shape
carat
color
clarity

RE-SETS and... REASONS?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I've been thinking about this for awhile now.

I have been wondering if those of us who have done a re-set (or re-sets!
12.gif
) would like to discuss it. I'm sure there's a lot more to most re-set projects than mere frivolity (not that there's anything wrong with that -- as long as the kids still have shoes, right?!
2.gif
)

But seriously, learning from - and sharing - our experiences may help someone else in their own decision making.

OK, obviously I'll start.

My first set (as a TOTAL NEWBIE) was a wide 18K WG semi-mount by Uneek (purchased locally), lots of small "accent" stones. (It was also holding my first diamond, the 1.53 RB):

ringphoto2.jpg

What did I learn from this? Several things. I learned that I do NOT like WG. On me, it turns *yellowish* QUICKLY, which drove me half crazy. I also learned that I don't like really wide bands. I also did not like the prong shafts (bulky, squared, very "mall-store-stock-setting" looking) or how *high* the diamond was set (lots of airspace under the culet) ... but most of all, I felt like my diamond got *LOST* in that very busy setting.

* Re-set, Take 2:
Platinum shared prong set by WF w/ .05 ACAs in the w-ring and .03s in the e-ring. My first experience with online vendors, custom work, and ideal-cut baby H&A melee. (Still with the 1.53 RB):

Ontheweindowsill31205.jpg

A beautiful set, to be sure. Wore it for a couple of years. What did I learn from this setting? That online shopping for diamonds and settings is awesome -- better quality, better prices, better selection. Yay! For another thing, that I LOVE platinum. Also that I'm fussy about prong shafts; I want them thin and delicate, rounded, polished... and I love the center stone set low and "squatty".

On the down-side, I learned that the semi (less than half) eternity didn't work out so well for me, and that the spinning drove me nuts. The e-ring would spin one way, the w-ring another, and there'd be platinum showing at both ends. GAH!
40.gif
I liked the thinner bands, though, and knew I was on to something with that.

* Re-Set, Take 3:
The infamous
2.gif
fishtail pave set, made with <2 pointers, custom again from WF. (And in the meantime, I upgraded the center stone to the current 2.36 RB):

56YAY.jpg

I wore this set for over 3 years. I loved the narrower shanks of this set and the smaller melee. I loved the *shimmer* of the small stones... didn't really miss the "sparkle" of the larger melee from the shared prong set (and there WAS a difference!). I loved the 90% eternity which basically eliminated the spinning issues while still giving me resizing options (which I never needed, but I wanted to know I had).

But what I learned (after losing a melee stone very early on) was that it was not ultrasonic-safe, and because of that, I never felt like my center stone was really, truly clean. And this affected its performance and most importantly, my satisfaction with the big diamond. And THAT was a shame.

And also, like I mentioned in my newest reset thread, it bothered me that the melee stones performed differently than the center stone in various lighting environments. In bright sunlight, the center stone would go dark, the little melee would fire up. In my office, my center stone would be beautiful, but the little melee would go *dead*.
14.gif

I came to realize that I wanted my beautiful stone to take front and center stage, and do "all the talkin' " with no "competition". Which brings us to...

* Re-set, Take 4:
Simple, platinum, 4-claw-prong solitaire, and matching plain wedding ring; custom job by BGD:

LB_solitaire_reset_5.jpg

Obviously, I have only had this set a few days, but what I have learned so far is that I LOVE claw prongs and the even-thinner, more delicate shanks of each ring. (Slightly thinner than the fishtail pave). I LOVE the smooth, shiny, fluid, endless look of the plain platinum. I LOVE the fact that the center stone truly *POPS* now.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
It is BEAUTIFULLY CLEAN (
2.gif
) and it is the full focus of the set; there is nothing else to "compete" with it. When it's LIT UP, it's amazing all on its own; when it's "sleepy", it's sleepy alone.

I have learned something from each setting through the years, and enjoyed each one a little (or a lot) more than the one before it. But I LOVE this set, and it is so far, my favorite.

Will I change it again someday? Who knows? If I can afford to spend the money at the time and I want to, maybe... why not? So far I haven't had this set long enough to know if there will be any "negatives" for me about it. But if there are, I will continue to learn and take those into consideration when (and if) I ever do another re-set.

Honestly... I wonder about a 3-stone one day... or maybe a 6-prong solitaire. There are just so many beautiful settings out there! But one thing I do know is that I seriously doubt that I would ever again get a setting with small melee/pave stones again.

Now... anyone else wanna play????!
36.gif

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
We have to justify it now??
9.gif
11.gif

#1 - Reset a 5.8mm RB from 6 prong Tiffany to an illusion head and a step shank. Why: Make the stone look bigger, give it more protection i.e. lots of solid metal around it, and get a "vintage" look e-ring before it became fashionable and before there were any antique settings being produced.

#2 -- Reset an OEC diamond from a 6-prong Tiffany to a diamond halo mounting back in 2004-2005, when all of PS did that, lol.

#3 -- Reset a 1ct from a two tone wg/yg 6-prong Tiffany, into a vintage WG blingy wedding set, to get a vintage blingy wedding ring set.

#4 -- I bought some great vintage mountings secondhand on ebay and reset misc. smaller diamonds & gemstones into white metals because the YG mountings looked outdated, I had tired of YG, and I think that the whiter metals were more fashionable and also not complimentary to white diamonds.

#5 (potential) -- I might take that same 1ct out of the wedding set and set it in either a contemporary mounting, or an inexpensive halo mounting, to wear as an everyday RHR, since I am no longer married.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 4:54:05 PM
Author: HVVS
We have to justify it now??
9.gif
11.gif
Nope, absolutely not; participation is totally voluntary!
2.gif
And anyway, I don't feel a need to justify anything (just ask my husband!
11.gif
) -- just listing my own reasons and thought others may want to do the same.

And who knows? Might give someone something to think about and save them from making a setting mistake for themselves.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The very first setting I had that my DH proposed with was a 4 prong setting that was low set. I couldn't figure out why my 1 carat diamond looked small! Then I reset into a 6 prong setting that was also a bit higher than the 4 prong. And suddenly, my diamond popped and looked bigger! I realized that while 4 prong settings are beautiful, I really needed a 6 prong to make me feel like my diamond looked as big as it could.

I also realized I can't wear and don't like white gold. So the 6 prong reset was in yellow gold. But I now don't like yellow gold either. I missed the beautiful look of white metal. So for my current reset that I'm working on now, it will be in delicious platinum!
31.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
org set a wide 6-7mm two toned carved wedding band, ering was 4 tiny rubies and 3 tiny diamonds

christmas the year my 1st son was born, i got a .18ct round diamond probably H-I color maybe SI2

5th wedding anniversary i merged my ruby and diamond ring with my .18ct diamond, i reset them because i like them both and wanted them to be one ring

fast forward christmas of my 20th anniversary received my current 1 ct princess and ring wrap..hated the wrap

25th anniversay replaced the ring wrap with my current .75ct 5 stone ring, love it

I have actually done one reset, but I am seriously thinking about contacting Brian Gavin for a possible reset to have my princess and 5 stone merged to just one ring, i think i just want one ring to wear instead of 2.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
Fun thread!

My reset (my one and hopefully only!) was from a 6-prong to a full bezel. I've always loved bezels, and who doesn't love a setting that makes your diamond look bigger? I'm pretty rough on my hands, wear gloves at work, and never pictured having an e-ring that sat high. My husband proposed with a 6-prong solitaire and I fell head over heals for it. I love the look of a 6-prong, never ever thought I would until I had one on my finger!

But, after a couple years, my ring was really taking a beating. Prongs were bent, had deep scratches, and I was tired of it getting stuck in my hair, sweaters, etc.

So, dove in with WF and designed a full bezel

Am SO GLAD I did! I am absolutely in love with this ring, the stone is much lower, fires like crazy, looks bigger AND it sits flush with my wedding band (something that also drove me a little nutty about my 6-prong - it couldn't sit flush with a band).

Now my only issue is deciding if i want to continue wearing it with my current wedding band, or switching to a bezel eternity. I bought a "play" bezel eternity to try out for a while and so far really like it...but I really like my current band too! I think I'll just have to continue with the "play" one until I get tired of it - if I don't get tired of it, maybe I'll get a real one!

Will attach pics of 6prongs first, current wedding band (scattered band), then pics of the "play" bezel eternity....feel free to chime in on which band you think looks best!

I am a HUGE plain band lover...and thinking of just getting a plain 2mm band too...hmmmm...
20.gif

sixpkdc9.jpg

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
bezel reset with scattered band

scatterkdc9.jpg

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
bezel reset with "play" bezel eternity

bezelskcd9.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have different problems...and have only reset twice, but as many MANY Colored Stoners know, that's partially because I have about 8 "erings".

BUT my "real" ering has stayed my real ering. It's just had two different homes.

1.2ct blue to purple color shifting spinel, cut by Barry Bridgestock.

First setting FI picked out for me with the help of my BFF/MOH was a Vatche Royal Crown replica with a shank that was about 4mm at the top:
IMG_2952%20freke.jpg

Reasons I switched: Well, I had had something in mind from the getgo, and personally designed a setting to be made. Because FI ran out of time to have it made before he wanted to propose, he picked up something he thought I'd like. Honestly I would have preferred a 2mm 4 or 6 prong setting instead, just due to the fact that I don't like "thick" rings. And 4mm to me is thick.

Through some venting on PS, some wedding band window shopping and my general unease with the setting, we decided to reset and get someone to custom make exactly what I wanted...

Original photoshopped rings...
Lizzie%20ering%20la%20la%20la.jpg

Result from working with local bench jeweler (Linky):
IMG_4972%20freke.jpg

It is a split shank, it's got a 2mm shank, but it looks handmade, and not finished properly and therefore looks like its not well made. Plus instructions that were specifically given were not explicitly followed (huge wonky split shank, the shank is not domed or comfort fit, the ring size is not right--it's about a 7 and I had asked for a 6.25--the profile isn't right--it looks cut out instead of smooth and swoopy/liquidy, the 4 prongs on the sides take over the center stone, and make it look too oval-y, the prongs are too big which makes the stone look dark, the top and bottom prongs weren't finished properly and the stone looks kind of jammed in there, overall there is too much metal around the stone, and that results in me not being able to clean the stone properly, which is really a BIG PITA with a colored stone that can look dark in the setting, but then it looks grimy too) and as a result, I am unhappy with it.

Which is where I am now...picking apart the details of this ring, which I have never truly been happy with for multiple reasons, and am now contemplating a new DREAM reset. But that probably won't be coming into fruition for a while...

exoticisabella

Shiny_Rock
I am on my 6th (aaahhh!) reset....what I have learned....

Maul store diamonds SUCK!
I love my M color more than I ever loved my D
Hate 14k yellow gold and thought I would never love yellow gold
Hated white gold because it turned yellow quickly with my skin
Didn''t like melee diamonds because they fall out too easliy
LOVE LOVE LOVE the clean lines of my Vatche Royal Crown and it''s MATCHING band - I will forever love Wink for showing me these!
I have moods where I love colored stones with it and where I don''t (one of my settings was with colored stones)- so DH is buying me a ruby (my birthstone) and diamond ring for x-mas that I can stack with my set or remove from my set if I wish.
Last - my ideal diamond size is 1.2 to 1.6 carats - currently I have a .76 (this will be the last thing to "upgrade"!)

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vatche-royal-crown-from-winfields-and-good-old-gold.129028/

My almost there ring!

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Lynn,

Leave it to you to start a thread that is both instructional, helpful and entertaining.

If I had known about PS I would have reset my original stone ages ago in a halo, pave band ,or three stone and been far happier, instead I was vaguely discontent but diamonds were not a priority at the time. So for seven years, I was not entirely happy. I salute you PS women who reset and upgrade and ever move to the perfection you seek.

We were happy, enjoying life, but the ring nagged at me. We since upgraded and now I am at peace, but I will certainly reset the original stone into something more to my liking now that I have examples from ps. When we bought the new stone, my DH, god bless him wanted it reset in my original setting which I (secretly) hated, but never said anything, thinking, I''ve come this far, you got the stone- don''t push it girl - there is always tommorrow!

Thank goodness the guy we went to for the setting, who DH trusts and did prior work said in a burst of honesty - "no, this stone needs its own setting, you cannot do this". The old set, though platinum has these little diamond chips on the side, which I particularly hated, so I got an entirely new setting-but fear not, we kept the old ring, I love her J softness and I will reset her in a future project that will make her shine.

You can see from the photos, the OEC J original stone- she will get a split shank, halo as a future project., and my new F radiant
, so moral of the story... RESET, upgrade, don''t be shy of your hearts desire.

bunnycompare1.jpg

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
What a neat thread idea! It''s so fun to read everyone''s stories.
1.gif

I''m about to embark on my very first reset (and, with the help of Joshua Griswold of Serenity Diamonds, might have found the two emeralds that I''m going to use in it...).

I got engaged just over a year ago with a beautiful, beautiful 1.25 carat OEC cut between 1920 and 1925. It was my first-ever diamond (and ho ho, did it ever create a monster, but that''s another story). I picked it out myself, choosing a low bezel setting in platinum for practicality and because I like bezels. Thanks to the guidance I found here on PS, we got a very fair deal from a good vendor: Leigh Jay Nacht of antiqueengagementrings.com.

BUT (of course there is a but, otherwise this wouldn''t be a reset story), three problems arose over the following year:

1. I couldn''t wear a straight band with the low bezel, and I didn''t want a curved wedding band, AND I was doing a Nerd Ring anyway to commemorate my nerd book deal, so I combined the Nerd Ring with my wedding band to make a wedding set. This means that when I get married, the e-ring will have to move to my right hand.

2. I felt a little weird wearing diamond solitaires on both hands. (This didn''t occur to me until someone else pointed it out, but you know, she was right. It does look a little funny to have two obvious "engagement rings" on.)

3. The ring I have is a cast reproduction, not an original antique. (The stone is genuine, but the setting''s repro.) At first this didn''t bother me at all, but PS has really spoiled me rotten, and now it bugs me that the engraved details on the original ring are a little bit globby and imperfect on my cast duplicate version. I must have perfect jewelry. PERFECT. (Told you, poor dude created a monster when he got me hooked on diamonds.)

And then, not a "problem" exactly, but another factor:

4. I bought my first-ever fine-quality emerald. This isn''t my stone -- I bought it on my dad''s behalf as a Christmas present for my mom -- but oh, my, did I ever fall hard for that emerald glow. However, I can''t wear more than two rings at a time, and the original e-ring is going to take up the RHR slot soon, soooo...

Obviously the solution is to reset my original e-ring''s diamond in a new, handmade custom setting with emerald sidestones. Then I will have a perfect ring that doesn''t look so engagement-y and also has emeralds for me to ogle. Win!
9.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
My original set was a plain 6 prong stock setting with a plain band:

gdoriginalset6.JPG

What did I learn? I hated that the band didn't exactly match the ering (one was flatter than the other) and the profile was kinda meh. Also, the white gold constantly had to be replated.

So, I was looking to reset, and found PS. Found a setting on Adwar that I loved, and a local jeweler (where we purchasedmy original) said they could do it cheaper. I was still leery of the whole online purchase thing, so I went for it. Turned out to be a HUGE mistake. Here's the reset:

infamousresetgd2.JPG

At first glance, it was cool. But.... the split shank was uneven, it was ridiculously high, spun like crazy, prongs were uneven (this drove me slightly mad). I also missed having two bands.
So I immediately started looking for a reset. (I ended up returning the setting, and my diamond was loose in the safe while I searched).

Which brings us to my current set:

gdskayyay.JPG

Which I love. Scott Kay Palladium ering setting, and my WF/Adwar bezel band. The only thing I would NOT do again is the metal choice. While I adore the color of the palladium, and the fact that it never needs to be plated, is light etc. - it's slowly getting nicked to death, and it can't be polished all the way back to its original state. And I am constantly getting stuff stuck in the prongs. No plans to reset at the moment, but when I eventually beat the crap out of it to the point that it needs to be replace, I see myself going the platinum bezel route.

ETA: My first reset was after wearing the original for 3 years. I've had my current set for a year.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
So I''m in the process of my Reset.

Here is my old set. It is a Natalie K setting with .50 round and ec baquettes. The center is a D .76ct. When my husband proposed to me- we were 22 years old and he was still in college. I was in dept up to my eyeballs with college loans and working at my first job as an administrative assistant.

Now 5 years later I really want to redo my setting. I think what I liked in my early 20''s I''m not loving now. We just recently upgraded my ering center stone from .76 to 2.04cts. It is still in the same setting- which I don''t love. I think it looks too top heavy now. So we plan on redoing my wedding set with a harry winston halo inspired setting.

01AsarahEring218f.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Lynn, you have the best set ever! The new setting is to die for.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

The fishtail pave set is still in my top 5, but so is this set!
I am loving all the reset stories, too! Lovely!

1. Then-FI proposed with a 2.73 F VS2 in a platinum 6-prong setting. It was a temporary setting until I got to pick/design my dream setting.
At first, I loved the simplicity of the solitaire setting. I still love the look. My particular setting was gorgeous face up, but I really disliked the bulky prongs. The side view bothered me because the prongs looked like monster claws that had been assembled in a factory.
14.gif
It was handmade, but not very well made.

2. Reset! I found ERD and embarked on a custom plat setting with halo. I have to say, not a day has gone by that I regret it. The melee is incredibly sparkly yet I find that the center stone still holds its own against them and pops. There are days I miss the simplicity of a solitaire; but I know that if I ever went back, I would truly miss my halo. DH talks of an upgrade sometimes and now it's me who won't hear of it. I'm really satisfied with this reset and I've never had DSS since. I think my DSS was not related to size, but I wanted more bling in my set. So it was more like DWS - diamond withdrawal syndrome! A new RHR down the road? Sure! But I think I'm done...............................................for now.
31.gif
I can see myself growing old with this set and being a quirky old SUPA Granny.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
You guys are the best! I am LOVING all your reset stories; thank you!

This thread is going JUST the way I *hoped* it would. It''s very fun, interesting, and informative. And I LOVE all the pictures!

Please keep ''em coming!

36.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Variety is the spice of life. Re-set at will.
9.gif

My ering is only 3 years old now and has been in 2 rings and I''ve been through 3 wedding bands with it.

I also have a 1/2 ct heart diamond that was a solitaire ring which I decided to use as an ering so I added a gold band, then tried a diamond band before I bought my current wedding set. I then took the heart ring and got a ring enhancer to wear it as a RHR and last spring had it mounted in a sapphire ering.

Will I ever quit changing around my rings? I doubt it.

I enjoyed all of your stories and photos.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
great idea for a thread Lynn!!! i want to see more resets... i love thinking about a reset and i have loved a LOT of settings, but i haven''t actually done anything differently with my set ever. stone now that is a different matter right??
5.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve been debating a reset...but can''t decided what I want, haha. I currently have a 6 prong solitaire, and am thinking of doing a reset with colored stone accents, or a simple bezel. I would need to make sure it still goes with my mokume band though...

It''s been fun to see the posts of those of you who have reset your ring!

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think this is an interesting idea!
My hubby picked out my six prong platinum setting (with channel set baguettes) all by himself and I adored it for many years. However, the band tapered at the bottom and was so thin that it began to bend only a few weeks after the proposal. I was forced to solder a thin platinum band to it to keep it from breaking entirely. I never like the look of soldered bands nor did I like the feel of it on my hand (too tight). I had accepted this major irritation as part of life and moved on. Then one day I came across my dream setting and both my hubby and I fell in love. We quickly decided to reset my diamond (for our 5th Anni) and sell the original setting to offset the cost of the new one.
What I have learned:
#1 That I love the feel and look of unsoldered bands!
#2 That I love the look of a non-matchy e-ring/w-ring set
#3 That bezels are my new obsession and that mine makes my diamond look bigger and brighter (both unexpected surprises)

Original Setting: 2004
bberryra5.jpg

James Meyer Reset: 2009/Same wedding band

bberryjm8.jpg

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Blackberry,

That is one fabulous transformation.

CBL

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I love this thread so much! It's so nice to feel like I'm *not alone* in the never-ending search for the perfect setting...my story is so stupid I'm pretty embarrassed to tell it to anyone, but I feel among friends here.

I have an heirloom 1 ct european cut diamond. I love it, its really warm (L), it's very sparkly, it's very special to me....BUT what I have ultimately realized is that I do in my heart of hearts wish I had a bigger, brighter stone. However, that upgrade could be far away. My husband is in medical school and I know that eventually he will be happy and able to help me get exactly what my heart desires but for now that simply isn't possible--and at any rate I know how lucky we are that we even received a 1 ct diamond as an heirloom, it's pretty amazing. So my goal from the beginning has been to find the PERFECT setting, that compliments the stone, that will tide me over for ten years or so until the "one day" upgrade is possible.

I started with the diamond in a pretty simple bead set setting, also antique. But I didn't really love it, and the diamonds in the setting not very sparkly--I constantly felt like it was dirty. So, soon after having found this board I decided to re-set. I have been ALL OVER THE MAP with this project. My first thought was a halo, to maximize size. But I didn't know then what I know now, about diamonds, about my tastes, etc. I had a rather modern looking halo bezel setting custom designed and when it showed up...I hated it. Absolutely hated it. I thought the full bezel covered waaaay to much of the diamond, and in general I didn't like the proportions. I sent it back and went with plain, white gold, semi bezel. I actually really liked that...for a few months. It was easy to wear, low maintenance, nothing fancy.

But then I started to lust after a more blingy setting. So I went to a local jeweler and switched my diamond into a slim, prong set diamond cathedral setting. It was actually really pretty, but I only wore it for two weeks before deciding it wasn't right--that I had settled for a 'typical' setting because it was convenient, and I wasn't going to wear it for ten years. No way. So I returned it. And returned home, to square one, with a loose diamond and no e-ring.

At which point my husband began to think I was certifiably crazy--and honestly, I started to think so, too. I went back and forth about what I wanted, and I had no idea what to do. I literally let my loose diamond sit, in a lockbox, for a month. I didn't even want to begin to deal with it, I didn't even look at it. It was making me insane and I felt like I just had to 'get away' for a little while.

Then one day I got tired of being asked where my e-ring was so I took the diamond to a local jeweler and had it set in the simplest white gold 4 prong knife-edge setting I could find. I also bought a matching band online. Whole set totals about $300. Do I love it? No. Do I hate it? No. I am happy to be wearing my diamond, and for now, that's going to have to do.

I've worn it that way for about a month. It suits me ok, for now, but I think that some time next year, perhaps for our anniversary, I will re-set (again), hopefully into something I truly love. I definitely am still feeling the halo idea--however shallow it might seem I am really wanting more 'presence' on my finger. But I've learned that I prefer the halos with prongs, so the diamond is emphasized a bit more, and I want a vintage looking halo setting that goes along with the 'style' of the diamond. I'm thinking maybe Beverley K.

I'm sure people will continue to think I'm crazy but really, truly, I just want to find something that will work for me for a number of years. That has been surprisingly difficult to do, as I'm sure many of you know. :)

Sorry so long!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Oh geez...can I even remember all of mine?

DH proposed with a 1.06 rectangular princess cut diamond, platinum cathedral from Blue Nile.com. LOVED this e-ring and still miss it!

Reset #1) Cathedral setting got a whopper of a ding that couldn''t be polished out. It was on the top part of the shank so it was right there to see all. the. time. So I went to Quest Jewelers and did a custom platinum solitaire setting. Loved it but then the need to get morebling won out...

#2) Sent my diamond to Whiteflash to reset into a three stone princess e-ring. Loved it for a while but then started to really miss the solitaire look.

#3) Had my diamond set into a plain platinum ebay setting which that jeweler discovered that my princess had a chipped corner
15.gif
Thankfully, it was insured!

Sooo.... diamond #2! 1.33 AGS-0 H&A from Blue Nile in a 6 prong platinum solitaire temp setting.

Reset #1) Found a solitaire ArtCarved palladium setting. Loved it but it was waaaay wide! And the standard prongs bugged me. I guess after having Quest and whiteflash prongs, I''m a bit prong spoiled! I needed to size my ring up and the lack of jewelers in my area that would work with palladium bought me to..

Reset #2) Put my diamond back into my temp. setting. Wore it like this for a while. Looked a bezel settings, three stones again, etc.

#3) Reset the 1.33 into a WF 18K white gold 6 prong Tiffany solitaire. Loved, adored this setting! But, it turned out I have a nickel allergy and couldn''t wear it.

#4, 5, 6, & 7) Resets through Blue Nile that didn''t work out! I wasted so much money on shipping.. ugh.

#8) Set it into a 18k yellow gold WF Legato. I freakin'' loved this setting but it was shortly after that my parents needed our help financially and I needed to sell my diamond and setting.

I went 6 months without any wedding set until DH gave the ok for me to use a modest budget and get a new e-ring. I''ve been through 3 rounds at Jared''s until I got it right (God bless their 30 day return policy!). My new e-ring will be a .80 GIA round set into a platinum Scott Kay trellis with bezel set baguettes setting. I love and adore this setting. It really is my dream setting. The .80 diamond may not be as big as my 1.33 round, but it''s been a humbling few months and I feel so lucky to even have a new wedding set, regardless of size!

But what have I learned from all of this? My taste is simple, modern, clean. My dream wedding set would be a Tiffany & Co, 1.5 carat platinum Lucida e-ring and matching plain band. I love platinum, can''t wear white gold know matter how much I love the setting
20.gif
, I can''t stand "standard" prongs . I love e-rings that can be worn with plain bands and diamond bands. I love solitaires. I can honestly say I''m done with resets for awhile!

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
When my hubby and I discussed getting married 6-7 years ago, I got all caught up in the asscher rage and fell in love with the Tacori rings that were splashed across all of the bridal magazines.

I decided, sight unseen
20.gif
, that I really wanted an asscher in a Tacori setting. We bought both the asscher (1.17 G VS2) and the setting from Nice Ice...no regrets there. I still love this ring but over time, I've realized that a knife edged shank is not that comfortable, neither is milgrain on the shank. I've also realized that the asscher and baguettes have a beautiful look all their own, but they don't have the disco ball effect of an ideal cut RB.

My ring had been sitting in the jewelry box more and more, I'd wear it out and take it off as soon as I got home due to the comfort factor. I thought about upgrading the asscher for an RB but I didn't really want to give it up and I'd still have to deal with the discomfort of the current setting.....so I decided to treat myself to a beautiful round in a James Meyer setting a'la Coati!

My original e-ring...

dianabananatacoriasscher.jpg

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Any my new one...supremely sparkly and so comfortable! It never comes off my finger.
30.gif
The diamond (1.74 carat K) will be upgraded at some point to something in the 2.3-2.5 range but I might stick with the JM setting, I love it!!

DianaBanana James Meyer Yummy1.JPG

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Great thread Lynn!

I got my 3 1/2 ct M colored OEC already in a setting. I had no say in the setting at all. It was a round triple halo, with .33 ct each side stones. I've never been a huge fan of round halos, and I especially didn't like the three stone halo look on my hands. Also it had a plain profile view- just smooth metal- which I didn't like. The prongs were ugly, these faux double prongs that were clunky and weird, and big. Other than that, luckily, the workmanship was top notch with well set melee and beautiful millgrain and a cool undercarriage plate. Anyway, basically it wasn't my thing from the start.

My first move was to get the profile and shank engraved by Greenlake Jewelers. They did an absolutely phenomenal job on the engraving, coming up with a gorgeous floral motif they designed for me for the profile. It really made me a lot happier with the setting and I was OK with it for the time being, but I was still intending to reset it from the start.

Just as I'd pretty much settled for sure on going with a custom job by GLJ from scratch, I lucked into an antique platinum filigree setting that was absolutely perfect for it, that I found on eBay for $500 that had an amethyst in it. I found The One about a year after I'd gotten the ring. It's very delicate and ornate but the 1 ct of melee is incredibly tiny. It's rose cut I think, very subtle in appearance almost like marcasite- it has a shimmer to it but no competing color or sparkle. It had to have a new platinum bezel made by hand for the diamond to fit.

When I picked up my reset ring I was seriously blown away. I had no idea that the halo made such an impact on the face up color of the diamond- it looked noticeably off white at a glance in the original setting with the white melee right next to it. The new setting makes it look... white. Totally white face up. Sure it's obviously no D color, but the difference is freaking AMAZING. I don't mind body color, but I do love the way the M looks without white diamonds next to it a lot. Bizarrely enough it also looks larger without the halo.

The bezel is amazing. I'm so going bezel from now on whenever possible! You can clean the heck out of the stone. And I adore seeing the patterning of the OEC with no prongs interrupting the view, it's much more eyecatching and I bet the arrows of an H&A would be smashing with a bezel. I can't tell that I'm missing any of the edge of the stone, the bezel is so very delicate and thin. I also love how secure it feels in there, and how it never catches on anything. It sits very, very low on my finger and is really easy to wear, even with a bigger stone in it. Very comfy. The original setting was much higher and I whacked it on things all the time. This one? Never have smacked it yet, it's much lower.

The platinum with it's slightly greyer hue is much prettier with a lower color stone too- it matches the steely hue of the M color almost perfectly, in a way bright white of the 18K rhodium plated WG never did.

The moral of my long ramble? Bezels rock, I'm totally a convert. White side stones do no favors for low colored stones- though I *like* low color, I like the steelier (rather than yellowish) look it has in the bezel. And platinum? Totally worth it. And I don't like halos on larger stones, they detract from them IMO, at least the one I had did... a really really teensy delicate one with exactly matching melee might be different, but I won't ever re-halo this diamond.

I shall now bombard everyone with pictures
3.gif
First, the original unengraved halo setting, 18K white gold. This pic gives a good view of the contrast between center stone and halo melee, though a bit exaggerated.

3andahalfctOEC1.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Shot of engraving by GLJ. Before, it was totally plain except for the millgrain around the halo itself.

3andahalfctOECengrave1.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
More engraving.

3andahalfctOECengrave2.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Reset, antique platinum filigree bezel setting in a blurry handshot. This gives a realistic view of what the color looks like now.

3andahalfctOEC5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results