shape
carat
color
clarity

So I picked up a pink diamond...

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, the fluorescent light thing is a bother. I'm waiting to find a good day to test it out in my office, at a couple of malls with fluorescent lights, and a horrible pharmacy with all white fluorescent lights to see how it goes.

So far I've picked up these tips and ideas:
Contrast colours, colour cups, wrapping the gem with foil (shiny and not) to see the way it might look covered up, halos, side stones, gray contrasts, D coloured contrasts... I'm still listening.

Oh and I can't believe I never uploaded the cert for those that like looking at these things. The stat pros can chime in of course. It is NEVER going to look like a vivid or intense pink - but I think it definitely shows up pink in most light... Except in UV where it should be bluish purple. Yet to try. :Up_to_something:

0.53ct Fancy Pink GIA.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh how cool, strong blue fluor, and such high clairty.
My asscher has medium blue and it's soooo cool.
It is like getting an extra show in UV lighting.
Does your pink look a little more purplish in sunlight?

Have you louped it the side view to see the internal graining?
Mine looks like lines of a zebra, except the lines are pink.
The lines are 45 degrees to the table so they are not visible face up.
I'm curious whether every pink is cut so its graining lines are 45 degrees to the table.
I would guess this would maximize the color face up, but further limit the use of the cut when they want to polish away inclusions or optimize weight retention.

I've read it is the main way pinks get their color though not everything I read is conclusive.
It is also evidence of the violent geological process that results in the pink color where enormous forces pushed on one side of the diamond over millions of years.
I've heard it compared to pressing down on the top of a deck of cards and pushing sideways so all the cards move to the left but the ones near the top move more than the ones near the bottom.

Hope you don't mind me posting pics with blue and gray side stones.
I'll do one more with Ds.
For comparison without scrolling I'll post all 4 pics in one post.

I've been accused in the past of shoving colored diamonds down everyone's throats.
I guess I'm as guilty of that as everyone at PS is of shoving white diamonds down everyone's throat. :lol:
We are all just crazy about what we love.

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
Tristan, I like that you seem to want to keep things simple with the setting. To be honest, and of course this is only my opinion, but I feel that if you get a pink diamond, then start putting it in rose gold with a pink halo and pave on the band etc. etc.... I just think it's veering away from simple elegance and toward Mariah Carey territory. IMO with pink especially, there's a line between elegant and girly-girl. Not to mention that you spent some serious coin on the diamond and that should be what people notice first, instead of having to try to make sense of a ring with a dozen different design elements.

I love your idea of a three-stone with D sides. :appl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

i LOVE those grey pears with the pink!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
When making a big important purchase I think everyone has moments of uncertainty, don't stress. I am sure once it's set you will be absolutely thrilled with your choice.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
When making a big important purchase I think everyone has moments of uncertainty, don't stress. I am sure once it's set you will be absolutely thrilled with your choice.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stone, the D sides will definitely help with the contrast. I see from you cert. that the stone has strong blue fluor, from that I would recommend looking at having RG prongs for the center stone to help with it's pinkness and Plat for the rest of the ring :) Congrats, can't wait to see the finished ring!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa.

I am honestly shocked by how PINK it is beside those whites! I think rose gold will really help bring out the colour, and I too love the idea of those luxurious Ds as - well, asides ::)

I'm not loving the blues, greys, violets... coloured centre with white sides is unique, but remains firmly in the "classic" category for me - coloured centres with coloured sides veer precipitously into fashion jewellery IMO.

And if it's still not pink enough for you - OPI California Raspberry to the rescue! (that's just a splotch on the culet, btw 8) )

Pink.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am torn. I vote colorless sidestones. But I can't really decide if a halo would enhance the diamond the way you might like or if sides would enhance it ENOUGH. Or if something else would work better.

For some reason I don't like the three rounds. So I'm thinking something else--how about tapered baguettes? Or tiny french/carre/step cuts? I feel like the contrast between color AND shape/cut would really help the pink shine instead of just a different color. I know that I feel like a round colored stone really pops against some white step cuts. I'll post pics of the two I have...and one that's kind of similar to the idea.

For the record, I LOVE gray stones. I have a gray ering after all (pictured!). But not for this ring.

DSCN0744 freke.jpg

gray spinel diffused cloudy skies.jpg

IMG_9474 freke.jpg

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1311867124|2978937 said:
Oh how cool, strong blue fluor, and such high clairty.
My asscher has medium blue and it's soooo cool.
It is like getting an extra show in UV lighting.
Does your pink look a little more purplish in sunlight?

Have you louped it the side view to see the internal graining?
Mine looks like lines of a zebra, except the lines are pink.
The lines are 45 degrees to the table so they are not visible face up.
I'm curious whether every pink is cut so its graining lines are 45 degrees to the table.
I would guess this would maximize the color face up, but further limit the use of the cut when they want to polish away inclusions or optimize weight retention.

I've read it is the main way pinks get their color though not everything I read is conclusive.
It is also evidence of the violent geological process that results in the pink color where enormous forces pushed on one side of the diamond over millions of years.
I've heard it compared to pressing down on the top of a deck of cards and pushing sideways so all the cards move to the left but the ones near the top move more than the ones near the bottom.

Hope you don't mind me posting pics with blue and gray side stones.
I'll do one more with Ds.
For comparison without scrolling I'll post all 4 pics in one post.

I've been accused in the past of shoving colored diamonds down everyone's throats.
I guess I'm as guilty of that as everyone at PS is of shoving white diamonds down everyone's throat. :lol:
We are all just crazy about what we love.

Why on earth would I mind? Cuts down some of my work, and broadens my limited imagination. :)

I never knew that's what internal graining meant. They missed out my loupe in my order from idealscope - so I'll get it hopefully tonight. I'll have to see this myself. I know it is VS2... but for some reason I can see 2 specks on the table with the idealscope. Hmm... Didn't think it would be That easy to see an inclusion with a VS2 stone.

You got to let me know what the documentary on Argyle is called. I'll need to hunt it down.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1311901764|2979382 said:
Whoa.

I am honestly shocked by how PINK it is beside those whites! I think rose gold will really help bring out the colour, and I too love the idea of those luxurious Ds as - well, asides ::)

I'm not loving the blues, greys, violets... coloured centre with white sides is unique, but remains firmly in the "classic" category for me - coloured centres with coloured sides veer precipitously into fashion jewellery IMO.

And if it's still not pink enough for you - OPI California Raspberry to the rescue! (that's just a splotch on the culet, btw 8) )

Pink.jpg

OMG! I wasted a ton of cash! Do you know how much California Raspberry I could have bought?!!!? Sigh. Just needed a bezel setting with a window near the culet and a few squirts or a dipping each time we went out.

I need a moderator to remove this post, otherwise FCDs will devalue.

Think Heinz would work too?

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1311908536|2979481 said:
I am torn. I vote colorless sidestones. But I can't really decide if a halo would enhance the diamond the way you might like or if sides would enhance it ENOUGH. Or if something else would work better.

For some reason I don't like the three rounds. So I'm thinking something else--how about tapered baguettes? Or tiny french/carre/step cuts? I feel like the contrast between color AND shape/cut would really help the pink shine instead of just a different color. I know that I feel like a round colored stone really pops against some white step cuts. I'll post pics of the two I have...and one that's kind of similar to the idea.

For the record, I LOVE gray stones. I have a gray ering after all (pictured!). But not for this ring.

Hmm, I'm actually considering something along the lines of your gray spinel at this point, looking for variations too, and trying to get the scale correct. Not sure if pears will be better.

@Karpouzi - I'm glad the design elements sound good to some other people. ;-) I felt a bit afloat on a raft in the ocean alone with the entire beach turning out to look and wonder what I was doing when I first started down this pink FCD route. I think it is making a bit more sense now. Or others have given up, and decided to play along. ;-)

@Amy's Bling - Thanks for the encouragement. I think its good that each time doubt sets in, if I take a good look at the little pink stone, I feel more right about my decision.

@Stepcut Nut - Thanks! I'm liking the Ds too. We'll have to see...

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I like baguette sides (or bullets) with a round centre too. Nice flash contrast for you maybe. It's very exciting that you have such strong flour - I love diamonds with flour. It'll play all sorts of wonderful games in all lights! How exciting for you: enjoy the journey! :naughty:

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I just scared myself senseless. :-o

(noob alert)
I placed the little pink upside down so it was flat so I could look for the graining... then I noticed that there was what appeared to be a huge crack running around the stone about 1/3 of the way up the pavilion.

I just now realised that it is a reflection. It is right? I'm sure it is. My CZs have it too.

Breathe...

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
I think Freke's idea with the tapered baguettes would be AMAZING. Classic, elegant, AND you wouldn't have to worry about them overwhelming the pink :appl:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1311908536|2979481 said:

I agree. While I think pink with gray or violet side stones would be awesome for a ring (I love the bezel set multi-colored diamond ring), not so sure for an e-ring unless it's something you knew the fiance was 100% on board with (too unique of a preference).
I love Freke's suggestion of using tapered baguettes/french carre/step cuts, perhaps in the band. You see these in the very high end setting and they will do exactly as Kenny's suggested, provide a visual reference for the pink.
I vote against the halo, (but I'm not a big halo fan).
Setting in rose gold will enhance the color (I recently had a peachish topaz set in rose gold and it was amazing the difference it made)
BUT I feel a white metal is more classic and subtle. This is definitely something you might want input from your fiance on, as I know alot of women have strong preferences on metal color,in part because some look better or worse on different skin tones.

Yes, that is a reflection! I had the same freak out when I got my first diamond as well !(how can there be this big hairline crack when it's supposed to be VS???!)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Can you just propose with a simple setting and work with your fiance to pick the final setting?

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Tristan, the pink diamond is gorgeous!! I can definitely see the color.

If you're looking for contrast, a three-stone with D colored sidestones would showcase the diamond nicely. Just be careful with the proportions because you don't want the sidestones to compete with the diamond.

If you're looking to maximize the size, a double halo will do the trick. You can have a rose gold bezel or basket around the center stone while keeping the rest in white metal with white diamonds.

If you or your future fiance want a solitaire look that still has presence, you can do graduated white french cut diamonds as well. The center stone can be in a rose gold bezel or basket while the rest is white gold.

If you really want to go the safe route, propose with a simple solitaire setting and let her choose the final setting, like Pregcurious suggested. Who knows, she just might just love it the way it is. :))

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just checked the thread and realized that you had posted the photos of the stone! Fantastic stone, delicated, bright, awesome! I am not burdening you with advices since I understand you are looking for a 3-stone ring but I think you made a great choice!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results