is.

THANK YOU!

I'd be honest - say you liked it but the $189k "Firm" price is too high.....

The jeweler knows the 189k price is too much mark-up for a SI2 w/ Strong FL....also the 1.57 ratio is a bit larger than most ovals (even though you prefered it)

BTW: Originaly it was priced @ 159k (still overpriced) then increased to 200k ??? and then retail listing was removed end of August...

1729013205287.png

HI All,
I didn't have a chance to read every response...but I saw people pointing out important factors.
The grade of F/SI2, with Strong fluorescence, is the very definition of a "dog".
Dealers will decimate a stone like that if someone is trying to sell it.
Any dealer finding a buyer for that stone will have a massive party.........
Look- I just have to say this- Lab diamonds have caused a massive drop in the prices of natural stones- and a stone with this grade would have been undesirable even 5 years ago......
I did notice a "friend" was suggesting this stone- they clearly have little knowledge of the diamond market....or have other ulterior motives.

HI:

I don't see a great need to "explain" your rationale to the dealer. I might simply say, "I've just begun my search, thanks.".

Icerock Diamonds sells large stones as well. A few people here have used him.

cheers--Sharon

Color: It sounds like I need to view some of these in person. I am going to bop into my local jeweler and have them show me some different stones. To be honest, I am not entirely sure if I am color sensitive or not. My current stone is an I and next to the F with the strong blue fluorescence, it looked dark to me. But prior to that I liked it lol.

Help buying: You are absolutely right here. I have to find someone who I can trust to help me. Honestly once I know my color range, if I can find a trustworthy person who can help with the cut and the spread like you explained above (because that is over my head)...I would be a-ok doing virtual.

THANK YOU!

“Thanks so much for your help. I’ve started to do some research and I am not comfortable with a SI2 stone of this size.”

Or insert “strong blue fluorescence.”

“Thanks so much for your help. I’ve started to do some research and I am not comfortable with a SI2 stone of this size.”

Or insert “strong blue fluorescence.”

Thank you for the suggestion!!

HI:

I don't see a great need to "explain" your rationale to the dealer. I might simply say, "I've just begun my search, thanks.".

Icerock Diamonds sells large stones as well. A few people here have used him.

cheers--Sharon

THank you for the suggestion on Icerock Diamonds;) And I like the idea of saying I have just begun and am still researching. Good idea.

HI All,
I didn't have a chance to read every response...but I saw people pointing out important factors.
The grade of F/SI2, with Strong fluorescence, is the very definition of a "dog".
Dealers will decimate a stone like that if someone is trying to sell it.
Any dealer finding a buyer for that stone will have a massive party.........
Look- I just have to say this- Lab diamonds have caused a massive drop in the prices of natural stones- and a stone with this grade would have been undesirable even 5 years ago......
I did notice a "friend" was suggesting this stone- they clearly have little knowledge of the diamond market....or have other ulterior motives.

This response put to bed ANY worry that I was passing something up that I'd regret later (and it was already low) . THANK YOU! Hearing this makes me feel glad I am not buying it and also (as naive as this sounds) kind of surprised that she offered me something that everybody in the industry appears to know is not a good stone and furthermore at a ridiculous price. She has been doing this for 15 years and is 3rd generation in the industry so I feel like it was not a good motive. Live and learn. I am just so incredibly grateful to this community.

I look forward to working with someone who can actually help me and that I can trust.

Again - a massive thank you for taking the time to help me.

I'd be honest - say you liked it but the $189k "Firm" price is too high.....

The jeweler knows the 189k price is too much mark-up for a SI2 w/ Strong FL....also the 1.57 ratio is a bit larger than most ovals (even though you prefered it)

BTW: Originaly it was priced @ 159k (still overpriced) then increased to 200k ??? and then retail listing was removed end of August...

1729013205287.png

You made a good point that she knows its a crazy price. She has done this for years and years and so has her family so I think she was hoping to get someone to bite.

So that exact stone was 159k? I didn't know you could see that - thank you for sharing that. Again, makes me feel very confident in my decision (thanks to everyone here) :)

I think this has all been a bit of an upheaval since I first messaged you on Reddit! I suggest that you take some time, watch some YouTube videos of diamonds, look at some colors and shapes in person with no emotional obligation to buy (I think Tiffany carries down to I color so is an option too if you feel less bad about window shopping at a big store than a small one), and reevaluate in a few days/weeks/months. I know you'll find something beautiful and with a fair price in the end!

Yeeessssssss!!! Best advice and I’m taking it. The truth of the matter is we were planning on doing this in the spring, so this was before our timeline which already felt rushed but since this was just “the diamond of a lifetime “ (Eyeroll) I was on it. Haha.

Love the Tiffany idea. I am going to do that.
:)

Again - a massive thank you for taking the time to help me.

My pleasure!!
Lately, I've been spending a lot of time discussing the implications of lab diamonds on the market with many potential clients.
There's a group of sellers who believe that by trashing the alternative- be it lab or natural- these sellers believe they will gain clients.
Personally, I hate that sort of technique. It's like peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining.
It's a personal choice, and I like to assist in giving unbiased info towards the goal of helping people to get what they want.
BUT- what you experienced with someone "pushing" something........that's just bad news.
I understand why a seller would do that- but I disagree wholeheartedly with that way of selling.

Thank
My pleasure!!
Lately, I've been spending a lot of time discussing the implications of lab diamonds on the market with many potential clients.
There's a group of sellers who believe that by trashing the alternative- be it lab or natural- these sellers believe they will gain clients.
Personally, I hate that sort of technique. It's like peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining.
It's a personal choice, and I like to assist in giving unbiased info towards the goal of helping people to get what they want.
BUT- what you experienced with someone "pushing" something........that's just bad news.
I understand why a seller would do that- but I disagree wholeheartedly with that way of selling.

this is all so overwhelming for someone who isn’t in the business. I’m learning a lot already just by being on this forum.

How do people reach you off this site?

Thank you!!

Thank

this is all so overwhelming for someone who isn’t in the business. I’m learning a lot already just by being on this forum.

How do people reach you off this site?

Thank you!!

He's Diamonds by Lauren in NYC, you can find him here: https://diamondsbylauren.com/

Tiffany seems like a great place to view large diamonds in various colors.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP