shape
carat
color
clarity

RE-SETS and... REASONS?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
This shows the restructuring of the bezel pretty well.

3andahalfctOEC6.jpg

And what it looked like before the bezel was redone.

3andahalfctOEC7.jpg

Last one- non blurry view of the "new" setting with the amethyst still in it. Too bad the amethyst had to be crushed to remove it, it was a neat OEC cut.

Oh, I should mention the reselling of the original setting was extremely weird and coincidental- I'd never expected to actually get it resold quickly, I figured I'd have to eBay it for nothing or something. The day after I'd found the amethyst ring to reset my diamond, I was telling my husband about it at work. One of my favorite customers overheard me and freaked out- she was horrified I was "getting rid of my ring". She said if I was crazy enough to get rid of "my ring" (she didn't seem to differentiate between diamond and setting, lol) she was dang well going to have it, and to just name my price and she'd pick it up when I had the stones swapped, and if I happened to have a, erm, non-diamond-thing to put in the setting she'd like that too. So the day my diamond was reset and ready, I brought the extra stone, my bench guy put it in the old setting (and it only took like 15 min to set), I called her, and she came to get it the next day. Her husband was sooo patient about it! It's great to know the setting went to a good home- she'd adored that setting since I got the ring- and it does look great on her long fingers in a way it never did on my stubby paws. And I get to visit it sometimes!

3andahalfctOEC8.jpg

Lynn, I ADORE your ''Take 4''!!! So elegant and timeless! Do you have a side profile photo you could share? The height really makes the diamond BOOM!!! I think that''s a keeper for life! Beautiful!!!

Original) Odd squatty solitaire setting: The stone looked HUGE, but I didn''t like the shape of the band ( I honestly can''t even describe it).

2) Added 2 semi-bezel pink/purple sapphires on the sides: I didn''t really like the color of the sapphires. ( I let them pressure me into a purchase- the SA gave me a guilt trip about ordering them in special yada yada)

3) Designed a custom 3 stone disaster: Also hard to describe, but was kinda like a tension/channel setting. It was bulky and sharp with a high profile.

4) Designer solitaire setting with a 7 stone wed band: I really liked this. I miss it. However, it was so "plain jane".

5) See Avatar: I love the color of the sapphires, but don''t think I like the 3 stone look.

6) In the planning phase: I am thinking about a 6 prong solstice in plat for the main stone then bezel setting 3 green 3mm diamonds on each side in Rose Gold??

I have BRD (bipolar ring disorder). Half of the time I want a classic look, the other half something different. It might be cheaper just to have 2 sets.
2.gif
My Hubby has been very patient and understanding; we have only been married 5 years.

#1-White gold trellis setting with my 1.02 F RB. I had a 1/4 channel set wedding band which I really hated. A few months after we bought the e-ring it started turning yellow. Once married even the wedding band turned yellow. Had them rhodium plated and within two months they were yellow again. I learned I hated white gold.
#2-Palladium solitaire with a small band of .15 pave round stones going around it. I thought this setting looked pretty and when I got it I found the work crappy and it was just not what I really wanted. I bought a platinum slightly curved prong set wedding band to go with this and I love this band.
#3-Last week I ordered Verragio 0363 and am trying to patiently wait until it''s made. I believe my wedding band should work perfectly with this.

I''m planning a reset for next spring, and the main reason is because my setting was designed for a 1.5 ct stone, so when I upgraded to a 2 ct stone, the prongs are "stretched" around the diamond, so the diamond sits at a crooked angle in the setting, and the prongs are uneven lengths, and aren''t symmetrical on the top of the diamond. Because of this, the diamond is loose and spins in the setting, and it doesn''t look good.

Also, I originally had an asscher cut, which is why I have a 4 prong setting. I prefer 6 prong settings for round solitaires, so I am going to switch to a 6 prong solitiare.

My ultimate reset will be either a 3 stone or 5 stone Leon, but since I want a more intricate, expensive platinum setting, DH and I want to wait for a milestone anniversary for such an expensive gift - probably our 10 year anniversary (we''ve only been married for 3 and a half years).

I feel just like many of you. There really isn''t ONE set that I truly love.

I first had a 1.52 ACA F VS1 in a three stone Vatche setting. But didn''t like it at all as the side stones were set almost at the same level as the center stone and it looked like one big sparkle and you could not differentiation the sides from the center. I changed that right away.

Then I got a Vatche Royal Crown, which I loved.

When I upgraded to a 2.03 ACA G VS1 and I had that set in the old Vatche until I got a Leon Mege four prong clawed solitaire. It was a beautiful setting, but the diamond was set too low for me and when I wore a band with it, the band was scratching up the head and prongs of the solitaire and they were getting chewed up.

So, I got the Ritani 4 prong endless love and I loved it as well, but the melee were too too tiny.

Then I upgraded last June to a 2.38 GIA H VS2, but not H&A stone, and set that in a Simon G antique style setting with side trilliants. I really liked that setting as well, but again, it competed too much with my center stone. I think I knew I would eventually change it though as I never posted a thread about it.

This June, I upgraded that stone to a 2.417 ACA H VS2 (did the upgrade just so I could get a H&A again, but the diameters are exactly alike and the same color and clarity).
I found someone on PS selling their old harmony set ( She upgraded as well), and I bought it because it was more sparkly than the Ritani set, but not too wide.

Do I love it, yes! I know most people would love to have something like it, and I am lucky to have it, but is it my ultimate forever setting? NO!
It''s my forever temporary setting until I truly find something I love. lol

I love my new diamond though and don''t plan to change it.

I also have a 1.5 carat Pear (not certified but came with an appraisal stating it is G S12) and would love to set it as well. It is set right now in a 5 prong platinum solitaire.
I was thinking of setting it into a halo, but I am not sure. I kind of like having a diamond solitaire too.

So, I have upgraded the stone four times in the past 6 years and re-set 6 times.

Yeah, I have a sickness! It''s called diamond FEVER!

Date: 12/13/2009 9:47:26 PM
Author: CBL
I definitely am still feeling the halo idea--however shallow it might seem I am really wanting more ''presence'' on my finger. But I''ve learned that I prefer the halos with prongs, so the diamond is emphasized a bit more, and I want a vintage looking halo setting that goes along with the ''style'' of the diamond.
Cait, have you seen the Guinevere halo from WF? That would look gorgeous with an OEC!

I love everyone''s re-set stories!

My DH and I originally bought a .80/G/SI2 Leo from the maul and had it set in a Stuller illusion-head setting. I also got the matching band. It was in 14k yg. I loved the look and still do. It made my center stone pop and made it look much larger on my 3.75 finger. But after a few years of wear the poor craftmanship of the set started to show. The prongs weren''t pretty and the sidestones were always coming loose. I could never get the center stone quite clean because of the illusion head. It started to drive me crazy so I brought up a re-set to my DH...

We decided to go with a local jeweler that does a lot of custom work. Came highly recommended. I traded in my old stone and some other sort of junky maul pieces I had for a GIA .84/K/SI1 H&A. I really wanted a plain-ish solitaire that I could wear with a plain band or a diamond band so I went with a Vatche Royal Crown inspired setting in 18k yg with 18k wg prongs. I love it! The overall quality is sooo much better and I love my new stone. I also got the 2mm Lucida in 18K yg from Tiffany''s to go with it. The only thing I''m thinking of doing to this set is to have the center stone lowered. It is a high setting and it doesn''t usually get in the way but sometimes I feel like it''s a bit intrusive on my hand.
12.gif
Don''t tell my DH!
11.gif

I also have a .50 Leo that was a "promise ring" of sorts from my DH that he gave me while we were dating. It''s still in the original 4-prong yellow gold setting. I''m thinking of having it set into a plain 6-prong platinum setting since I recently got a platinum 2mm milgrain band from Tiffany''s. Hmmmmm. I''d have 2 pretty sets!

whiter metals were more fashionable and also not complimentary to white diamonds.

Should have said that should have said that white metals are more complimentary to white diamonds. YG is still nice, though. I just wanted a change after years of all YG jewelry.

Love this thread and all the reset stories!!

I reset my OEC from it's original "home" into a more vintage setting and am so glad I did. I never truly loved my original setting. It was just a little bulky feeling and I always felt it detracted from my stone. I knew I wanted to reset but wasn't sure to what and when I came across my current Fay Cullen setting just felt it fit. Am I thinking this current setting is my end-all....um no. But, it's good for now!
3.gif

Here's some pics of the before and after.....

burkb4after.jpg

Date: 12/13/2009 9:39:15 PM
Author: gardengloves
Blackberry,

That is one fabulous transformation.

Thanks gardengloves! I am really happy with it. That was my first and will be my last reset.

I love this thread! LOL. I just received my ring...a 1.21 OEC in a custom vintage setting. While I like it, I just found the GOG OMC''s and they are TDF! I already want to change, but short on $$$ right now because I just bought this one. I am very interested in seeing the OMC''s Erica and Grace will be receiving this week as well. Perhaps there is a change in the short term future. LOL

I think I really just need an OEC and an OMC!

Date: 12/13/2009 6:54:30 PM
Author: Liane

3. The ring I have is a cast reproduction, not an original antique. (The stone is genuine, but the setting''s repro.) At first this didn''t bother me at all, but PS has really spoiled me rotten, and now it bugs me that the engraved details on the original ring are a little bit globby and imperfect on my cast duplicate version. I must have perfect jewelry. PERFECT. (Told you, poor dude created a monster when he got me hooked on diamonds.)

I know what you mean! Ever since I started lurking here my poor ring''s been scrutinized. It has a wee casting imperfection that drives me nuts now.
20.gif

Awesome thread!

The first week I found PS, I also ordered my e-ring. I should have investigated a bit more, but I was in a hurry to have a ring. I still love my ring for the sentimental value, but it is a radiant cut, and it doesn''t sparkle like a RB does. So, my original wedding set is in my avatar, radiant with pear sapphire sides and a custom made sapphire and diamond wedding band.

About five years ago, my hubby bought me a pendant from WF with a 0.43 carat expert selection diamond in a bezel setting. I was unhappy with the bezel setting, so I exchanged it for a 3 prong martini setting. I kept this diamond for a couple of years as that. Three years ago I upgraded the diamond to a 0.73 carat ACA diamond still leaving it in a 3 prong martini setting. This diamond was absolutely gorgeous, even more so than the previous one, and I was constantly trying to find a mirror so I could look at it. I decided I would rather have an ACA in a ring so I could look at it all the time.

In August, I found the perfect diamond as an upgrade to my 0.73 carat. It''s an 1.33 carat J, SI2 ACA. I had it put in a 4 prong platinum setting and I wear it with a ring I had BGD make for my four year wedding anniversary. I love it as an alternative wedding set. I am most likely not done upgrading the diamond, but this is a beautiful for now set.

newweddingset1.JPG

My old setting was supposed to look like the Cartier 1895 pave solitaire...but it didn''t come out the way I envisioned. It was set way too high for my taste, with a significant airspace under the cutlet and a thick, ugly bar around the diamond, which I felt hid it. What drew me in about the Cartier was the beautiful swooped prongs. Instead, I got prongs that went straight up. Essentially, it was a stock head and the guy soldered the sides to it. And while it was good, it was not great craftsmanship; the diamond appeared to be set crooked because the metal was not even on the sides. Yes, I am that picky. Having the high cathedral setting also caused me to knock the prongs against my computer tray at work, which I did the first day after the proposal.

It took me awhile to admit it to DH, because I knew he really worked hard for the ring. At first, I decided to go back to the jeweler and see if I could have it lowered. His suggestion was to laser cut the sides and use a different prong head to lower the diamond. Essentially, the sides would just reach the top of the diamond. I absolutely HATED that idea and just knew it wasn''t going to look great. So, I put the project on hold while we got married. Then I saw this gorgeous bead set Leon Mege and it all started again. But, I also saw BGD''s Novela...I ended up going to both to Cartier and Tiffany''s, just to see which setting style I really wanted. In the end, I decided to depart from the idea of having a Cartier type setting, and start anew with the Novela. DH is bummed that I wanted to get a new setting, but in the end, he wants me to be happy. That''s my baby!

I''m currently waiting my Novela reset - I totally miss my diamond!!!! But I''m so excited to see the finished product.

Very interesting thread!

I''ve been wanting to do a reset for a while now, but my problem is that I can''t decide on a new setting.

My original setting was yellow gold, cathedral with 6 small diamonds channel set down each side. At the time, I believed I didn''t like white metals. Even though the settings I prefered had an antique feel, I went with this setting because our friend the jeweler recommended it and SO liked it.

Last year, I had my ring plated as a trial to see how I felt about platinum or white gold. I loved it and have since converted totally to all white gold.

The setting that I have liked the most for the longest is the Ritani Romantique, but the cost gives me pause. I wonder if I''m not better off setting my engagement diamond into a very plain white gold setting and putting the money toward upgrading my play diamond instead.

It stinks to be so fickle about this.

Thanks for that, Lynn! It is so stunning and elegant! I ADORE!!!!
41.gif

Coda I really love your new set, the diamond looks so great on your hand!

Thanks, Dreamer! I''m loving my new set too!

Oh good grief.....

Setting #1 1.11 Princess cut diamond in a temporary 4 prong setting. (engagement ring)

Setting #2 same diamond, added .48 princess sides into a 3 stone ring for my wedding. Jeweler kept screwing up and putting it in an ugly stock setting and I kept asking for a trellis w/ a wide side band. Hubby picked it up day before wedding and to my surprise he never put it in the right setting, but the place was closed, it was the weekend & I was off to my honeymoon. I was pissed to say the least. Took me a year to want to deal with it, and that''s how I found PS.

Setting #3 Custom set with trillions. I gave them a picture of what I wanted, but the side stones I picked were too big to look right. Wore it for 4 years and was looking for a band to go with it when I decided to just reset it.

Setting #4 current setting...a Chris Correia inspired ring. My only regret is that I cheaped out and chose WG instead of Platinum. I turn WG yellow in 3 months. On the upside, the jeweler that made my ring will redip it rhodium as often as I like. Its a PITA to go downtown & have it redipped all the time, but its free. I should have forked out the extra $800 at the time for the platinum.

If I ever do another reset, it will be Platinum. Nothing else.

What I learned?

Custom work is hard. You have to be patient and not afraid to veto the wax and start over again.

If you like white metal, only platinum will do. I have a nickel allergy and have to take off my ring at night too.

If you really love a certain designer, it might be worth the extra money to get their exact ring instead of a custom job. A custom replica can''t be exact, it has to be changed by 30% to be legal and its just never quite "right" if you get my drift. I think custom work is best for original ideas.

So that''s my story and I''m sticking to it. :-)

oh and sometimes you get screwed on a setting and you have to reset....earlier than I would have liked to
40.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results