shape
carat
color
clarity

PS appraisers with Idealscope/Sarin/Firescope?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zeiss

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I''m looking for a respectable PS appraiser in the US for a 2nd opinion on a diamond to finalize a purchase. Can someone recommend a pricescope appraiser equipped with idealscope/sarin/firescope technologies who can also provides his/her unbias opinions on a stone?

What other information do I need besides idealscope/sarin in order to make a sound decision?

Thanks!

Zeiss

There are several excellent appraisers who contribute here but I''ve been very pleased with Neil Beaty. He has the desktop ASET not firescope though - better than a firescope
2.gif

Zeiss,

I don't know that you need more than an ASET to make a sound cut based decision...and the 3 appraisers most active on this board...Rich in Florida, Denver in Denver, and Jeff in MA...have this, or something very like it. Rich & Denver have more...and in the last several years, the appraisers tools at the upper right, under resources, have been expanded extensively to document what appraisers use. Generally...they don't have enough...and I understand that based on their ordinary fee schedule, it's not reasonable that they do.

These 3 guys can be beaten up here. They post here. They're probably worth going the distance to reach them. With others...or really everybody...call in advance, and tell them what you want before you go there, so you won't be disappointed. Otherwise, and also...read several threads about appraisers under the FAQs section, here.

Regards,

Don't forget AGA that Dave who still contributes retired from. They're also a good firm.

One thing that I like about Neil is that he seems like a "tough" but fair grader - I've never had something come back higher color or clarity than what GIA said, and a significant part of the time it's one grade lower on one. If something is borderline I feel like he'll let me know.

Elmo, I have a great appreciation for Dave, and hope he posts here forever, but I understand he doesn''t have a practice whereby he sees individual clients currently, and the folks who took over AGA don''t post here...and frankly...have unknown practices to me with respect to reflector technologies (actually, past posts suggest they may not favor them)...which we seem to be thinking a lot of here these days.

Date: 12/12/2008 10:47:15 AM
Author:zeiss
Hello,

I''m looking for a respectable PS appraiser in the US for a 2nd opinion on a diamond to finalize a purchase. Can someone recommend a pricescope appraiser equipped with idealscope/sarin/firescope technologies who can also provides his/her unbias opinions on a stone?

What other information do I need besides idealscope/sarin in order to make a sound decision?

Thanks!

Zeiss
This article may be of interest.
http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/58/1/%e2%80%9cAppraise-the-Appraiser%e2%80%9d---Help-for-Consumers.aspx

You need to make your screen wide or the bio photos and names funkify. Although that does make Neil quite pretty. Amazing what SoLux can do for a guy.

Also... Cool screen name. ''Zeiss'' makes diamond grading loupes, including a ''proportions loupe'' that was one of the forerunners of today''s Ideal-Scope and ASET approaches to performance grading.

I want to cooperate with non-self promotion, so PLEASE do NOT consider this begging or promoting for work.

AGA, my old firm, still actively does the work you want, but with IS, ASET and Sarin only. If they get work requiring Light Behavior measuremen or DIamCalc I handle it for them. I still also, actively do Internet work for consumers, but would not have posted this unless the wrong information was being distributed.

Chris DiCamillo, AGA''s new boss, simply does not spend as much of his day on the Internet as I do. He is busy and with business so slow, they are working harder with fewer on staff. I have more time and more to say, I suppose. I have used parametric tools such as AGA Cut Class, DiamCalc-Sarin, IS, ASET for considerable time and also have ImaGem Direct Assessment of Light Behavior technology in my new office.

If you look over the Pennsylvania appraisers listed on Pricescope, you will see what each of us in PA offer. The other appraisers mentioned all are super guys and all of us want to make consumers informed and pleased.

Apologies for my having shared some misinformation, as I have apparently done. Being around a long time has both its benefits and downfalls. For example, I thought I recalled Dave being in a non-compete situation, meaning he was not doing this work, so if others may have misunderstood as I have done, consider this message an accidental benefit to others who may be interested in giving him a jingle, but were likewise confused. Dave's not mentioning this history when he could have could suggest I'm psychotic and it was never the case, or that he is not allowed to share this history, and I'm betting the latter is not correct, but unless this is made clearer, I can only guess.

Regarding the past, I don't' like to have to go digging where I don't have to, but in this thread, fifth post from the bottom on page 2, AGA did disappoint Kevin Raja. It was a pretty long time ago, but it happened under Dave's stewardship, and I did feel responsible, since I recommended to Kevin that he hike out to Philly from DC to get the requested services, and his disappointment was my surprise, that I'd hate to visit on anyone again.

I do see Mr. Jordan is still with AGA, and if they have a different philosophy now about reflector technologies...I'm sure they can come on and tell us. I don't know how they run their shop otherwise.

In another post, Dave, I recall defended the fact that he hires different people with different philosophies, and let them do as they will. This is fine, and I'd rather not chase this thread down. In any case...the idea just supports my current recommendation...that anybody seeking an appraiser should ask in advance for what they expect, so as not to be disappointed.

(edited to add...) ho ho ho...sorry as this is not I guess offered in the holiday spirit...but you may have missed the note, Dave, and would like an opportunity to respond...but there is this recent post as well, as regard your current practices...so maybe you can help us understand when you think it is helpful to use options like an IS and such.

Regards, really,

I HIGHLY recommend, Rich Sherwood with Sarasota Gemological Lab : http://www.sarasotagemlab.com/

I have met with him in person and shipped diamonds to him in the past and he is top notch. Very professional, unbiased, and thorough in his assessment. He also posts frequently on this forum. I will be meeting with him in a few weeks to do another appraisal too.

I don''t want to hijack the thread to another topic. I know a lot about the various tools, programs and technologies available for light analsysis and I use ones which are right for the particular task. They are not all equal, but support consumer decision making in positive ways. Every one of these tools, technologies and programs are useful in their own ways. Of course, I have my favorites but I don''t impose them as the only solution to anyone.

Now that I have no employees, I do appraisals as much for self-satisfation as for the client. Methodical, a bit slower than at one time and thorough. No matter how one does appraisals there is always the chance for a consumer to be mishandled or misinformed. This is part of life and we try to get past problems when they happen. Thankfully, problems rarely occur. I don''t compete with my old firm and often recommend AGA because people in center city don''t generally come out to the suburbs. I have no formal non-compete issue, but because I want Chris and AGA to succeed and continue, I try to use good judgment by gently competing fairly. I treat my old office and staff as valued friends, not competitors. Truthfully, I treat the other Pricescope appraisers in much the same way. It is a big pie and a little slice is fine for me.
36.gif
36.gif

I never hold a grudge and get over bad stuff qucikly...........................
31.gif
30.gif

I used Chris from AGA and he was fantastic I really enjoyed working with him and I was happy with the appraisal and he told me what I needed to know buying almost sight unseen from OS and I would use him again in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP