shape
carat
color
clarity

Possible Peter Torraca Aqua

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 8/10/2009 6:59:19 PM
Author: cellentani
Date: 8/10/2009 4:17:30 PM

Author: vizsla

so, after your garnet was set, were you happy with the setting?? even after the prong snafu?

i do really like that setting. would you recommend upgrading the diamonds?

why do i find it so hard to navigate thru LOGR settings??
3.gif

so this one is similar.. but it's for an oval.. generally speaking, is there any way this could be modified for my stone without costing an arm and a leg... i can take it if you think not
2.gif
I am still happy with the setting - it's quite a 'wow' setting, and with a colored stone, it certainly doesn't look e-ring-ish. The prong snafu is STILL being worked out - I just walked in the door from having taken it back to the jewelers. However, I wouldn't be too alarmed over my ring issues - it was a tougher stone to set (9 sided), and it was the designer who tried to set it, not the usual benchman.

I have upgraded the diamonds on every LOGR setting I have, and I will probably continue to do so. If I were to do that setting again, I would be tempted to upgrade the gold too, but some people would argue that it's all rhodium plated, so there would be no visable difference. I can only say that my 18k setting looks whiter and less gray than my 14k settings. I just wonder if that makes a slight difference in how the diamonds look too. I'll also say that LOGR can sometimes be a little inconsistant with their quality, but in my experience, they've always been willing to accept a return, minus any non-refundable fees, of course.

When searching LOGR auctions, I click on 'see other auctions' so their entire inventory comes up. Then I type either a shape (cushion, round, etc) or a size (8mm or 7x9mm, etc) into the search bar. Occasionally, a size might be listed as 10x10mm, instead of just 10mm, so keep that in mind.

I like that oval setting, and have it in my saved file. Funny thing is, notice how the halo is round, but the basket is oval - there's more space between the basket and halo on the east/west sides. Anyway, I think I asked them about customizing the shape once, and I think they could do it, but it would have cost a lot. Also, if you see the profile of that setting, it's very low, and your cushion might be too deep. Any of these questions are worth asking - I ask a lot, and he's usually pretty good about getting back to me in a day or two.

Okay, I'll stop jabbering on now.
20.gif

gah.... OK, i clearly do not know anything about setting stones... i wouldn't have ever thought about the depth of the stone. i'm going to troll thru the site again and come back with my top three... i may start a new thread and, if you are up for the challenge, will you all come back and help me ask the right questions - or steer me in the right direction?.. my luck would be to fall in love with a setting only to find out that it's never going to work - story of my life :)
2.gif

hello again!
well after going back and forth with setting and discussing with hubby - we both decided something like the attached would be perfect for my little aqua. however, i''m having a tough time finding something similar that is a ''stock'' setting (this one is etienne perret). so i''m coming back to the experts for help
2.gif
- i also took some killer pictures of my little stone this weekend.. i''ll post asap.

HighHaloMarqPlat.preview.jpg

Vizsla - I have looked for plain stock bezel settings for Asschers before and they are beyond difficult to find.

The only one I've seen lately is this one - http://www.engagement-ring-mountings.com/ring_settings_info_1567.htm#more_pictures

I would imagine they could customize it for you, but my local jeweler did my Scapolite setting for $600 even in 14k white gold, so just know, you can negotiate with a trusted jeweler. They're pretty desperate for business right now, and if they've ever done any bezel work for you before, even reset a pair of earrings, you can tell if the finished product is going to be worth it or not.

Lovely!!!!!!

gah! so it''s not just me ;) beeeaaaauuutttiiifffuuullll setting!

i *wish* we had a local jeweler, we don''t.

i was thinking about checking out julia kay taylor on etsy - the more and more i look at katiedid''s ring, the more i luuvvvv it... i wonder how much her custom work is??

Date: 9/18/2009 10:18:05 AM
Author: vizsla
gah! so it''s not just me ;) beeeaaaauuutttiiifffuuullll setting!

i *wish* we had a local jeweler, we don''t.

i was thinking about checking out julia kay taylor on etsy - the more and more i look at katiedid''s ring, the more i luuvvvv it... i wonder how much her custom work is??
I would actually start with JKT - her bezel work looks lovely, and I bet she could come up with an amazing design for that beauty! Oh, and I''d email her to get in line. Apparently us PSers have kept her very busy.
6.gif

i went back and forth so much with this stone - and we''re getting down to the wire ;) not that it HAS to be finished before october, but maybe by christmas.... i''ll email her and see what the status is... i think her bezels are just beautiful.. plus a full bezel will help darken up the stone a bit.

it''s so hard to ''give up'' diamonds with this aqua (a girl can never have too many, ya know? ;).. but DH is so sentimental about my er - he''s of the opinion that other diamond rings may ''take away'' from the specialness of my er. when he finally ''fessed up to me about his reservations re: a diamond halo etc. i knew the route i wanted to go next. i''ve love that etienne (and whitney boin) settings for so long.. however, the stone doesn''t really justify spending that $$$ on just the setting.

i''ll be checking back with updates!

I really like your idea of doing a Bezel setting. I think that it may make the aqua look really cool. And I LOVE the EP setting you posted. Have you checked with BGD about doing a bezel? Or JKT?

Let us know what they say. Please
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP