shape
carat
color
clarity

Scuff or scratch in antique stone? :(

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
I cleaned a ring the other day, and was looking at it''s newfound sparkliness today under sunlight.

It appears that there is either a scratch, chip, or some mark on one of the stones (a ruby).

The ring was worn by the relative for over 50 years, so I shouldn''t be surprised. But, I just noticed the scratch.
Unless the light just hit the cut in a weird way, it appears to be a light, but noticeable, scuff.

Should I not wear the ring?

Will the stone just further degrade? Can it be repaired at all?

I''ll have to try to take a picture of it later. While it''s very hard to notice, if you hold it the right way under bright sunlight, it appears to be a scuff.

It should still be safe to wear; it is normal for gemstones to show some abrasion after so many years. For a peace of mind, you should get the ring looked at to make sure the prongs are secure and that the stone doesn''t have worse damage.

Thanks, I''m glad it can probably be worn. I think some of my shock has gone away.
I envisioned it just breaking and ending up missing completely from the ring, but I''m guessing that isn''t very likely. I might retire it to a special occasion ring, but since the relative wore it daily without worrying about it, maybe I should too. I''ll have to find someone around here who could look at an antique ring.

have it looked at by a good jeweller but i would think it was fine to wear too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP