shape
carat
color
clarity

Some famous Southern California beaches are fake.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've lived here over six decades but had no idea.

Last edited:
Not really fake -- just not natural. (Cue relevance to diamonds, etc.) Imo, so many parks would be called "fake" under that definition because all the trees have been cut down.

Lots of real beaches have their sand replenished or redistributed. One big storm can destroy a beach. They are all transient, geologically (AFAIK).

You're right of course.
FWIW, fake was BBC's word choice.

Humans are NOT about what's natural, yet hypocritically we practically worship nature.
Cars, internet, Disneyland, a trillion-dollar industry to make people NOT look natural. etc. etc.

Still, I found the article very compelling and informative, likely because I live here.
It had never occurred to me that the daily morning beach 'combing' by a giant vehicle stops the natural cycle which would allow plants and animals to colonize a beach.

I bought the book, but haven't opened the package yet.

Last edited:
One learns this living in an old farming community. You mow so the thistles don't take over and supply the finches with down. You mow the milkweed which feeds the monarchs and poisons the neighbor's llamas. I poison the burdock so they don't catch birds. But whatever you do, you will struggle until your last breath because nature is tenacious. At least in Wisconsin.

Nature and humans are at war.
I expect nature will win, and it will thank glob we're gone.

Actually, nature won't thank glob.
Glob, all of them, were invented by humans.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP