shape
carat
color
clarity

Proper use of ASET scope

LCS

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I have purchased a handheld ASET scope. I understand the premise of the tool - but, there are no instructions included with the scope. IE. must the stone be even with the bottom of the scope? If it should be even with the bottom, does that mean the pavilion or the table? I did buy a kit which includes a lucite stone holder. As I was playing around with it, I wondered if there is a 'maximum' size that the scope is accurate with. IE. A larger carat stone would be taller - so would the light that that enters the stone be affected by that height?

I also wonder about the use of the scope on cuts like emerald. I'm guessing since the scope's purpose is to make it easier for a person to understand the intensity of the light returned through the 'color coding' (red, green, white....) it would be appropriate to use on cuts other than round?

Finally, I wonder if there is a 'key' or other tool for colored stones.

Thanks for any comments. I am new to the forum, so correct me if this is posted in the wrong area or if there are other technical references that I should be looking at. I have a feeling that my questions will shout how ignorant I am about gems and tools of the trade.

LCS

@oldminer Thank you! So I think based on rereading that webpage that I should think of its use (implementing the suggested use guidelines on the website) like that of using a loupe. IE. There is no size limit to the stone, no 'perfect' place to hold the stone in the cone, can be used on fancy cuts..... Appreciate the feedback from the expert. I am thrilled to be experimenting with my new tool.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP