shape
carat
color
clarity

Ssssshhhh! Dont tell anyone...but i''m growing my own grass!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
this is probably one of those threads that don''t mean much to anyone except the person that started it, however....

i am just SO excited, i wanted to share it with somebody!

as some of you know, in 2005, i had a serious back incident/surgery and ended up spending a year flat on my face in bed/hospital. a whole year. prior to that i was very active and super involved in showing dogs (setters). it''s something i only got into when i moved to the US at the beginning of 2003, and i did it to force myself out of the house and to meet people. i knew showing and owning dogs would force me to walk lots, get out of the house, join groups, take classes, travel and so on and so on so i could get the most out of living in this wonderful, exciting, beautiful new country. so i got dogs.

shortly after we came here we bought a house. unfortunately it had no landscaping whatsoever. and i mean none. imagine bare dirt...well, mud, really, when it rained. there was a 6 x 6'' slab of concrete when you came down the back stairs, then mud. so when i got the dogs, we were forced to walk them - All. The. Time. if they went outside, they were COVERED in mud and would transfer that mud to the floors, the carpet, the furniture, the walls, and so on and so on. and then in 2005 i injured my back. no more dog walks; these dogs are BIG and STRONG.

so we just had to let them go outside to play and exercise. tim did what he could alone, but i''m the one who''s home during the day whose job it was to walk them, so, when i stopped, there really was no option save to let them into the back yard.

over the next 4 years they progressively transferred my back yard into my house. i dont know how often the average person washes down their baseboards, but i did mine twice a week. which killed my back, of course, and really hurt my recovery, but was my only option. people would say to us "but kareyn - it''s just a little dirt..." then they''d come over and see it, and they''d never say that again. we''re talking BUCKETS of mud - on the walls, floors, EVERYWHERE.

so 2 years ago we started to haul it back. we laid cobblestone, then a bit more, then some more... we replaced all the fences (when we bought this house we had 5 different types of fences in the back yard alone - all falling down!) we did retaining walls (prior to this we had none save for some piled crushed concrete). then we put up a dividing fence to keep the dogs on the cobblestones. and then....on our previously all-brown back yard....

WE LAID GRASS!

we mowed it for the first time the other weekend, and i''m just SO thrilled, i wanted to show anyone willing ot look at it the finished project. it''s GREEN!! who knew???

no more mud, no more dirt in the house, clean dogs (we also used to spend $150 every 2 weeks having the dogs professionally groomed. the expense came in lots of ways...)

i am just one happy lady. i sat out there with some friends today for lunch and just had to share it with the wonderful folks on PS. so here it is - my very own...

GRASS!! (and fencing, and retaining walls, and even some plants! and a whole heap of cobblestone too! :D )

s_IMG_2636.jpg

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
look at the color of that green! i've been looking at brown out there for 5 years, so it took a while to get used to; initially it looked garish!

s_IMG_2666.jpg

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
here''s the baby of the house, Poppy, my 2 yr old irish red and white setter. it took her and dixon a little while to get used to the new arrangement, and she would DEARLY love to get over the fence to dig up the grass - but she''s settled down now and seems happy enough with having clean paws. :)

s_IMG_2655.jpg

April20

Ideal_Rock
Your grass looks beautiful!!!! Such a long road to get there, but now it''s done. I bet you are so relieved!

I fully appreciate your situation, though mine is not nearly as dire. I have NO grass in my back (or front) yard either. None. What I do have is ivy, invasive weeds and weird ground cover that may or may not have been intentionally planted. I was plotting to go put and mow it super short, rake the clippings, pull the weeds and put down grass seed, but the last time I did that (another house), I thew my back out for three days and it was so not good. I live in the south though and it''s now 90 on a daily basis and we''re still under watering restrictions due to the drought the last couple years (though they have been lessened recently). I''ve finally come to terms with the fact that I''m not going to have grass this year. We have to wait until fall.

Congrats on your fully landscaped backyard- enjoy it!!!!!!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
and here you can see the house. 3 storys high, plus an extra one in the basement. so cleaning meant up and down and up and down and up and down. i once decided to count how many stairs i did in a day between cleaning, running around behind the dogs, and general living. i gave up when i passed a thousand at 10am. the house is a victorian, built in 1906 - pretty to look at and a total nightmare to clean. one day, in the area to the left, which is rather larger than it looks in this shot, we plan to put in a substantial fountain so we have the sound of running water. :) and one day, when the dogs are old enough, that black fence will come down, and we''ll open it all up again. but for now, this arrangement is....

HEAVEN!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

thanks for letting me do a ''reverse-vent''! sometimes life is just wonderful!
9.gif

s_IMG_2659.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
not exactly what i expected when i read in the first lines re surgery........
emteeth.gif

the place looks great! congrats!

mz

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
whitby, I think your backyard looks fabulous! and your grass is so green and healthy! What type of grass seed did you use? I''ve been trying to improve the look of my front lawn for years. I''ve sprinkled many dozens of bags of grass seed on it, all to no avail. We even had a lawn service for the last couple of years and they haven''t made miracles either. It''s very frustrating!

I love your cobblestone and your white fence. It looks really sharp
2.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats! I can only *imagine* what it would be like to have VIRGIN grass. WEED-FREE lush, spankin'' new verdant wall-to-wall.
30.gif

We''ve been slowly reclaiming our "yard" from the encroaching wilderness for years now. Season after season -- trying to hold our ground & gain just a few inches, feet, here & there. SAVOR IT while its PRISTINE!!!!!!!! I''d be out there rolling around nekkid on it ... swear i would.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha ha ha ha, Whitby, I love the title of your thread. Your house and yard are gorgeous!!! There is nothing like a spanking brand new lawn!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Looks great, congrats! I totally would have hired a cleaning service! I can''t imagine cleaning that place!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well shoot, this wasn''t what I was expecting......
9.gif

However, your grass, and yard look fabu!! Seriously, nice job!
36.gif
Dare I say, smokin.
smoke.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 7:11:26 PM
Author: Ellen
9.gif

36.gif
Dare I say, smokin.
smoke.gif

seriously - you crack me up. where on EARTH do you get those emoties?!

(no - dont tell me - i dont want to know; each one is a surprise every time you use a new one!!)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha ha ha ha ha. I think Ellen thought it was the somkin'' grass ha ha ha.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 7:15:54 PM
Author: whitby_2773

Date: 6/15/2009 7:11:26 PM
9.gif

36.gif
Dare I say, smokin.
smoke.gif

seriously - you crack me up. where on EARTH do you get those emoties?!

(no - dont tell me - i dont want to know; each one is a surprise every time you use a new one!!)
lol.gif
Ok, but if curiosity gets the best of you, I can be persuaded to divulge my resources.
Whistle2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 7:32:08 PM
Author: Linda W
Who meeeee?
bat%20eyes3.gif

9.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
WOW! Looks much better than any grass I have tried to grow! I''m impressed!
36.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 7:35:28 PM

Who meeeee?
bat%20eyes3.gif

9.gif

Yes you, Miss Innocent Ellen.
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 7:37:18 PM

Who meeeee?
bat%20eyes3.gif

9.gif

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
lol.gif

creepaway3.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 7:43:17 PM
Date: 6/15/2009 7:37:18 PM

Who meeeee?
bat%20eyes3.gif

9.gif

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
lol.gif

creepaway3.gif

ok, that one''s totally my favorite so far... (and it suits Miss E just toooooo well, too!)

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Well it''s not quite what I had expected, but it sure is purty!

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 6:59:26 PM
Author: decodelighted
Congrats! I can only *imagine* what it would be like to have VIRGIN grass. WEED-FREE lush, spankin'' new verdant wall-to-wall.
30.gif

We''ve been slowly reclaiming our ''yard'' from the encroaching wilderness for years now. Season after season -- trying to hold our ground & gain just a few inches, feet, here & there. SAVOR IT while its PRISTINE!!!!!!!! I''d be out there rolling around nekkid on it ... swear i would.
Ditto this!

Whitby - your yard and home are GORGEOUS! Congratulations!
30.gif

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Whitby your backyard is beuatiful and I love your house! That cobblestone area looks like the perfect place to sit and relax and sip lemonade... (while looking at the beautiful green grass of course!)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your backyard looks so beautiful, peaceful and serene - I just love it!

That's quite a story but it looks like you have done an outstanding job - enjoy!!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your yard looks incredible and yes serene! I tried to grow grass a couple times to no avail
15.gif
then had to hire a landscaper to put sod in but yours look amazing.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 6:54:12 PM
Author: movie zombie
not exactly what i expected when i read in the first lines re surgery.
Me neither
2.gif
-- but it looks great! Good for you!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It all looks lovely! Enjoy your new yard and patio and your newly clean house!

ETA I'm not sure why, but looking at your pictures brings to mind a relaxing on the patio, a wineglass in hand....

