shape
carat
color
clarity

Show Me Your “Lucky” Jewellery

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a great believer in jewellery which symbolises good health, healing, good fortune & just general positivity & luck.

I have had many bits & bobs over the years, from red silk strings for protection, black tourmaline & labradorite bracelets, an evil eye bracelet in 18ct gold & even my more recent purchase of emerald four leaf clovers on an 18ct gold bracelet. I take great comfort from my Grandmothers Edwardian engagement ring, a staple of mine since I was 16, but the shank is now incredibly thin & I worry it’s on the verge of snapping so try not to wear it often. The conversations I had with that ring got me through the whole Covid uncertainty & home schooling.

I have always taken a breath of calm whilst putting my fingers against these symbols, grounding myself & reminding myself that these moments pass.

I am currently in the market for something new, something to bring me comfort & positivity in times of stress. Something a little more upmarket than the bits I have worn over the years.

If you have anything that you would be willing to share which brings your strength, courage & a feeling of peace, that you wear regularly, please post here :kiss2:

I have a scarab ring - a topaz that was carved in the late 18th century Egyptomania period, but the stone didn't sell, so our family jeweller bought it from the cutter's family. They had lots of the semi-precious things that hadn't sold. The jeweller and I designed a setting that is inspired by ancient Egyptian rings. Scarabs brought good fortune and symbolized, roughly, eternity in Egypt. I wear it nearly every day as a RHR, and have since 1977. I love that it's quite old, and also that I'm the first and only wearer.

I am a little superstitious about it – the first day I left the house without it was the unluckiest day possible: Friday the 13th of January, 1984. All the bad juju in one date. I had an unfortunate accident, slipped and slid down a steep hill - I wasn't injured, but tore the seat of my jeans rather thoroughly, and couldn't go home to change. Luckily I had a sweatshirt I could tie around my waist, making me decent if drafty.

Believe it or not, the next four Fridays - I was in a program that did fieldwork on Fridays - I was injured every week. So I will very occasionally wear another RHR, but I never fly without my scarab!

IMG_1233.jpeg

In 2017 I discovered my dad who raised me was not my biological father. Half of my identity changed with a dna test and one email. My mother and birth father had been long dead. My dad was at that time elderly and not well; I never told him what I had learned; he was a good dad and didn’t deserve to learn his only child wasn’t his.

I had always felt a pull towards my birth father’s ethnicity and culture (I even majored in it in college!) I wanted to feel a part of all the paternal side women who had come before me (I could now trace my lineage back to the reign of Elizabeth I.) I found a small 18k rose gold Celtic cross that I paired with a delicate 18k white gold diamond heart pendant DH gave me for our 1st Christmas many years ago… I never take it off. IMG_4732.jpeg

I take great comfort from my Grandmothers Edwardian engagement ring, a staple of mine since I was 16, but the shank is now incredibly thin & I worry it’s on the verge of snapping so try not to wear it often. The conversations I had with that ring got me through the whole Covid uncertainty & home schooling.

Any competent bench jeweler can easily reshank your antique ring and make it safe to wear again. They can check for iffy prongs and fix any they find, too.

I have a scarab ring - a topaz that was carved in the late 18th century Egyptomania period, but the stone didn't sell, so our family jeweller bought it from the cutter's family. They had lots of the semi-precious things that hadn't sold. The jeweller and I designed a setting that is inspired by ancient Egyptian rings. Scarabs brought good fortune and symbolized, roughly, eternity in Egypt. I wear it nearly every day as a RHR, and have since 1977. I love that it's quite old, and also that I'm the first and only wearer.

I am a little superstitious about it – the first day I left the house without it was the unluckiest day possible: Friday the 13th of January, 1984. All the bad juju in one date. I had an unfortunate accident, slipped and slid down a steep hill - I wasn't injured, but tore the seat of my jeans rather thoroughly, and couldn't go home to change. Luckily I had a sweatshirt I could tie around my waist, making me decent if drafty.

Believe it or not, the next four Fridays - I was in a program that did fieldwork on Fridays - I was injured every week. So I will very occasionally wear another RHR, but I never fly without my scarab!

IMG_1233.jpeg

This is amazing! I love that you are the first & only wearer of this ancient carved stone - that is SO special :kiss2: And also, definitely seems to not be the luckiest of moments for you without it, though I did laugh at your decent but draughty outfit :lol-2:

In 2017 I discovered my dad who raised me was not my biological father. Half of my identity changed with a dna test and one email. My mother and birth father had been long dead. My dad was at that time elderly and not well; I never told him what I had learned; he was a good dad and didn’t deserve to learn his only child wasn’t his.

I had always felt a pull towards my birth father’s ethnicity and culture (I even majored in it in college!) I wanted to feel a part of all the paternal side women who had come before me (I could now trace my lineage back to the reign of Elizabeth I.) I found a small 18k rose gold Celtic cross that I paired with a delicate 18k white gold diamond heart pendant DH gave me for our 1st Christmas many years ago… I never take it off. IMG_4732.jpeg

Beautiful necklace :kiss2: Did you study your birth father’s culture BEFORE you found out your dad wasn’t actually your dad? As that it just amazing - your body must have felt a connection without knowing it had a connection. DNA is a powerful thing & I love the symbolism of your necklace.

Any competent bench jeweler can easily reshank your antique ring and make it safe to wear again. They can check for iffy prongs and fix any they find, too.

Thank you - I know & one day I will. But there is engraving inside the shank & my mother hates the idea of it being ‘tampered with’. At some point it will snap & the issue will be forced, but for now I like to keep the peace. She’ll be 81 in October & she’s a very sentimental woman (must be where I get it from) so I try not to wear the ring too much to protect it from harm. It’s been through a lot in its 87 years of wear!

My scarab in its accustomed habitat:

IMG_1275.jpeg
P.S. @Ally T I chose the scarab for my 17th birthday, you began wearing your grandmother's ring when you were 16 - maybe there's something about the jewellry we choose at that moment in our growing up, pieces that are part of our transition from youth to adulthood? Although I have been obsessed with Egyptology since I was a toddler, so this was perhaps a natural choice for me.

Last edited:
Thank you - I know & one day I will. But there is engraving inside the shank & my mother hates the idea of it being ‘tampered with’. At some point it will snap & the issue will be forced, but for now I like to keep the peace. She’ll be 81 in October & she’s a very sentimental woman (must be where I get it from) so I try not to wear the ring too much to protect it from harm. It’s been through a lot in its 87 years of wear!

@Ally T I wonder if you could find a very talented goldsmith if they might be able to add metal to the outside of the shank rather than replacing it, that might be able to preserve the engraving? Or, and hear me out on this, remove the original shank, and have it re-shanked, with the original shank inlaid into the new? Those suggestions might both be pipe dreams of someone who doesn't understand the dynamics of metalsmithing, but just trying to think outside the box a bit.

@Ally T I wonder if you could find a very talented goldsmith if they might be able to add metal to the outside of the shank rather than replacing it, that might be able to preserve the engraving? Or, and hear me out on this, remove the original shank, and have it re-shanked, with the original shank inlaid into the new? Those suggestions might both be pipe dreams of someone who doesn't understand the dynamics of metalsmithing, but just trying to think outside the box a bit.

I was going to suggest the same type of thing, although, like you, I have no idea if that is possible. I was thinking more of a "shank within a shank" type of thing, with the old shank inset into the inside of the new shank kind of like a puzzle piece.

@lala646 @Lookinagain I have never heard of a shank within a shank before! Thanks for the intriguing suggestion!

That is very understandable! A skilled jeweler with a laser could probably repair the ring while preserving the engraving--I hope someday you can find someone to do that.

I don't venture into SMTB often (out of my league) but the title of this thread caught my eye as I have a pendant that says "Lucky" in Hawaiian :lol:

It belonged to my closest aunt who passed away. I own a lot of pendants but this is my go to default piece for everyday wear. I often find myself touching it and thinking of her bringing serenity to the moment.

Pendant_Lucky_Hawaiin_14K.jpg

I don't venture into SMTB often (out of my league) but the title of this thread caught my eye as I have a pendant that says "Lucky" in Hawaiian :lol:

It belonged to my closest aunt who passed away. I own a lot of pendants but this is my go to default piece for everyday wear. I often find myself touching it and thinking of her bringing serenity to the moment.

Pendant_Lucky_Hawaiin_14K.jpg

This is literally Lucky :kiss2: It looks quite hefty too! I am a very tactile person & love to feel things, so I can imagine the border to this pendant is beautiful to the touch.

My Opal bracelet.
If my house was burning down, after getting the peoples and dogs out, this would be the first piece I grabbed.
I can’t explain how magical it is to me. I do love Opals but this piece is just special.
However, I don’t wear it too often as I don’t want to lose that little thrill I get when I open up the box.
If I’m feeling stressed or anxious I will get her out and sit in the sunshine to watch the colours move.
IMG_3262.jpeg

My Opal bracelet.
If my house was burning down, after getting the peoples and dogs out, this would be the first piece I grabbed.
I can’t explain how magical it is to me. I do love Opals but this piece is just special.
However, I don’t wear it too often as I don’t want to lose that little thrill I get when I open up the box.
If I’m feeling stressed or anxious I will get her out and sit in the sunshine to watch the colours move.
IMG_3262.jpeg

Oh that's magnificent! I could stare at it all day too. Tell us the story behind it if you don't mind.

Oh that's magnificent! I could stare at it all day too. Tell us the story behind it if you don't mind.

I was literally just going to say the same thing! It’s a beautiful bracelet!

@Bron357 I’d also like to hear more about it if you don’t mind sharing?

Not meaning to hog the thread…….
The bracelet I bought at auction about 20 years ago for…… wait for it………..
$400.
No, I couldn’t believe it either, no one was interested. It was one of the last lots and most people had left to go and queue up to pay for and collect the earlier items.
I wouldn’t sell it for $4,000.
And DD who has zero interest in jewellery has already assured me that it’s one of 3 pieces she will keep. The other two being my engagement ring and the lump of an Opal pendant.
IMG_0106.jpegIMG_0104.jpegIMG_0118.jpegIMG_4752.jpeg

$400.
No, I couldn’t believe it either, no one was interested. It was one of the last lots and most people had left to go and queue up to pay for and collect the earlier items.
And DD who has zero interest in jewellery has already assured me that it’s one of 3 pieces she will keep. The other two being my engagement ring and the lump of an Opal pendant.

FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS???!!!!!!!!! :eek2:

Those opals are not only huge, but they are beautiful. What a stunning bracelet. Do you know its age or any provenance?

My lucky piece is my Rolex watch, given to me as a gift from my dad, 22 years ago.
When i got married to my first husband, he gave me a Rolex watch as a wedding gift. I wore it every day and never took it off for years. I loved it.
When we decided to get a divorce, he demanded that i returned to him all the jewelry that he had ever given me, including my ER and wedding band, the necklace that he gave me as a push present when i gave birth to our daughter, and of course my Rolex watch. I felt very insulted. Of course, both legally and ethically i was entitled to keep my jewelry (we are both lawyers and i'm sure he knew that he couldn't raise any legal claims on those pieces) but i gave everything back, because i'm a very proud person and frankly i didn't care to keep objects associated to him.
When i told my dad that he took back my Rolex watch, he immediately called his SR at the Rolex boutique of our area and at the same day he took me there and told me that i can choose any watch i liked. I chose a beautiful watch, which was more expensive and more beautiful than the one that i gave back to the ex-husband.
Until today, this watch has a great symbolism for me. It reminds me of my dad's unconditional love. It also reminds me that my father is always by my side and nobody can hurt me or harm me, because he is the protective shield that keeps all evil away. When i married my second dear (dearest) husband, the ladies who were helping me dress told me that brides are not supposed to wear watches on their wedding day. Well, guess what! This bride wore proudly her Rolex watch with her wedding gown and walked up the altar with it shining on her wrist!
I will try to find a photo of me wearing the watch on my wedding and i wil post it!

My lucky piece is my Rolex watch, given to me as a gift from my dad, 22 years ago.
When i got married to my first husband, he gave me a Rolex watch as a wedding gift. I wore it every day and never took it off for years. I loved it.
When we decided to get a divorce, he demanded that i returned to him all the jewelry that he had ever given me, including my ER and wedding band, the necklace that he gave me as a push present when i gave birth to our daughter, and of course my Rolex watch. I felt very insulted. Of course, both legally and ethically i was entitled to keep my jewelry (we are both lawyers and i'm sure he knew that he couldn't raise any legal claims on those pieces) but i gave everything back, because i'm a very proud person and frankly i didn't care to keep objects associated to him.
When i told my dad that he took back my Rolex watch, he immediately called his SR at the Rolex boutique of our area and at the same day he took me there and told me that i can choose any watch i liked. I chose a beautiful watch, which was more expensive and more beautiful than the one that i gave back to the ex-husband.
Until today, this watch has a great symbolism for me. It reminds me of my dad's unconditional love. It also reminds me that my father is always by my side and nobody can hurt me or harm me, because he is the protective shield that keeps all evil away. When i married my second dear (dearest) husband, the ladies who were helping me dress told me that brides are not supposed to wear watches on their wedding day. Well, guess what! This bride wore proudly her Rolex watch with her wedding gown and walked up the altar with it shining on her wrist!
I will try to find a photo of me wearing the watch on my wedding and i wil post it!

There it is!!!

AirBrush_20240710104151.jpg

Oh, how sad. Thankfully it's all good now. But why would your ex husband demand a gift back you got from your Dad? This has nothing to do with him... and why would you give it to him? I understand that you gave backt the other things but the watch?

I love this story. I mean, I do NOT love that your ex was a piece of cr@p to you, but your dad is the stuff of dad dreams. What a guy & your watch is beautiful! I have seen it many times on PS but never realised the sentimentality behind it :kiss2:

Oh, how sad. Thankfully it's all good now. But why would your ex husband demand a gift back you got from your Dad? This has nothing to do with him... and why would you give it to him? I understand that you gave backt the other things but the watch?

I gave back to the ex husband a Rolex watch that he had given me as a wedding gift, because he asked me to do so when we got divorced.
The watch that I'm wearing at the photo is a different Rolex watch that my father bought me afterwards, in order to replace the one that I had given back to the ex husband.

I gave back to the ex husband a Rolex watch that he had given me as a wedding gift, because he asked me to do so when we got divorced.
The watch that I'm wearing at the photo is a different Rolex watch that my father bought me afterwards, in order to replace the one that I had given back to the ex husband.

Oh, I‘m sorry… I misunderstood. I thought both watches were from Dad and felt it was outrageous from your ex to get that as well… it’s still outrageous but I love how tge story turned out at the end!

That is a really beautiful story. Wear it in good health!

My Opal bracelet.
IMG_3262.jpeg

Bron, you have such a great collection and this is no exception. Where did you find this beauty? Any notes on its provenance?

$400.

Oh I see! Thank you for sharing.

Nothing to share of this kind, but - have you considered a bracelet with clover shaped diamond settings - but all the way around? The size of the diamonds, of course, would be up to you. :mrgreen:

ETA While I don't have anything I consider lucky, as such, I definitely make sure I wear my wedding ring whenever I fly. If my plane is gonna go down, it's going down with me looking married!! Ditto with any surgeries. My wedding ring is the most comforting piece of jewelry I own; it's the closest I can come to taking DH with me into difficult situations. While I don't necessarily consider it lucky, it definitely feels ominous to go into those sorts of situations without it!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP