shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on two beautiful diamonds please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I''ve learned so much from this forum in the last several months that I wanted to come back to you guys for our crucial decision. All of you have such wonderful opinions and knowledge so please give your honest opinion on these two diamonds. I know the ultimate decision should be based on the visual beauty of the diamond but I''d like to know your thoughts based on the IS and numbers and we will, of course, also base it on its visual beauty.

Okay, the specs are:

Diamond #1

1.805 (AGS new cert-- Ideal)
I color/VS2

Diameter: 7.84mm
Total Depth: 61.3%
Crown Angle: 34.0
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion Depth: 42.8%
Table size: 56.0
Girdle: medium

Diamond #2

1.76 GIA - Excellent
H color/VS2

Diameter: 7.82mm
Total Depth: 61
Crown Angle: 35
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion Depth: 43%
Table size: 56.0
Girdle: thin to medium

They are both eye clean and face up WHITE but the 1.76 does have an inclusion on the table whereas the 1.81 does not.

The IS images are to follow...

DLIS1.JPG

This is Diamond #2

DLIS2.JPG

#1 has slightly better to me angles but both are good.
#1 would be my pick they are both nice, how does the price compare?

I think they both look like winners!

Thanks for the response. I''m actually hoping to get opinions on the stones with the assumption that the price is equal so I won''t bias anyone''s opinions so I''ll share the price difference after I get a few more responses- although things seem slower this morning.
33.gif

They both face up white but I wasn''t sure if it might be better to still go with the H? Visually it''s impossible to tell them apart (for me that is).

DL

If all were equal, then I''d want the H. H happens to be my personal comfort level. I tried to look those stones up to see the certs and magnified images thinking they were WF IS photos, but I don''t see either listed. I''d have to check the inclusions before I could personally decide.

Hope this helps!

DL1.JPG

dl2.GIF

I must add that the inclusion on #1 must be ultra feathery because I could not see it at all.

However, the inclusion on #2 was more like a cut and I could see it with the naked eye from the side but not face up so it might possibly be covered with a prong.

Thanks for the help! Like I said, it''s a hard decision because they are both beautiful and wonderfully brilliant but I just wanted to get some valuable insight before we make this difficult choice.

DL

The fact that there is a VS table inclusion should not effect your decision. I think you should focus on light performance in each stone and then the price. If you do not see any difference, then let price be the determining factor. Otherwise, if you see a difference in light performance, you have to evaluate whether or not that is worth the difference in your cost.

GF

Ugh! Don't you just hate having to decide? All of the inclusions are well placed. I guess in this case, I'd want the cleanest diamond, which would be #1, but the H color is certainly more desirable in terms of value. This is why I am having trouble deciding, too. I would assume the I costs less, so if you really can't see the color difference from the side, then I guess I'd go with the I. But I haven't even looked at I's, so that would take an adjustment in my thinking to drop in color. Sorry to be of no help!

Yes! It''s proving to be SUCH a difficult decision. Although I can''t complain, having two gorgeous stones to choose from is an enjoyable position to be in as I''m sure most people on here can relate. I''m just thrilled that he''s letting me in on the decision making process bc I was originally supposed to be totally shut out.
2.gif

But yes, the light performance for the two are freakishly similar. The appraiser has done ASET images for both and they both perform outstandingly. Visually they are both fantastic and once I decide, I will definitely tell everyone which one is back on the market because it deserves to be snapped up ASAP and I can completely recommend it because my appraiser has also given both stones splendid reviews.

I was hoping for PSers to help point out things that will help sway us a lot easier one way or another.

Again, I really appreciate the observations and comments.

I think they are both in the GREAT category, so you could basically flip a coin and not go wrong since you have seen them both and find them equal! Do let us know what happens! What a great size stone, too!

Have you seen these diamonds? If so I''d pick with your eyes, if not I''d pick by the price, because both of these diamonds look gorgeous on paper and idealscope! Have fun choosing!

#1 would be my choice. I think the angles on that one but I don''t think you could go wrong with either. Good luck!

Thanks guys. We''ve made our decision and have gone with the 1.81 I VS2. It was a really really close call and I honestly would''ve been thrilled with either stone because we saw it in person and both my bf and I thought both stones were blindingly gorgeous.

The price was also quite close so the ultimate deciding factor was just that I could see the tiny inclusion with my naked eye on the 1.76 whereas I could not see ANYthing at all on the 1.81. They were both white and I tried so hard to see a color difference but could not at all. The 1.81 was also slightly better cut. However, I looked at it under the fluorescent lighting, by the window, under the backlight that the appraiser had and I could not tell the two stones apart unless I looked for that tiny inclusion.

If anyone is in the market for a stone in this size range (and it meets your budget) -- I''d totally recommend you snatch this one up. My biggest priority was the FIREY sparkles a well cut stone gives off and both of these stones emitted fire like crazy. Beautiful sight.
36.gif

We have told the vendors of our decision so now that the 1.76 is no longer on hold for us I can safely share that the 1.76 was an ES stone by Whiteflash for anyone who is interested in a gorgeous 1.76 H VS2.

Thanks for your help today AND the past few months.

oh and the stone we ended up going with was a SUPERBCERT by Excel Diamonds. Here''s an amateur photo of the two together:

twoprettiestogether.JPG

Ooo! Cool picture Diamondlove! 2 big stones with tons of colored fire, got to love it
30.gif
Congrats on making your choice! I can''t wait to see it set. So how long do you think it will be till your BF proposes??
31.gif

Sunkist,

Thanks! I''m sad I won''t ever get to have those two stones together on my finger again. It was quite enjoyable!
2.gif

I honestly have no idea what his timeline is and I know he doesn''t want me to have an idea since I wasn''t even supposed to be in on the decision making at all originally.

I love how all your photos have turned out-- it is SO difficult to take beautiful photos of diamonds. I''m still trying but here''s one a photo of my Superbcert by itself in a different lighting than the earlier one. I get so excited when I can capture the arrows in a photo.
36.gif

DL

brightphoto.jpg

Here''s another one but with a bit of sunlight filtering in. This isn''t a photo thread so I''m trying not to get out of hand. It''s just so addictive!
12.gif

DL

bitosunlight.jpg

Hey Diamondlove every thread is a photo thread! Let the addiction take over!
31.gif
hahaha! You''re pictures are looking REALLY good actually. Take it outside if you can, maybe in filtered light or bright sun or behind your shadow, start trying out lots of different lighting cause I think you can take great pics. Get to it!
9.gif

Oh my goodness! By ALL means keep posting photos! Numbers are nice, but pictures are really EXCITING!!!
36.gif

I LOVE your stone!!! Now I think I need to go larger! Which setting did you choose?

And you really couldn''t tell the difference between the H and I? How about from the side?

That diamond looks breathtakingly beautiful!!! We love your photos.

I really couldn''t tell the color difference between the H vs. I face up nor the side. It really is true that the CUT makes a huge difference because I COULD tell a difference between Gs, Hs and Is when i went to look at some stones in a mall store even though they were ''IDEAL'' cut diamonds.

However, with these two superideals they were shining so much that I could barely focus on the stone''s actual color bc there were dif. colors shining all over the place. When we turned them face down I could tell a difference between a master stone E color vs these two but not between these two. The appraiser did say that these two faced up exceptionally white and that''s not always the case with all H''s and I''s. You just gotta be patient and find the right one!

As for photos, thanks for all your replies bc they were all the encouragement I needed!
9.gif

Here are a few photos taken outside in sunlight. I''ve found a new hobby-- staring and photographing this pretty thing.

orangetone.jpg

Outside photo #2

pinkishtone.jpg

How jealous am I.

I''d been watching that diamond for two weeks now and had planned on purchasing it this week. I randomly came across your thread and recognized the report sketch of the diamond immediately.

I guarantee you''ll love that diamond, it looks fantastic and is a wonderful purchase.

Enjoy!

hi CP,

Welcome to PS! Thanks and I am sorry that you missed the stone but I can''t lie, I am very happy my bf got it in time!
1.gif

However, def. take a look at that Whiteflash ES selection one that we passed on bc it was also very beautiful and very very similar to this Superbcert stone. If not, good luck with your search and I know the perfect one will turn up.

My bf has been looking for a stone for the last 3 months before he narrowed it down to these two.

DL

I think you did well, not that I am an expert but...now, for the fun part, what are your setting ideas?

Thanks Diamondfan.

I think we''ll be going with the Locke''s Signature Setting that Matatora has. I love 6 prong solitaires but it''s been hard finding one that is also somewhat unique. I also like settings that has eternity bands but my bf prefers a simpler setting and the Locke''s one is one of the few we''re both in love with. However, it is ultimately up to him so I honestly won''t know what he will choose until he proposes but I am PRETTY sure he''s going with the Locke''s
2.gif

I am so anxious and impatient!

DL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP