shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Costco diamonds.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
There’s a new pair of diamond hoops on the website for a good price!

2ctw for $1299.

IMG_9676.jpeg

Is this price lower than they usually are? They have tons of reviews so are they new? This is a size I’ve been interested in!

tomato

Shiny_Rock
Is this price lower than they usually are? They have tons of reviews so are they new? This is a size I’ve been interested in!

The price is very good. I paid around $1500 for 1.5 ctw and $1000 for 1 ctw from Costco!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
The price is very good. I paid around $1500 for 1.5 ctw and $1000 for 1 ctw from Costco!

I pulled the trigger - thank you for the heads up! But then I got a message that the order was canceled and they didn’t explain why…I just reordered and hope it goes through properly. :roll:

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
There’s a new pair of diamond hoops on the website for a good price!

2ctw for $1299.

IMG_9676.jpeg

I have these--bought preloved on Pricescope. They are GORGEOUS and get a lot of attention. They are not new; I have stalked them for a while and they have been sold on and off for years. They were just recently put back up on the site.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have these--bought preloved on Pricescope. They are GORGEOUS and get a lot of attention. They are not new; I have stalked them for a while and they have been sold on and off for years. They were just recently put back up on the site.

You got the deal of the century lol I remember that preloved listing!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Guys, I bought these hoops and I have to admit I’m a little disappointed because they don’t seem to sparkle in the way that everybody had raved about it. Do you think it’s worth rolling the dice and returning them and re-buying them in hopes to get a pair that is more sparkly? Has anyone done this before or has anybody bought multiple items and noticed a difference in sparkle? Curious about the input. I might start a thread, depending on the responses.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Guys, I bought these hoops and I have to admit I’m a little disappointed because they don’t seem to sparkle in the way that everybody had raved about it. Do you think it’s worth rolling the dice and returning them and re-buying them in hopes to get a pair that is more sparkly? Has anyone done this before or has anybody bought multiple items and noticed a difference in sparkle? Curious about the input. I might start a thread, depending on the responses.

Yes, I have done this twice, once each with two different jewelry pieces. Each time I have noticed small differences in color or sparkle.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I have done this twice, once each with two different jewelry pieces. Each time I have noticed small differences in color or sparkle.

So not that dramatic in other words?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader, just a suggestion, maybe give them a good cleaning?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader, just a suggestion, maybe give them a good cleaning?

Oh yeah I have done that. Also blasted them w my espresso machine steam wand. I might try to take a video later if I can get them to show what they look like irl.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
So not that dramatic in other words?

Well, enough to notice, so I'm glad I did it. And why I did it a second time. But most of their stuff lists diamonds I color or better, so I did not expect to get a D color tennis bracelet to compare to the I color I had in hand. I was just looking to get whiter and more sparkly, which I felt I did. If you are able, order a second pair so you can compare side by side, and then return the pair you don't want.

Last edited:

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yeah I have done that. Also blasted them w my espresso machine steam wand. I might try to take a video later if I can get them to show what they look like irl.

I am sorry you are disappointed in them. I would say that the performance of my Costco hoops falls below my IDJ PS-quality tennis bracelet in sparkle (it is hard to quantify the difference--I could see a difference but my husband could not), BUT the hoops are also the earrings that I get the most comments and compliments on, and people comment on how sparkly they look. So, I don't know...I know we all have very high standards. I have ordered Costco earrings that I returned because I was not happy with the performance, but I did not order another pair of those to see if the second pair was any better.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes please!!!! I’m eager to see!

I always buy random diamonds and think they sparkle!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@mellowyellowgirl @mayaINaU OK here are quite a few links. I’m moving my head a little bit too fast in the ear shots lol. The best shot is the last one where it’s in direct sunlight.

Ear in sun:

Ear again:

In direst sun which is the best I can get it to look:

From a bigger distance away

Blah indoor lighting where they look the worst

@mayaINaU since you have the same pair I’m curious if yours dramatically out sparkle what you see in the videos.

They look bright and white and just not seeing a lot of scintillation. I’m also not at my permanent residence and won’t be until the middle of August so I cannot compare them to a half eternity I have in an MRB. All the stones I have with me right now are old cuts.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do agree @Mreader. It does seem to lack sparkle in the video.

Are there any flashes in real life?

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
@mellowyellowgirl @mayaINaU OK here are quite a few links. I’m moving my head a little bit too fast in the ear shots lol. The best shot is the last one where it’s in direct sunlight.

Ear in sun:

Ear again:

In direst sun which is the best I can get it to look:

From a bigger distance away

Blah indoor lighting where they look the worst

@mayaINaU since you have the same pair I’m curious if yours dramatically out sparkle what you see in the videos.

They look bright and white and just not seeing a lot of scintillation. I’m also not at my permanent residence and won’t be until the middle of August so I cannot compare them to a half eternity I have in an MRB. All the stones I have with me right now are old cuts.

I would say mine look like yours in the sun, but they do lack sparkle indoors if I put them on a finger and look down at my hand. I did an experiment in front of the mirror (night time, just artificial lights in the bedroom)-- I put the hoop on my finger and looked at it in the mirror from maybe 2.5 feet away. There was a lot of scintillation when looking in the mirror, but not when I was looking directly down at my hand. I think the summary of the difference between these and the IDJ-PS quality stones is that the IDJ PS quality bracelet displays a lot of scintillation whether looking down at my wrist or looking at it from farther away in the mirror. The Costco hoops do not display that degree of scintillation in all environments. I think that might be why people notice them when looking at them from farther away. I looked at the prices for IDJ and they are significantly higher for 2 carat hoops, but maybe you would be happier contacting them and asking about PS-quality stones?

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh, @Mreader ! I was hoping these would be sparkle bombs for you and I couldn't wait to see them! I, too, see what you mean about a lack of scintillation in the videos.

FWIW, I own a pair of much smaller Costco hoops (one of my first diamond purchases!) and I have the same problem. A lack of SPARKLE. My husband says he can see a definite difference between them and my other ACA diamond earrings in grocery store lighting. I never wear those hoops. (They also sit funny in my ears. Haha)

I ordered some Costco drop diamond earrings for a wedding recently. I returned them as I did not go to the wedding and I was not blown away by the sparkle of the earrings.

I still love my Costco tennis bracelet, but my earring purchases have not worked out as well. Maybe cut is actually more important on the ears because of the way light hits the diamonds? I'd be curious to know if they source the diamonds for their earrings and tennis bracelets from the same place.

Please keep us updated on these!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I would say mine look like yours in the sun, but they do lack sparkle indoors if I put them on a finger and look down at my hand. I did an experiment in front of the mirror (night time, just artificial lights in the bedroom)-- I put the hoop on my finger and looked at it in the mirror from maybe 2.5 feet away. There was a lot of scintillation when looking in the mirror, but not when I was looking directly down at my hand. I think the summary of the difference between these and the IDJ-PS quality stones is that the IDJ PS quality bracelet displays a lot of scintillation whether looking down at my wrist or looking at it from farther away in the mirror. The Costco hoops do not display that degree of scintillation in all environments. I think that might be why people notice them when looking at them from farther away. I looked at the prices for IDJ and they are significantly higher for 2 carat hoops, but maybe you would be happier contacting them and asking about PS-quality stones?

I noticed that they do sparkle more in lowlight in the mirror. I just can’t video that because the camera doesn’t capture it. And no, this isn’t something I wanted to spend a ton of money on. I’ve wanted diamond hoops for a very long time, but if I were going to spend thousands, it’s gonna be on a ring that I can see on my finger.:lol: if I paid what you did I would 100% keep them. I still got a good price, so I’m on the fence bc the diameter is perfect and I don’t foresee finding others in the same price range.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Oh, @Mreader ! I was hoping these would be sparkle bombs for you and I couldn't wait to see them! I, too, see what you mean about a lack of scintillation in the videos.

FWIW, I own a pair of much smaller Costco hoops (one of my first diamond purchases!) and I have the same problem. A lack of SPARKLE. My husband says he can see a definite difference between them and my other ACA diamond earrings in grocery store lighting. I never wear those hoops. (They also sit funny in my ears. Haha)

I ordered some Costco drop diamond earrings for a wedding recently. I returned them as I did not go to the wedding and I was not blown away by the sparkle of the earrings.

I still love my Costco tennis bracelet, but my earring purchases have not worked out as well. Maybe cut is actually more important on the ears because of the way light hits the diamonds? I'd be curious to know if they source the diamonds for their earrings and tennis bracelets from the same place.

I will keep you updated- still on the fence. How awesome that you have ACA - that would certainly outsparkle all others!

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I will keep you updated- still on the fence. How awesome that you have ACA - that would certainly outsparkle all others!

I wish I could wear hoops! My piercings are wonky so they face off to the side and one is stretched because...the 80s. I thought those little ones might be "gateway hoops" but nope. I have pretty much given up on earrings except for my studs...

These really do sit so pretty on your ears, and they are a perfect size and at such a great price point! I hope they work out, even if you have to try another pair!

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I noticed that they do sparkle more in lowlight in the mirror. I just can’t video that because the camera doesn’t capture it. And no, this isn’t something I wanted to spend a ton of money on. I’ve wanted diamond hoops for a very long time, but if I were going to spend thousands, it’s gonna be on a ring that I can see on my finger.:lol: if I paid what you did I would 100% keep them. I still got a good price, so I’m on the fence bc the diameter is perfect and I don’t foresee finding others in the same price range.

I am in the same boat. I didn't want to spend a ton--so I accept that they are not perfect. If you are not at peace with the price vs. performance issue, you might just keep questioning it...maybe better to return them. Costco will always be there if you want to buy another pair!

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock

@Heathcat24 @Mreader Yes, I think you are right. There have been a few threads on the topic of cut for earrings vs. rings, but basically you can get away with a shallower cut in an earring because it is not affected by obstruction the way a ring on the hand would be. I would be surprised if Costco were thinking about it that deeply, but it could be why these look good to an observer on the ear but not on the hand.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ideal-diamond-stud-proportions.274345/

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Heathcat24 @Mreader Yes, I think you are right. There have been a few threads on the topic of cut for earrings vs. rings, but basically you can get away with a shallower cut in an earring because it is not affected by obstruction the way a ring on the hand would be. I would be surprised if Costco were thinking about it that deeply, but it could be why these look good to an observer on the ear but not on the hand.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ideal-diamond-stud-proportions.274345/

This is really interesting and gives some food for thought! Thank you!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mainly in low light and further away which is impossible video conditions!

I’m oddly invested in the outcome of this! Would you say it’s less sparkly than your general diamond melee?

I have a dodgy engagement ring we bought at 19 and it’s atrociously cute so it sparkles but……not really…..

It’s definitely less sparkly than the melee I get now that I’m more cluey.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’m oddly invested in the outcome of this! Would you say it’s less sparkly than your general diamond melee?

I have a dodgy engagement ring we bought at 19 and it’s atrociously cute so it sparkles but……not really…..

It’s definitely less sparkly than the melee I get now that I’m more cluey.

So right now I only have old cut with me and that’s a difficult comparison. When I get home in mid August, I’m going to compare it to my MRB half eternity as well as an MRB halo I have around a ring.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
These are such a nice size. Can you order a second pair and return the one you don't like?

That’s what I’m tempted to do but idk if it will really look different and the it’s a PITA :lol:

chere

Shiny_Rock
That’s what I’m tempted to do but idk if it will really look different and the it’s a PITA :lol:

Costco returns are so easy. I couldn't get to a store for a few months since I was traveling and they didn't give me any problems with a jewelry return.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results