shape
carat
color
clarity

Should we change some Forum names and rules?

Arguably the only one missing is watches - but there seems to be so many forums

Well, if eyeballs is the main driver, you can not go wrong with watches, imo. Slightly different crowd (and men >> women) but may pull their spouses. When those well-heeled watch-buyers see that there is true connoisseurship to gems and jewelry -- and a lot more subjectivity than even for watches (or cars) -- they may get hooked.

Should I start a new thread in SMTB to choose names for NaturalSMTB and LabSMTB?
Or in 3 places?
Or should we come up with some names here and run a poll?
Or some other suggestion?

Should I start a new thread in SMTB to choose names for NaturalSMTB and LabSMTB?
Or in 3 places?

For the lab SMTB (however worded) can you bring over the lovely Lab SMTB from Lab Diamonds?

On the how to name...I am not sure! Maybe ask the SMTB folks for input then select the best and run a poll?

This has been carried over from the thread on LGD
Questions include
1. Should RockyTalky be changed to:
Natural Diamonds
Natural Diamonds & Jewelry
No. The name "Rocky Talky" is clever :)
2. The rules for SMTB - perhaps they should be just:
Brag shamelessly about your Bing
Remove restrictions to say pearls - that seems irrelevant today- and diamonds plus LGD and not imitations and costume jewelry?
(there is a section for fashion jewelry down below)

Yes - also it's a bit unclear anyway since it says "no simulants" and LGD are not simulants, right? I think as long as poster is clear if it's LG or Natural we are good.

3. Are yo'all happy with LGD's including MMD
Should we still ban CZ and Mossanite - or direct the posts to Fashion Jewelry?
imho CZ & Moissy still belongs in Fashion jewelry

4. Colored Gems - should we be only discussing only natural gems
Yes

5. Jewelry Pieces is dead - move into SMTB? (if possible?) or delete?
No and no. It still has a function even if it's not as popular
6 and 7 - leave as is?

1725676619188.png

I don't understand what 6 & 7 is...if it's Antique and Vintage and Pearls then YES leave as is.

This has been carried over from the thread on LGD
Questions include
1. Should RockyTalky be changed to:
Natural Diamonds
Natural Diamonds & Jewelry

2. The rules for SMTB - perhaps they should be just:
Brag shamelessly about your Bing
Remove restrictions to say pearls - that seems irrelevant today- and diamonds plus LGD and not imitations and costume jewelry?
(there is a section for fashion jewelry down below)

3. Are yo'all happy with LGD's including MMD
Should we still ban CZ and Mossanite - or direct the posts to Fashion Jewelry?

4. Colored Gems - should we be only discussing only natural gems

5. Jewelry Pieces is dead - move into SMTB? (if possible?) or delete?

6 and 7 - leave as is?

1725676619188.png

If I were doing this:
Leave the forums that are doing well or important to PS for historical reasons.

You are correct, Jewelry Pieces is dead.

Judging from the success of the other forum (you know, the forum dedicated to purses), you would do well to add a forum for branded pieces—there are tons of people here who love VCA, Cartier, Tiffany, Bulgari, etc. As labs have risen in popularity branded pieces remain an island where (for now, anyway), the diamonds in the pieces are all earth mined. This is important to some people.

Please do not mix labs in with naturals. The race to the bottom with labs just makes me feel more strongly that they will go the way of CZ. Labs and earth mined diamonds coexist on the Reddit diamond forum and I do not care for the result. You have to scroll forever to find the few mined pieces. Not worth it to me.

Suggestion: consider Rocky Talky (labs), and Show Me the Bling (labs). Keep the original Rocky Talky and Show Me the Bling but make it clear they are for earth mined stones.

The nosedive in PS traffic seems to go along with the rise in lab stones. If the goal is to keep this a vibrant site, we have to appeal to our original audience. They were here to learn about earth mined stones. Maybe also consider surveying members about what they want in a more systemic way before making changes. Someone else pointed out that it takes a lot of time to participate here. It absolutely does. When I make a thread I sit down and block off time and make it the kind of thread that I need to read when I’m researching a subject. PS is a valuable repository of information ONLY because people have taken the time to write and educate others. Figure out what will retain those people.

I don’t mean to diss anyone, but part of the reason that RT was once upon a time busy is that finding beautiful natural diamonds was an expensive quest bc of their rarity. Labs are neither with their overabundance. Why would anyone come to do research to purchase such an inexpensive stone which is not hard to find? If RT has slowed down it is bc people and even Vendors keep emphasizing that labs and naturals are identical. If PS combines both in SMTB, they are reinforcing that message. For the past 3 years, I have noticed some posters come looking for a natural only to be convinced to go lab bc they are identical, cheaper—and here is my favorite part—NO ONE HAS TO KNOW. Basically, anyone can purport to have a natural diamond bc you know, it’s no one’s business. So Yeah, no offense, but this attitude encourages many to opt out of naturals. PS once stood for diamond appreciation bc the quest was a challenge. Balancing the 4 C’s was a challenge. But it seems like the 5th C—cost—has finally won out. It will make PS obsolete. I don’t see anyone taking the time to research that their 300 dollar stone is perfect bc they already will know it is.

Last edited:
A. Show Me the Bling — “Show off any and all fine jewelry that belongs to you here.” [Any type of rock set in precious metal, plus gold/platinum/silver metal jewelry pieces. Tags: natural, lab, simulant; diamond, moissanite, color gemstone, pearl; yellow gold, white gold, platinum, silver. Hypothetical yes: moissanite engagement ring in 14k gold. Hypothetical no: CZ in steel. IMHO rules that let people post pretty much every engagement ring set in gold and platinum in the SMTB forum, except moissanite, is not a pretty look.]

B. Natural Rocks — “Ask questions and post your photos of natural diamonds, gemstones, and pearls.” [Natural diamonds, color gemstones, and pearls.]

C. Lab and Simulant Rocks — “Ask questions and post your photos of lab diamonds and color gems, and moissanite and other simulants.” [All other rocks. Tags: lab diamond, lab color gem, cultured pearl, moissanite, other simulant. Remember there are well-respected lapidaries and vendors who deal in ideal/specialty cut moissanite.]

D. Settings — “Ask questions and discuss settings.” [Anything goes, with tags for natural, lab, and simulant; and type of metal.]

E. Watches, Antiques, and Fine Metal Jewelry — “Ask questions and post photos of watches, antiques, and gold, platinum, or silver metal jewelry.”

F. Fashion Jewelry — “If it sparkles but it doesn’t fit in anywhere else, show it off or ask a question here.”

G. Other Jewelry Talk — “Reviews, thoughts, comments, or questions about anything else jewelry related.”

H. Hangout

I. Pre-Loved

Recommend photo previews and “like” buttons.

Respectful suggestions!

i love the idea of G

I don’t mean to diss anyone, but part of the reason that RT was once upon a time busy is that finding beautiful natural diamonds was an expensive quest bc of their rarity. Labs are neither with their overabundance. Why would anyone come to do research to purchase such an inexpensive stone which is not hard to find? If RT has slowed down it is bc people and even Vendors keep emphasizing that labs and naturals are identical. If PS combines both in SMTB, they are reinforcing that message. For the past 3 years, I have noticed some posters come looking for a natural only to be convinced to go lab bc they are identical, cheaper—and here is my favorite part—NO ONE HAS TO KNOW. Basically, anyone can purport to have a natural diamond bc you know, it’s no one’s business. So Yeah, no offense, but this attitude encourages many to opt out of naturals. PS once stood for diamond appreciation bc the quest was a challenge. Balancing the 4 C’s was a challenge. But it seems like the 5th C—cost—has finally won out. It will make PS obsolete. I don’t see anyone taking the time to research that their 300 dollar stone is perfect bc they already will know it is.

i have found a lot of the posts of more modest pieces have also fallen off the last year or so
the pearl dept is high end or nothing
i think its the economy, its squeezing everyone

I would suggest some caution around making assumptions about how people search the forum. Not everyone takes a systematic approach. I take the lazy option and use the "new posts" button. If a thread has a new post, regardless of the sub forum, I will see it in the list and can decide from there whether I want to click and read more. If I want to research a specific subject then I'll use the search function.

Having a system that requires the poster to apply too many tags before they can post would be off putting to me.

The name "Rockytalk" has personality, it would be a shame to lose it. I've also noticed that PSers are very generous with their pictures/photos compared to other forums, which is another reason I spend more time here than elsewhere.

I would suggest some caution around making assumptions about how people search the forum. Not everyone takes a systematic approach. I take the lazy option and use the "new posts" button. If a thread has a new post, regardless of the sub forum, I will see it in the list and can decide from there whether I want to click and read more. If I want to research a specific subject then I'll use the search function.

Having a system that requires the poster to apply too many tags before they can post would be off putting to me.

The name "Rockytalk" has personality, it would be a shame to lose it. I've also noticed that PSers are very generous with their pictures/photos compared to other forums, which is another reason I spend more time here than elsewhere.
I also use the new posts button. It’s the best!

I would prefer to not mix Lab into the SMTB. I have zero interest in Lab, so if SMTB starts becoming half or more Lab, then PriceScope will honestly lose all interest for me and I won't come around here very often because it will be boring.

I WOULD like to see pearls allowed in SMTB. Some Pricescopers own AMAZING high jewelry pearl and gemstone pieces that don't get seen by the general PS community. Those pieces have a lot more value, in all senses of the word, than dime-a-dozen lab diamonds, CZs and moissanite.

Last edited:
1)Rocky talky & Jewelry talky
[Only earth mined diamonds.
Please don't abolish the name Rocky Talky because it's the heart of PS.
Since people already discuss in the RT forum about designs,CAD, suggestions (things not strictly related to earth mined diamonds) simply add the name Jewellery Talky]
2) SMTB
[Only earth mined diamonds.]
3)LGD
[Leave it as it is: only LGD, including colored LGD.
No cz, no moissanite and no to any other diamond simulant: they belong to the Fabulous Fashion forum]
4)Colored Gemstones
[Only earth mined colored gems and jewels with earth mined colored stones.
Lab grown colored gemstones should be in the Fabulous Fashion forum].
5) delete Jewelry Pieces:
- celebrity jewels and Royal jewels should be put in SMTB
- anything else in the Jewellery forum should be put in the new "Rocky Talky and Jewelry Talky" forum.
6) Pearls
[Leave it as it is: same name, same rules]
7) Antique&Vintage Jewelry
[Leave as it is: maybe few but very passionate PSers!!!]
8)Fashion Jewelry
[Leave it as it is]
9) Hangout
[Leave it as it is]
10) + 11) + 12): abolish.
[Proposal Ideas+ Bride+ Shopping: they should belong to the Hangout forum]

The emoticon beside Fabulous Fashion Jewelry is not intentional: I' m running in problems both in writing and posting.

Or in 3 places?
A poll would be good. I vote for SMTB-Naturals and SMTB-Labs. Clean and simple.

@Garry H (Cut Nut) or anyone else—can you please provide some illumination as to who is making the decisions and who is running PS these days? I am embarrassed to say this but I honestly do not know and I’ve been an active forum member for a while now. I saw “Pricescope Director” in your bio but you’re not on the about page….and Andrey still is. Is the list on the about page just not updated or is there a board or….?

The “about” page does list Dave Atlas and John Pollard.

I forgot about Preloved forum: leave it as it is.

I forgot about Preloved forum: leave it as it is.
Note: I think someone is starting a new one….no idea if it is up yet or how that will affect things, but people were struggling because Loupe Troop went down and the forum requires a sale listing.

If we are making forum changes, this is a great time to add direct messaging functionality, btw.

Note: I think someone is starting a new one….no idea if it is up yet or how that will affect things, but people were struggling because Loupe Troop went down and the forum requires a sale listing.

If we are making forum changes, this is a great time to add direct messaging functionality, btw.
Thanks! I didn't know.

Loupe troop is back up and running @Tonks !

Can't we keep RockyTalky but add (earth-mined only)?

If I were doing this:
Leave the forums that are doing well or important to PS for historical reasons.

You are correct, Jewelry Pieces is dead.

Judging from the success of the other forum (you know, the forum dedicated to purses), you would do well to add a forum for branded pieces—there are tons of people here who love VCA, Cartier, Tiffany, Bulgari, etc. As labs have risen in popularity branded pieces remain an island where (for now, anyway), the diamonds in the pieces are all earth mined. This is important to some people.

Please do not mix labs in with naturals. The race to the bottom with labs just makes me feel more strongly that they will go the way of CZ. Labs and earth mined diamonds coexist on the Reddit diamond forum and I do not care for the result. You have to scroll forever to find the few mined pieces. Not worth it to me.

Suggestion: consider Rocky Talky (labs), and Show Me the Bling (labs). Keep the original Rocky Talky and Show Me the Bling but make it clear they are for earth mined stones.

The nosedive in PS traffic seems to go along with the rise in lab stones. If the goal is to keep this a vibrant site, we have to appeal to our original audience. They were here to learn about earth mined stones. Maybe also consider surveying members about what they want in a more systemic way before making changes. Someone else pointed out that it takes a lot of time to participate here. It absolutely does. When I make a thread I sit down and block off time and make it the kind of thread that I need to read when I’m researching a subject. PS is a valuable repository of information ONLY because people have taken the time to write and educate others. Figure out what will retain those people.

This post is making me think about why I participate on PS.

My activity here is nowhere near what it used to be. And not just because #Life” - that’s part of it, but not all of it.

I can pinpoint one reason I’ve lost motivation to participate meaningfully: Way back when, it was frowned upon to copy a custom work. Consumers copying other consumers’ custom pieces wasn’t regarded well, vendors copying other vendors’ custom pieces wasn’t tolerated. That general ethical zeitgeist has shifted dramatically - now copying is the expectation, and the onus is on you to not share something you don’t want to see copied… Not just the practical onus, which was always the case, but in forum philosophy as well. So why would many folks continue to share?

This is one reason my interests here have been largely restricted to pearls and the branded pieces threads. Pearls are inherently one-of-a-kind thanks to being organic products. And the folks who participate in branded threads share my views on intellectual integrity - they’re the people I’m most interested in chatting luxury with.

After reading the updates, it sounds like one viable alternative is for PS to morph into a luxury site. Promise this isn’t sarcastic… You could streamline the forums to just four: A) natural diamonds; (B) natural color gemstones and pearls; (C) gold and platinum metal jewelry (no silver); (D) name brand pieces. Maybe six forums —keep (E) hangout and (F) pre-loved. Antiques, jewelry pieces, and watches would go in whatever forum they fit in. E.g. gold watch to (C) metal jewelry, stainless steel watch to (D) name brand. You would have to decide on the criteria for (D). List the name brands, or (promise this isn’t sarcastic) a minimum -price. For example the existing luxury watch thread has a price minimum of $2,000. I would recommend opening (D) to synthetics and simulants that have “luxury” name brand settings or are “luxury” branded cuts or meet your price minimum. Otherwise you would miss out on certain well-known vendors that we very rarely see posted in natural these days. The people who don’t like synthetics or simulants can ignore (D). You would still get some non-luxury minded folks posting who geek out about natural geology even if they don’t care about luxury. The Odd thread would qualify. Some of us (ahem) would still post threads about our jewelry with weird little natural rocks and the geology/cut/color geeks would reply even if the luxury lovers don’t.

Yes, you would lose some people but you are going to lose people whichever direction you choose. I don’t know your business model. Maybe you could afford two sites — one targeting luxury consumers, one targeting “anything goes” jewelry lovers. See which one does better and keep that one. Or if you can afford it, keep both. Whatever you choose, I wish you luck!

After reading the updates, it sounds like one viable alternative is for PS to morph into a luxury site. Promise this isn’t sarcastic… You could streamline the forums to just four: A) natural diamonds; (B) natural color gemstones and pearls; (C) gold and platinum metal jewelry (no silver); (D) name brand pieces. Maybe six forums —keep (E) hangout and (F) pre-loved. Antiques, jewelry pieces, and watches would go in whatever forum they fit in. E.g. gold watch to (C) metal jewelry, stainless steel watch to (D) name brand. You would have to decide on the criteria for (D). List the name brands, or (promise this isn’t sarcastic) a minimum -price. For example the existing luxury watch thread has a price minimum of $2,000. I would recommend opening (D) to synthetics and simulants that have “luxury” name brand settings or are “luxury” branded cuts or meet your price minimum. Otherwise you would miss out on certain well-known vendors that we very rarely see posted in natural these days. The people who don’t like synthetics or simulants can ignore (D). You would still get some non-luxury minded folks posting who geek out about natural geology even if they don’t care about luxury. The Odd thread would qualify. Some of us (ahem) would still post threads about our jewelry with weird little natural rocks and the geology/cut/color geeks would reply even if the luxury lovers don’t.

Yes, you would lose some people but you are going to lose people whichever direction you choose. I don’t know your business model. Maybe you could afford two sites — one targeting luxury consumers, one targeting “anything goes” jewelry lovers. See which one does better and keep that one. Or if you can afford it, keep both. Whatever you choose, I wish you luck!

I disagree. PS just needs some refinement. Natural and lab diamonds both have their place. One of the reasons that we need a SMTB Labs is so that LGD creations can be celebrated on equal footing with natural diamonds.

There are members that play in both the natural and lab grown arenas.
Why alienate a whole market segment?

I disagree. PS just needs some refinement. Natural and lab diamonds both have their place. One of the reasons that we need a SMTB Labs is so that LGD creations can be celebrated on equal footing with natural diamonds.

I totally agree. I don't see how having separate categories for natural or lab makes this a luxury site or causes you to lose people. It just has a place for each type. Let's you pick what you want to follow, or follow all. I don't see any issue with this.

I am really not trying to come off any certain way here BUT I really do not want Antique and Vintage to get lumped in with other things or for items that would get posted there to go elsewhere.

I think it would only make it harder to share and to be fair, some folks have no interest in antiques and that's totally okay, but for the people who do, I just think it would complicate things and lead to less engagement.

@Garry H (Cut Nut) or anyone else—can you please provide some illumination as to who is making the decisions and who is running PS these days? I am embarrassed to say this but I honestly do not know and I’ve been an active forum member for a while now. I saw “Pricescope Director” in your bio but you’re not on the about page….and Andrey still is. Is the list on the about page just not updated or is there a board or….?

The “about” page does list Dave Atlas and John Pollard.
Good questions Tonks,
I have been a minority share holder and director since the time that Leonid, the original founder sold PS to Andrey's family.
There is a core of +2 years to +10 still working for PS, but the business has lots of things to be fixed - thx for pointing out the About page.
There are a lot of things we are reviewing and the fact is that even in it's rudderless state, the long tail SEO is so strong that the business is still liquid.
I am not and do not want to be an executive director, but playing that role (badly) just to fix obvious stuff.
Right now I am off to look at the About page!

The only market segment that is growing and is the future.
Which is one of the reasons I object to the forum name Natural diamonds because in the trade wars of mined vs lab its used for virtue signaling by the mined side.
The ones that will stay in business are in the provide what your clients want side.

I am really not trying to come off any certain way here BUT I really do not want Antique and Vintage to get lumped in with other things or for items that would get posted there to go elsewhere.

I think it would only make it harder to share and to be fair, some folks have no interest in antiques and that's totally okay, but for the people who do, I just think it would complicate things and lead to less engagement.

Agree with this as well. No reason not to keep it separate.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP