shape
carat
color
clarity

PS jewelry speak that isn''t exactly what your jeweler may know...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 9:12:36 AM
Author: Maisie
When I was working in one of the UK''s largest high street jewellers I was talking to one of my colleagues about the prongs on my ring. She asked what a prong is. When I explained I was told its not a prong its a claw!
20.gif

The jeweller there was really grumpy. One day I was asking him about the different alloys in platinum. He got really mad with me and said ''Nobody cares. Why are you asking such stupid questions.. platinum is just platinum!''

I guess he just didn''t know.
Been there Maisie! Read the book, got the sweatshirt. I''m apalled at the lack of knowledge, but I guess if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. No disrespect to the monkeys, they don''t know any better.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
This thread reminds me of an experience I had with a B&M store a few years ago. I was looking at diamond rings and the assistant was more than happy to show them to me and let me try them on. Something in the back of my head says that the one I was interested in was a Tacori, but I wouldn''t stake my life on it, definitely a designer brand though. It might have been Simon G or Scott Kay.

Anyway, it was a pear with sidestones, reasonable size - but I don''t remember how big exactly, but cost more than Mr Gailey was ever likely to pay so it got cast to the back of my mind. However, I do remember asking the sales assistant which lab had certified the diamond and could I see the certificate. Well, she looked at me as if I was from Mars and asked me what I meant by "certified". Then she piped up, "Oh, I''m not sure it''s a Canadian diamond".

Nuff said .......

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 8:53:25 PM
Author: Feralpenchant

Date: 3/29/2009 8:51:18 AM
Author: ZoeBartlett

Date: 3/29/2009 12:58:16 AM
Author: coatimundi
I''m noticing lately that jewelers don''t use the term ''halo.''

Yellow gold is just ''gold.''
If jeweler''s don''t use the term ''halo,'' what do they say instead?

When I went and said I was interested in a halo, they had no idea what I was talking about. Apparently, they call it a ''frame''.

Looks like a halo to me!
frame?? weird. At least it''s better than donut. I''m sorry, but nothing about diamonds or jewelry should involve the word donut
6.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Weird! I totally didn''t know that halo was a PS-specific term (or at least not used by most jewelers). I''ve been to three jewelry stores in Chicago now. One is fantastic in service, atmosphere, etc. and do good setting work. Unfortunately I''ve heard a couple comments to buying couples that bothered me (GIA is the best cert available, can''t go wrong with any GIA diamond, EGL is also fine, etc.). The second jeweler, who I go to now, looks like crap. Really, I would hesitate to buy from there because the store is dark, cramped, the displays don''t look great, but they have one of the best reps in the city - and in broaching diamond talk, they knew what AGS triple 0 diamonds were, carried them, etc. The other jewelers, the one I don''t go to regularly for setting but I would go to in a heartbeat for buying a diamond, were simply wonderful. Knew about PS. Carries AGS, H&A and Infinity diamonds. EXTREMELY knowledgeable. Great atmosphere and service. So it varies I think.

Both the first and second jewelers, however, needed me to clarify what I meant by "claw" prongs though
3.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
My jeweler and his associates arer up to date in their diamond knowledge and are willing to listen to information about IS and such. They would have to be to deal with me
9.gif
Last time I has there, the owner said that he had a 6ct OEC he wanted me to see. It was gorgeous, but very pricey
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results