carat
color
clarity

Please help evaluate heart cut diamond

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I had recently had a hold on a FLY heart of a similar cut but it sold. Found this diamond with an almost identical cut and proportions. I am uncertain of the IGI report and the brown modifier. But the cut and proportions are pleasing to my eye. I am prioritizing cut and size then clarity and color. Apologies if the link is entered incorrectly.

Thank you and would appreciate your opinions @Karl_K , @yssie, @tyty333, @Autumn in New England

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/heart-cut/2.71-carat-k-color-si1-clarity-sku-20962110

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think with some of these fancy cuts you need to just buy with your eyes. If you find the cut and color then I'd go for it. I personally don't care for "splintery" cuts, but I like how lively it is and I like the color!

@lovedogs is absolutely right... sometimes with fancy cuts, and especially heart cuts, what your eyes actually see is more important than the numbers. This guy is chubby at a 1.16 ratio. Other than that, everything looks great. No "mush" at all in the center... nice sharp defined pavilion facets through the table. Table % is in the excellent range at 59 for a heart. Likewise is the depth % at 59.8. Did you grab it? Looks like it's gone. :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it has nice light return (and limited mushy areas). If you were looking for a "white" stone I'm not sure if this would do it
for you but if you dont mind some slight tint then it would probably be ok.

I agree with seeing it in person and seeing if it strikes your fancy!

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs is absolutely right... sometimes with fancy cuts, and especially heart cuts, what your eyes actually see is more important than the numbers. This guy is chubby at a 1.16 ratio. Other than that, everything looks great. No "mush" at all in the center... nice sharp defined pavilion facets through the table. Table % is in the excellent range at 59 for a heart. Likewise is the depth % at 59.8. Did you grab it? Looks like it's gone. :)

Thank you. I think your heart halo ring is gorgeous. Your thread on the search for a heart cut diamond is very educational.
I have it on hold. My uncertainty is due to the brown modifier. I have heard that brown tinted diamonds are lifeless. The IGI report is questionable to me. How consistent is their grading? How do they compare to GIA?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I think your heart halo ring is gorgeous. Your thread on the search for a heart cut diamond is very educational.
I have it on hold. My uncertainty is due to the brown modifier. I have heard that brown tinted diamonds are lifeless. The IGI report is questionable to me. How consistent is their grading? How do they compare to GIA?

Absolutely not true about brown tint! Very very dark brown maybe because it would affect light return, but that's not the case here. Diamond "life" is all about cut, not color (unless it's crazy dark or black).

IGI is often "softer" on color than gia, so it might be a color grade off. My amateur guess is that gia would call it L color, slight brown.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it has nice light return (and limited mushy areas). If you were looking for a "white" stone I'm not sure if this would do it
for you but if you dont mind some slight tint then it would probably be ok.

I agree with seeing it in person and seeing if it strikes your fancy!

Thank you. I am actually seeking a warmer diamond to set in yellow or rose gold. If this doesn’t work out I have my eye on a more conventional diamond.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Absolutely not true about brown tint! Very very dark brown maybe because it would affect light return, but that's not the case here. Diamond "life" is all about cut, not color (unless it's crazy dark or black).

IGI is often "softer" on color than gia, so it might be a color grade off. My amateur guess is that gia would call it L color, slight brown.

Thank you that is a relief to learn.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you. I am actually seeking a warmer diamond to set in yellow or rose gold. If this doesn’t work out I have my eye on a more conventional diamond.

Light brown stones go with yellow gold very well.
Haven't seen one in person in rose gold but I think they would be ok.
If your looking for a light yellow look this is not it.

Aww thank you! I'm so glad it was helpful (to me too)!! Naturally, I'm familiar with IGI, but I run all of my diamonds through GIA if they're not already certified by them. IGI's notation of "faint brown" is foreign to me (as GIA does not comment on modifiers of white diamonds). The color is K, so as long as you are comfortable with that grade, I don't think there will be a problem. I suppose most white diamonds, as we go down the letter grade scale, have faint yellow. IGI seems to think this one is on the brown scale, so they felt it necessary to comment on that aspect. I suspect, as others have said, this will be nearly undetectable in person. Plus, most brown diamonds still have some warmth. Now if you're specifically looking for the candlelit glow of a faint yellow, that's another story. P.S. I'm setting my fancy brown diamond in rose gold. =)2

100% on all points...

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually prefer a brown tint over yellow and have a few. Not sure if these will help you but this stone is a GIA L with faint brown tint

cropped front view.jpg

And this is a GIA M with faint brown tint

DKPV2021___06__21____69050____Pendant_-3 copy.jpg

Aww thank you! I'm so glad it was helpful (to me too)!! Naturally, I'm familiar with IGI, but I run all of my diamonds through GIA if they're not already certified by them. IGI's notation of "faint brown" is foreign to me (as GIA does not comment on modifiers of white diamonds). The color is K, so as long as you are comfortable with that grade, I don't think there will be a problem. I suppose most white diamonds, as we go down the letter grade scale, have faint yellow. IGI seems to think this one is on the brown scale, so they felt it necessary to comment on that aspect. I suspect, as others have said, this will be nearly undetectable in person. Plus, most brown diamonds still have some warmth. Now if you're specifically looking for the candlelit glow of a faint yellow, that's another story. P.S. I'm setting my fancy brown diamond in rose gold. =)2

Chiming in to add that GIA also notates if a stone has a brown tint once it hits a K colour grade. I believe it shows up as “K, faint brown”.

Source: https://4cs.gia.edu/en-us/blog/bravo-brown-diamonds/

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_2916.jpeg I was slow ordering the diamond due to a health scare and someone had it on hold. I ordered it as soon as their hold expired and it came today.
Hand shots are in a light brown room sitting in a black chair six feet from a covered window. Outdoor shots are in a shaded yard with the gem lid on in the box. I would have freaked if I dropped it outside. Please pardon the shaking. I have extensive nerve damage.

Thoughts, please?
IMG_2918.jpeg IMG_2903.jpeg

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_2916.jpeg
IMG_2916.jpeg I was slow ordering the diamond due to a health scare and someone had it on hold. I ordered it as soon as their hold expired and it came today.
Hand shots are in a light brown room sitting in a black chair six feet from a covered window. Outdoor shots are in a shaded yard with the gem lid on in the box. I would have freaked if I dropped it outside. Please pardon the shaking. I have extensive nerve damage.

Thoughts, please?
IMG_2918.jpeg IMG_2903.jpeg

Please pardon the dirty fingernails. Have been repotting orchids.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it. What do you think?

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like it. What do you think?

I think that it is a nice size for my hand. It has nice light return. It is eye clean to me and was heavily discounted due to the brown tint. I am not seeing tint. It looks like the picture outside. The dark area near the tip concerns me. Otherwise, I like it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
How is the sparkle?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cant see the videos...can everyone else see them?

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I cant see the videos...can everyone else see them?

The video is the full hand shot. If you touch the picture, it asks if you want to proceed then plays the video. At least, that is how it works on my mobile. Please excuse me. This is the first time that I have used imgur and am not aware of its futures plus am worse than the amish when it comes to technology. In fact, I saw an amish roofer using a debit card before I decided to get one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results