shape
carat
color
clarity

pictures of the ring before it goes back

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Thanks for all your replies. Here's the side picture. It's 7 diamonds for a total approximate 0.5 ct. Now that I've thought about it all night, it doesn't seem like such a big deal about the little round stones since it is somewhat of a custom job even though it was supposed to be an "in stock" ring. I realize that a person is not going to be as precise as a machine.

The prongs still bother me and since they are crooked, I feel like the 4-prong setting doesn't look that great. I told my husband that had it been set correctly, I wouldn't be having this discussion now, most likely. The mistake only prompted me to look for more mistakes.

I thought about ditching the setting altogether and keeping the diamond and having it set locally, but I'm not sure if DCD will allow me to do that. I just don't want to send it off and have it changed to the 6-prong and then have something else wrong and then have to send it back again. (I get scared off if things go awry and if mistakes cost me time and energy and delay the final product.)

Also, the height of the prongs is scary for a semi-bezel girl!! What do you think?

122_2278.JPG

s95
the ole 4 prong vs 6 prong debate has been going on forever,very close.i think at teh end it''s like 55% for 6 prong vs 45% for 4 prong.i prefer 6 prong.

Date: 6/26/2005 12:56:44 AM
Author: Jennifer5973
Aesthetically, 4 prongs are beautiful...but 6 prongs are more secure IMO. It is a personal choice. If YOU feel more comfortable with and asked for 6 prongs, then you should have 6 prongd. I have 6 prongs but my jeweler did an excellenet job and you cannot even see them. Done right, they do not at all detract from the stone.

Here is a link to my ring thread that shows the 6 prongs: 6 trim prongs

Good luck.
1.gif
That is a beautiful ring. I started wondering why I didn''t get a setting like that...(green-eyed monster appearance) and then I realized that it may not look the same because yours is so HUGE!!!
1.gif

Thanks for the link. I like the 6-prong look and also, it IS what I asked for, although for my original e-ring--I asked for a full bezel and Giraux sent it with a half-bezel for which I''ll always be grateful!!

Anyways, 6-prong it is. I''ll let you know what happens Monday.

Oh, also, in response to Sundial, the original ring will most likely be put away because it doesn''t fit on any other finger on either hand!
7.gif
It''s sad because I really do like that ring, but perhaps it will make a pendant or a right-hand ring someday!!
2.gif

Date: 6/26/2005 1:28:47 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
s95
the ole 4 prong vs 6 prong debate has been going on forever,very close.i think at teh end it''s like 55% for 6 prong vs 45% for 4 prong.i prefer 6 prong.
Hey DF, where did you get the stats on 55% for 6 prong and 45% for 4 prong? I must have missed that thread...link?

Date: 6/26/2005 1:37:23 AM
Author: Mara

s95
Hey DF, where did you get the stats on 55% for 6 prong and 45% for 4 prong? I must have missed that thread...link?
Mara
i''m just guessing
20.gif
9.gif
but, i think i''m pretty close
2.gif
can you do a poll ?.i don''t know how to post one.
33.gif

Date: 6/26/2005 1:08:55 AM
Author: s95

I thought about ditching the setting altogether and keeping the diamond and having it set locally, but I''m not sure if DCD will allow me to do that. I just don''t want to send it off and have it changed to the 6-prong and then have something else wrong and then have to send it back again. (I get scared off if things go awry and if mistakes cost me time and energy and delay the final product.)

it never hurts to ask
31.gif
maybe they would let you exchange it for another one of their settings?
keep us posted
1.gif

Yes I agree I would ask them and see what they say. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Wow, I think the ring is lovely. But you need to be completely happy. Otherwise, it will bug you forever. How do the prongs look with you naked eye. Magnification always makes things look more pronounced than they really are. I personally like 4 prongs, but I do agree that they are not as secure. If you are hard on your jewelry, then 6 prongs makes good sense.

DiamondLil

s95,

It''s a really beautiful design. I like four prongs, and I like six. I think six prongs are probably more secure. If you wanted six prongs, you should probably send it back. And yes, I see what you mean about the crooked prong. I actually have one crooked prong on my ring, too, which bugged me to no end forever, and which I''ve learned to forget about since I can''t seem to find a competent local jeweller and I figure it''s best to let well enough alone. But since you didn''t get quite what you ordered, anyway, in your situation, I would deal with this now and send it back to DCD.

I can''t really see what you mean about uneven spacing of the diamonds, but that doesn''t mean it''s not there.

Sorry, double post!

I thought about ditching the setting altogether and keeping the diamond and having it set locally, but I''m not sure if DCD will allow me to do that. I just don''t want to send it off and have it changed to the 6-prong and then have something else wrong and then have to send it back again. (I get scared off if things go awry and if mistakes cost me time and energy and delay the final product.)
Once a sale is final you can do whatever you want with your ring; they don''t have any say.

It seems to me that your choices are

1) contact the vendor and ask what your options are (this may mean more delays and do-overs, but you have the greatest chance of getting what you want without too much additional cost)

2) buy a new setting locally and have the diamond placed in it (I would recommend an in-stock setting since the custom work is what you didn''t like)

3) decide it''s not so bad and love your ring

If there really is a noticeable difference in the spacing between the side diamonds I think I might want the ring redone. Have you tried measuring with a string or something to see? They should be symmetrical and the circles should be even. That would bother me more than the prongs. I have four prongs and don''t worry about it. That''s what insurance is for!

Also, the height of the prongs is scary for a semi-bezel girl!! What do you think?
For this other bezel setting fun here, this rings true. If you like the high look, perhaps in a week or two you will get used to it. Otherwise, I really love the design of your old ring !
23.gif
Hopefully, this is remark is not way off. The new one is very nice too. Of course, the new diamond looks allot better and seriously larger - the oldie could be its sidestone...

Perhaps DCD can send you a couple of pictures of the finished ring (if you choose to return it to them for modifications after all) before shipping so you get a chance to make sure it corresponds to your expectations. If anything, pictures show even more detail than a good look, perhaps even too much.

Regardless of what you decide regarding the 4 versus 6 prong dilema, the rezult will be a very beautiful ring
1.gif

is this what you mean about the side diamonds not being even?
here''s the pic from dcd
5_1LF.jpg

here''s the pic of your ring. the sidestone on the right looks farther away from the center stone than the one on the left
122_2272.JPG

looks like good news if you want to return it or get it fixed. here''s dcd Return policy which you can find here

We back all of our diamonds and diamond jewelry with a 100% money back guarantee. Whether you simply purchase a loose diamond, or buy the entire diamond engagement ring, we''re here to back it up. In the unlikely event that you are not satisfied with your purchase, we offer a 10 day no questions asked return policy. Simply contact us within ten days from the day you receive your stone for return instructions. Custom ring orders or items not returned in original condition are not refundable. Once we receive the item back in original condition the ENTIRE purchase amount will be returned to you, including shipping fees. We even refund the RETURN shipping charge. Refunds are made via certified check and overnighted to you at no charge. If you prefer we can use the funds as a credit towards a different purchase. The choice is up to you!

Date: 6/26/2005 2:38:49 PM
Author: mrssalvo
is this what you mean about the side diamonds not being even?
here''s the pic from dcd
5_1LF.jpg

here''s the pic of your ring. the sidestone on the right looks farther away from the center stone than the one on the left
122_2272.JPG
You''re right that it is farther away on the right side, however, it''s not quite as pronounced as in this picture. I hadn''t noticed it until you posted this picture since I was focusing on the prongs.

The main thing that I noticed was that the diamonds seemed to not be perfectly set in the center of the band and the holes from which they peaked were not perfectly round which as I thought about things made sense since a human being was actually putting those stones into a band and not a machine!

The whole crookedness of the ring in general really is bugging me--from the prongs being crooked to the stones in the front being off now that I have seen that as well. Also, the setting in general is just not what I thought it would be.

Mrssalvo, I pm''d you more.

Thanks for all the input. I''ll post more when I talk to DCD.

Date: 6/26/2005 12:22:27 PM
Author: diamondlil
Wow, I think the ring is lovely. But you need to be completely happy. Otherwise, it will bug you forever. How do the prongs look with you naked eye. Magnification always makes things look more pronounced than they really are. I personally like 4 prongs, but I do agree that they are not as secure. If you are hard on your jewelry, then 6 prongs makes good sense.

DiamondLil
DiamondLil,
To the naked eye, they are crooked. I think I actually noticed the crookedness on the ring itself and not on the picture.

I know what you mean about magnification--the picture Mrssalvo posted is definitely worse than the ring looks in real life. The ring really is beautiful, but there are too many things at this point in the way for me to be satisifed.
40.gif

Latest update,
I decided to return the setting altogether and then look locally for someone to work with. I am very impressed with the jeweler that DCD works with regarding his responsiveness and his willingness to make things right even without having even seen anything!

Sometimes, I think jewelers think that this is all in our minds and get defensive, but he offered to remake the ring while the original ring was in transit back to him and then send it back once the original ring and stone arrived and he had had it reset. He also stated that he would pay shipping. In the end, though, I had so many problems with the setting and style anyways, that it works better to see something in person before ordering it.

Also, DCD didn''t make me send back the whole ring. Instead, I''m able to have our jeweler affiliated with the appraiser take the stone out and then send the setting back and not have to have the stone be in transit, too. I thought that was great.

It does work out well, since I had wanted to get the stone appraised and didnt'' realize at the time of ordering that appraisals work best with a loose stone.

Thanks to DCD and their fine customer service and also to their jeweler for really stepping up to the plate and being so responsive as well.
1.gif

I think it you are like me, seeing something in person is a must.

Another update! We had the stone appraised today thru Pacific Gem Labs in Portland here which has been mentioned on the forum and the stone appraised at $14,240 which is almost 2x more than what we paid! Both the jeweler that my husband took the stone to and the appraiser said that it was a lovely stone. Now to find a setting! Thanks DCD for such a lovely and sparkly stone and for great customer service!!

Well you have a beautiful stone and we will all look forward to seeing your new setting! You will have fun finding just the right one.

Wow!
36.gif

Date: 6/26/2005 1:37:23 AM
Author: Mara

s95
Mara
35.gif

have you check the score board?....he,he,heee. i''m not as dumb as you think.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP