shape
carat
color
clarity

Returning to work after Short Term Disability

I can see how that would have been a wonderful hour.

I adore you Daisy.

thank you dear Begonia, i most sincearly hope and pray you will be ok at work

I'm set to return to work after short term disability. I herniated/reherniated my L2L3 disc, altho without imaging we can't be sure. Imaging has been ordered but is so slow to get in the health care system I'm in. I've considered going private altho, I am on the mend. There have been flare ups amd set backs which I'm told are normal and to be expected. Along with that I have osteoporosis and am a chronic back pain survivor. The origin of the pain was a work place accident that left me with a chronic back problem. I did not win my claim against the behemoth company I work for and our version of Workers Comp. The company had lawyers and I did not. I had to be represented by my union.

I've been in contact with my employer HR dept throughout and, being under a doctor and physio care, have plenty of documentation to back me up.

Yesterday I forwarded on my latest EMA (employee medical assessment) as completed by the doctor, indicating I would be starting a slow and gradual return to work. The HR lady's emails sent some very mixed messages ranging from "it's great you're on the mend and ready to return" (several like that) to the last being "this work environment may put you at risk despite your best efforts".

She's not wrong. My work environment is fast paced and physically challenging at times, and perpetually understaffed. I have no options left to move within the company and there is alot of pressure on me to make this work.

I've been off for 7 months. 2 were a worksafe claim where I had frozen shoulder, 1 month was my vacation block. Near the end of my block, I experienced symptoms of herniation as I'd been exercising and conditioning to return to work. I was devastated that it happened and scared what it would mean in terms of employment. Fortunately STD kicked in and I was able to pay my bills. I'm still recovering and physio, my doc and I feel I can do a very gradual RTW. Then, that statement in the email. I'm trying not to let it undermine my confidence but am wondering if it's a gentle heads up I'm about to be in a fight to keep my job.

Going back to work after being off for so long is hard. Physically, yes, but emotionally I'm struggling. I need this job as I have very few marketable skills and it pays above what I can make otherwise, along with the benefits

I'm forging ahead with the plan and hoping to hear from the HR support team about my GRTW. If they become more insistent that I'm unsuited for that environment, I'll get my union involved. There's plenty of precedent to show others have been hurt and off work on STD more than once (as have I).

It's a lot to deal with the past few days and I'm quite stressed.

@Begonia - I get it. I went out on STD three times (for 90 days each time) for spinal surgeries. I won’t get into a lot of detail but I’d suggest doing 1/2 days for a week or two. And take your breaks, do your exercises even at work, etc. it’s hard to get back into it. Take care of you.

P.S. Ultimately I had to take LTD because I couldn’t do my law job anymore. But I had other disabling conditions too.

@Begonia - I get it. I went out on STD three times (for 90 days each time) for spinal surgeries. I won’t get into a lot of detail but I’d suggest doing 1/2 days for a week or two. And take your breaks, do your exercises even at work, etc. it’s hard to get back into it. Take care of you.

P.S. Ultimately I had to take LTD because I couldn’t do my law job anymore. But I had other disabling conditions too.

So sorry to hear of your disabling issues! I'm so sure you know exactly what I'm going through. Sigh.

I've done return to work (RTW) in the past, neatly tucked into 1 month of 4 hours, 6 hours and then 7.5 (length of my work day). I can't tuck this one into a month as I've been off so long, so it'll be 4 hours/day for the first month, and then we shall see. If all goes well, the second month will be divided into 6 and then 7.5 hours. My short term disability will run out before I'm done with RTW so I've applied for LTD.

So nervous as I strained my back at physio this week. I knew those d@mn RDL's were gonna be dodgy, and now this! I'd intended to start back on the 19th, but no confirmation from work yet, so we'll see. I'm having to take a break from exercising until the back settles - not ideal.

I take comfort from knowing graduated return to work is... graduated. My doctor put on very conservative limitations, so mainly it will be about adjusting to the 30 minute drive each way, the 20 minute walk and being on my feet over a 4 hour shift. Plenty of micro breaks for the first while.

Sorry to ramble, but it helps to talk about it. My anxiety is thru the roof suddenly.

Reactions: caf
So sorry to hear of your disabling issues! I'm so sure you know exactly what I'm going through. Sigh.

I've done return to work (RTW) in the past, neatly tucked into 1 month of 4 hours, 6 hours and then 7.5 (length of my work day). I can't tuck this one into a month as I've been off so long, so it'll be 4 hours/day for the first month, and then we shall see. If all goes well, the second month will be divided into 6 and then 7.5 hours. My short term disability will run out before I'm done with RTW so I've applied for LTD.

So nervous as I strained my back at physio this week. I knew those d@mn RDL's were gonna be dodgy, and now this! I'd intended to start back on the 19th, but no confirmation from work yet, so we'll see. I'm having to take a break from exercising until the back settles - not ideal.

I take comfort from knowing graduated return to work is... graduated. My doctor put on very conservative limitations, so mainly it will be about adjusting to the 30 minute drive each way, the 20 minute walk and being on my feet over a 4 hour shift. Plenty of micro breaks for the first while.

Sorry to ramble, but it helps to talk about it. My anxiety is thru the roof suddenly.

i hope the people whom you work closest to physically are sympathetic and helpful

i hope the people whom you work closest to physically are sympathetic and helpful

Here's hoping. I work in a toxic union environment and my boss would dearly love to surround himself with 30 year old males with strong backs, whereas I'm a 58 year old female with structural issues. I was fine until I got hit by a broken metal fire door. Sigh. I'll give it my best shot and keep in my bubble. Or try to.

Here's hoping. I work in a toxic union environment and my boss would dearly love to surround himself with 30 year old males with strong backs, whereas I'm a 58 year old female with structural issues. I was fine until I got hit by a broken metal fire door. Sigh. I'll give it my best shot and keep in my bubble. Or try to.

i dont understand sexism from the younger generation, how did that happen ?
im sorry it does not sound like the union as a whole is not a surportive enviroment

I’m sorry. I hope my post didn’t make you anxious. Just go slow and steady. You can do it!

I’m sorry. I hope my post didn’t make you anxious. Just go slow and steady. You can do it!

No no. Not your post, not at all. I'm just talking out my fears.

i dont understand sexism from the younger generation, how did that happen ?
im sorry it does not sound like the union as a whole is not a surportive enviroment

No, it surely isn't. Ironic that the union collective agreement can "protect" you but the environment is toxic.

I can only imagine others stories of workplace toxicity... I'm in good company.

No, it surely isn't. Ironic that the union collective agreement can "protect" you but the environment is toxic.

I can only imagine others stories of workplace toxicity... I'm in good company.

i could tell you one or a thousand and twenty

Thinking of you Begonia and sending you good thoughts. Please keep posting if its helping you deal with the anxiety. I’m sorry you are going thru this. I’m hoping you get some good news next week and you are able to gradually ease back into your job at a rate you feel comfortable with. You can feel your anxiety in your posts. Is there anything we can do to help you?

@Daisys and Diamonds, We are all lucky to have you here.

Hi @Begonia, following your journey on this thread. Hopefully you will hear from work soon to give you some resolution. I know you said in an earlier post that you have been trying to follow a work day of sorts for your stamina. Has this included the car travel that you mentioned for work? If not maybe you could do some driving for the next few days while you are waiting to hear from work to improve stamina in that aspect.

Hi @Begonia, following your journey on this thread. Hopefully you will hear from work soon to give you some resolution. I know you said in an earlier post that you have been trying to follow a work day of sorts for your stamina. Has this included the car travel that you mentioned for work? If not maybe you could do some driving for the next few days while you are waiting to hear from work to improve stamina in that aspect.

Good idea!

I have been traveling by car but not that exact amount ×2 in that time frame. I'll give that a go today, and every day.

Putting on the nasty no slip runners as well. My back is shoe sensitive.

Reactions: CMN
Thinking of you Begonia and sending you good thoughts. Please keep posting if its helping you deal with the anxiety. I’m sorry you are going thru this. I’m hoping you get some good news next week and you are able to gradually ease back into your job at a rate you feel comfortable with. You can feel your anxiety in your posts. Is there anything we can do to help you?

@Daisys and Diamonds, We are all lucky to have you here.

Talking to you all is so helpful. Like a village rooting for me! Thank you @Calliecake and everyone.

Anxiety... yeah. I do a lot to settle it, but occasionally it's so much harder, like now. My trauma brain doesn't help ya know?

The listening and encouraging and pro tips are wonderful.

Had a bad twinge this morning on the way to the pool and I'm in pain and spasming.

Made an appointment with my doc for Wednesday. I doubt I'll be ready to start back on Thursday, even if HR gives me the go-ahead. I'm scared and disappointed. I'll push further for an MRI when I see him Wednesday.

I'm just gonna say it.

I've delayed going back to work until the pain has lowered, after some emails with HR. I was both frightened inside, and... extremely relieved when the delay was approved.

The pain is 70% better today. Healing? Coincidence? Sure, but I'm not in denial about the psychological aspect here as the physio and I spent a few weeks studying the psychology of pain (book called Explain Pain). As a chronic back pain survivor, I'd likely have the framework of increased pain sensors in my nervous system. My brain did not perceive me to be safe = painful twinge and spasming back muscles. I'm still going to ask for an MRI tomorrow however.

I'll discuss this with my care providers today and tomorrow. I was so very upset this weekend about the cryptic response from HR and it is known that cortisol and the stress soup can increase pain. I get hyper sensitive with my company as... well... difficult past experiences, combined with being off 7 months. I knew it was gonna be a tough sell emotionally.

Not too sure where to take this but I'm so d@mn glad that at this moment the pain is down considerably.

I’m glad your pain is better right now @Begonia. You have been under a tremendous amount of stress this past week. I'm hoping you can relax a little now that your return to work date has been delayed. Please take good care of yourself.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. The unknowns are so frightening. Glad to hear your additional time off was approved.

Hope you feel better soon.

I’m glad your pain is better right now @Begonia. You have been under a tremendous amount of stress this past week. I'm hoping you can relax a little now that your return to work date has been delayed. Please take good care of yourself.

This is so true and very validating to have someone else say it. Thank you for that!

I'll relax a while and then get back on the horse and try again.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. The unknowns are so frightening. Glad to hear your additional time off was approved.

Hope you feel better soon.

Me too. Me. Too.

A bit of downtime and then I'll start strategizing, starting with the alarm response I have to certain emails from HR.

It helps to talk here and not be shamed. Thank you for that! I just had an unrelated appt and the provider asked "are you allergic to work"? Not too sure of her intention but I felt shame. I'll work on that too. Again.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP