shape
carat
color
clarity

Returning to work after Short Term Disability

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I'm set to return to work after short term disability. I herniated/reherniated my L2L3 disc, altho without imaging we can't be sure. Imaging has been ordered but is so slow to get in the health care system I'm in. I've considered going private altho, I am on the mend. There have been flare ups amd set backs which I'm told are normal and to be expected. Along with that I have osteoporosis and am a chronic back pain survivor. The origin of the pain was a work place accident that left me with a chronic back problem. I did not win my claim against the behemoth company I work for and our version of Workers Comp. The company had lawyers and I did not. I had to be represented by my union.

I've been in contact with my employer HR dept throughout and, being under a doctor and physio care, have plenty of documentation to back me up.

Yesterday I forwarded on my latest EMA (employee medical assessment) as completed by the doctor, indicating I would be starting a slow and gradual return to work. The HR lady's emails sent some very mixed messages ranging from "it's great you're on the mend and ready to return" (several like that) to the last being "this work environment may put you at risk despite your best efforts".

She's not wrong. My work environment is fast paced and physically challenging at times, and perpetually understaffed. I have no options left to move within the company and there is alot of pressure on me to make this work.

I've been off for 7 months. 2 were a worksafe claim where I had frozen shoulder, 1 month was my vacation block. Near the end of my block, I experienced symptoms of herniation as I'd been exercising and conditioning to return to work. I was devastated that it happened and scared what it would mean in terms of employment. Fortunately STD kicked in and I was able to pay my bills. I'm still recovering and physio, my doc and I feel I can do a very gradual RTW. Then, that statement in the email. I'm trying not to let it undermine my confidence but am wondering if it's a gentle heads up I'm about to be in a fight to keep my job.

Going back to work after being off for so long is hard. Physically, yes, but emotionally I'm struggling. I need this job as I have very few marketable skills and it pays above what I can make otherwise, along with the benefits

I'm forging ahead with the plan and hoping to hear from the HR support team about my GRTW. If they become more insistent that I'm unsuited for that environment, I'll get my union involved. There's plenty of precedent to show others have been hurt and off work on STD more than once (as have I).

It's a lot to deal with the past few days and I'm quite stressed.

STD = sexually transmitted disease! Whew! :lol-2:

Going back to work gradually with reduced duties sounds like a good plan. I hope your HR stay on board with it. Best wishes for improvement to your back pain.

Going back to work gradually with reduced duties sounds like a good plan. I hope your HR stay on board with it. Best wishes for improvement to your back pain.

OMG!! Should I change the title???
Nah. It makes me laugh.

Haha, that was what I thought at first but now they call them STIs (sexually transmitted infections).
You might change the title to "short term disability" for clarity. :)

Your doctor should spell out clearly, in writing, what your limitations are, and as your ability increases, write a new letter -- so HR is in no doubt about what they can ask you to do.

Has your physical therapy included work hardening? This is where the PT assesses what your work requires you to do physically and you get exercises geared toward improving the strength and endurance so you can perform those specific skills.

Yes, my initial reaction was to be highly offended and claim it's none of their business...then I figured I had to be wrong about
what @Begonia meant by STD :oops:;-):lol:

Haha, that was what I thought at first but now they call them STIs (sexually transmitted infections).
You might change the title to "short term disability" for clarity. :)

Your doctor should spell out clearly, in writing, what your limitations are, and as your ability increases, write a new letter -- so HR is in no doubt about what they can ask you to do.

Has your physical therapy included work hardening? This is where the PT assesses what your work requires you to do physically and you get exercises geared toward improving the strength and endurance so you can perform those specific skills.

The employee medical assessment spelled it out well. Also I've been "work hardening" for reals the past month. I've been doing it on my on by simulating my work environment during the day. Still, it's going to be a big adjustment. I'm still dealing with muscle and nerve pain in the flare ups, altho those are spacing themselves further apart, which is good.

My confidence is dodgy right now as a result of being off for so long. Hubbie thinks HR lady is doing her job by asking and not to get too worked up about it.

There are new strict laws in place in BC where employers must accommodate people with disabilities — including health disabilities — provided it does not pose an undue hardship to the employer. So you might need to claim rights under disability law to ensure they don’t make you do things that you are not physically able to do. And then they would need to prove what you are asking them to do poses an undue hardship if they don’t want to accommodate. Your union should be able to provide guidance.

I clicked because I was like... no..... she can't be talking about..... ok I've got to see hah!

I clicked because I was like... no..... she can't be talking about..... ok I've got to see hah!

Imma gonna blame the sleepless night for that one. D@mn acronyms.

There are new strict laws in place in BC where employers must accommodate people with disabilities — including health disabilities — provided it does not pose an undue hardship to the employer. So you might need to claim rights under disability law to ensure they don’t make you do things that you are not physically able to do. And then they would need to prove what you are asking them to do poses an undue hardship if they don’t want to accommodate. Your union should be able to provide guidance.

I've read this before and that reminder came just when I needed it @Dreamer_D!

There have been rumblings of my not being suitable for my current position before. I can confidently do 90% of the job and just need help for the really heavy lifting. Light and moderate I've trained for, but the heavy puts me at risk for several reasons, not the least of which is the osteoporosis. The union has assured me several times it would be very difficult to prove I'm unsuitable for the job. Still, they do try, this toxic corporation I work for.

That's what I thought!

I thought the same thing!! This read will get lots of traffic!

I wish you all the best in returning to work. Hopefully, all parties will work together for a smooth transition!

HI:

Oh I know what your meant! (not save the dates either). Healing and strength vibes across the kms!

cheers--Sharon

GOOD LUCK @Begonia !!!
Thinking good thoughts for you and wishing you all the best. Peace and clarity and satisfaction from a job well done. I have faith in you girl!

HI:

Oh I know what your meant! (not save the dates either). Healing and strength vibes across the kms!

cheers--Sharon

I'm alternately horrified and laughing. Thank you Sharon <3

OMG!! Should I change the title???
Nah. It makes me laugh.

Yeah, I read it "that" way too. HAHAHA, glad they let that get an edit. <3

Best of luck with the job and healing. Please don't push yourself to do something beyond what is good for you. A re-injury isn't good for you, or for your situation at your job. It sounds like you are in Canada so I can't give much help on the HR issues as I'm in the U.S. and our laws must be different. But as pointed out, if there are disability laws and certain accommodations need to be made you should investigate that, if you haven't already. I assume your union can help with that. In the U.S. an employer is required to make "reasonable accommodations" if someone qualifies under the Americans with Disability Act.. If Canada is similar, then you will need to figure out what is reasonable.

Best of luck with the job and healing. Please don't push yourself to do something beyond what is good for you. A re-injury isn't good for you, or for your situation at your job. It sounds like you are in Canada so I can't give much help on the HR issues as I'm in the U.S. and our laws must be different. But as pointed out, if there are disability laws and certain accommodations need to be made you should investigate that, if you haven't already. I assume your union can help with that. In the U.S. an employer is required to make "reasonable accommodations" if someone qualifies under the Americans with Disability Act.. If Canada is similar, then you will need to figure out what is reasonable.

This is good advice, thank you!

As a trauma survivor I tend to overwork as a way to feel safe. That has taught my boss to expect the work of 2 people from me. This is an opportunity (and vitally necessary if I'm to continue working), that I not do this any longer. My back can't do this anymore and I'll get re-injured. I'm not at all sure I can do this job at all even at a much reduced speed. I hope so.

Last edited:
This is good advice, thank you!

As a trauma survivor I tend to overwork as a way to feel safe. That has taught my boss to expect the work of 2 people from me. This is an opportunity (and vitally necessary if I'm to continue working), that I not do this any longer. My back can't do this anymore and I'll get re-injured. I'm not at all sure I can do this job at all even at a much reduced speed. I hope so.

I’m similar and need to carefully regulate my energy expenditure for health too. I am always reminding myself that slowing down to 70% capacity is still a big contribution to my workplace and I don’t need to push myself further.

I'm set to return to work after short term disability. I herniated/reherniated my L2L3 disc, altho without imaging we can't be sure. Imaging has been ordered but is so slow to get in the health care system I'm in. I've considered going private altho, I am on the mend. There have been flare ups amd set backs which I'm told are normal and to be expected. Along with that I have osteoporosis and am a chronic back pain survivor. The origin of the pain was a work place accident that left me with a chronic back problem. I did not win my claim against the behemoth company I work for and our version of Workers Comp. The company had lawyers and I did not. I had to be represented by my union.

I've been in contact with my employer HR dept throughout and, being under a doctor and physio care, have plenty of documentation to back me up.

Yesterday I forwarded on my latest EMA (employee medical assessment) as completed by the doctor, indicating I would be starting a slow and gradual return to work. The HR lady's emails sent some very mixed messages ranging from "it's great you're on the mend and ready to return" (several like that) to the last being "this work environment may put you at risk despite your best efforts".

She's not wrong. My work environment is fast paced and physically challenging at times, and perpetually understaffed. I have no options left to move within the company and there is alot of pressure on me to make this work.

I've been off for 7 months. 2 were a worksafe claim where I had frozen shoulder, 1 month was my vacation block. Near the end of my block, I experienced symptoms of herniation as I'd been exercising and conditioning to return to work. I was devastated that it happened and scared what it would mean in terms of employment. Fortunately STD kicked in and I was able to pay my bills. I'm still recovering and physio, my doc and I feel I can do a very gradual RTW. Then, that statement in the email. I'm trying not to let it undermine my confidence but am wondering if it's a gentle heads up I'm about to be in a fight to keep my job.

Going back to work after being off for so long is hard. Physically, yes, but emotionally I'm struggling. I need this job as I have very few marketable skills and it pays above what I can make otherwise, along with the benefits

I'm forging ahead with the plan and hoping to hear from the HR support team about my GRTW. If they become more insistent that I'm unsuited for that environment, I'll get my union involved. There's plenty of precedent to show others have been hurt and off work on STD more than once (as have I).

It's a lot to deal with the past few days and I'm quite stressed.

talk to your union rep
good luck
dont let your employer bully you

The employee medical assessment spelled it out well. Also I've been "work hardening" for reals the past month. I've been doing it on my on by simulating my work environment during the day. Still, it's going to be a big adjustment. I'm still dealing with muscle and nerve pain in the flare ups, altho those are spacing themselves further apart, which is good.

My confidence is dodgy right now as a result of being off for so long. Hubbie thinks HR lady is doing her job by asking and not to get too worked up about it.

remember to breath dear Begonia

remember to breath dear Begonia

I'm sure trying. I've been upping my meditation to twice a day as my insides are trying to knot up. Not good for pain levels.

Still no RTW schedule from work which I'm trying not to see as a bad sign.

It's my sons 22nd birthday today and I'm trying to focus on family instead of that stupid job. Undo the programming eh?

I do pray. They say give your troubles over to The Big Guy. Okay. I have to pass my worry over oh... about 100×/day. I keep taking it back!

I'm sure trying. I've been upping my meditation to twice a day as my insides are trying to knot up. Not good for pain levels.

Still no RTW schedule from work which I'm trying not to see as a bad sign.

It's my sons 22nd birthday today and I'm trying to focus on family instead of that stupid job. Undo the programming eh?

I do pray. They say give your troubles over to The Big Guy. Okay. I have to pass my worry over oh... about 100×/day. I keep taking it back!
im glad to read this
mediation is healing
a group of us from one of my old workplaces (Aussie owned part of largest conglomorate in southern hemisphere) used to go to Budist meditation once a week, (very welcoming to all other religions, all they asked was for respect when they said their prayer), it was so calming to be around them, it was an hour plus a cup of tea and a bickie of pure serenity

have a wonderful time at your son's party Begonia
eat, drink and be merry
its about time you had more nice in your life

im glad to read this
mediation is healing
a group of us from one of my old workplaces (Aussie owned part of largest conglomorate in southern hemisphere) used to go to Budist meditation once a week, (very welcoming to all other religions, all they asked was for respect when they said their prayer), it was so calming to be around them, it was an hour plus a cup of tea and a bickie of pure serenity

have a wonderful time at your son's party Begonia
eat, drink and be merry
its about time you had more nice in your life

I can see how that would have been a wonderful hour.

I adore you Daisy.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP