shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your family heirloom!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
It''s just gorgeous, TL!
30.gif

(and thanks for coming out from lurking to post it!
2.gif
)

widget

Date: 5/21/2005 6:03:43 PM
Author: Rowan
Thank you Kaleigh! It''s 14k white gold with tiny diamond chips. Not worth much monetarily, but is very sentimental.
Rowan - I love your grandmothers ring! Have you taken to a jeweler? We thought the stones in my grandmothers ering were chips too, but they ended up being really tiny single cut diamonds. Our jeweler said they dont cut anything near that size any more. Just a thought!

Everything is just so lovely in here! I LOVE IT!!!!

Kismet - the sides on your ring are so delicate and fancy and the split prongs!
30.gif

Blueroses - holy cow! Youve got a little jewelry jackpot going on over there! LOVE IT ALL, esp that opal ring... its just beautiful! And i have to tell you, my opal ring that i posted before was from my Nana! So too funny we both called our grandmothers Nana and they had opal engagement rings for their second marriages!

TL - what a fun ring... i can see why your mom didnt have to twist your arm too hard!

diamondlil - Your grandmothers spinal is fabulous! I love that setting.

Keep em comin'' ladies!

Diamondlil - Thanks for the update! Regardless of its genuineness, your grandmother''s ring is still very pretty with an interesting history!

kismet - Very neat ring! It must have been huge on your grandmother''s hand!!

Rowan - The photo of your grandparents is so classic! I like the scrollwork on the sides of the ring too. The detail in these heirloom pieces are just incredible!

blueroses - What a collection! I don''t remember much of my great-grandmother, so having these earrings of hers mean so much to me. Maybe you could reset the eternity stones in something.... A sapphire-diamond and a ruby-diamond eternity band comes to mind...
Your hopeful e-ring is gorgeous! I must own an asscher someday, and ECs are growing on me! PS definitely helps you realize the beauty of all diamonds!
The pin is indeed fabulous!! I could see it either at the small of your back, centered on the bodice, or centered at the top of the back of a wedding dress. Something old and something blue all in one!
You and diamondlil''s grandmothers must have been hot tamales!! 2 suitors essentially throwing jewels at them?! Hee hee hee
28.gif
I''m reminded of Nicrez''s tagline...

TL - Welcome! Your great-aunt''s ring is fabulous! If your arm can''t be twisted into wearing it everyday, you''re free to send it to me! J/K!! It''s lovely on your hand!!

njc - LOL! I just realized that when I asked you what size your grandmother''s ring is, I mean the ring size, not the stone size. Took me until today to realize that.
41.gif

An ear-shot of the pearl earrings. They''re a little twisted so the dangling pearl isn''t as low as it should be, but my sister is not as jewelry obsessed as the rest of us and she refused to take more than 1 picture. Someday, I''ll turn her to the sparkly side!!

PearlEarShotJCJD01.jpg

JC - Love the earrings with your dress, they are the perfect compliment. You look beautiful in the pictures in your dress thread! That was my bad thinking you wanted to know the size of the diamond... sorry! Im not sure of the ring size either. It was loose on my pinky and wouldnt fit over my last knuckle on my ring finger... something like 5/5.5 maybe? My ering is 6.75 and that goes just right over my knuckle.

Thank you!! and no problem! I *forgot* what I meant when I asked that question - I''m a dork.
9.gif

How about resetting the center stone as a RHR?

Aw, njc and JCJD, thank you for the sweet comments
2.gif
1.gif
It does seem like a lot, but it's all still my mom's with the exception of the opal. (And Nana was a hot tamale, too funny!!)

Hmmmm, what a great idea, JC--combining into a diamond/saph or diamond/ruby eternity band? I think that's a WONDERFUL idea
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
What a great thread
2.gif

Those pearl earrings are wonderful! Can you believe how quickly your engagement has gone--it's almost time and you'll be wearing them as Mrs. JD before you know it
30.gif

style="WIDTH: 94.05%; HEIGHT: 59px">Date: 5/21/2005 10:32:13 PM
Author: widget
And Rowan! The wedding band is precious, of course, but I''m absolutely knocked out by the picture of your grandparents! So ''''40s''!!! And your grandmother dressed to the nines! Is it possible this was a wedding picture of them? Thank you for sharing it.

widget
Thanks! I actually just got the pic from my mom a couple of weeks ago. She didn''t know, but it does look to me like a wedding picture. I think it''s very romantic. The old pictures of my grandma have always reminded me of the Hollywood starlets. She was beautiful. I wish she''d lived until I was old enough to ask lots of questions about her life. I was only eight when she died. Anyway...I love the old pictures. And I''m really enjoying this thread too.
1.gif

Date: 5/25/2005 10:45:30 AM
Author: njc

Rowan - I love your grandmothers ring! Have you taken to a jeweler? We thought the stones in my grandmothers ering were chips too, but they ended up being really tiny single cut diamonds. Our jeweler said they dont cut anything near that size any more. Just a thought!
Thank you.
1.gif
I only took it to a jeweler once a LONG time ago to have a diamond replaced. All he said was that it was costing me more than the whole ring would have cost in 1934. I have found a good jeweler here so maybe I should take it to him and let him have a look.

style="WIDTH: 99.35%; HEIGHT: 58px">Date: 5/25/2005 12:42:18 PM
Author: JCJD
Rowan - The photo of your grandparents is so classic! I like the scrollwork on the sides of the ring too. The detail in these heirloom pieces are just incredible!
Thank you! I think the picture is amazing myself. I plan to have it blown up and hang it in a place of prominence.

Everyone''s jewelry is so fantastic!!! I love the old jewelry, especially rings. I am afraid to wear my grandma''s ring, though, because it''s delicate and old, though I don''t think it was worn much. Do you guys wear your heirlooms at all?

HI:

It is like Pooh''s Blustery Day out there--a good time to post pics of jewellery. This piece has been in my posession for over twenty years--and although I have very little information about it, I know it was from my Father''s side of the family. Doesn''t get much wear, but it is quite a feminine piece.

cheers--Sharon

Heirloom1.JPG

Canuk-girl,

You have to get us a neck shot- that is A-MAZ-ING!!!!!!
You''ve never had it appraised?!
I have a lot of costume stuff like that from my Nana but none of it is the real thing....I''m drooling!!!!!!!

Author: Rowan
Do you guys wear your heirlooms at all?
Rowan: I wear almost nothing but heirloom jewelry...except that they''re someone else''s heirlooms! (My mom''s retro yellow gold pieces don''t work for me right now.)

I actually think some of these older pleces are better made than many modern ones. The fact that they''re so old and intact speaks well of their durability.

Canuk-girl...that necklace is just amazing!
30.gif
30.gif

widget

PS. Obviously for older pieces, it''s probably worth while having a jeweler check them out for any problems, loose stones, etc...but then I think they should be worn and enjoyed!

Yes please get your older pieces looked at for loose stones or prongs. My SIL lost her OEC out of her engagement ring and it took me a good while before I found a nice OEC to replace the one she lost. I just got the ring back from my bench jeweler and it is amazing. I told her that she better take good care of this cause there aren''t many nice OEC''s out there. Nan is coming for a visit tomorrow and we''ll post some pics of it, stay tuned!!!!
1.gif

Date: 6/2/2005 6:35:29 PM
Author: fountainfairfax
Canuk-girl,

You have to get us a neck shot- that is A-MAZ-ING!!!!!!
You''ve never had it appraised?!
I have a lot of costume stuff like that from my Nana but none of it is the real thing....I''m drooling!!!!!!!
HI ya''ll:

FFF: I have not have this piece appriased--when my Dad gave it to me he provided some details about the stones (he was a jeweller and gemologist); just over 3 CTW, baguettes, rb ''s (full and single cuts), and Sl1-2 clarity. Oh, and thank you for your kind words.

Widget--you have an amazing collection of pieces and I am gratified to know that they get worn. I used to wear my necklace more, but if find I often reach for other choices these days--maybe I''ll drag it out of "storage"!

Kaleigh: I was worried about buying that Estate piece (ring recently posted on this forum) b/c if I lost one of the (chipped) OEC diamonds, I worried about its replacement: but then I recalled that Dave Altas is a potential supplier and I was less worried.

cheers--Sharon

wow. this is my new favorite thread! I love looking at everyone''s treasures.

ah blueroses..that emerald cut ring is so incredibly lovely....

Canuk-gal,
The smaller OEC''s are easier to find than the larger ones, and yes Dave is a great source. However when I went looking for my SIL for a 1.5-2.0 it was slim pickins.
2.gif

Kaleigh,
Please post pics of your sister OEC. That''s what I have and you don''t really see too many around here
1.gif

I hope to tomorrow. It is an amazing stone and I searched high and low for it and am very pleased. I told my SIL if she looses this one there are no more out there to be found!!!! Look for it around lunchtime tomorrow EST.

Hi, All....

I just had a thought that may be obvious, but it just occurred to me and I thought I''d pass it on...

I recently started a thread featuring a diamond I inherited from my mother. I included all it''s history that I know of.

It occurred to me that my kids certainly don''t know that history, so I typed up "the story" behind the diamond, and tucked it away with the cert.

Now when it''s time to "transfer custody" to the next generation, they''ll know all about it!

Don''t you think this is a good idea?

1.gif
widget

I thought I''d BUMP this thread....my all-time-favorite...in case some newbies don''t know it''s here and have some old treasures to share...

Remember: Stories, sentiment and family pictures are more precious than "bling"!
1.gif

widget

Hi, this is a diamond pendant that my mum got from my grandmother (her MIL). It''s probably 22K since this is Singapore. I don''t think it''s very valuable at all coz they are not "full" diamonds but more like shards. It seems that was a cheap alternative in those days. However, I still think it''s pretty cool. Take a look and let me know what you think.

GrandmaPend.JPG

Here is a close-up of the "diamonds".

CloseupGrandDia.JPG

And here is the first piece of jewelry my mum ever bought. She saved up a few months for it, so it''s got a fair bit of sentimental value for both of us. It is a jade and diamond pendant set in platinum and is probably at least 40 years old. And now it''s mine!

MumJadePend.JPG

DiaDiva....both of those are so neat!!

The gold pendant is really astonishing...I wonder if those are rough diamond crystals? How cool! It looks like each "leaf" was designed to fit around each little stone! And your Mom''s jade pendant...gorgeous!

Thanks for sharing!
3.gif

I''m always so excited when I see that this thread has been revived...

widget

That grape pendent is so fun and lovely...I wonder if widget is right. The diamonds do sort of look like the rouch posted in the picture gallery. You jade pendent is lovely too! I love the sentimental value of both! Soo pretty!

Here is my wedding ring. I won''t go into the background of it for now, but does anyone have any idea of what type of engagement ring to match to it? It is a tough one to match, but for sentimental reasons I would like to try. Any suggestions and particularly pictures of potential matches would be appreciated. Since this thread is about family heirlooms, if anyone has a simple but pretty and unique family ER that would match this WB, I''d love to see pictures! Thanks!

(p.s. if you think this wedding ring isn''t pretty enough to bother matching, that feedback would be helpful as well.)

DSCN1407.JPG

Author: Odilia
........ if you think this wedding ring isn''t pretty enough to bother matching, that feedback would be helpful as well.)
Are you kidding? I think it''s beautuful!

It seems to me that lots of solitaire engagement rings would look nice with that band...have you tried some different styles on in a jewelry store to see what you like?

I''d think it''d look great with a really simple gold cathedral mounting, or with one with a diamond band, too.

If you really want a ring to "match", you could probably have one custom custom made. Check out: www.jewelryexpert.com/catalog/art-of-the-engraver-cer.htm ....they do beautiful work.

If you don''t get too many responses here, you might repost your question in RockyTalk or Hangout and get more responses. Maybe someone can do some photoshop magic with more ideas..

Good luck!
widget

PS...when you have time, would love to hear all about your band...it''s history, etc.

PPs...By the way: Welcome to Pricescope!
35.gif

Dia - I love your pendants! The jade was is just amazing... i love the little star in the middle!

Welcome Odilia! You wedding band is beautiful... i would love to hear the story behind it when you get a chance!
30.gif

I totally agree with widget... a nice solitare would look fantastic and i am a little partial to cathedral type settings!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP