shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking Advice on Buying an Engagement Ring

Hunter Cole

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I’m new to the world of diamonds and currently shopping for an engagement ring. I’ve visited stores like Tiffany, Cartier, and Harry Winston, but I feel their prices include a significant brand markup. As a result, I’m considering purchasing a ring from Blue Nile or James Allen, with a budget around $30K (about a 1.8 carat stone plus setting).

However, I’ve read that the settings from these retailers might not always be ideal. Since this will likely be my fiancée’s first and only diamond ring, I want it to be perfect—not just the stone, but also the setting and craftsmanship.

I’m thinking of purchasing the stone from James Allen and then working with a craftsman like Leon Mege for a custom setting. I’m hoping for something simple, like a classic 6-prong or 4-prong Tiffany-style setting. That said, I’ve seen mixed reviews about Leon Mege. Has anyone worked with him, or with other jewelers like Victor Canera or Steven Kirsch, for custom settings? Or do you think it’s better to stick with a big brand?

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP