shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions Please!!! Cushion vs. Radiant vs. Jubilee

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 11/29/2008 9:45:06 PM
Author: ponch312
Thanks for all the input...that stone is way out of my budget, but the combination of old world cushion and superior optics is what I''m after. Also, I would rather cheat towards better color vs. clarity....is there anything wrong with SI1 or SI2 in these cuts?

Not as long as they are eyeclean! And a vendor like Jon or Mark at Engagement Rings Direct (another great cushion source) is always happy to tell you.

Nothing wrong at all with an SI1 or 2. Happy shopping! You're on the right track!

Again, thanks for the input. I''ve come across quite a few stones that are smaller, with H - J color, and VS1 clarity. My preference would be to cheat and spend the money on better color, F - G, slighty bigger stone, as long as it has a good spread, and move down to SI1 - SI2. Have not been able to speak with Mark at ERD, but Jon from GOG has been great thus far. Can''t wait to hear his thoughts about these prototype cuts they are doing.

Hi ponch,

Glad you liked the clip and that it helped. Concerning cushions cut like the one in that link.

We call in cushions all the time and I''ve seen many facet designs within the cushion shape and cut to varying proportions. I know folks love the old chunky styled look however just because a cushion is chunky faceted doesn''t guarantee the kind of optics that should accompany the chunky facets. Ie. chunky facets cut to the wrong proportions will produce adverse effects much like any other cut on the market. Too much head/body shadow results in an overdarkness and excessive leakage a dismal appearance in key areas within the diamond. As hard as it is to even find these chunky faceted cushions, I see many of both varieties and relatively few with the kind of optics I know are the best.

I''ve put my feelers out to various cutting facilities and there are currently 2 I am working with to produce a line of these but at this point it is hard for me to say exactly when I can expect to receive any kind of variety. I do know this however ... when they are finally released and according to specs these are cut they will be what a chunky faceted should be.
1.gif
If you plan on getting engaged fairly quickly I would not recommend waiting because I can''t pin down a precise time frame that I would expect to have some that are in the zone you''re looking for. The .99ct F VS1 however may be one of the better options if that is the look you''re after though.

One of the nice things though is that if you do get any diamond from us that is backed by a lifetime policy you can always trade with us and get back what you paid. If the Jubilee isn''t cushiony enough for ya then perhaps the other cushion H&A I suggested in my email to you may perhaps be the best idea as their light performance is 2nd to none and moreso to the true cushion shape.

Kind regards,

Rhino,

"If the Jubilee isn''t cushiony enough for ya then perhaps the other cushion H&A I suggested in my email to you may perhaps be the best idea as their light performance is 2nd to none and moreso to the true cushion shape."

The shape of the Jubliee is good, but it''s optics are great! Conversely, the shape of that Cushion is great...but it''s optics are not as good. The cushion H&A that your are speaking of was NOT in the video, correct? Just want to make sure I''m on the same page as you. Also, as previously mentioned, I would rather cheat on color and size instead of clarity. To me, it makes no sense to get something with H or J in color and have a VS1 clarity. I will see if I can attach a render of the ring that is currently being made....maybe that will help some of you suggest the cut of stone. Obviously, the final shape of the halo will depend on the exact specs. of the stone I choose. Please keep in mind, the enclosed render was made with a Radiant center stone...which I have now decided to move away from.

Ponch, your image didn''t attach correctly.

It was attached originally, not sure what I need to do for it to show up...any ideas?

Quote, Rhino:

I''ve put my feelers out to various cutting facilities and there are currently 2 I am working with to produce a line of these but at this point it is hard for me to say exactly when I can expect to receive any kind of variety. I do know this however ... when they are finally released and according to specs these are cut they will be what a chunky faceted should be. ----

Yippee. Please keep that going.
36.gif

Happy Holidays, Jon.

Sonoma...that is a beautiful stone in your avatar. Is that a standard cushion...what are the specs., where did you purchase it, etc.

Thanks,

Ponch

--- Sonoma...that is a beautiful stone in your avatar. Is that a standard cushion...what are the specs., where did you purchase it, etc. ----

Awww, thanks Ponch, that''s my baby.
16.gif
That made my day.

It''s an antique old miners cut, probably late 1800''s. I''ve only had it a few months. I''m absolutely head-over-heels in love with it. In outdoor light it looks white, in indoor light it is a golden straw color. That is kind of cool.

You can find out about it all here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-vintage-stone-omc.98874/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP