shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions Please!!! Cushion vs. Radiant vs. Jubilee

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ponch312

Rough_Rock
After many hours of research, I was finally able to meet with a local jewler and he was able to extract my thoughts/ideas and transform them into a beautiful custom band. I have been going back and forth between Cushion & Radiants...after speaking with a local gemologist, he kind of steered me away from cushions. His opinion is that most of them are "bottom heavy" thus making them appear smaller than their ct. wt. With that in mind, I moved on to Radiants and have viewed several of them with the jewler making the band...however, the l:w ratio was not quite what I was interested in. While waiting for more radiants to come in, I have continued doing some research and came across something called a Jubilee cut. I have watched many videos on the GOG website and was completely blown away with their brillance. Ultimately, I''m trying to narrow down my search to the cut that, on average, has the most brillance. I''m looking for something that really POPS! Please feel free to provide any and all opinions on Cushion vs. Radiant vs. Jubilee. My only concern with the Jubilee is that I can''t seem to find anyone outside of GOG that carries them. I look forward to the upcoming education on these cuts! Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

Cuahions and radiants can be really hard to get right, that''s why it''s worth working with a great vendor like Mark at ERD or Jon at Good Old Gold.

Any reason you don''t want to buy from GOG? I think a **NICE** cushion is gorgeous as well as jubilees. I don''t care for radiants too much, too busy for me.

With it being a holiday, I have not had the chance to talk with GOG. I''m certainly not opposed to buying from them, just like to explore as many vendors as possible before making the investment. Although I''ve only viewed 6-8 Radiants, and 1 Cushion in person...none really popped or stood out. This Jubilee cut seems very interesting to me. I like the "softer" corners on the Cushion & Jubilee...however, have been told that Radiants typically produce more brillance. Thanks for your insight.

Date: 11/27/2008 12:41:48 PM
Author: ponch312
With it being a holiday, I have not had the chance to talk with GOG. I''m certainly not opposed to buying from them, just like to explore as many vendors as possible before making the investment. Although I''ve only viewed 6-8 Radiants, and 1 Cushion in person...none really popped or stood out. This Jubilee cut seems very interesting to me. I like the ''softer'' corners on the Cushion & Jubilee...however, have been told that Radiants typically produce more brillance. Thanks for your insight.

I personally don''t think that radiants are more brilliant at all. But there are probably 30-40 poorly cut cushions on the market to every 1 good one, so likely you''ve seen some crappy ones. Luckily, Jon at GOG has fabulous cushions and also the jubilee. He''d be my man personally.

I hope to speak with John from GOG in the near future. Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject, but what cut do you have in your avatar? Have you personally seen any Jubilee''s...if so, what are your thoughts on them?

Date: 11/27/2008 1:13:14 PM
I hope to speak with John from GOG in the near future. Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject, but what cut do you have in your avatar? Have you personally seen any Jubilee's...if so, what are your thoughts on them?

It's a cushion! It's a superbly cut one though, so as you can see it makes a huge difference in the brilliance. My stone rivals my best friend's ideal cut RB any day.

I have seen Jubilee's in person and they are gorgeous too. But they do have a price premium, so it depends on where you want to spend your budget.

My stone is from Mark at Engagement Rings Direct and I couldn't recommend him highly enough. Jon also has access/an eye for great cushions too.

Upon searching the GOG website, it appears as though their current Cushion inventory is limited. Any idea on what "specs." I should be looking for to produce the best brillance/pop within the cushion, jubilee, & radiant cuts?

Date: 11/27/2008 4:42:01 PM
Upon searching the GOG website, it appears as though their current Cushion inventory is limited. Any idea on what ''specs.'' I should be looking for to produce the best brillance/pop within the cushion, jubilee, & radiant cuts?

There are no rules with cushions, and jubilee cuts are pretty systematic. I would ask Jon for some recommendations honestly, he''d be the best person to ask.

I bought a 1.05 ct. Jubilee last year when I upgraded my wedding set. I LOVE it! Someday when I get a big chunk of change, I want to get a cushion to set into a halo for a right hand ring. It is hard to decide and you sort of have to look at stones on a diamond-by-diamond basis. You will find one that "speaks" to you if that makes sense. That being said, I found the Jubilee when I was looking at ovals and went crazy over it.

NEU...thanks for your insight as well! This will be in a halo setting, yet the band will all be handwork with no diamonds going down the sides. Wish it was possible to see a comparison of all three side by side. As previously mentioned, I''ve been told to avoid cushions because most of them are bottom heavy and appear smaller than what you paid for. I''m not sure that I''m using the terminology properly but I''m looking for a diamond with the best spread for it''s weight, and one that is truly brillant and pops, meaning it stands out in a room full of rounds & princess cuts. I''m kind of partial to the softer corners of the cushion and jubilee, yet the radiant seems very nice as well. Maybe this will help as well, I''m looking to spend rougly 4-5K on the center stone. Thanks again, please keep the info. coming!

Date: 11/28/2008 12:26:35 AM
NEU...thanks for your insight as well! This will be in a halo setting, yet the band will all be handwork with no diamonds going down the sides. Wish it was possible to see a comparison of all three side by side. As previously mentioned, I''ve been told to avoid cushions because most of them are bottom heavy and appear smaller than what you paid for. I''m not sure that I''m using the terminology properly but I''m looking for a diamond with the best spread for it''s weight, and one that is truly brillant and pops, meaning it stands out in a room full of rounds & princess cuts. I''m kind of partial to the softer corners of the cushion and jubilee, yet the radiant seems very nice as well. Maybe this will help as well, I''m looking to spend rougly 4-5K on the center stone. Thanks again, please keep the info. coming!

Honestly, don''t listen to that appraiser/jeweler. Cushions can have very good spread for their size if they are cut right. And Jon at GOG is usually happy to make you a video comparison once you choose some stones you are interested in.

Date: 11/28/2008 12:26:35 AM
NEU...thanks for your insight as well! This will be in a halo setting, yet the band will all be handwork with no diamonds going down the sides. Wish it was possible to see a comparison of all three side by side. As previously mentioned, I've been told to avoid cushions because most of them are bottom heavy and appear smaller than what you paid for. I'm not sure that I'm using the terminology properly but I'm looking for a diamond with the best spread for it's weight, and one that is truly brillant and pops, meaning it stands out in a room full of rounds & princess cuts. I'm kind of partial to the softer corners of the cushion and jubilee, yet the radiant seems very nice as well. Maybe this will help as well, I'm looking to spend rougly 4-5K on the center stone. Thanks again, please keep the info. coming!
It is possible. Pick out 3 or so stones of different cuts on GoodOldGold.com and email Jonathan asking if he would be willing to make a video for you to compare (he will be). Most of the videos on the GOG website were made for clients needing diamond comparisons.

When I was down to the last minute of decision making, Jonathan made a video comparing the Jubilee with the Cushette. The Cushette is a gorgeous cushion "brand" cut for light performance. Jonathan sells them but he is not allowed to post them online. So you have to ask for one. He might even have the old video he made for me comparing the Jubilee I eventually bought with a 1.24 ct. Cushette.

What are your thoughts on the branded cuts? I surely can''t argue with the videos provided by GOG...would like to hear peoples opinion of "traditional" cuts vs. "branded" cuts.

Date: 11/28/2008 2:01:18 PM
What are your thoughts on the branded cuts? I surely can''t argue with the videos provided by GOG...would like to hear peoples opinion of ''traditional'' cuts vs. ''branded'' cuts.

It''s a personal choice about what facet pattern you like really when you are talking about jubilee, princess of hearts, cushette, etc.

Agree with neatfreak. Branded cuts are branded because they have some special faceting, cut design or are cut for light performance. Even round brilliants that display hearts and arrows, while not a "brand" per se (I don''t think-correct me if I am wrong), kind of fall into that category because when you say H&A, you know you are getting a specific look.

I''m pretty sure that GOG has videos of all those brands. I ended up with the Jubilee because I really like the cut-corner-square look. Keep in mind, though, that branded diamonds carry a premium price. Only you can decide it it is worth it to you.

Hi ponch,

Neat and NEU have basically hit the nail on the head and you''ve received good advice in this thread.

In standard cuts ... cushion, radiants, whatever ... its a crapshoot. With brands (Jubilee, etc.) there is consistency.

I would just add the following ...

With most brands the key element to their consistency is the facet structure. For example all diamonds within a given brand will generally have the same number of facets and polished on the diamond in the same basic pattern of symmetry. Ie. Star129 will always have 129 facets ... 33 facets on the crown and 96 on the pavilion. The facet arrangement will all be the same on each diamond.

What can differ however within particular brands is that while they can all have the same amount of facets and polished on in the same construction, each diamond can vary in its actual proportions which can ultimately impact the light performance from diamond to diamond within a particular brand.

Something that I personally look for is consistency, not only with facet structure and symmetry but actual light performance on a diamond by diamond basis. If we see a cutting facility getting lax in that arena who have generally always been consistent they''ll usually get a phone call from me making them aware of it.
41.gif

Kind regards,

Hi there ponch
35.gif

I disagree that all cushions are "bottom heavy." In fact there is a 0.99ct cushion on the GOG website at the moment that has a larger spread than the the 1.55ct that I purchased from them a couple of months ago! I think that one is definitely worth a look. Geez kind of makes me think I should have waited a bit longer, John doesn''t keep badly cut stones so I bet that one is a ripper
1.gif
1.gif

HTH

They're pretty different looks. A jubilee would be good if you like the light performance of a RB, but want a cushion shape and don't mind paying a premium to have it. A (well cut!) cushion can be absolutely gorgeous, but there are a lot of styles of cushions too- chunky faceted with a look similar to antique cushions, crushed ice looking with lots of itty bitty sparkle, square, rectangular etc. If you have your heart set on a cushion, don't let one person's iffy opinion dissuade you. Yes, most well cut fancy shapes are a bit deeper and less spready than a round brilliant of similar weight, but a good cushion isn't any worse than any other fancy, I don't think.

Radiants don't grab me personally; but if you want one, no reason not to seek one out. They have that crushed ice sparkle look. I definitely wouldn't say they're any sparklier than any other cut, though. They just have a harder edged, more modern look than the other cuts you're thinking about.

Date: 11/29/2008 4:35:54 AM
Author: tadji
Hi there ponch
35.gif

I disagree that all cushions are ''bottom heavy.'' In fact there is a 0.99ct cushion on the GOG website at the moment that has a larger spread than the the 1.55ct that I purchased from them a couple of months ago! I think that one is definitely worth a look. Geez kind of makes me think I should have waited a bit longer, John doesn''t keep badly cut stones so I bet that one is a ripper
1.gif
1.gif

HTH
Of course this peaked my curiousity tadji and in fact there was a typo. Don''t sweat ... that .99ct does not look bigger than your 1.55ct.
41.gif

First off, I had the pleasure of speaking with Jonathan from GOG earlier today...super nice guy and extremely helpful. We discussed what I''m looking for and he was kind enough to make a video comparing 4 different cuts for me. Please take a look at the video he made and provide me with your thoughts. After watching the video, I was able to narrow down my preference from 4 to 2 cuts. A week ago, I was dead set on Radiants...now they have moved down on my list. Here is a link to the video: http://vimeo.com/thediamondschannel. It is the 2nd video, Suite of Softer Shapes.

Date: 11/29/2008 5:55:47 PM
First off, I had the pleasure of speaking with Jonathan from GOG earlier today...super nice guy and extremely helpful. We discussed what I''m looking for and he was kind enough to make a video comparing 4 different cuts for me. Please take a look at the video he made and provide me with your thoughts. After watching the video, I was able to narrow down my preference from 4 to 2 cuts. A week ago, I was dead set on Radiants...now they have moved down on my list. Here is a link to the video: http://vimeo.com/thediamondschannel. It is the 2nd video, Suite of Softer Shapes.

Personally I like the first two, then the square H&A, and last the cushette. But they are all beautiful and I don''t think you could really go wrong with any of them.

Neat...that is exactly how I "ranked" them. I prefer the shape of the old cushion but the optics of the jubilee.

That is why we need more than one.
25.gif

Edit to add--You know which one I prefer! But the faceting on that antique style cushion is gorgeous. Love the old world look! And that was nice color tutorial too. My Jubilee is an H/SI1 and it faces up very white.

NEU...do you have any pics of your stone? I would love to see them...especially any with handshots.

I have a photo of the Jubliee but not set into the ring yet. Since I went WAY over budget on the Jubilee diamond and the Tacori wedding set I put it into, the e-ring part is still on layaway, due to come out mid-December, unless we have another annoying car repair to take care of. Stay tuned............

ETA-Believe it or not, I still had my diamond's page from GOG bookmarked!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3489

Date: 11/29/2008 6:13:54 PM
Neat...that is exactly how I ''ranked'' them. I prefer the shape of the old cushion but the optics of the jubilee.

Trust me, as a cushion owner they really look fab IRL too.

I found this link on another thread http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/4989/...the description in exactly what I''m looking for, especially after viewing the video that Jonathan from GOG made this afternoon. Anybody have an idea on what exactly this cut is...is it more in line with a standard cushion, or branded cushion?

Date: 11/29/2008 9:26:29 PM
I found this link on another thread http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/4989/...the description in exactly what I''m looking for, especially after viewing the video that Jonathan from GOG made this afternoon. Anybody have an idea on what exactly this cut is...is it more in line with a standard cushion, or branded cushion?

It''s a newly cut antique style cushion. Not branded technically although I believe Jon is trying to develop them for branding IIRC.

Wow, that cushion has a great ASET. Likely, Jon will come here to answer your questions about it.

The diagram on the Helium is a normal arrangement for cushion brilliants...

A branded cut does not have to be a UNIQUE cut. The brand may simply offer a reliable source of a certain look, which may also be available generically.

Thanks for all the input...that stone is way out of my budget, but the combination of old world cushion and superior optics is what I''m after. Also, I would rather cheat towards better color vs. clarity....is there anything wrong with SI1 or SI2 in these cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP