shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this - good value or can I do better?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vadar

Rough_Rock
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1180876.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

What do you think - it''s SI1 but it looks like the only inclusions are on the edge. Is that a good price? I was trying to stay closer to 15k, but definitely want at least 2 carats, and as close to ideal cut as possible. Not too concerned with color since I saw some stones in person and couldn''t tell the difference from an G to I. I''d really appreciate it if I can get some input, maybe even some specific suggestions of alternatives you can find.... thanks!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is an old style ags ideal it would likely get ags1 in the 3D system.
use the pricescope search engine to check the price.
It has an extra facet which isn't that big of deal.
Face up optical symmetry is excellent.
So it is a step down from the best and would come down to how the IS looks and how the price compares.
If your interested request an IS image and put it on hold.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
This looks like an old AGS DQD, probably the cut grade is from the old geometry system instead of performance base grading, so the AGS0 should not be accorded in as high a status as current system.

I prefer this, current DQD AGS0, 2.10 Carat H-SI1 at $18540.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The inclusions look like they would fit nicely under prongs.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2008 5:36:57 PM
Author: strmrdr
It is an old style ags ideal it would likely get ags1 in the 3D system.
use the pricescope search engine to check the price.
It has an extra facet which isn''t that big of deal.
Face up optical symmetry is excellent.
So it is a step down from the best and would come down to how the IS looks and how the price compares.
If your interested request an IS image and put it on hold.
Ditto!

vadar

Rough_Rock
wow thanks for all the input.

Can someone explain the "Old" vs "New" AGS DQD? Or point me in the direction of a FAQ that explains this? So much to learn... it''s overwhelming at times.
33.gif

vadar

Rough_Rock
Thanks again!

So this revelation raises a new question/issue. It seems that the diamonds online with certs available for viewing are few and far between. Now I also need to weed out those with the old AGS certs/methodology, or at least be more particular in evaluating them... Is there a way I should go about finding potential stones? There are tons that come up in the pricescope search, but without an image of the inclusions, it''s hard to tell one SI1 from another. I mean, I would much rather have one like the first stone I posted - with the only inclusions on the perimeter, than one with a bunch of inclusions smack dab in the center... but both are SI1, and without seeing the cert it''s impossible to know the difference. I know I can request the cert, but when I search there are tons of results. Any input? This whole process is new to me, and this is a lot of money so I want to get the best diamond possible.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 2:11:00 PM
Author: vadar
Thanks again!

So this revelation raises a new question/issue. It seems that the diamonds online with certs available for viewing are few and far between. Now I also need to weed out those with the old AGS certs/methodology, or at least be more particular in evaluating them... Is there a way I should go about finding potential stones? There are tons that come up in the pricescope search, but without an image of the inclusions, it''s hard to tell one SI1 from another. I mean, I would much rather have one like the first stone I posted - with the only inclusions on the perimeter, than one with a bunch of inclusions smack dab in the center... but both are SI1, and without seeing the cert it''s impossible to know the difference. I know I can request the cert, but when I search there are tons of results. Any input? This whole process is new to me, and this is a lot of money so I want to get the best diamond possible.

In general Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, and James Allen almost always have certs posted and pictures too. I would start with them personally to make it easier on yourself. And please don''t disregard SI1''s with seemingly "dirty" plots in the center. Sometimes these stones are perfectly eyeclean and are a good choice. Best to ask the vendor to eyeball it for you rather than rely on the cert alone.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks again!

So this revelation raises a new question/issue. It seems that the diamonds online with certs available for viewing are few and far between. Now I also need to weed out those with the old AGS certs/methodology, or at least be more particular in evaluating them... Is there a way I should go about finding potential stones? There are tons that come up in the pricescope search, but without an image of the inclusions, it's hard to tell one SI1 from another. I mean, I would much rather have one like the first stone I posted - with the only inclusions on the perimeter, than one with a bunch of inclusions smack dab in the center... but both are SI1, and without seeing the cert it's impossible to know the difference. I know I can request the cert, but when I search there are tons of results. Any input? This whole process is new to me, and this is a lot of money so I want to get the best diamond possible.

Have you looked at my suggestion? That is only $90 more than your original pick, same specs but current AGS0. What are you worried about on that stone?
EDT to add link
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1186693.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2008 2:15:01 PM
Author: neatfreak

Thanks again!

In general Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, and James Allen almost always have certs posted and pictures too. I would start with them personally to make it easier on yourself. And please don''t disregard SI1''s with seemingly ''dirty'' plots in the center. Sometimes these stones are perfectly eyeclean and are a good choice. Best to ask the vendor to eyeball it for you rather than rely on the cert alone.
Great advice!

vadar

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 2:26:55 PM
Author: Stone-cold11

Have you looked at my suggestion? That is only $90 more than your original pick, same specs but current AGS0. What are you worried about on that stone?
EDT to add link
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1186693.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131
I know I shouldn''t put too much stock into the inclusions, but that one looked absolutely loaded with clouds in the middle... wouldn''t that make it look cloudy, for lack of a better term?

What about this one?

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=41310793&src=builderhttp://

I had them email me the cert, I am unable to upload it for some reason... I think it''s the old style AGS report though, it does not say performance based and it''s from 2006. I plugged it into the Hollaway cut advisor and it scored 0.7, the cert is a really bad photocopy but I see very, very minimal inclusions.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Whiteflash has some gorgeous ACA 2+ ct with September 2008 AGS reports. The selection is quite varied and it is lucky for you that you''re flexible with color.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2008 5:57:27 PM

I know I shouldn't put too much stock into the inclusions, but that one looked absolutely loaded with clouds in the middle... wouldn't that make it look cloudy, for lack of a better term?

What about this one?

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=41310793&src=builderhttp://

I had them email me the cert, I am unable to upload it for some reason... I think it's the old style AGS report though, it does not say performance based and it's from 2006. I plugged it into the Hollaway cut advisor and it scored 0.7, the cert is a really bad photocopy but I see very, very minimal inclusions.
Hi vadar, it's hard to say a lot with this one, they don't have the cert up. But what I can glean from it's diameter is that it's slightly out of round, and the girdle is iffy with the Very thin portion. So we can't say for sure, but that's not a great indication.

Also, as neat pointed out, do not let the clarity plots scare you. These pics are blown up BIG time. What looks like a mine field, could be totally eye clean, all the way down to SI2's (and those lower clarity stones will save you a bundle). Each stone needs to be evaluated in person to know.
28.gif

Here's a couple I found, and again, don't worry about the clarity plots, just ask if it's eyeclean. And if that means not seeing anything at any angle/distance, let them knowe that too. They will be totally honest with you!

ACA's should be discounted 5%

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1466934.htm#

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1466932.htm

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2008 7:46:57 PM
Author: Ellen

I know I shouldn''t put too much stock into the inclusions, but that one looked absolutely loaded with clouds in the middle... wouldn''t that make it look cloudy, for lack of a better term?

What about this one?

I had them email me the cert, I am unable to upload it for some reason... I think it''s the old style AGS report though, it does not say performance based and it''s from 2006. I plugged it into the Hollaway cut advisor and it scored 0.7, the cert is a really bad photocopy but I see very, very minimal inclusions.
Hi vadar, it''s hard to say a lot with this one, they don''t have the cert up. But what I can glean from it''s diameter is that it''s slightly out of round, and the girdle is iffy with the Very thin portion. So we can''t say for sure, but that''s not a great indication.

Also, as neat pointed out, do not let the clarity plots scare you. These pics are blown up BIG time. What looks like a mine field, could be totally eye clean, all the way down to SI2''s (and those lower clarity stones will save you a bundle). Each stone needs to be evaluated in person to know.
28.gif

Here''s a couple I found, and again, don''t worry about the clarity plots, just ask if it''s eyeclean. And if that means not seeing anything at any angle/distance, let them knowe that too. They will be totally honest with you!

ACA''s should be discounted 5%

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1466934.htm#

Ellen has picked some great stones for you, I''d check these out for sure!

vadar

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/25/2008 7:46:57 PM

What about this one?

Hi vadar, it''s hard to say a lot with this one, they don''t have the cert up. But what I can glean from it''s diameter is that it''s slightly out of round, and the girdle is iffy with the Very thin portion. So we can''t say for sure, but that''s not a great indication.

Also, as neat pointed out, do not let the clarity plots scare you. These pics are blown up BIG time. What looks like a mine field, could be totally eye clean, all the way down to SI2''s (and those lower clarity stones will save you a bundle). Each stone needs to be evaluated in person to know.
28.gif

Here''s a couple I found, and again, don''t worry about the clarity plots, just ask if it''s eyeclean. And if that means not seeing anything at any angle/distance, let them knowe that too. They will be totally honest with you!

ACA''s should be discounted 5%

Thanks. I wasn''t considering J Color, I has been the lowest I''ve searched. How do J''s look in person? I know each is different, but for example I looked at an H and an I at a jeweler and I could not tell any difference.

And what do you mean that ACA should be discounted 5%? Is that 5% off the price on the site? On all ACA''s?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 9:17:07 AM

Thanks. I wasn''t considering J Color, I has been the lowest I''ve searched. How do J''s look in person? I know each is different, but for example I looked at an H and an I at a jeweler and I could not tell any difference.

And what do you mean that ACA should be discounted 5%? Is that 5% off the price on the site? On all ACA''s?
A well cut J will not look much different than a well cut I, so you should be fine. That''s why I suggested a J, because I saw you had no problem with an I.
28.gif

Here''s a thread that might help ease your mind a bit.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/

And I''m sorry I was unclear. You should receive a 5% PS discount off the listed price, on all ACA''s. 2% off Expert selection.

vadar

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 11:11:10 AM

A well cut J will not look much different than a well cut I, so you should be fine. That''s why I suggested a J, because I saw you had no problem with an I.
28.gif

And I''m sorry I was unclear. You should receive a 5% PS discount off the listed price, on all ACA''s. 2% off Expert selection.
Wow, thanks for this info. Do you think I should look for strong flourescence as well, to offset any yellow in a J? Or would that make it cloudy looking? Or (as I suspect) is this a case by case situation and I need to evaluate each one individually?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2008 11:54:18 AM

Date: 11/26/2008 11:11:10 AM

28.gif

Wow, thanks for this info. Do you think I should look for strong flourescence as well, to offset any yellow in a J? Or would that make it cloudy looking? Or (as I suspect) is this a case by case situation and I need to evaluate each one individually?
Yes indeed, strong blue fluorescence is considered an asset by some in a J colour, but you would need to check with the vendor if it had a negative effect on the diamond ( rare).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 11:54:18 AM

2.gif

First, a well cut (and that's key) J will never look yellow. It may appear a tad "warm", not blazing white, more like winter white, but not yellow.

Also, sure, a strong to very strong blue fluorescence can offset what warmth it might have. Rarely does it affect a stone negatively, but as you said, each stone must be evaluated on it's own. However, I will add, I wouldn't go out of your way to find a stone with flo, it would really limit your selection, and is not really "necessary".

And you're welcome!

*typing at same time*

vadar

Rough_Rock
OK, time to ask the experts again. Opinions, reservations, etc. very, very much appreciated.

Report: AGS
. Shape: A Cut Above H&A
. Carat: 2.065
. Depth %: 61.7
. Table %: 56
. Crown Angle: 34.8
. Crown %: 15.3
. Star : 54.5
. Pavilion Angle: 40.8
. Pavilion %: 43.1
. Lower Girdle %: 75.7
. Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 8.15-8.19X5.04
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

$18,690.00 - so if there is a 5% discount off that price it would be $17,755. Seems really good to me compared to what I''ve seen in comparable stones. But what I think doesn''t matter, bc I am still pretty clueless!

5.gif

cert1573132745.GIF

vadar

Rough_Rock
The inclusions look really negligible to me, especially considering it''s an SI2... It looks much more eyeclean than most SI1''s I''ve seen online. What am I missing?

DI40X_AGS-8051308.GIF

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think your missing anything.....looks like a great deal to me!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 6:35:16 PM
The inclusions look really negligible to me, especially considering it's an SI2... It looks much more eyeclean than most SI1's I've seen online. What am I missing?
You can't tell from real pics either vadar. I've seen real pics of stones that you couldn't see a thing, only to find out they weren't eyeclean, and vice versa. Have someone eyeball it for you, and be very specific about what eyeclean means to you. Other than the verdict on that, it should be an absolutely gorgeous stone!
2.gif
(and the price is good)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2008 6:52:01 PM

Date: 11/26/2008 6:35:16 PM
The inclusions look really negligible to me, especially considering it''s an SI2... It looks much more eyeclean than most SI1''s I''ve seen online. What am I missing?
You can''t tell from real pics either vadar. I''ve seen real pics of stones that you couldn''t see a thing, only to find out they weren''t eyeclean, and vice versa. Have someone eyeball it for you, and be very specific about what eyeclean means to you. Other than the verdict on that, it should be an absolutely gorgeous stone!
2.gif
(and the price is good)
Ditto

vadar

Rough_Rock
Ok, so apparently this stone is eyeclean from 8-10 inches. But the inclusions are visible from 3-5 inches. But they recommended an alternative, totally eyeclean that looks like a winner. From what the guy says, there is no noticable difference in the color from the "I" above.

Thanks so much for everyone who helped me out - I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

Please take a look at this one and let me know your thoughts, any concerns, etc:

Report: AGS
. Shape: A Cut Above H&A
. Carat: 2.114
. Depth %: 61.8
. Table %: 56.5
. Crown Angle: 34.8
. Crown %: 15.1
. Star : 54
. Pavilion Angle: 40.7
. Pavilion %: 42.9
. Lower Girdle %: 76
. Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick Faceted
. Measurements: 8.20-8.23X5.08
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal

DI40X_AGS-9977101.GIF

vadar

Rough_Rock
Haven''t gotten the Cert on this one - so I can''t see what the inclusions look like. But here are the specs:

Report: AGS DQR
AGS 2.0 (H)
AGS 5 (SI1)
. Shape: Round Brilliant
. Carat: 2.135
. Table %: 57.9
Crown Angle: 33.0
. Crown height %: 13.7
. Star Length : 54 %
. Pavilion Angle: 41.1
. Pavilion %: 43.5
. Lower Girdle %: 76
Total depth 62.3%
. Girdle: Thin to Thick, Faceted
. Measurements: 8.14-8.22 X 5.10
. Polish: Excellent
. Symmetry: Excellent
How does this compare to the one above? Is the Diamond Quality Report the old-style AGS cert? This one scores well in the HCA, the salesguy said 1.1, but I got 1.6 (1.2 if I used % instead of angles...). It''s "Excellent" and not "Ideal" in polish and symmetry, is that a different score, or is that a product of the old style AGS cert? Sorry for all the questions, only wanna do this once!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A DQR does not give a cut grade. AGS issues different levels of reports.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The newer stone will at most be a AGS1, as it only score a Ex/Ex in symm and polish, in the DQD cut performance grading system. DQR is a cheaper report for the vendors to use which the cut is not graded.

vadar

Rough_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results