shape
carat
color
clarity

The grass is always... A Green Stone Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
So, out of the "big three" (ruby, sapphire, emerald) of traditional "fine" colored gems, emerald seems to be, well, least-likely-to-win Miss. Congenialty...

Why? I think, it''s because a world educated on the "4 Cs" of diamonds doesn''t really go for the included, cloudy emerald. For example, I once showed this $12,000 Fay Cullen beauty to a friend, who herself was shopping for a traditional diamond engagement ring:
c.jpg

The friend''s response?
"Eh... just doesn''t look like a very high quality emerald... so dirty!"

Plus, because of their signature inclusions, emeralds tend to be somewhat brittle and many fear to wear them in rings. Plus emeralds don''t really sparkle...

So why are they so expensive? I don''t know... I sure like ''em... Emerald-lovers, of course, know that it''s called a "jardin," and that inclusions are part of the emerald''s charm... and that color trumps sparkle and what not... then again, what astronomical sums a clear emeralds will fetch!

Regardless, lots of people want an affordable vibrant, unincluded, sturdy green stone. So they turn to Tsavorite garnets, which are a lot cheaper, studier, cleaner, sparklier, bigger, and a deep, vibrant green. See:
b_ygg258aa.jpg
Personally, I think their green is a little TOO yellow-y... I prefer a slightly bluer, milky emerald tone.

Lately, I''ve been thinking that Chrome Tourmaline might be an even better substitute. It''s comes in that just slightly blue-r color, from what I can tell... but, from what I''ve heard, it''s less bright than a Tsavorite and more likely to be included. As Ana (Valeria) pointed out (although her pick for emerald subsitute are tsavorites), "Tourmaline is sensibly dull-er than garnet. And more often included. It''s "drawbacks" might indeed make it a closer emerald look-alike."
See:
T-3704B.jpg

So, anyway, I''d like to open up a thread to discuss all of this... Are emeralds worth it? Why? What do you think of their inclusions? Have you ever had a negative experience with someone turning their nose up at your included emerald? (Not that is matters...) What is your favorite emerald substitute? Do you ever get sick of having to correct people who assume that your tsavorite is an emerald? Do you ever get sick of people thinking you''re crazy for "spending so much on a "garnet"? (Again, not that it matters...) What is your favorite green stone? What are your experiences, opinions, and daydreams about green gemstones?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Valourial...the timing of this thread is perfect for me!

I guess I consider myself somewhat of a collector, and I've wanted a really good emerald for a LONG TIME!!

Several years ago I got a nice tsavorite, hoping it would satisfy my thirst for an emerald. Well, it didn't work It's a nice, sparkly stone...and I like it!... but it just isn't the same!!

For a while I was thinking about Zambian emeralds...they seem to be generally cleaner, and less expensive than Colombian. I "THINK" that Colombians have a slight hint of blue, and a "glow" or "aura" that typical Zambians lack.. I'd love to hear others thoughts on this topic. too...

Anyhow, as I write this, I'm waiting to go down and intercept my mailman who I hope will be delivering an emerald ring from Nelson Rarities...I'm very excited. It is my understanding that this emerald (1.8cts) is "old mine" Colombian material, as the ring dates from the '20s or '30s... I did tell the people at NR that as pretty as the ring is, it will be my impressions of the center stone which will determine whether or not I keep the ring.

If anyone's interested, I'll post my impressions after I get it in my hot little hands.
3.gif

widget

(edited to add) One thing tsavorites have to brag about that most emeralds can't: they're untreated!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Well, I love emeralds, but with the caveat that I love the finest emeralds. When I was buying my demantoid I wanted a green closer to emerald than I could afford with a real emerald. Emeralds, like sapphires, and like rubies, can be so gorgeous, but I think most people only know the less expensive types--such as the ones set in heart pendants at mall stores! Plus, the lack of inclusions of a world-class emerald would also make them more suitable for everyday wear.

This is from gemstone.org:

Stones_Emerald.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah, Widget, that almost blue-green of fine emeralds. Unbeatable!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Widget! Oh gosh! You must post it! Sounds beautiful! By the way, do you have pictures of your tsavorite?
Hest - Did you ever settle on a Demantoid?

I''m very into the blue-green, hazy look, which is why I think that chrome tourmaline in my first post meets my needs better than most tsavorites I''ve seen. I would love a world class emerald... I would love even a somewhat less-than-world class emerald... I actually DO like the inclusions! But even with that said, when I compare the emeralds in my price range to other green gems, I tend to prefer the others. For me, it''s about color, and less expensive emeralds tend not to have as saturated a color. When I compare ALL emeralds to ALL other green gems, there''s no contesting that emerald is king!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Darn it! The posting didn''t work. I''ll try it in three different posts then.

Okay, here''s the Pala pict of what I ended up with:

8184.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
And here''s the very bad picture of it I had to take at night. When I get it back from Pala (they have to polish out some stuff) I''ll get a picture in sunlight, where it looks much brighter.

dem_finalsm.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Finally, here''s the stone everyone wanted me to buy, but that was just too bright for me. I hope someone snatches it up, because Pala doesn''t think stones of this quality will be available much longer now that the Russian mine seems to have dried up.

9426.jpg

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
In real life, does your Demantoid have an almost emerald-y color? Regardless, I''m sure it''s beautiful in its own right! What are you going to do with it?

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I really don''t like included emeralds. The less inclusions the better IMO. Of course I am speaking from the perspective of one that has to set them, and has to re-oil them after they have been cleaned.

I love this thread though. I love green sapphires. I prefer a clean emerald and when I get to use one I always wonder why people would settle for anything else. This one rocked (from my site). Not trying to advertise, but it took me as being how emeralds should look and a lot of people (in the trade) around me agreed.

It is a shame what cheap mall jewellery can do to a good stones image. Case in point, rubies. It seems odd that pink sapphires are more popular. They are great, but it used to be a gemologist joke - ''when you buy them they are sapphires, when you sell them they are rubies''. I am not sure this joke works today. I think that cheap jewellery is responsible for the bad name.

On the brighter side, with all the confusion I suppose this means there are bargains out there to be had!

Phillip

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
VelouriaL, in real life it doesn''t have all the black patches of the Pala picture and is a lot more brilliant than in my photo. It''s really very bright and shoots out yellow and red sparks in the sunlight. Plus, the horsetail is really gorgeous and more easily visible than in the Jell-O green one I turned down.

I''m going to make it into a ring, but I think the hunt for the perfect setting is going to be awhile.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Philip - you''re right. I think when people go into a mall jewelry store and see the black-blue sapphires and bead-quality emeralds, it makes people think that diamonds are the only pretty rocks. And, BTW, I don''t think it''s bad to refer people to your own site as long as you have full disclosure.

Hest - Sooo pretty! What kind of setting are you thinkin about?

By the way - The tourmaline I posted IS NOT a Chrome... just a very pretty green tourmaline!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Hest - Sooo pretty! What kind of setting are you thinkin about?
Right now I''m thinking about something really thin since I ended up with a stone considerably larger than what I was aiming for. As you no doubt have guessed, since I turned down the Jell-O stone, I''m not comfortable with anything that draws too much attention, so a honking big setting with my stone is just going to make me feel self-conscious.

Problem is, though I want a very thing shank--like 2mm or so--I don''t want something plain AND I''m not sure if I want pave either. That leaves me with, uh, no choices right? If you have any ideas for a very thin shank that''s still somewhat decorative please, please let me know!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a chrome tourmaline from Pala''s site:

1921.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and here''s a tourmaline that''s more of a blue-green.

402.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought Zambian emeralds are the ones with the blueish overtone... aside that, of course emeralds have enough tradition and folklore behind them to always be the most wonderful. The first hand of any location is just as glowing to me - perhaps I just didn't see enough of them to make up some prefference. It just so happens the first hand occured in Russia, Afganistan and Columbia a long time ago, and a much shorter time ago in Madagascar and Zambia. You might now what I am getting at
5.gif

If you do like emeralds, probably nothing else would do - totally understand that (I hope).

Btw. Fay does list two nice emeralds aside the larger "mineral display". Either color would do, I guess
2.gif

FayEmeralds.JPG

widget

Ideal_Rock
If you have any ideas for a very thin shank that''s still somewhat decorative please, please let me know!
Hest....what about an engraved shank? I wonder how narrow a shank can be and still be engraved...hmm

I found this at www.jewelryexpert.com .... it gets pretty narrow up by the stone...

widget

Trilliant-Yellow-Diamond-Ring-1.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Hest....what about an engraved shank? I wonder how narrow a shank can be and still be engraved...hmm

I found this at www.jewelryexpert.com .... it gets pretty narrow up by the stone...
Oh yeah, Widget, along those lines. I don''t like that particular engraving all that much, but it''s certainly close to what I was thinking of!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Those are nice! I am also falling in love with this one-
T-4347C.jpg

Hest - What are the dimensions of your dematoid? I this it could look really great in an Etienne Perret halo setting, set east-west:
halo1.jpg
halo2.jpg
pmhring.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my tsavorite I mentioned a while ago...

3.25 tsavorite.JPG

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Do you think people will think I''m crazy if I wind up with tourmaline e-ring? I mean, I''m definitely not in it for other people''s opinions, but STILL...

I''m just REALLY starting to like tourmalines... and they''re SO inexpensive compared to emeralds or diamonds... and what is saved on the stone can go into the setting and side stones, or the honeymoon, or the house, or the up-coming move to San Diego...

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous, Widget! You really do have a great collection!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Wish I could find a close-up shot of this giant e-ring from the tv show, "The O.C." Looks, although I can''t tell frmo this distance, like a Leon Mege.

Never seen the show, but apparantly, the woman wearing it is something of a soap opera villian! The first thing I noticed, after the ring, was that she certainly has some pretty green eyes. My eyes are blue... wonder if I should get sapphire so that that''s the next thing people notice about me! ;-)
melinda-clarke.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2005 5:37:23 PM
Author: velouriaL
Do you think people will think I''m crazy if I wind up with tourmaline e-ring? I mean, I''m definitely not in it for other people''s opinions, but STILL...

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!!!

I am a HUGE fan of colored stones...and I think some tourmalines (especially blue/green ones) are absolutely to die for.

The main reason everyone wants diamonds for their erings is because De Beers has done such a good job of promoting them.

By the way...is that neat cut green stone you posted a tourmaline?

widget

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Widget - Why yes it is! That one has REALLY caught my eye.

I''m just a little apprehensive... I mean, i can imagine havnig SOME explaning to do to my silly Manhattan relatives (the last e-ring to be shown around at thanksgiving was a HUGE Cartier diamond, rather boring, to my eyes, but, needless to say, not anyone else''s!) if I came home with an emerald or sapphire, but I think that I would have even more if I came home with a tourmaline or garnet, you know?

But gosh... that modified brilliant square one Widget noticed is REALLY making my heart flutter about now!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Velouria, my dem is 8.39 x 7.14 x 4.84 mm, and---you read my mind---I''m definitely setting it east-west. The Etienne P settings are really lovely and may be an option if I forgo the more antiquey look. In fact, just last night I was looking at this Leon Mege and wondering if it could be a springboard idea for the dem ring. Funny that you posted the Etienne P, which has that same sleek look!

r317-10W.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
But gosh... that modified brilliant square one Widget noticed is REALLY making my heart flutter about now!
velouria....you sound like this is what you really want.....get what makes you happy!!!
(i think it is BEAUTIFUL!!)

widget

Ideal_Rock
I do have one thought about fancy cut stones like the one you''re palpating over...

I think fancy cuts like that are STUNNING...but don''t conventional prong mountings tend to de-emphasize the neat cuts? It seems they''d have to be bezel set to really show off the shape of the stone....

just a thought

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Ah Widget, that''s a gorgeous color!

Honestly, Vel, I don''t see why you couldn''t go with a garnet or tourmaline for an e-ring. If anyone asks, how could they object when you toss your head and declare, "I wanted something unique!" That''ll shut them up! Not to mention, though they might associate a garnet with something inexpensive (though not if they knew the prices of the finest tsavorites and demantoids!), most probably would have no idea what a tourmaline cost!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I think fancy cuts like that are STUNNING...but don''t conventional prong mountings tend to de-emphasize the neat cuts
Yep, Widget. That''s why my sister''s having her generic asscher diamond bezel set. It was that or do the Leon Mege double prongs, so we didn''t lose the octagonal effect we worked so hard to find. I''m always amazed that people don''t seem to notice when they choose a cool shape and then obscure it with the usual 4 or 6 prong setting!

If I had ended up buying the dem I use as my avatar I probably would have had it bezel-set so I didn''t lose that shape.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results