carat
color
clarity

Summer Movie Blockbusters 2024

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I'd like to resurrect a fun thread that was a summer staple here for many years. Please add your recommendations/suggestions (or regrets) for the 2024 "blockbuster" movie season. Also share how you take in the experience? IMAX, local theatre, etc.

No question, we'll see Twisters. I cannot forget Bill Paxton (RIP) in his original fun role. And Shania Twain for her great song. We'll be in Cali when this new one comes out...but we have a plan.

For big BB, I like the comfy seats + food service. For me it enhances the experience--and for my family as well.

OK your turn!

cheer--Sharon

Thanks for starting this thread!

My daughter and I just saw “IF” this past weekend. It was the last day of our Florida vacation and the only day it rained the entire 8 days, so I decided to see what the local movie theater had to offer that she (just turned 12) might actually enjoy.

We both LOVED it. Just a very sweet premise and message for all ages. 10/10 highly recommend!

Furiosa was not bad.

Anybody going to see the Watchers?

I have not been to the cinema in the past few months due to work and other commitments, including being away from home for over a month in total number of nights over 3 trips.

The last films I saw were on the plane to and from Canada in April 2024.

The film that caught my eye is the new Planet of the Apes, and I shall miss it as I am away again when it is being shown in the local cinema over the same week!

If it is still on when I get back then I shall go and see it.

That's probably the only one on the card at present.

DK :))

I haven't been to a theater in decades.
Theaters are too crowded and expensive, and I won't sit through advertising, smell other's jalapeño chili mustard dogs, and get distracted by the lights from 17 "smart"phones in front of me. :nono:

Instead, I'm thrilled and deeply enamored of (enamored with?) the treasure trove of decades of curated fine films streaming on the Criterion Collection (CC).
('Oppenheimer' was a rare exception which I waited to see streaming.)

Seriously, it's amazing how many superb films (which got little or no media attention) are just waiting there for me on CC.
Every month CC emails us a list of what's leaving and arriving soon.
I usually don't even have time to get through those.

Oh well.

Last edited:
I saw Priscilla on the flight home recently, it was OK, not quite what I was expecting.

I usually wait for one of our streaming services to show the latest films, I’m not a fan of going to the cinema these days.

Thanks for starting this thread!

My daughter and I just saw “IF” this past weekend. It was the last day of our Florida vacation and the only day it rained the entire 8 days, so I decided to see what the local movie theater had to offer that she (just turned 12) might actually enjoy.

We both LOVED it. Just a very sweet premise and message for all ages. 10/10 highly recommend!

We saw the trailer for this--and I thought it was sweet. Glad you enjoyed it!

I saw Priscilla on the flight home recently, it was OK, not quite what I was expecting.

I usually wait for one of our streaming services to show the latest films, I’m not a fan of going to the cinema these days.

We attend matinees as a rule--less crowded, good seat selection. The new theatres have really comfy recliners and I love the food service, good quality stuff!

We used to go to the cinema regularly in the UK @canuk-gal, always a matinee. We’d have lunch beforehand, as our local multi-plex was in a shopping centre with lots of places to eat.

We used to go to the cinema regularly in the UK @canuk-gal, always a matinee. We’d have lunch beforehand, as our local multi-plex was in a shopping centre with lots of places to eat.

If we don't to the Super duper IMAX where is restaurant quality food served in the theatre, then we go to a place close to us and hit happy hour elsewhere after. Win win!

HI:

Thinking about Despicable Me 4, and Beverly Hills Cops. Love Eddy Murphy!

cheers--Sharon

I’m waiting for Kung Fu Panda 4 which is on Peacock on the 21st :lol:

Recently watched Arthur the King and wow such a good movie! Great story about perseverance, dedication, an adorable dog and Marky Mark!

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes. We saw it last week and it is fantastic. I’ve been a fan since the 70’s!

Do yourself a favour @dk168 …..you won’t be disappointed.

My daughter and I are Lord of the Rings fans, and this last weekend we finally saw them in the theater on the big screen. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, the extended editions. It was exhausting but so worth it.

Just saw an advert for Paddington 3, he goes back to Peru to visit Aunt Lucy :mrgreen:

Yes to Paddington 3 too.

HI:

I rewatched Paddington last year on the plane home from Maui. Such a cute show. The elderly lady next to me was watching the screen also. Who doesn't like a bear movie?

cheers--Sharon

Recently watched Arthur the King and wow such a good movie! Great story about perseverance, dedication, an adorable dog and Marky Mark!

I'll add it to my list!!!!!

HI:

Saw Beverly Hills Cops 4 and while I love Eddy Murphy, I didn't love the show.

cheers--Sharon

Last edited:
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes. We saw it last week and it is fantastic. I’ve been a fan since the 70’s!

Do yourself a favour @dk168 …..you won’t be disappointed.

Seen it and thought it was enjoyable.

Hoping to watch Inside Out 2 (I enjoyed the original), and also Deadpool & Wolverine.

I am not a huge fan of Superhero films, however, I enjoyed Wolverine.

Inside Out 2 was fantastic! I highly recommend it to anyone, but especially anyone who has anxiety, panic attacks, has a pre teen or a teen. No spoilers but it is clever and insightful and funny and just an excellent characterization of what so many of us experience.

HI:

Saw Twisters yesterday and we all really enjoyed it! My BIL and nephew saw Deadpool and Wolverine last week really enjoyed it also.

cheers--Sharon

We saw Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes on Saturday, it was OK, I can’t say I thought it was great. I prefer the original with Charlton Heston :D

Catching up on films!

Booked to see Inside Out 2 and Deadpool and Wolverine next week.

Twister the week after.

Inside Out 2 was really good.

Can't remember going through all that when I hit puberty though, however, I remember about discovering I liked boys!

DK :lol-2:

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP