Question on GIA ExExEx

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1305088417|2918197 said:
Owies Nana|1305052485|2917559 said:
Neither of these photos is mine.

Mine is the third IS picture.

I know honey! I was just poking at Yssie some more.

And.. fish, bait.

:oops: :halo:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1305063234|2917762 said:
Dreamer_D|1305051425|2917542 said:
Yssie|1304991164|2916914 said:
Face on photo could even be sufficient for both, wouldn't recommend going by numbers though:

both 33.5/40.6/58

And they are both GIA Ex with HCA under 2?

I like a face up photo for this reason, you can tell a lot.

Yeah, I like those examples - numbers on both are virtually identical and yet.. :-o

Doesn't fit the GIA EX + HCA criteria - First one is one of my old stones GIA VG cut, depth 60.3, bottom depth 60.1 - can't find the original thread to see if it had GIA or AGS report..
ETA: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/opinion-on-idealscope-image-please.55984/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/opinion-on-idealscope-image-please.55984/[/URL]
Apparently GIA EX report, facetware vg (2007)

I asked because I am personally looking for shortcuts so that it is not always necessary to tell posters to get IS imaged. Like, for me, AGS0 is enough information, unless someone is looking for a super-louper. GIA Ex + HCA 2>

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1305088598|2918199 said:
Face on photo could even be sufficient for both, wouldn't recommend going by numbers though:

both 33.5/40.6/58

Yeah, I like those examples - numbers on both are virtually identical and yet.. :-o

Doesn't fit the GIA EX + HCA criteria - First one is one of my old stones GIA VG cut, depth 60.3, bottom depth 60.1 - can't find the original thread to see if it had GIA or AGS report..
ETA: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/opinion-on-idealscope-image-please.55984/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/opinion-on-idealscope-image-please.55984/[/URL]

I asked because I am personally looking for shortcuts so that it is not always necessary to tell posters to get IS imaged. Like, for me, AGS0 is enough information, unless someone is looking for a super-louper. GIA Ex + HCA quote]

I think yssie linked me to a post once of a 2>

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1305088908|2918204 said:
Dreamer_D|1305088598|2918199 said:

both 33.5/40.6/58

I asked because I am personally looking for shortcuts so that it is not always necessary to tell posters to get IS imaged. Like, for me, AGS0 is enough information, unless someone is looking for a super-louper. GIA Ex + HCA quote]

I think yssie linked me to a post once of a quote]

I suppose there are expections to any rule... I would like to see that link if Ms. Yssie comes back! What bait should we use this time? A DBTY bracelet?

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for contributing to the discussion. The stone is being delivered by FEDEX later this morning. I will take some pictures and post them later.

Then, I will have to get some advice on the setting...IF I decide it's a keeper. :appl:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Owies Nana|1305091075|2918221 said:
Thank you all for contributing to the discussion. The stone is being delivered by FEDEX later this morning. I will take some pictures and post them later.

Then, I will have to get some advice on the setting...IF I decide it's a keeper. :appl:

so exciting!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Owies - :appl: Can't wait to hear what you think!

Dreamer, slg - no bait needed, funnily enough :rodent:
I think this may be the thread you mean? - [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-should-i-bite.144057/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-should-i-bite.144057/[/URL]

A quick look through JA produced these:
Shallow - http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1336965.asp
Wonky symmetry - http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1303447.asp
(I have to say again how much I love JA's new setup, the inventory is so easy to use and there's so much to learn there!)

On the whole - I would agree that if they're not looking for super duper loupers the GIA EX + HCA standard or just AGS0 w/ ASET scan is sufficient to have a stone called in/shipped out, assuming a good return policy - the wonky ones aren't plentiful. The lab rat in me is cringing from the idea of recommending anything but the whole nine yards!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My recut is not a perfect H&A so I will be able to see how I feel about it as compared with my other H&A stones. But I agree with Dreamer that it is really good to be able to tell people that a stone looks good enough to order with an AGS0 report or GIA + HCA <2. I mean, my daughter's diamond was not an ACA, but there is no possible way to look at that diamond next to an ACA and tell the difference. So even though I have perfectionist tendencies for my own purchases, I am not sure that is always the best advice for everyone who comes here looking for a diamond. Although, it is by far the easiest to tell them to buy the signature H&A stones at the top vendors!

Nana...I really can't wait to see your pictures!!!! :appl:

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Here you go! The first pictures of the 4.34 I am inspecting....

case1.jpg

Hand1.jpg

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Here are the specs and another photo.

GIA Report #: 5111897163
4.35 carats
L Vs2
Cut EX
Table: 58%
Depth: 60.4%
Crown Angle: 34.0 degrees
Pavillion Angle: 41.0 degrees
Polish: Ex
Symmetry: Ex
Fluorescence: None

One of the earlier comments about the photo "hiding" some issues with the stone has me weirded out, as this is a very special purchase, and I would like it to be as perfect as it can be. My own IS kit has not been delivered yet (it will be tomorrow or Friday), so I haven't louped it yet or been able to view an IS image other than the one I received from the vendor. Many thanks to the poster who gave the heads up on how to view a large stone using the IS.

But I am wondering if the stone is (gasp!) "too big" ... :-o :shock: ...if I will be uncomfortable wearing it ... :oops: ... or if I will grow into it over time. :cheeky:

I would love some additional feedback from PSers, now that I have the stone in my hands with the option of keeping it, and you have the specs and some photos. :D

Thank you to all of you who have added to my diamond education: now I am more hooked on these sparklers than ever!!!!!!!!! :love: :love: :love:

Flower1.jpg

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Pardon the bump...

I have six days left for my inspection period...and am still hoping for some feedback on this stone now that I have posted all the specs.

Would you buy it...or is there something else out there you would spend your $$$S for?

austere

Rough_Rock
what is the price point on that 4ct stone?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are happy with the size, colour, clarity, I'd snatch it up - a well cut stone at that size is definitely something special, and from your info and IS it looks like a nice find :sun:

Those pics are :love:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1305246020|2920155 said:
If you are happy with the size, colour, clarity, I'd snatch it up - a well cut stone at that size is definitely something special, and from your info and IS it looks like a nice find :sun:

Those pics are :love:

Ditto this! I would consider this one strongly given how hard this size and cut quality is to come by.

As to the "too big" issue, we can't help you out there ;)) I think that baby nurse in the Show me the Bling forum has a similar thread about her new rock and some of the comments might help you decide!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Owies Nana|1305140441|2918844 said:
One of the earlier comments about the photo "hiding" some issues with the stone has me weirded out, as this is a very special purchase, and I would like it to be as perfect as it can be.

What comment was that? I don't think I saw one saying that. The IS image is not perfect because the stone is too big for the IS 8) taking that into account I thought the IS image looked good and others seemed to agree.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Jim Summa|1305051114|2917532 said:
I agree with what stone-cold mentions, it is likely that the image was taken with the stone too high in the ideal-scope. It is easy to do because the stone’s a little larger than what is commonly seen, at 4 cts.

To take a IS-image, the girdle of the stone needs to be level with the base of the ideal-scope. If one does not adjust the base, a bigger stone sticks out higher into the ideal-scope and it has an effect on the image. On the one side, the black areas of obstruction could become bigger than in a properly taken image. On the other hand, areas of light leakage might be hidden. In other words, it would be best to shoot again to make sure it is what it is.

This is the posting that made me worried. Hopefully my IS kit will arrive today (it didn't yesterday :(( ) and I will get to view it myself to be "sure it is what it is." If I can figure out how to get a good picture with my camera and the IS, I will post it.

And I will definitely check out baby nurse's thread to read the discussion about stone size. If I find myself comfortable, then I need to start another thread asking PSers input about which settings you LOVE for a big stone and why you love them. :love: :D

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ON, you have the stone in front of you, so take it into different lighting environments and check that it is lively accross different lighting. No dead spots. Hold it different distances from your face and see if it goes overly black.

But honestly, given its GIA Ex and HCA score, actually looking at it and deciding how you feel is by far the best test at this point.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Dreamer D. What do you think of the inclusion?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Owies Nana|1305338097|2921368 said:
Thanks, Dreamer D. What do you think of the inclusion?

1. What are the inclusions? Looks like crystals, maybe? Post inclusion plots or link to report.

2. Can you see the inclusions? From how far away, from face up, from the side? Does it bother you? Does it bother you enough to dislike the stone, or is it a fleeting "I wish they weren't visible, but oh well" fancy?

You have the stone in-hand, and you're buying to satisfy your own eyes, so you're by far the best judge of how it looks - inclusions included ;))

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
I hope this picture can show you the cloud I mentioned. I was told it is entirely eye clean, but I can't see anything close up any more!

Would it cause a "dead spot" in the light return?

gia4.34.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't see the plot and am having trouble reading the report number, can you just post the report number?

Normally I'd say - VS2 - no problem w/ inclusions affecting durability/performance. But given the size of your stone and the - well, opacity of clarity grading in the trade and trend toward being more forgiving of inclusions in larger stones, I'm hesitant to say anything flat out. Hopefully a trade member will see this and opine on the general case.

In your *specific* case though - as I said earlier, either you can see the inclusions, or dullness that is the result of pervasive clouds/wisps, or you can't. If you can't don't worry about it, if you can you need to decide how much it bothers you. To find out if you do see a difference clean the stone thoroughly (dirt - even a little on the pavilion - can visibly alter light return) - soak in soapy water, rinse thoroughly and dry so that there aren't any water spots, then compare with another stone that you know doesn't have issues w/ dullness b/c of clouds, etc. - or you can have an independent appraisal done if you want independent confirmation and reassurance, which for a stone of that value is frankly the best idea all 'round.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
I couldn't get the inclusion plot online from GIA's "verify the report", but perhaps you know a backdoor way to get it? I have hard copy and e-copy. The cloud is at about 9 o'clock on the inclusion plot near the edge of the table. I have found that pressing on my laptop screen with my finger makes the inclusions in the e-copy verson more visible on my screen.

GIA Report #: 5111897163
4.35 carats
L Vs2
Cut EX
Table: 58%
Depth: 60.4%
Crown Angle: 34.0 degrees
Pavillion Angle: 41.0 degrees
Polish: Ex
Symmetry: Ex
Fluorescence: None

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, yes, I would be surprised to learn that that concentrated cloud/crystal combo area would affect light return to the point of creating a large dull area(s) of diamond, esp in a VS2. Visibility is a different issue - your eyes are your best tools for that one.

Attachments

• 202334_xlarge.pdf
    126 KB · Views: 54

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
In that case I shouldn't worry about even "visible" inclusions...I can't see ANYTHING that small any more! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, it doesn't look like it has any areas of dullness. I had it out tonight looking at it under dim light, and it is amazing to look at there, and in the bright sunlight, it just throws out sparkles and fire in every direction. :love:

And I love the warmth of it. Against my other, colorless stones, it has a character all of its own. It just looks softer, less "edgy", if you know what I mean, but still able to hold its own with my other stones in a warmer, more gentle way.

Sounds like I want to keep it.

Sounds like I could learn something from it.

Perhaps it will be a good influence on me.... 8)

What do you think?

Isn't anyone here going to try to talk me out of it? ;-) ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You would see us trying to talk you out of it if the cut was not excellent! :)) But since is appears to be a very well cut stone, there really isn't anything negative to say! I would have never guessed the color because it faces up so nice and white! But that is what a good cut does for a diamond. So I'd say if you are comfortable with the size of the stone, then you have found a great one!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Owies Nana|1305427897|2922093 said:
In that case I shouldn't worry about even "visible" inclusions...I can't see ANYTHING that small any more! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, it doesn't look like it has any areas of dullness. I had it out tonight looking at it under dim light, and it is amazing to look at there, and in the bright sunlight, it just throws out sparkles and fire in every direction. :love:

And I love the warmth of it. Against my other, colorless stones, it has a character all of its own. It just looks softer, less "edgy", if you know what I mean, but still able to hold its own with my other stones in a warmer, more gentle way.

Sounds like I want to keep it.

Sounds like I could learn something from it.

Perhaps it will be a good influence on me.... 8)

What do you think?

Isn't anyone here going to try to talk me out of it?
;-) ;-)

Hah! Not likely :bigsmile: It really does look and sound like a great find, and a great fit for what you're looking for :sun:

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
FINALLY, my IS and ASET scopes arrived today...just in time for me to make my decision to buy...or to return. Here are some of the ASET and IS images for the stone.

Please let me know what you think!!!!!!

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I still think it shows slight leakage under the table. But as others have suggested, it may not be noticeable in real life and it is hard to find well cut stones in this size.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results