shape
carat
color
clarity

Quotes for HW pave halo E-Ring! Leon v Steve Facets, JBEG,

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Quotes for HW pave halo E-Ring! Leon v Steve Facets, JB

Just a simple thing, but the term "custom" does not connote in any way that something is hand forged and fabricated. Many custom pieces are cast, which does not mean cast iron. It means each piece is made from a mould, which may be hand carved or machine made. And cast pieces can be made in components, like you describe, which are then put together by hand later. It is complex :twirl:

Let us know when their website is ready. I would like to see how they describe the making of their rings.

These issues have nothing to do with the beauty of your ring, and you don't need to explain why you did not choose Leon of Steven. Your ring is beautiful. But I am still curious to read/hear from the horses mouth whether the rings are hand made a la SK ands Leon and Canera.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Can someone find the Victor Canerra thread that shows the steps he takes to make a handmade piece? There is an entire thread that shows all the pics and steps to a handmade ring. Yael, custom doesn't describe the process of fabrication that is undertaken. And there is nothing wrong with CAD and CAST, in fact given recent technology advances for some designs it is a superior method of fabrication in terms of the finished product.

Victor is a master at handmade work however and has graciously documented his process for us in a thread... which someone will find.

In contrast CAD and CAM also results in pieces that must be welded together frequently. Here is a thread that shows one of my pieces, which was a CAD and CAST project, that was obviously hand assembled and finished. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/got-cads-of-band-want-opinions.153285/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/got-cads-of-band-want-opinions.153285/[/URL]

Both are good methods. I don't have any stake in what method Facets uses, but for future browsers and researchers I would like to clarify the differences in the methods. And also state that there is nothing WRONG with CAD and CAST. I have pieces that are handmade, and others that are cast. Both are lovely in their own way.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

OP - Your ring is lovely, and it is clear you love it, so good for you for finding a vendor to meet your needs! And you did great research to find a good pricepoint too.

As far as fabrication goes, my understanding is that the term "handmade" does not necessarily mean handforged or casting-free. As someone else has already said, individual parts can be cast and then hand-assembled, which could still qualify to some as handmade.

I'm having a custom setting made currently by Victor Canera, he seems to favor the terms "handforged" and "casting-free" to denote building a ring from scratch by a human doing the assembly work. (I hope this is a fair description.)

Knowing what I know now, I adore handforged. BUT, it does cost more and definitely is not the only option. How "great" it is depends on the eye of the beholder - what's important to someone and what they want in a piece. Personally, I love the idea that handforged links to the "old" way of making jewelry. But then I'm a lover of all kinds of antiques and that stuff really appeals to me. lol

Anne

PS - From the quotes posted in this thread, I think VC's prices are very good.

YaelMay

Rough_Rock

Hi All -

Thank you for the amazing feedback. I will say 1) truest remarks are the best. I did see a few rings on pricescope through my over 8 months of research which were to be honest, NOT beautiful or amazing, and at most I would call them "fair." It goes without saying, I WOULD NEVER COMMENT with those words to a woman who received her ring and be unkind about the elation hear heart, eyes, and fingers were experiencing (most importantly her soul). So for all those who have the courage to tell me that the ring is just "okay" I respect your opinion 100% and I THANK YOU for your unfiltered (although I'm sure its filtered) comments and being honest.

I wanted to clarify a point:

This ring is NOT:

• metal cast
    CAD
    form filled
    2 parts soldered together
    mass produced
    machine cut

The ring IS:

designed from scratch using Leon as benchmark
hand made
made from scratch
handforged
94% Like a Leon Mege (minus artistry)
94% Like Steve K (minus trained artistry)
94% Like Harry Winston (minus legacy and heritage)

I watched the process from
1) shank was formed with holes (decided 1.9 mm was way to small to put the 1 pt hidden diamong I wanted where shank meets crown)
2) halo was ironed out (debated whether to do open or closed) and made into circle with clawed prongs
3) stems were added separately to halo part with stems (stems are not yet paved)
4) I didn't like stems shape which were CONVEX, jeweler remade and reshaped stems to be concave
5) redid stems for 3rd time, because the angle of concave curve was not step enough and wanted the stems closer together at shank to meet MARTINI shape
6) pave was placed on halo (.7 pointers)
7) pave was TAKEN OUT OF HALO because I didn't like the look, edge looked like it had too much metal
8) halo was tilted 30 degrees facing AWAY from center diamond to reduce metal edge from eye view (I will post picture to demonstrate)
9) pave diamonds were reset into halo and shank and crown and shank were made into 1 piece
10) center stone was set (off square) for extra security
11) I cried when I saw the ring
12) jeweler almost cried when he finished with me and saw how little money he made and how much time he spent (I say this in part good humor)
13) Facets doesn't advertise custom work
14) Facets makes a LEON MEGE DREAM POSSIBLE at half the cost

Now all you ladies who have investment banker and cardiologist hubby, Facets and maybe VC gives us a chance to get incredible pieces of art (and better stones!) for greater value (a la lower price).

More pictures to come...

Sundial

Ideal_Rock

Well I for one do not care how this ring was made. I just think it is absolutely stunning in every way!!! And it is exactly what you wanted at a reasonable cost and who could not love that? Who knew Facets could produce such a masterpiece?! Please enjoy wearing this beauty and don't let anyone else make you second guess your decision to use them.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

LGK|1311358305|2974693 said:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hand-crafting-my-victor-canera-ring-from-scratch.155293/

This is it, Gypsy. That was the thread that convinced me to go with Victor for sure!

Thanks LGK.

Yael, Thank you for the clarification. It is always good to know the details so that when people ask about different vendors we can provide them with correct information.

You ring is lovely (and so are the wires...lol) and I am very happy for you!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Personally, I say who cares how the ring was made? This is Yael's ring thread, and we should not spoil her excitement with inappropriate or rude comments. She bought the ring, she is overjoyed with it, and it's truly a stunning piece!

luckky

Shiny_Rock

This is one of a very beautiful halo ring on PS! I think you did exactly what your heart tell you to do, take a risk and when the result pop your heart and made your heart sing that the most important thing! I love your ring :love: Enjoy with you beautiful bling!

NARRISHKEIT

Rough_Rock
Trade

YaelMay said:
Hi All -

Thank you for the amazing feedback. I will say 1) truest remarks are the best. I did see a few rings on pricescope through my over 8 months of research which were to be honest, NOT beautiful or amazing, and at most I would call them "fair." It goes without saying, I WOULD NEVER COMMENT with those words to a woman who received her ring and be unkind about the elation hear heart, eyes, and fingers were experiencing (most importantly her soul). So for all those who have the courage to tell me that the ring is just "okay" I respect your opinion 100% and I THANK YOU for your unfiltered (although I'm sure its filtered) comments and being honest.

I wanted to clarify a point:

This ring is NOT:

• metal cast
    CAD
    form filled
    2 parts soldered together
    mass produced
    machine cut

The ring IS:

designed from scratch using Leon as benchmark
hand made
made from scratch
handforged
94% Like a Leon Mege (minus artistry)
94% Like Steve K (minus trained artistry)
94% Like Harry Winston (minus legacy and heritage)

I watched the process from
1) shank was formed with holes (decided 1.9 mm was way to small to put the 1 pt hidden diamong I wanted where shank meets crown)
2) halo was ironed out (debated whether to do open or closed) and made into circle with clawed prongs
3) stems were added separately to halo part with stems (stems are not yet paved)
4) I didn't like stems shape which were CONVEX, jeweler remade and reshaped stems to be concave
5) redid stems for 3rd time, because the angle of concave curve was not step enough and wanted the stems closer together at shank to meet MARTINI shape
6) pave was placed on halo (.7 pointers)
7) pave was TAKEN OUT OF HALO because I didn't like the look, edge looked like it had too much metal
8) halo was tilted 30 degrees facing AWAY from center diamond to reduce metal edge from eye view (I will post picture to demonstrate)
9) pave diamonds were reset into halo and shank and crown and shank were made into 1 piece
10) center stone was set (off square) for extra security
11) I cried when I saw the ring
12) jeweler almost cried when he finished with me and saw how little money he made and how much time he spent (I say this in part good humor)
13) Facets doesn't advertise custom work
14) Facets makes a LEON MEGE DREAM POSSIBLE at half the cost

Now all you ladies who have investment banker and cardiologist hubby, Facets and maybe VC gives us a chance to get incredible pieces of art (and better stones!) for greater value (a la lower price).

More pictures to come...

Great detailed summary and I look forward to more pictures especially closeups of the underside of the ring and the profile.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Who said your ring is "Ok" Yael? I looked back, I think everyone said to was gorgeous. It is gorgeous. If you had not talked about price, and fabrication method, or compared it to other makers' work, I am sure no one else would have either.

I would of course not comment on the price or fabriacation or anything else, except that the OP has posted this thread explicitly about those issues, and mentions them many times including comparing her ring to other makers etc. So in this case, it bears comment, IMO, because this seems to be an educational type thread in RT.

Yael, perhaps start a thread in SMTB so that more people can see your ring and you can really enjoy sharing it unequivocally?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is beautiful! :love: So glad it turned out like you had hoped! I will have to say that I could not spend $8000 on a setting, either. I really did not know Leon and SK were charging that much for that setting.

YaelMay

Rough_Rock

luckky|1311393372|2975066 said:
This is one of a very beautiful halo ring on PS! I think you did exactly what your heart tell you to do, take a risk and when the result pop your heart and made your heart sing that the most important thing! I love your ring :love: Enjoy with you beautiful bling!

Thank you Lukky!! :wavey: Your words mean a lot to me!

whitneyc

Rough_Rock

I think it is absolutely beautiful and fantastic!! I think that not only receiving such a lovely ring, but being able to be such a huge part of the design and fabrication process is amazing! I think that is a great opportunity that you will be able to really cherish knowing you put your absolute heart into every detail of that ring. AND you saved 50%! THAT alone deserves a highfive!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats Yael!

Your ring is really gorgeous :love: And you clearly found the perfect jeweller for your project, I can't think of many that wouldn't balk at those sorts of requirements!

I do think there's more metal than the typical SK/Leon dainty halo offerings, but that's a GOOD thing IMO. Too delicate = asking for trouble. Victor Canera is a different creature, I think, from what we've seen on here - also beautiful and artistic pieces, but *sturdier*

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results