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Whitby,

I LOVE your house and pretty yard....CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
36.gif

Lori

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Oh april20! What a nightmare that sounds! In my first house I had a back yard completely full of broad leaf weed. My husband would go to work and I’d sit outside with a fork (which proved to be the most effective method) and prize some out every day. Took me 18 months to get rid of it all. and ivy is diabolical to remove - you have my sympathies!!

Thanks movie_zombie! And – what did you THINK I meant??

Hi gemgirl ☺ thanks for the comments re the fence and stone – we really had o option as one of the 5 types of fence we had was the white, which our backyard neighbours had put in to surround their pool. It was the only one we couldn’t replace, so we decided to ‘not fight ‘em – join ‘em.’ And re your lawn, you might be at the stage where it’s the dirt which is your problem; sometimes the only way forward is to lift and re-soil. Have you tried top soiling?

Decodelighted, I haven’t tried the ‘rolling around nekkid’ approach yet, but you’re welcome to it. If I happen to go out there and see a woman doing said behavior, I’ll...invite you in for coffee. :D

Thanks Linda. I just LOVE it. I love gardens, flowers, plants, trees – anything green! What you can’t see in the photos I posted is that the trees link up overhead to give a complete canopy. In summer, the whole yard is shaded, with dappled sunlight. It gives the air a green glow. Incredibly beautiful. (for 5 years, all I did when I was out there was look up – sorta took my mind off what was underfoot…)

Thanks Ellen. Never thought anyone would say my yard here was fabu. The response I normally got was “Oh YUK – I’m covered in muuuud! Kaaaareeeeynnn – have you got a cloth or something??!” Got that a lot, actually….
9.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Oh Whitby, all that hard work has paid off - your yard is now a gorgeous oasis! I have serious yard-envy! I love that you have mature trees too, not just brand spankin'' new mini-trees. You could be on one of those landscape design shows on HGTV!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Hi DiamanteBlu! You’ll never be as impressed with my lawn as I am with your jewelry collection! Yowza! There''s something to be said for green lawn. We also used completely new soil and we’ve had a truck load of rain. All of which has conspired to give us that particular color! And NOBODY walks on it either! Purely decorative at this point, so I think that helps!

Thanks porridge ☺ (I’m just about to have a bowl of your namesake – it’s brekky time here!)

Hallo Patiently_Waiting – and thank you for your kind comments. The house needs work – we’re planning on demolishing that small room at the back and putting on a glass-enclosed dining room and converting the current dining room, which is quite large, to a family room. We also want to reconfigure the bathrooms. And so it goes on….

Thanks upgrade! I’m all in favor of sitting and sipping lemonade! I have a beautiful double hammock in storage somewhere (we’re a bit ‘tri-continental’ when it comes to where our stuff is!) and I want to find that, and set it up on the paving under the trees. When I had that in Australia, we used to have a rope tied around a nearby tree, and you could lay in the hammock and pull the rope, rocking yourself gently back and forth…. ☺

Thanks MissGotRocks! To be honest, all the yards around where I live are so lovely, my yard will never stand out as being particularly special. But at least it no longer looks like a sore thumb!

Hi D&T. We considered sod cause I wanted INSTANT lawn! But we had to go with seed as our yard is so heavily shaded in summer. We wondered whether we’d be able to grow any grass in fact – wondered whether that was why there had been none up till now. But we bought special ‘heavy shade’ seed, and it seems to be going great guns.

Thanks mscushion. ☺ Sorry to have been misleading, but it just seemed more interesting than “hey – look at my lawn!”

VRBeauty – I’m so glad it evokes feelings of restfulness now; for years it just made me want to pull my hair out! And the wine sounds perfect. We have a wrap around verandah along the front/side of our house, and table and chairs out there, and I can assure you, much wine drinking has gone on there over the years!!

Hallo Lori ☺ Thank you for your kind comments. Now come on over and let me give you a little New York recuperative holiday! I’ll set you up in the back yard and feed you yummy things and tell my dogs to keep you company. We can pipe music outside, too, so we can listen to some nice jazz, drink a little, eat a little, and laze the days away. I can think of no better way to use my new back yard…. xo

Cellantini – you’ve got me chuckling! Thank you for your very kind comments! Westchester county has nothing if not mature trees and my back yard has a full overhead canopy, which is one of the things which made doing it over so challenging; I’ll never be able to do big beds of flowers, tho I hope to do a lot of shade plants when the dogs are older. We were actually on a couple of shows in Australia for various renovations we did, but that was many moons ago now; now I just want to hire a contractor and have someone come do it for me, then hold a party to celebrate!

Thanks for all your nice comments, ladies - i know this thread has little meaning to anyone other than me. just wanted to share cause i''m sooooo pleased!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results