shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink sapphire? Or something else?

Yea, I'm not holding my breath on it lol, if it's worth $5000, awesome! If it's worth $50, I'd still be happy... hell, even if it's worth $5, with all the other random stuff I got in the lot, I'll still break even or end up positive! The lot did come with plenty of real stones though! There are 3 (4-5ct) Garnets, 4 (.5ct) Rhodolite Garnets, 5 (2ct) Peridot, both white and tahitian pearls, a few Smoky Quartz stones (including a giant one), and a bunch of other stuff. (Some sold already, there was about a pound or so of really good quality tigers eye stones, one of the other two people bidding on the lot gave me $50 for them before even leaving the auction house lol) 20220602_102805.JPG20220531_083047~4.JPG20220602_102543.JPG
Also, this is the bag it all came in! I tried to Google it, but the business doesn't exist anymore. 20220624_060319~2.JPG Could be a good or bad sign I suppose haha.

You have a great attitude! This is fun, right? You'll be addicted in no time, my friend!!

S20220627_0007.jpg

I took more close up pictures! This is the same area, just at different focal zooms!
Clearly the top where it's faceted has straight lines across it. However, I see different lines after changing the focal zoom a bit. Idk if they help at all haha. Still haven't heard back from any of the gemologist I emailed to get their opinion.

Attachments

• S20220627_0009.jpg
    S20220627_0009.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 20
  • S20220627_0008.jpg
    S20220627_0008.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 19
  • S20220627_0010.jpg
    S20220627_0010.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 19
S20220627_0007.jpg

I took more close up pictures! This is the same area, just at different focal zooms!
Clearly the top where it's faceted has straight lines across it. However, I see different lines after changing the focal zoom a bit. Idk if they help at all haha. Still haven't heard back from any of the gemologist I emailed to get their opinion.

To me, these just look like lap lines (from cutting and polishing) or maybe a bit of surface scratching and abrading. I can't really make out any internal growth properties. Perhaps a more discerning eye can. But I'm interested to see what your local G.G. says! I hope he or she gets back to you soon!!

I went through something very similar recently. I ended up bringing it to GIA for a certificate. It was something like $160 but iirc you can request that if they discover it’s synthetic that they don’t issue a certificate and just return the stone to you. I can’t remember the price but it was less. Either way, <$200 is probably worth figuring out what it is. Mine ended up being real, I just had it recut.

what makes me curious is the unorthodox cut, which is what made me suspect mine was real too. synthetic material is cheap and very large, so there isn’t really a reason to cut poorly like when trying to preserve weight. My vote is it’s real. But I’m as far from e pert as you could get haha

so I can’t say whether yours is real or not for sure, but I do think it’s worth it to send it to GIA or AGL. Fingers crossed for ya

Last edited:
I believe the least expensive option would actually be the GIA report at $120, because the AGL would charge $160 for the Prestige ID (since this stone exceeds the size restriction for a GemBrief). However, if the stone turned out to be a synthetic or simulant, I wonder if it would instead fall under the "other" category for the GIA report (and be $70). You may want to call and find out. If the stone is indeed a natural pink sapphire weighing over 10ct., then testing it would certainly be worth the cost. If it ends up being a synthetic or simulant, not so much. It's a gamble!

I recently sent an auction buy that was sold as a natural ruby to GIA but was lab. I was charged $70.

Thank you for confirming this! Were you able to send the stone back or did you decide to keep it anyway?

Oh I sent it back. Told the vendor I was sending it in because my local jeweler thought it looked too good to be true. Definitely an eBay Nono…and a vendor I had read about here. One of the two that ends their auctions every Thursday.

Oh I sent it back. Told the vendor I was sending it in because my local jeweler thought it looked too good to be true. Definitely an eBay Nono…and a vendor I had read about here. One of the two that ends their auctions every Thursday.

Ahh I see... well I'm glad you did all the right things to confirm its composition, and were able to return it. Did the vendor reimburse you for the report? I've often wondered how that works, because it seems only fair they do.

Ahh I see... well I'm glad you did all the right things to confirm its composition, and were able to return it. Did the vendor reimburse you for the report? I've often wondered how that works, because it seems only fair they do.

I agree. No, they did not. I sent it with the return though! ; )

Yea, I'm not holding my breath on it lol, if it's worth $5000, awesome! If it's worth $50, I'd still be happy... hell, even if it's worth $5, with all the other random stuff I got in the lot, I'll still break even or end up positive! The lot did come with plenty of real stones though! There are 3 (4-5ct) Garnets, 4 (.5ct) Rhodolite Garnets, 5 (2ct) Peridot, both white and tahitian pearls, a few Smoky Quartz stones (including a giant one), and a bunch of other stuff. (Some sold already, there was about a pound or so of really good quality tigers eye stones, one of the other two people bidding on the lot gave me $50 for them before even leaving the auction house lol) 20220602_102805.JPG20220531_083047~4.JPG20220602_102543.JPG
Also, this is the bag it all came in! I tried to Google it, but the business doesn't exist anymore. 20220624_060319~2.JPG Could be a good or bad sign I suppose haha.

sounds like a rather awsome bag of pretties no matter what their worth
i guess its a bonus if the pink saphire brings home any money, but it sure is pretty

I agree. No, they did not. I sent it with the return though! ; )

That's because you're a good doobie! Don't worry about them... you only last so long as a seller when you: a) are being deceptive; or b) don't know what the hell you're doing. You did everything right. So have you found your perfect ruby since then?
523716bsnxx88uuv.gif

That's because you're a good doobie! Don't worry about them... you only last so long as a seller when you: a) are being deceptive; or b) don't know what the hell you're doing. You did everything right. So have you found your perfect ruby since then?
523716bsnxx88uuv.gif

Well, no. Not yet for a ring. The one I found ended up heated so I returned it. But I did find some gorgeous earrings. They checked out. Need to take a picture and post. But I did find quite a nice spinel that is at GIA now. Vendor shots attached!

Attachments

• 8872F9D3-0863-4E2B-9E72-20398845E64F.jpeg
    8872F9D3-0863-4E2B-9E72-20398845E64F.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 25
  • E03BEEB3-83F8-4946-99D7-480D693A54F0.jpeg
    E03BEEB3-83F8-4946-99D7-480D693A54F0.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 25
I did find one picture on my camera roll. Burma and double certed unheated. Bought them in Dublin from Weston’s, a very recommended vendor by me.

Attachments

• DC6A6C71-489F-4C07-8546-810B84A3700C.jpeg
    DC6A6C71-489F-4C07-8546-810B84A3700C.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 6
@Mrsz1ppy Sure looks like you made out well, my friend! That spinel is INCREDIBLE!! And the ruby earrings are so regal looking.
queenemot.gif
Enjoy them!! Oh and how will you set the spinel?

Sorry, OP, I seem to have hijacked the thread! I'll behave now.
lectureemoti.gif

I went through something very similar recently. I ended up bringing it to GIA for a certificate. It was something like $160 but iirc you can request that if they discover it’s synthetic that they don’t issue a certificate and just return the stone to you. I can’t remember the price but it was less. Either way, <$200 is probably worth figuring out what it is. Mine ended up being real, I just had it recut.

what makes me curious is the unorthodox cut, which is what made me suspect mine was real too. synthetic material is cheap and very large, so there isn’t really a reason to cut poorly like when trying to preserve weight. My vote is it’s real. But I’m as far from e pert as you could get haha

so I can’t say whether yours is real or not for sure, but I do think it’s worth it to send it to GIA or AGL. Fingers crossed for ya

Same here. My eBay sapphire ring turned out to be real but it was so clean that two local gemologists couldn’t tell.

OP: Since you're back today seeking guidance on another possible pink sapphire, can you update us on your findings on this one? TIA

OP: Since you're back today seeking guidance on another possible pink sapphire, can you update us on your findings on this one? TIA

I found that it's much harder to find a local gemologist to check out stones than I thought it would be! Only one person, of the dozen or so I emailed, emailed me back, and I haven't been able to make an appointment yet! Hopefully this coming week (fingers crossed)!

Thanks for following up. Since I love happy endings, I'm rooting for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results