shape
carat
color
clarity

Rings you don’t like but kept and wear anyway!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone settle on jewellery like me? Where you don’t love something but acknowledge that it has a purpose?

Here is a thread for all the pieces that we’re “so so” about but keep and wear anyway.

I find that the pieces I adore are not necessarily practical or useful with my clothes so I have a stash of “You don’t thrill me but you’ll do” pieces that I actually wear more than my beloved treasures.

I want to see yours too! Or are you all ruthless and would never wear anything that you’re not utterly in love with?

Darker than my expectations Tsav:

Was offered a return on this but ultimately I decided not to and it grew on me. My son and sister have fought much over it (he collects garnets, she calls it forest green and wants one) so it’s not going anywhere.

IMG_3398.jpeg

Despised zircon that is not pink:

This was sold as pink and is not pink. Bought when I was new to CS. One of those weird things where I tried to talk myself into its virtues and grew to despise it. Pink zircon is a lie!!!!!! It is not pink!!! Husband’s favourite ring and he loves this coppery colour. He wanted a car in this colour but couldn’t fit into a Polestar so I wear this ring out with him often. I have a few dresses in this colour too.

IMG_2546.jpeg

Too small padparadscha:

It’s just small. Poor thing is so small. Very useful nevertheless and I love the colour. Just so sad and small. And I think I overdid the halo. But I wear it heaps cuz the bestie loves it and it’s great in summer as the ring on my rummaging hand because it’s sapphire and tough. The husband loves it too because he’s into that whole pink thing.

IMG_3442.jpeg

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this thread idea! I have lots of rings I am "meh" about but haven't sold and I just keep them. Or ones I waffle about selling. I'll take pics today.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Girl, I don’t have the money to settle. :lol: So no. Settling for something I don’t love means I then can’t get something else that I do love, and that just doesn’t work for me.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Girl, I don’t have the money to settle. :lol: So no. Settling for something I don’t love means I then can’t get something else that I do love, and that just doesn’t work for me.

But don’t you need some feral rings for so so situations? Or you just wear the good stuff?

Say sometimes I go to yakiniku for dinner with the boys. I end up smelling like greasy smoke and the fat is spitting at me while we’re grilling meat but I still want to wear some bling. So I pull out some of the mediocre gang.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
But don’t you need some feral rings for so so situations? Or you just wear the good stuff?

I just wear a pendant and call it a day. :D

Last weekend was spent hiking and mountain peak conquering (took three days for my feet to recover, phew!) and so I left all my rings at home. But on all my photos I’m sporting my lovely spess! :P2

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone settle on jewellery like me? Where you don’t love something but acknowledge that it has a purpose?

Here is a thread for all the pieces that we’re “so so” about but keep and wear anyway.

I find that the pieces I adore are not necessarily practical or useful with my clothes so I have a stash of “You don’t thrill me but you’ll do” pieces that I actually wear more than my beloved treasures.

I want to see yours too! Or are you all ruthless and would never wear anything that you’re not utterly in love with?

Was offered a return on this but ultimately I decided not to and it grew on me. My son and sister have fought much over it (he collects garnets, she calls it forest green and wants one) so it’s not going anywhere.

IMG_3398.jpeg

This was sold as pink and is not pink. Bought when I was new to CS. One of those weird things where I tried to talk myself into its virtues and grew to despise it. Pink zircon is a lie!!!!!! It is not pink!!! Husband’s favourite ring and he loves this coppery colour. He wanted a car in this colour but couldn’t fit into a Polestar so I wear this ring out with him often. I have a few dresses in this colour too.

IMG_2546.jpeg

Too small padparadscha:

It’s just small. Poor thing is so small. Very useful nevertheless and I love the colour. Just so sad and small. And I think I overdid the halo. But I wear it heaps cuz the bestie loves it and it’s great in summer as the ring on my rummaging hand because it’s sapphire and tough. The husband loves it too because he’s into that whole pink thing.

IMG_3442.jpeg

I would definitely keep jewelry I thought was "just okay" if I had a specific use for it.

For ex. if those were mine and I wasn't crazy about them, I'd probably keep the green and pink ones for holidays. Here in the US, that would be green for December, the Christmas month, and also for St. Patrick's Day. And of course the pink heart for the first two weeks of February, for Valentine's Day. The zircon, I'd probably just pretend it was a pinky-brown diamond and then I'd love it to the moon and back. :lol-2:

But personally, I've decluttered my jewelry box a couple of times somewhat recently and the only things I still have but don't really like, I plan to get corrected by a jeweler. I just don't ever seem to get around to doing it. Oh, I also have a pearl solitaire ring that has such a giant pearl that it's ridiculous, like 16mm. For some reason, I like wearing it with tattered old jeans.

Last edited:
Your "rejects" are still glorious!! I'm in the ruthless camp... if I find I no longer love something, off she goes and I don't look back.
1899439chbn1tn1v0.gif

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

IMG_3398.jpeg

IMG_2546.jpeg

Too small padparadscha:

IMG_3442.jpeg

if only the ones i didnt enjoy looked like that:lol:
your collection is as always, stunning

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh i have one !
how to lower the tone around here !
peridot and white saphires in silver
peridot has huge window
but i did get good use out of it as i wore it durring lockdown and the worst of the pandemic to remind me not to touch my face when out and about, its an index finger ring
i dont even know why i brought it as it way too similar to my green saphire and diamond ring -just a lot cheaper and for a different finger
1721259507716.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh i have one !
peridot and white saphires in silver
peridot has huge window
but i did get good use out of it as i wore it durring lockdown and the worst of the pandemic to remind me not to touch my face when out and about, its an index finger ring
i dont even know why i brought it as it way too similar to my green saphire and diamond ring -just a lot cheaper and for a different finger
1721259507716.jpeg

I can’t see the window Daisy! It looks lovely!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes! Too embarrassed to post photos after @mellowyellowgirl's tragedies. :P2

Most of our "disappointments" have been unmounted gems and there is not a lot of sentimentality there so it's easy to send them back. I find it's harder with jewelry where the beauty of the whole piece can overpower a minor let-down in the focal point.

Our biggest "errors" have been things not to our taste that we bought to disassemble and then lost our nerve because, although not my kinda pretty, they were objectively pretty in person. So they don't see a lot of daylight and they have not supported "new construction."

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sigh, where do I start.
Many decades of shopping equals many rings (amongst other things).
What happens is, I see something better than the similar one I have so I buy it meaning to rehome the other ring. And then I don’t.
Oh and my fingers have got fatter and I can’t wear the older ones or the ones that never fit in the first place.
The aquamarine ring with the coolest inclusions never fit. It doesn’t work on another finger and can’t be resized due to the fancy shape shank.
Then purple and rose diamond antique ring, another that doesn’t even fit my little finger.
The OEC antique ring, inherited, is so fine and worn that I’m worried breathing on it will cause diamonds to fall out.
The Opal Ring that was cheap and I subsequently bought 5 more of that I like better.
IMG_8904.jpeg IMG_8905.jpeg IMG_9071.jpeg IMG_9071.jpeg IMG_0415.jpeg IMG_7327.jpeg

ChickityChicken

Shiny_Rock
All of your rings have personality even if they are not perfectly suitable for you.
I felt like I walked through an art exhibit as I gazed upon your rings in this thread with all the suprising colors, shapes, and distinct vibes.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
@mellowyellowgirl your tsav ring is lovely!

And I would also pay to watch your stand-up comedy about your forays in the world of feral jewellery :lol-2:

As for my “settle” pieces, I used to own quite a few but they all disappeared with the burglary! Despite my best efforts, I’ve still settled on some pieces. One that comes to mind is my Cartier Eclipse emerald ring: I’ve been lusting after a big ole emerald for a long time but am too scared to plonk big $$$ on it especially since don’t trust my eyes on emeralds yet, so I bought a vintage Cartier band. I wear it when I fancy a chunky gold band and turn it to the side when I don’t want the emerald showing.

IMG_6278.jpeg
IMG_7024.jpeg IMG_7021.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

And I would also pay to watch your stand-up comedy about your forays in the world of feral jewellery :lol-2:

As for my “settle” pieces, I used to own quite a few but they all disappeared with the burglary! Despite my best efforts, I’ve still settled on some pieces. One that comes to mind is my Cartier Eclipse emerald ring: I’ve been lusting after a big ole emerald for a long time but am too scared to plonk big $$$ on it especially since don’t trust my eyes on emeralds yet, so I bought a vintage Cartier band. I wear it when I fancy a chunky gold band and turn it to the side when I don’t want the emerald showing.

IMG_6278.jpeg

I actually really love that band!

lala646

Ideal_Rock

IMG_6278.jpeg

Some of us are in a different sphere if vintage Cartier is what you consider "settling". Lol.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_6278.jpeg

I love the band! Can I ask what you don't like about it?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool thread! The stone has extinction and I really dislike the setting but other than that, lol, I wear it because it's orange.

IMG_3326[1].jpg

IMG_3331[1].jpg

IMG_3330[1].jpg

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
I love the band! Can I ask what you don't like about it?

Thank you!

I think it’s because I’ve been wanting a big emerald cab for a long time so the Cartier was a way to dip my toe into emerald-land, but it hasn’t scratched the itch :lol-2:

In a perfect world, I would have simply bought a big juicy emerald cab, but I don’t trust my eyes enough to do that yet…!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
I actually really love that band!
Thank you!

Some of us are in a different sphere if vintage Cartier is what you consider "settling". Lol.
Haha, maybe I took the original “You don’t thrill me but you’ll do“ assignment too seriously. I’m very fortunate to have this ring, but it definitely hasn’t scratched the itch for a big emerald cab!

lala646

Ideal_Rock
Thank you!

Haha, maybe I took the original “You don’t thrill me but you’ll do“ assignment too seriously. I’m very fortunate to have this ring, but it definitely hasn’t scratched the itch for a big emerald cab!

I can definitely understand that! I sold the synthetic emerald cab I had, and have a lovely, but not luscious green enough emerald gypsy. The color is richer in this photo than IRL.
20240319_154119.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sigh, where do I start.
Many decades of shopping equals many rings (amongst other things).
What happens is, I see something better than the similar one I have so I buy it meaning to rehome the other ring. And then I don’t.
Oh and my fingers have got fatter and I can’t wear the older ones or the ones that never fit in the first place.
The aquamarine ring with the coolest inclusions never fit. It doesn’t work on another finger and can’t be resized due to the fancy shape shank.
Then purple and rose diamond antique ring, another that doesn’t even fit my little finger.
The OEC antique ring, inherited, is so fine and worn that I’m worried breathing on it will cause diamonds to fall out.
The Opal Ring that was cheap and I subsequently bought 5 more of that I like better.
IMG_8904.jpeg IMG_8905.jpeg IMG_9071.jpeg IMG_9071.jpeg IMG_0415.jpeg IMG_7327.jpeg

can you make that aqua into a pin or a pendant ?
it is too cool to leave at home in a drawer

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results